Picked up one of those cute rifles...

PDA

Hardtarget
March 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
...You know the type...old,octagon barrel, falling block, .22 single shot...too cute to not bring home! Its a Savage mod 72 and I know I didn't need it but sometimes you go to a gun show and see one that you just need to put in your collection. Really, I bought it for my grandson. I think he will have a good time in eight or nine years...I plan for him to have it for his tenth birthday. This grandaddy thing is cool!
Mark.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up one of those cute rifles..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
homeka45
March 21, 2005, 01:04 AM
What a cool grandfather. No one in my family was into, let alone owned any guns.

anapex
March 21, 2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah those Savage/Stevens Favorites are neat little guns. A good .22 rifle to learn from IMHO, a lot of deliberate steps before the gun will shoot.

Vern Humphrey
March 21, 2005, 04:12 PM
Those are great guns -- I have an original made in the 1890s. I find the modern versions are a bit stiff in the trigger, but you can often fix them by simply "Marrying" the trigger. Be sure the gun is unloaded, point it in a safe direction, cock it and PRESS HARD on the hammer with your thumb, as if trying to force it forward, and pull the trigger. A few times will smooth out and lighten the trigger pull.

cidirkona
March 21, 2005, 06:41 PM
Sounds like one too many might make it dangerous though... :uhoh:

-Colin

Hardtarget
March 22, 2005, 09:52 PM
Hi guys. My grandson is 14 mos old so I've got a little time to check things out before its time to give it to him. I'll take it to the range this weekend to see how it does :D . That will give me another chance to clean it! :D
Mark.

Vern Humphrey
March 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
Quote:
------------------------------
Sounds like one too many might make it dangerous though...
------------------------------

No. It burnishes the mating surfaces. It has no effect on the springs, or the engagement angles. It just makes rough surfaces smooth, for a better and somewhat lighter pull.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up one of those cute rifles..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!