Learn something new...

PDA

whm1974
March 21, 2005, 09:23 PM
Ok I was reading www.theboxoftruth.com and learned a few things.

One a 12G shotgun slug will go through Ballistic Resistant Glass. So will a 45-70 Govenment round.

The glass will stop most high powered rifle rounds. But shards from the other side can and will break off, possabley causing injury.

From reading the other stuff. If you want penatrate barrers the best things to use short of .50 BMG is a shotgun slug or 45-70...

If the Anti's read this they would want to bane slugs and the 45-70...

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Learn something new..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joejojoba111
March 21, 2005, 10:06 PM
That sounds very interesting, but I am not having any luck with the link. Is this also published on AR15 forums?

whm1974
March 21, 2005, 10:14 PM
Sorry I've been having this problem lately.

http://www.theboxotruth.com

-Bill

But still it's a reason to have rifle in 45-70... Maybe an Encore?

-Bill

Standing Wolf
March 21, 2005, 10:34 PM
If the Anti's read this they would want to bane slugs and the 45-70...

They want to ban all firearms in all calibers and all ammunition. Knowing they can't simply rescind the Second Amendment, they're whittling away at it one gun and one caliber at a time.

teCh0010
March 21, 2005, 10:42 PM
I learn something new every day.

Today it's the fact that Bill Lear invented the 8-Track tape. I guess playing records in you LearJet just didn't work.

whm1974
March 21, 2005, 11:11 PM
They want to ban all firearms in all calibers and all ammunition. Knowing they can't simply rescind the Second Amendment, they're whittling away at it one gun and one caliber at a time.

But now we know that shotgun slugs and the 45-70 round WILL go through ballistic glass, don't be surprise that the VPC will start crying that 45-70 rifles are now bank robbers favorite weapons. Although they will probley start on shotguns first...

-Bill

whm1974
March 22, 2005, 09:30 PM
Ok I should keep in mind the saying about agruing with fools...

I mention the site and what they did with the Polycast to the guard captain at work. He tell's me the stuff isn't "bullet proof " because it's "plastic". But he then tells me that the glass in the guard shack is "bullet proof" because it's tempered glass. Granted it has wires running through it, but it is awful thin for somthing to stop a rifle bullet... Maybe 1/4" thick if that.

I know enough physics to know that a projectel going some almost 3000 FPS is going to be hard to stop, and the enegry on empat is going to go somewhere. Ditto for a much heavyer but slower projectel.

-Bill

Bear Gulch
March 22, 2005, 10:27 PM
Actually the old tactic that we were ataught was to shoot the glass 3 times forming a triangle, then start punching rounds through the center of the triangle.

whm1974
March 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
So how well does this work with BP glass? Would you also do this in shooting at glass in general?

This guard has also said in the past that blackpowder is more powerful then smokless. That a blackpowder gun will go though bullet proof glass when tthe same bullet powered by smokeless will not.

This is the same person who advise me to put extra powder in my cases when I reload to make sure the bullet doesn't get stuct in the barrel.

-Bill

Third_Rail
March 22, 2005, 11:16 PM
I think you answered your own question with the last statement. He's BSing and has no idea what he's saying.

gearbox
March 22, 2005, 11:24 PM
Never take that man seriously again.

Oh, and you can catch some documentaries on BP glass on The History Channel's "Modern Marvels" show. It may be some other show, but THC definitely has had at least two shows about BP glass.
Essentially, if it is glass (as opposed to plexi) it is several layers of glass with a thin sheet of plastic between each layer and is then heated to bond it all together. Obviously, the more layers the more protection. Don't take my word for it, the show is really informative.

whm1974
March 23, 2005, 07:15 PM
Never take that man seriously again.

I don't. I just talk to him to see what kind of BS he will come up with.

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Learn something new..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!