A Soldiers Race

PDA

DeltaElite
March 11, 2003, 08:06 PM
Wow, what a man. What a set of brass ones he has.
I heard he used a gun in Vietnam, now this thread is firearms related. ;)

Legless Marathoner Still Running LA Marathon

POSTED: 8:10 a.m. EST March 6, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- For most runners, the race began and ended Sunday.

But Bob Wieland is still running the Los Angeles Marathon -- on his hands.

The Vietnam veteran lost his legs in the war, but he's determined to finish the 26.2-mile race.

Wieland swings along on his hands, lifting the weight of his body with his arms.

He began the race Saturday, passed the 100-hour mark Wednesday afternoon and still had more than 10 miles to go. He should reach the finish line in another two or three days.

Wieland is no stranger to beating the odds. He spent more than three years crossing the United States on his hands. He went from Southern California to Washington, D.C., finishing at the Vietnam War Memorial, in front of the name of the medic who lost his life while running to help Wieland.

Wielands Race (http://www.wral.com/news/2022700/detail.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "A Soldiers Race" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HABU
March 11, 2003, 09:49 PM
I saw him on the news the other night. IIRC, it took him a week to finish.:what:

VaughnT
March 11, 2003, 11:20 PM
I wish I was half the man he is. Tee-totally incredible. Will power. Perseverence. Guts. You just can't describe a person like this.:cool:

Blackhawk
March 11, 2003, 11:44 PM
Salute! :)

Phyphor
March 12, 2003, 01:43 AM
Good god, a true credit to America.

I wish I was 1/10th the man he is!

S_O_Laban
March 12, 2003, 02:21 AM
Not to go off topic, but I keep seeing "IIRC". Could some one please kindly fill me in?

enichols
March 12, 2003, 03:00 AM
S_O_Laban:
Not to go off topic, but I keep seeing "IIRC". Could some one please kindly fill me in?
IIRC: If I Recall Correctly

S_O_Laban
March 12, 2003, 03:08 AM
A big "thanks", that one has had me puzzled for quite a while.

:) :)

enichols
March 12, 2003, 09:42 AM
No problem, buddy. Look here for all your web acronyms needs:
The Firing Line's Unofficial Abbreviation Primer (http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/TFL_Primer.htm)
-Nic

enichols
March 12, 2003, 09:44 AM
Oh, and back on topic:
That man is truly incredible. I wish I had that kind of heart and perseverance.

Marko Kloos
March 12, 2003, 10:17 AM
Inspiring, but still off-topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Soldiers Race" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!