How Do You Politely Tell Someone You Don't Want To Trade?

PDA

Spreadfire Arms
March 21, 2005, 07:32 PM
this weekend at a gun show i had a guy asking to trade for a $850 Kimber 1991 pistol. he had in trade:

-a beat up Ruger P91 that looked like about 85%, no box, 1 mag
-a Charter Arms .38 snub, blue, about 90%
-two Saturday night specials, one was rusted, the other one was like a Lorcin or Raven or something along those lines.
-an AMT .380 Backup

he wanted to trade me even for the Kimber. :rolleyes: i didnt want to insult the guy's guns, but man, $550 (tops) worth of junk is not an even trade and besides, i don't want to put saturday night specials out on my table.

"Can I see that Lorcin next to your MP5?"

What do you say to a guy like this? I recommended he sell them and get cash and come back. That sounded good but I'm not sure how to nicely tell someone that his items aren't worth trading for......

If you enjoyed reading about "How Do You Politely Tell Someone You Don't Want To Trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BryanP
March 21, 2005, 07:42 PM
"I'm sorry, but I really don't need any of what you've got there."

But hey, I saw a version of your joke this past weekend at a local gun show. Nestled in among a sea of Lorcin, Jennings and similar fare was a brand new pristine HK P7M10. It looked so out of place it was pathetic.

Dionysusigma
March 21, 2005, 07:42 PM
I can think of two ways.

1) A polite "No, but thanks anyhow" :)
2) Up the price by 125%. That is, if it isn't marked. (And no, I don't think that's honest.) :scrutiny:

Did he call the Kimber an MP5, or did you have an HK-93/SP-89/Mp5 on your table? :uhoh:

Deavis
March 21, 2005, 07:45 PM
What Kimber? What in the heck are you talking about? I saw your table and the only thing there was a SAW, Glock 18, a PDW, and uh... a SAW, Glock 18, a PDW, and uh... :) Are we talking about the same gun show?

Why don't you just tell him the truth? If it isn't enough in trade, it isn't enough in trade. You know what his stuff is worth and you don't want to trade based on his offer. So, if he gets upset about your honest assemsment of his property then it isn't like you have lost any business by telling him how much it is worth. Are you worried about offending him personally?

Wildalaska
March 21, 2005, 07:56 PM
How about..."Go take your crap somewhere else youre wasting my air"

Thats usually what I say to Spiff

WildespeciallywhenwhewantstotradehiskimberonacoltAlaska

:what: :neener:

brian roberts
March 21, 2005, 07:57 PM
no, he probably wasn't afraid of insulting him personally....he...just din't want....the guy to go.....on a SHOOTING spree, after he got pi$$ed off, then steve'd probably have to clean up the mess w/the MP5, an' then the MP5 would no longer be "NIB". (he was hoping to sell that pristene example, an' wanted to keep it that way as long as he could) :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
March 21, 2005, 08:09 PM
What do you say to a guy like this?

Version 1: "Thanks all the same, but no."

Version 2: "No, but if I suddenly find myself in need of scrap iron, I'll keep you in mind."

spacemanspiff
March 21, 2005, 08:15 PM
WildespeciallywhenwhewantstotradehiskimberonacoltAlaska
ess-squeeze me, mr pillsburydoughboy? as i recall, i'm the one turning down your offers of "let me trade that kimber in for you, get a great deal on a colt".

3 years, thousands upon thousands of rounds eaten, and the only problems my preeeecciouuussss kimber has had are magazine related.

you cant expect me to metamorphis into a full-blown-colt-snob overnight. these things take time.

Smoke
March 21, 2005, 09:43 PM
"Bug off!"

Sometimes politesness doesn't work.

Smoke

Spreadfire Arms
March 21, 2005, 09:57 PM
deavis wrote:

"What Kimber? What in the heck are you talking about? I saw your table and the only thing there was a SAW, Glock 18, a PDW, and uh... a SAW, Glock 18, a PDW, and uh... Are we talking about the same gun show?"

haha....

the MP5A2 was sitting in the same glass case as the MP5K-N and the two Glock 18's. i guess your attention was diverted! there was also an HK G36K and a Colt M4A3.

the Kimber was over by the pistols on the side opposite the AR-15's. actually there were two Kimbers but he wanted the more expensive one!

well...as big of a heap of junk someone's pistol may be, don't forget, it could have been passed down as a family heirloom or perhaps his grandfather gave it to him, etc. meaning, it could have sentimental value or something. heck, maybe it saved his life. who knows. i just don't want to disparage someone's shootin' iron.

