AR15 Wilson barrel Q's

PDA

Longbow
March 21, 2005, 02:33 AM
Is there a way to tell (markings, logo..) on a Wilson barrel for an AR15? A dealer at a gunshows claims the barrel on his uppers are made by Wilson and he's asking $320 for it. I wanted to buy it but I wasn't sure what to look for, for authenticity. So I passed. I'll look at it again next show. With your help, I'm hoping I should beable to tell. Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Wilson barrel Q's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
March 21, 2005, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if there is a way to tell, but it's not like you're getting an Obermeyer or a Black Star anyway. Getting a Wilson is like going to a Conoco for your gas. It ain't race gas, but it's your semi-assurance that the attendant didn't shovel old hot dogs into the tank.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 21, 2005, 09:39 AM
Wilson makes a huge chunk of the barrels sold by various AR15 houses anyway. You could buy a barrel blind without ever looking at who made it and still end up with a decent chance of getting a Wilson barrel.

Harry Tuttle
March 21, 2005, 10:48 AM
don't the wilson barrels have the roll mark with the soccer ball and the hand print?

:evil:

Wilson may have provided the blank barrel
who cut the chamber is a better question

for $320
i would benchmark a new chromelined Colt upper for $450 from CDNN
www.cdnninvestments.com/coara2upwnew.html

yesterdaysyouth
March 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
my wilson barrels aren't marked at all...

homeka45
March 21, 2005, 12:36 PM
Tuttle, Thanks for the link.

Longbow
March 21, 2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks to all!
I knew I made the right decission when I walked out of there. :)

BillL223
March 21, 2005, 09:06 PM
I rebarreled my BM 16" V-Match last year with an 18" stainless 1:8 Wilson. This easliy shoots sub-moa with decent ammo. I understand that Wilson makes JP's barrels. My 1:9 JP upper shoots 2-1/2" 10 shot groups @ 300 yds off a bipod with SMK 69s.

g56
March 22, 2005, 01:36 AM
Make sure you understand, Wilson Arms barrels have no connection to Wilson Combat, these are two entirely separate entities.

Wilson barrels are good barrels, I've got one on my AR-15, just not connected to Wilson Combat.

http://www.wilsonarms.com/

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

Rockstar
March 22, 2005, 06:54 PM
Wilson's one of several manufacturers who supply Midway their Adams and Bennett barrels. Nothing special about a Wilson barrel.

bogie
March 24, 2005, 09:53 AM
If you're gonna spend perfectly good money on an AR-15 barrel, get a Krieger.

If you can't afford it now, give up beer or smokes or a daily latte for a few weeks.

Buy the best, cry once.

bogie
March 24, 2005, 09:54 AM
Oh yeah - unless you plan on shooting those really long, really heavy bullets, think a slower twist...

1/12 or 1/14 works quite nicely with 50 grain bullets, and you can also run 40s or 45s... Granted, they're not much out at 600 yards, but inside 300, great for prairie dogs.

Longbow
March 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks again for all the responses!

No, I'm not planing on spending so much $$ on this one. I got the lower (PWA) long ago for a very good price and I just want it built. A good level of accuracy is desired, but not for so much $$.
I think I'll try to shop around online and try to get one at a decent price. If not, then I'll buy that Wilson upper from him next show.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR15 Wilson barrel Q's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!