depriming and resizing force?

PDA

trickyasafox
March 22, 2005, 12:10 AM
well i just deprimed and resized my first 100 cases in 223 on my lee Ann pack press, and i was curious how much force it should take. . i was using frankford arsenal lube, and to be honest it felt like a very effort free task, and i was wondering if i had everything adjusted right, i felt like there should have been more resistance. . .but i really have no idea. anyone else have any thoughts on this? it felt like it took only a couple pounds of pressure to complete the operation, probably the weight of my arm alone was enough to do the task. does this sound right?

If you enjoyed reading about "depriming and resizing force?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
March 22, 2005, 12:16 AM
Yep - probably about right.

If lube is good then about the only resistance I feel - is very end of deprime/resize stroke - and then a slight ''unsticking'' as ram begins upward travel. If it feels easy then you must be doin good! :)

I think you might find .308 Win for example a little bit more work but - not much.

There is also sometimes a slight ''snag'' as neck expander comes back thru.

trickyasafox
March 22, 2005, 12:18 AM
good. i was pretty worried i didnt have the die set deep enough. when you guys are setting ur decapping and resizing die, how do you set it? i read in the lee load book you put the ram at its full stroke and set the die down to meet it, does that sound about right?

P95Carry
March 22, 2005, 12:24 AM
Yep - about right - just follow the Lee suggestions. This of course for full-length resizing. Neck resize does IMO need a slightly more careful set up - but again, Lee instructions seem to be about right on.

Jim Watson
March 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
Good lube is the key. The convenient spray lubes will call for more pull on the handle if the brass is well expanded. I have about given up on them for bottleneck high intensity cartridges.

trickyasafox
March 22, 2005, 12:40 AM
i have some collet dies i'd like to try, p95, would you mind goin a bit more in depth on setting them up?

taliv
March 22, 2005, 01:47 PM
i've noticed several factors affect how much muscle is required to resize cases.

1. some presses have more leverage than others due to cam design, length of handle, etc
2. if you shoot your 223 in a match chamber vs wylde vs military spec it will be different sizes, requiring a bit more or less force to resize
3. lube as mentioned above, but also, in the case of spray lubes like the dillon stuff, how long you let the lube sit on the brass. if you let the water that carries the lube evaporate for 5 min or so, per the instructions, it works better (less muscle) than if you just spray and resize immediately.

there were several others that i can't quite seem to remember

but i will add a little tip. I don't like my resizing to be effortless. I use a progressive press and load 1000s in a sitting, so one way I check the cases for splits is by feel. That is, I've found that regardless of lube, a 223 case with a split in it or even a .45 acp case with a split in it takes almost no effort at all to resize. I put an amount of lube on my cases where the sizing operation takes a little force, and when I feel none, I always stop and check the case in the sizing station for splits.

that takes some practice to get the lube level right. too much lube leaves some residue on the case rims, which then builds up in the powder die. too little lube causes vibration which can shake powder out of the cases and fall on the shell-plate holder.

none of that really matters in a single stage though.

rbernie
March 22, 2005, 02:25 PM
i have some collet dies i'd like to try, p95, would you mind goin a bit more in depth on setting them up? If I recall correctly, Lee advises that you raise the ram upward all the way, screw the die in until it just hits the shell holder, and then screw the die in one more complete turn.

My advice is to set up following the Lee instructions, and resize ONE case. (You do this without lube, by the way.) Take a bullet and try to seat it by hand in the case mouth. If it slides in any appreciable distance at all, crank in a scosch more on the collet die until you can no longer get the bullet to seat by hand. You can't really undersize the neck (squeeze it too tightly), but if you have the die screwed in too much you'll start to notice that it's pretty hard to complete the ram stroke, and that you'll start to get ridges on the outside of the necks as you extrude the neck brass between the fingers of the collet.

Jim Watson
March 22, 2005, 03:14 PM
Only go by the Lee instructions for the collet neck size die if you have a Lee press. I went by the literature in a Rockchucker and its greater leverage blew the top plug right out of the die body. Lee replaced it but chided me for overloading their die in an overpowered press.
You can pretty much feel when the collet is closed anyhow.

If you enjoyed reading about "depriming and resizing force?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!