but yeah, a Lorcin just doesn't belong on the same table as a M249SAW, two MP5's, two Glock 18's, a G36K, etc etc. what i told him was that "people don't normally come to me for budget guns. someone else may be able to move these but i don't think i'll be able to resell them."

does that sound good? ;)

mustanger98
March 21, 2005, 10:08 PM
This thread reminds me of some of why I quit doing business with this one shop here. No junk here. They had plenty. The guy spent 15 minutes trying to get me to remove a... ahhhh, can't remember what it was, one of them stupid looking black 9mm refrigerator shooters. I got a decent deal on a Super Blackhawk built in 1976 with a Safariland scabbard that evening though. Thing is, those idiots tried their best for six months to get me to buy a $800+ AR15 and I never would do it. :cool: They started insulting me with used car sales tactics, they got pretty condescending too, so I quit going in there.

azrael
March 21, 2005, 10:23 PM
Spreadfire arms,
You handled it properly IMO...I have been the one holding "junk" before (LONGGG TIME AGO!!) and all it would have taken for me to never spend a dime with ya, was a sarcastic comment (Ask Treasure World in Asheboro NC how forgiving I am!)...Granted I may never have the kind of budget to buy a $1000.00 Kimber or Colt, but one day I just might and if so, I would be far more inclined to spend it with someone that treated me like a person, NOT a bum...Although in there defense I do resemble someone that ya might see on America's Most Wanted NOT "The Best Looking and Most Talented Holster Maker ALIVE!!!!!"tm.....ahhhh...well that lives in Staley anyway ;)

I say, ya did the right thing in not making a fool of the guy...Maybe one day, his cup will "runneth" over and he will think of you to help him alleviate his wallet of it's hideous burden

<Bruce voice on>
Good ON ya mate!
<Bruce voice off>

Yo Spiffy,
Ken is a Colt snob...There is no cure that is known to man for that dreaded disease :D

Spreadfire Arms
March 21, 2005, 10:23 PM
you're right, mustanger98. your feelings of why you don't like that particular dealer are because of the way they treated you. i don't want anyone to feel like their guns, be it good or bad or whatever, are inferior to my inventory. that is just pure opinion.

thanks for the input.

cowboybobb693
March 21, 2005, 10:32 PM
Gents.
I have known Steve for a couple of years. He is the type of guy that would no more insult your weapons, your wife, your dog etc...
He is just a good guy and he has some REAL kool stuff at the shows, unfortunately, he does get the " weaponly braindead" at his booth. I have observed him speak to these folks, he is patient and will answer all of their questions.
But, some folks are just plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " hey buddy, I'll trade ya this $29.00 piece of crap for that MP5 ya got there, maybe I'll kick in a couple of bucks to sweeten the deal" :banghead: :banghead:
Yes, I have heard that at the Austin show, just amazes me !!!

Larry Ashcraft
March 21, 2005, 10:32 PM
Politely
nicely
There's your problem. No way to "politely" or "nicely" talk to someone who is trying to blatantly rip you off.

Spreadfire Arms
March 21, 2005, 11:11 PM
hey bobb!

thanks for the kind words, i didn't see you at the show. i take it your wife made you clean the house or something :neener:

i like this comment: unfortunately, he does get the "weaponly braindead" at his booth.

wow....that line says it all. in response to the above post of "kindly" and "politely," there is nothing wrong with being kind and polite! as long as i know the guy is trying to take me for a ride (or is just plain stupid), i can just decline the deal somehow. just look at the Bachman Pawn & Gun thread where board members are leaving with a bad taste in their mouth.

ill tell you this much, i can't compete with Bachman's prices, so i'd better be nice! or else i'll really go down the toilet! :what:

on the flipside, there are always people who are willing to give me a bargain price on something they're selling....i picked up a Kimber Officers Model (don't know which model off the top of my head), an HK P7M8, and a STI Falcon 3.9 for BARGAIN prices.

so it goes both ways i suppose!

wireless
March 21, 2005, 11:44 PM
Having been on both sides of the bargaining table, a little courtesy and decency can go a long way. There have been times when I thought I had "more gun" than what I actually had and some very friendly dealers diplomatically pointed it out to me. :o And I was thankful that they didn't let me continue to walk around a show looking like a Dufus asking too much for a gun.

