Is there a trick to removing the wedge..

PDA

ezypikns
March 21, 2005, 09:47 PM
from my cap and ball revolver? It's an 1851 Colt .44 by Pieta. It looks like a wedge within the wedge. I can't seem to break it loose. Help.

Got it. I searched previous posts and found a reference to a wedge removal tool. Went to Midway.com and located the tool and lo and behold, I had one. It was supplied with the weapon as part of a kit. Made of aluminum or some other non-marring material. It's about .06 thick, and just wide enough to fit throuugh the wedge hole. It;s also got a little horseshoe shaped cutout which spans the wedge spring. Worked like a charm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a trick to removing the wedge.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
black bear
March 22, 2005, 07:32 AM
If you don't have the tool, use a penny, whis is copper and non marring and just about the right thickness for the slot. Hammer on the penny and the wedge will come out.
black bear

mhdishere
March 22, 2005, 10:06 AM
Or you could do what I do. Pound on it, swear at it, finally give up and clean the gun with the barrel in place. Then take it to the range, load it, go to the firing line, hold the gun at a 45 degree angle downward preparatory to firing. The wedge will fall out, and the barrel and cylinder will fall into the dirt at your feet. :D

20cows
March 23, 2005, 03:01 PM
I worked on the wedge of my Pieta '62 police so it could be pulled with simple thumb pressure. This facilitates quick reloads by changing cylinders. The retaining spring keeps the wedge from hitting the ground. Be sure you work on the wedge which can be replaced when showing too much wear, as opposed to working on the wedge hole in the frame or barrel.

I have a friend who found a cylinder from a Colt's 2nd model dragoon on his ranch. I would think from the area's history, this is likely the result of such a quick reload from horseback in a dicey situation. A Comache grave was found on the same ranch, complete with some other interesting artifacts.

Crownvicman
March 23, 2005, 04:39 PM
I take apart a wooden clothespin (the kind made in two pieces and held together by a spring) and place that against the wedge and tap the pin with a tack hammer. Always works on my pietta .36.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a trick to removing the wedge.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!