I got one! I finally got one!!

PDA

Clean97GTI
March 21, 2005, 11:05 PM
I've been saving and saving and hoping and praying!

The other day, I had a lucky hand at poker and the stage was set.

On Sunday, I came home with a brand new Arsenal Inc SLR-105R and an FN FNP-9 for my GF.

We bought a few hundred rounds of 9mm to go shooting with (the new gun and my CZ) I wanted to shoot the new AK, but it was kinda greasy adn I want to clean it out first.

At any rate, the price on the SLR was $475 and with tax and NICS, I was out the door for $535. Not bad for one of the best AK variants on the market.

The price on the FNP-9 was $389 plus tax and NICS.
Specs for those two weapons go like this.

SLR-105R
Caliber: 5.45x39
16" barrel
No muzzle break although its easy to add.
comes with accesory rail, sling, tools and 1 30rd magazne.

FNP-9
Caliber: 9mm Luger
4" barrel
decocker only although an optional manual safety is available.
16 rd magazines x3
came with a cable lock and spent casing for ballistic fingerprinting :rolleyes:
trigger pull is 10lb for DA and 3.75 for SA. Pretty smooth too.

We had fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "I got one! I finally got one!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
another48hrs
March 21, 2005, 11:31 PM
Those are some great buys Clean97GTI. If you ever want to add an ak74 muzzle break and bayonet lug on that SLR-105R, take a look at k-var.

Congrats

vanfunk
March 22, 2005, 10:20 AM
Congratulations on your new acquisitions! I too have an Arsenal SLR-105(r) and it is a fine piece of machinery. My only gripe is with the quality of the factory finish, which, on my example, came right off with rubbing alcohol! Two coats of GunKote later, the piece is now ready for battle or the parade ground. How's the finish on yours?

vanfunk

Lennyjoe
March 22, 2005, 11:15 AM
Congrats.

Must have pictures. ;)

homeka45
March 22, 2005, 08:47 PM
Pictures and range report will be appreciated, thanks.

Clean97GTI
March 23, 2005, 12:16 AM
Well, the pictures are going to have to wait. My digi-cam is willing, but the USB cable has gone for a slurpee and hasn't yet returned (read: I lost it)

I can offer a range report on teh FNP-9 though.

A trip out to my favorite shooting spot in the desert was the perfect setting. Now, this gun was bought for my GF as a 22nd b-day present, so she did most of the shooting. I did get about 50 rounds off though, so I'll give my feelings and thoughts.

First off, anyone who has handled an FN Forty-Nine will love this gun. Anyone who bought a Sigma will hate this gun as it is better than the Sigma in most every way. Frist off, it has a standard rail instead of the goofy one S&W stuck on. Next, the trigger is quite good for a gun of this price range. Only my CZ was better. The trigger breaks at about 10 lbs in DA and a paltry 3.75 in SA.
Quick accurate shots are no problem with this gun. I was able to put them all (a full magazine) on a steel plate (9"x11")at ranges up to 25 yards. After that, I missed once or twice per mag. I was able to make hits while walking towards and away from the plate firing continuously. The longest range I fired it at was about 40 yards...no problem for this guy. The large 3-dot sights (night sights are optional, but this gun doesn't have em.) make target aquisition fast and easy. The balance is very good and being shorter than its older cousin, it could probably be concealed without issue. The weight is kept to a minimum with a polymer frame. Lest you think this is a dainty gun, the hard parts display typical FN heft, yet are finished very well. There are no rough edges or surfaces inside that I could see. FN claims this gun can handle pressures well above SAAMI spec although it recomends you stay within them. Recoil is not bad at all, although it does kick harder than the CZ-75B we were shooting at the same time. The poly frame/lighter weight probably has somethign to do with that. So, in short, 50 yard shots are easily within the guns grasp. Ranges closer than that only make things easier. Light recoil and big sights make this a newbie-friendly gun.
Stripping it down is very simple. Remove the magazine and clear the weapon. Next, draw the slide back and rotate the slide release downward 90° Let the slide forward and continue pulling it from the frame. The thing that surprised me was not having to pull the trigger to release the slide (like I have to on my Forty-Nine)
The barrel and recoil spring come out very easily for field stripping. THe hammer group comes out easily to for maintenance (by a qualified smith) The gun also includs FN's modular rails. The slide rails can be replace to extend the life of the weapon. May be useful for police depts. Police may also find the removable backstraps nice when fitting the guns to different shooters. My GF had no trouble with either backstrap. She preferred the more rounded one to the flatter piece...simply a personal preference.
My only gripes are the controls. The mag release as well as take down lever are fine. The slide release and ambi-decocker leave a bit to be desired. They are small and sharp. The decocker is STIFF although that may improve with usage. Other than that, I love it and wouldn't mind finding one in .40S&W for myself.

9 stars out of 10
Great price, great capacity, great ergos
crappy controls and stiff mag springs.

beerslurpy
March 23, 2005, 01:22 AM
Sweet! Is this your first AK? Let us know how the 5.45 shoots.

If you enjoyed reading about "I got one! I finally got one!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!