Then there have been times when individuals and dealers have tried to "lowball" and I have respectfully declined their offers. I have actually gone back to some of those dealers and gotten some good deals. So I guess it can go both ways. Just my experiences.....

trickyasafox
March 22, 2005, 12:04 AM
i'd say you did pretty well. im teh poor sap on the other side of the table, and even if your right, and you deliver your message poorly, most of us will walk, even if we get that cash to come back to a table with. i'd go with making something up, like" i only deal in makes im factory liscensed to smith" some utter load of crap with enough lingo and a polite enough tone to make sense and move us schleps on our way :p

GaryP
March 22, 2005, 12:07 AM
I can't believe you turned him down considering what he had to offer! :neener:

:evil:

iiibdsiil
March 22, 2005, 12:09 AM
Low balling is the name of the game, gotta play it out. Can't get mad because someone tries to get a deal, ya know? Maybe he was dumb, maybe he was smart. He was probably dumb and thought you were way over priced on your sale anyways, and you could meet halfway or something with him.

S_O_Laban
March 22, 2005, 01:14 AM
Wireless wrote:
Having been on both sides of the bargaining table, a little courtesy and decency can go a long way

I'm in total agreement with this statement. Even if you don't make hay with that paticular customer....those standing by....listening to the exchange will leave the area with a better opinion of you.... which may come back to help your wallet in the near future.

Deavis
March 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
i can't compete with Bachman's prices

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can, that guy underprices everyone there. Does anyone know what the deal is with his wares? The guns look to be NIB or in close to NIB condition but they are anywhere from $75-$150 less than other people at the show. I thought it was fishy at first but everyone I have talked to has said that his stuff is legit. Does he have some sort of "inside" buyer program?

the MP5A2 was sitting in the same glass case as the MP5K-N and the two Glock 18's. i guess your attention was diverted! there was also an HK G36K and a Colt M4A3.

I was definitely diverted, I think right after I drooled over the Glock 18 with the shoulder stock I started talking to you. Maybe that's why I didn't see that Kimber thing you keep talking about! ;)

zippo8
March 22, 2005, 11:45 AM
I agree that an honest and courteous answer would be best. You never know when that same guy may become a paying customer. Tell the guy that he'd be better off selling them to an individual at the show, than you can do. I've done that before, went back and made my purchase from the dealer.

Spreadfire Arms
March 22, 2005, 11:46 AM
thanks for all the input guys. he seemed like a decent fellow. older gentleman, had a motorcycle vest on, clean cut (not a bearded biker or anything, not that a beard is bad! :neener: ). one of the saturday night specials was made in France or Belgium, but i couldn't locate it in a blue book and i never heard of it. that doesn't mean it wasn't worth half a million bucks either. i just didn't know, but judging by its appearance and construction, it wasn't a Baby Browning or anything close to that kind of quality.

its good to hear from other non-FFL's what is a nice way to decline a trade. most other FFL's will tell you "tell him his guns are junk" or something like that. :rolleyes:

boofus
March 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
I've heard Bachman buys Sigs and HKs in huge 2000 gun lots and moves em so he gets preferential pricing from distributors.

thrifty7
March 22, 2005, 12:32 PM
Reminds me of the time I asked a car salesman what he would give me for the heap I drove up in. He answered, smoothly and politely, "By the pound.....? A very old joke, of course, but my point is that he did it in such a way as to quickly jolt me into reality without devastating my fragile adolescent ego, therefore paving the way for me to return when I had a much better concept of what I could and could not afford. I never did buy a car from that guy, but I have always thought of him as a textbook example of a good salesman. I'll bet he could even sell guns.

Mikul
March 22, 2005, 12:33 PM
Honestly, what you've got is worth $500, but I can't give you that because they would take a long time for me to sell. I wish I could help. You might be able to do better elsewhere because the best I can offer you is $250 in trade toward the Kimber. You'll have to make up the rest in cash.

I've seen that done several times. The guy took the deal every time. I nearly passed out the first few times.

Halffast
March 22, 2005, 01:08 PM
most other FFL's will tell you "tell him his guns are junk" or something like that.

Which is exactly why many of them are going out of business!

I think you did good. I was once young, dumb, and broke. Now I'm old, dumb, and make a decent living, much of which I spend on guns. He may not have money now but he will remember how you treated him (good or bad) when he does. Hey, at least he was smart enough to want to trade out of a bunch of junk for one good firearm.

David

50 Freak
March 22, 2005, 01:24 PM
Actually reading this thread has got me thinking.

I hate LOWBALLERS. If I bring a firearm to a show to sell, I want to get a decent price for it. I'm not looking to make a killing, maybe a little profit from what I bought it at would be nice but I'm also willing to take a loss if it is acceptable depending on the condition of the gun and the customization involved.

