springfield armory 7.62 M1, which one is this?

PDA

trapperjohn
March 21, 2005, 12:27 AM
I have access to a SA M! garand configuration that is chambered for 7.62 mm, according to the website their are several varieties, standard, loaded, national match, super match.
how can I tell which one i have?
it is glass bedded, the serial number is 016865, it has a 2 stage trigge. adjusting the elevation, there are 4 "clicks" between each whole number. this makes me think 1/4 MOA, but i didnt see that listed as an option on the SA website. the front sight blade is square and about 0.062"

If you enjoyed reading about "springfield armory 7.62 M1, which one is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Swampy
March 21, 2005, 09:45 AM
trapper,

M1 or M1-A ??? BIG difference.

The commercial company called Springfield Armory Inc's M1-A is their trade name for a civvy legal version of the US Army's SA "US Rifle, Cal 7.62, M14". 7.62 Nato chambering only. It is loaded from the bottom with a 20 round box magazine. The M14 has a two piece stock.... a wood or fiberglass buttstock and a wood or (usually) fiberglass handguard. The M14 also has a flash suppressor as a standard item... AAMOF, the front sight base is integral with the flash suppressor.

M1 is the "US Rifle, Cal .30, M1" ... known as the Garand. Originally in 30-06 chambering but made available in 7.62 Nato by commercial barrel makers today. It is loaded from the top with an 8 round en-bloc clip. The stock is in 3 pieces... a buttstock, a rear handguard and a front handguard. The front sight is mounted to the top of the gas cylinder, there is no flash suppressor (excepting sniper versions-rare).

The varieties you mention... i.e. "standard, loaded, national match, super match".... those are available options ONLY for the M1-A (M14) type. The M1 Garand is available from SA Inc. only as a "issue grade" or standard type.... also a commemorative type (gussied up cosmetics).

Look at the heel of the receiver to see what you have. Does it say M1 or M1-A (M14)???

Re rear sight. Unless is says NM on the side of rear sight wings, which will give you 1/2 MOA clicks, it will be a standard rear sight with 1.0 MOA clicks..... 4 clicks per rev on windage. You can also tell by watching the mark on the sight base. If it takes one rev to go between the marks on the receiver, it's 1.0 MOA clicks. If it takes 2 revs to go between marks, it's a NM sight with 1/2 MOA windage clicks.

Some custom smith's have made 1/4 MOA windage clicks for the M1-A and or M1 by modifying (milling out) the receiver windage wing to 8 detents instead of 4. In this case you would feel 8 clicks per rev. Note: these 8 detents would have to be used in conjunction with the NM 1/2 MOA base and windage knob ino order to get 1/4 MOA clicks.

On elevation, ALL clicks on the knob are 1.0 MOA. YOu can only get 1/2 MOA adjustment with the hooded aperture that rotates up or down in a 1/2 MOA offset. If the sight has the standard open leaf with a hole rear aperture, you only have 1.0 MOA elevation adjust. I've never heard of any way to get 1/4 MOA elevation clicks with an M1-M1A-M14 sight.

Re serial number.... I don't recognise it. It MIGHT be an early version of the M1-A that was made by commercial SAINC back in the 70's.... Call them and ask. The US Army SA did not put zeros on the front of their serial numbers that I'm aware of. That's strictly a commercial thing.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

30Cal
March 21, 2005, 02:16 PM
Is it a USGI M1 SA rifle or a Springfield Inc commercial clone? I think the Spring. Inc rifles start at S/N 7million. My guess is that it's a GI rifle that's been rebarreled to .308 and glass bedded by one of the many civilian armorers that do such work. If it's an M1A (a commercial semi-only clone of the M14) and not an M1, then disregard what I wrote above.

If it takes 4 clicks to move from one index mark to the next, then it's the standard 1MoA windage adjustment.

vanfunk
March 21, 2005, 03:02 PM
SN 016865? Wouldn't that put it squarely into the early gas-trap configuration range? Even with no gas-trap parts left in it, a rifle with that low of a serial number would be highly desireable, IMO.
We definitely need more info on the piece.

vanfunk

trapperjohn
March 24, 2005, 02:13 AM
We definitely need more info on the piece.
Let me know what other info you need.

What is a "gas trap configuration"

I could not find "NM" stamped anywhere on the rear sights.

Matt-man
March 24, 2005, 03:30 AM
With a serial number like that it's gotta be an M1A. Call Springfield Armory's customer service line, give them the serial number, and they should be able to give you more information about the rifle.

Swampy
March 24, 2005, 08:51 AM
trapper,

You STILL have not told us if we are trying to help you with an M1 OR an M1-A.....

... again, HUGE difference.

Which is it??

Look at my descriptions above for clarification.

Best regards,
Swampy

trapperjohn
March 24, 2005, 09:20 AM
OOPS Sorry forgot to mention that fact. M1A, it is the commercial SA model based on the M-14

Swampy
March 24, 2005, 09:43 AM
Trapper,

OK.... M1-A it is... I strongly suspected that from the serial number.

To answer your original question... to find out what type your M1-A is-was as it came from the factory back in the '70's (most likely), you'll need to contact SA INC. in Geneseo IL and ask them what configuration that rifle was when it was originally built and sold.

Unless of course you happen to find the original factory sales papers in the stuff you have...

Best,
Swampy

trapperjohn
March 24, 2005, 12:34 PM
called SA. IT was to early a model to have in their computer database, they said they would look it up and call me.

I looked at the windage marks again, 4 clicks between marks. I am still very curious about how many MOA per click the sights have, guess im going to have a find a mag for it and shoot it.

30Cal
March 24, 2005, 12:37 PM
Those are 1 MoA per click standard GI sights. If you don't see any epoxy/glass around the receiver, then it's a standard model. It almost certainly has a standard GI barrel with GI markings.

Ty

trapperjohn
March 24, 2005, 12:59 PM
it does have epoxy glass around the reciever. I am pretty sure it was a factory bedding job. did they bed the standard variety?

30Cal
March 24, 2005, 01:54 PM
They don't bed the standard ones. There's also a good chance it was done by someone other than the factory (fairly common).

Ty

If you enjoyed reading about "springfield armory 7.62 M1, which one is this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!