height above bore

PDA

Morlock
March 21, 2005, 02:58 PM
how does one measure height above bore? is it to the center of the optic, or to the top of the receiver. Trying to replicate as closely as possible the rail/bore relationship of a m16a4/m4 on an m17s.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "height above bore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
March 21, 2005, 03:53 PM
It's center of optic to center of bore. In some rifles, it's possible to take a caliper reading from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the scope tube, and subtract 1/2 the barrel diameter and 1/2 the scope tube diameter.

Zak Smith
March 21, 2005, 04:31 PM
I just string a ruler or caliper next to my rifle and measure from approx the center of the barrel up to approx the center of the scope. On an iron sighted rifle, you can just use the front sight height over the bore center.

A difference in sight height of 'X' will cause a difference in computed vs. actual trajectory of approx X at twice the zero distance.

-z

Morlock
March 21, 2005, 10:39 PM
thanks for the responses, but unfortunately i do not have a flat top receiver handy. I guess i'm more interested in the distance from bore centerline to the top of the rail center channel on a mil spec upper.

thanks
M

Zak Smith
March 21, 2005, 11:18 PM
Just ask the right question.

The bore centerline to top of the rail is approx 1.185"

If you enjoyed reading about "height above bore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!