But come on....some of the lowballers are just plain insulting. Example: I once brought my Remington PSS (rare one with a factory fluted 24 inch barrel and not the regular 20 or 26 they come in now). This PSS had a Harris bipod, $300 for the premium mount and rings (didn't bring the scope) and a $300 10 round detachable magazine setup, not to mention the crap load of money spent on trigger jobs, and extra customization.

Darn gun had been only fired less than 300 rounds in the last 10 years and was in almost NIB condition. Some guy asks to see the gun and after fondling it for a while offers me $250 for it. Jeez dude, I really don't mind negotiating but not with such a low starting price. This thing will consistantly shoot 5 shots in one ragged hole @ a 100 yards I told him. "Well, these things sell for $450 new all the time so $250 is the best I'll do". I told him politely no thank you" but in my head said to myself "if I wanted to get screwed, I'd go home to my wife first".

I actually took it a little personally as my guns are like my babies. I've spent many hours holding them in my arms and polishing them and cleaning them so they sparkle. But enough of my sex life.

Either way most people think that if you bring a gun to a show to sell, that it means automatically they can take 50 to 70 percent off the value of the gun. But then again, lots of dealers of used guns put 50 to 700 percent markup on the guns on their tables. When it comes down to it, an uninformed buyer/seller will always get screwed in the end. Kinda a shame.

iiibdsiil
March 22, 2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but maybe he didn't know it had all that stuff. To him, it was a $450 gun new, so what he offered you was on par for a used gun, okay, a little low, but you know what I mean.

spacemanspiff
March 22, 2005, 01:45 PM
I told him politely no thank you but if I wanted to get screwed, I'd go home to my wife first.

dont you mean that if your wif...., ya know what, never mind. i dont want to know.
:neener:

logical
March 22, 2005, 01:54 PM
The reason gun sellers have the reputation they do is exactly because of some of the responses here. there is no reason to get emotional or personally insulted by a trade offer. All you have to do is politey..but firmly so that there is no question that it is open for discussion....that you just plain don't deal at all in the type of stuff he has offered and that while you'd love to sell him a gun, he would do better selling them to someone who specializes in the type of guns he has. Don't make it worse by lowballing him back on his trades. He probably didn't think he was lowballing you..and if he did he will realize it didn't and won't ever work on you and he'll move on. If you have any interest in his stuff, tell him what it's worth to you and again mention it may be worth more to somebody else.

There is no reason to insult the guy or his guns...other than if it somehow makes you feel better about yourself. That of course is a whole other problem if that's the case. If you can't firmly refuse a trade offer without being a jerk about it, you should fold up your card table and get out of the retail business.

Wayne D
March 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
Even if you don't make hay with that paticular customer....those standing by....listening to the exchange will leave the area with a better opinion of you.... which may come back to help your wallet in the near future.

This is a very good point, I've walked away from tables because the seller was a jerk to someone else.

Deavis
March 22, 2005, 02:29 PM
50Freak, I think that your post brings up some good points that are usually not realized by afficianados. No matter how much you have spent on your Remington PSS (insert whatever gun you want), the customization is of absolutely no value to anyone but you or someone who shares your exact tastes. This is no different than someone customizing a car and getting mad that nobody will pay them $30,000 for their tricked out Supra that blue books for $12,000. The reason is simple, you are selling a commodity and not a rarity.

Example: I once brought my Remington PSS (rare one with a factory fluted 24 inch barrel and not the regular 20 or 26 they come in now). This PSS had a Harris bipod, $300 for the premium mount and rings (didn't bring the scope) and a $300 10 round detachable magazine setup, not to mention the crap load of money spent on trigger jobs, and extra customization. Darn gun had been only fired less than 300 rounds in the last 10 years and was in almost NIB condition.

Translation: Remington PSS, 99%, blah, blah, blah, and blah.

That guy's offer was exactly what it should have been for a gun that he can buy new for $450. Now, if you can find someone who appreciates the things you have done to it, then that gun might be worth more money to them but only to them

I actually took it a little personally as my guns are like my babies. I've spent many hours holding them in my arms and polishing them and cleaning them so they sparkle.

Your gun, car, house, or whatever is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. Since 99% of the people out there don't care what you did to that gun, it can't be worth more than the hundreds of other examples out there. The downside to a commodity market is that it drives prices down and the good thing about a commodity market is that it drives prices down. Your take on that fact depends entirely upon which side of the cash register you stand during a transaction

If you enjoyed reading about "How Do You Politely Tell Someone You Don't Want To Trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!