The best gun money I've ever spent - 1903 Remington Restoration

PDA

racenutz
March 20, 2005, 05:59 PM
My father bought this rifle back in the fifties. When he bought it it had already been sportized. The bubba that did it made the most god awful looking stock I've ever seen. It looked like it had been carved from a block of wood with a pocket knife. The issue sights had been replaced with a receiver mounted peep & bubba had tried to mount a scope on the left receiver wall. Basically if you could imagine the most butt ugly 1903 this was it. I just wish I had taken before photos.

If you enjoyed reading about "The best gun money I've ever spent - 1903 Remington Restoration" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
racenutz
March 20, 2005, 06:02 PM
A few more pics

Ed
March 20, 2005, 08:40 PM
Beautiful job!!! Where was the scope mounted? I don't see any holes?.?.?

racenutz
March 21, 2005, 12:29 AM
I had all the holes filled. There were 2 on the right side of the rear receiver bridge for the peep site. There was one hole drilled next to the vent hole on the left & two mode places where a hole had been started, I guess these were for some type of side mounted scope.

homeka45
March 21, 2005, 01:02 AM
Looks great, it would have been nice to see the before. Who did the work and how much (ballpark figure) did it set you back?

patentmike
March 21, 2005, 07:44 AM
I hear ya, but mine's a 1917.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/patentmike/th_unsporterizedM1917.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/patentmike/unsporterizedM1917.jpg)

secluded
March 21, 2005, 07:59 AM
Both you folks did some fabulous work. Good job on saving the "Bubba's" and getting them back the way they were supposed to be.

Mossyrock
March 21, 2005, 09:48 AM
Racenutz,

Is that a military replacement stock or a Boyd's? Who did the Parkerizing job? I am in the middle of doing the same thing to a nickel steel Springfield 1903. Fun, isn't it? :D

enichols
March 21, 2005, 10:53 AM
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on wonderful restoration jobs and gorgeous rifles.
Where's the green with envy smily, again?
-Nic

racenutz
March 24, 2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Is that a military replacement stock or a Boyd's?

It's a military replacement. I bought it from the local gunshow mil-surp guru.

Who did the Parkerizing job?

I had it done locally by the guy the guru recommended.

patentmike, that's a nice rifle.

When my father saw the rifle he told me, “That’s a nice 1903 you bought." His jaw hit the floor when I told him, "No dad, this is your old 1903"

My next project will be resorting his Pre-64 Model 70 220 Swift but that will take a lot more work as its missing parts (most importantly the bolt)

BusMaster007
March 24, 2005, 11:08 PM
That's a really cool story.
You're a Good Son... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "The best gun money I've ever spent - 1903 Remington Restoration" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!