Casting Pot

PDA

bfox
March 22, 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi

I asked this over a TFL thought I would ask for opinions here also .
Have a Lee 20 Lb pot works OK but tired of the drips .
What do you casters prefer ? The only ones I know of are
RCBS and Lyman .
First Pot I ever used was an old Lyman . Never dripped only
drawback it only held 10 lbs.

Thanks , Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Casting Pot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LHB1
March 22, 2005, 12:42 AM
Hi Bill,
I used a Saeco pot for many years and finally retired it. Tried Lyman pot but had problems with spout freeze up. Returned pot to Lyman for fix but problem continued. Believe problem is the way they don't wrap the heating element low enough in spout to prevent freeze up. Am now using a pair of RCBS pots with good success, i.e. no drips so far after 2-3 years.

There are two common causes of drip. One is poor manufacture/fit of spout and shut off rod. Can't do much about that except avoid low quality brands. The other common cause is getting grit into the spout and thus not letting shut off rod fit smoothly and fully seal spout. I use one pot for melting rough, dirty wheel weights, alloys, etc. and cast "clean" 1 lb pigs for later re-use. I reserve the other pot for use only with the "clean" pigs of alloy. In both pots, I NEVER allow the pot to drop below about 1/4 inch of alloy in effort to prevent crud (which mostly floats on top) from getting down into spout. This approach has worked for me. YMMV.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

robertbank
March 22, 2005, 10:16 AM
Yes I have the Lee pot and hope Santa brings a Lyman/RCBS 20 lb pot for next Christmas. Until then I have removed and cleaned the spout and have reduced/elminated the drip problem for awhile. Thre is a reason Lee pots are cheaper but in the long run I woish I had spent the bucks for a better pot. I will probably keep the Lee as a standby after Santa's visit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Casting Pot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!