Durned Colt

PDA

ulflyer
March 22, 2005, 05:11 PM
Got my new NRM today, splashed a little oil on it, took it out to the back yard and put 70 rounds of my flat nose reloads through it. Not a danged one malfunctioned! I mean, not one little hiccup! Didn't try any groups, just wanted to see that it worked ok. Good like my 1991, better than the Nork which needs a little tweaking. Believe I'll keep it.

Hey 1911Tuner, whens a good time for you next week to check out the Nork?

If you enjoyed reading about "Durned Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BluesBear
March 23, 2005, 04:39 AM
Yeah who'd a ever thunk that Colt could make a good pistol.

I'm amazed that I've kept on buying them all these years.
I keep figuring I'll buy a bad one but so far no such luck.

And other people keep asking me to fix the ones they have. Only I find that usually they weren't broke.

Go figure.

ulflyer
March 23, 2005, 09:09 AM
Blues Bear, I had been out of shooting for some years, but then got all fired up again after I put a few rounds thru my one and only Rem-Rand. That old thing shoots bout as good as any of them, but I didn't want to take any chances on something dire happening. So, I told myself, get a modern 1911, and started reading the forums but couldn't make up my mind; liked the Norks as I had one many years ago when they were avail for $200 or less; the Springers and RIA's are just a tad too utilitarian to suit me, and then I came across the 1991 on GunsAmerica and bought it. Turned out not to be a good buy as someone had reamed the barrel throat with a rotary rasp, ruining it, and 1911Tuner put in a Springfield barrel that he had. It had performed flawlessly with the orig barrel, but it wasn't supporting the case like it should and was potentially dangerous. After 1911Tuner did his magic it continued to perform flawlessly. But the 1991 is also fairly "utilitarian"..being all Matte blue, so I recently got the NRM which has nicely blued slide, not hightly polished but attractive to me, with the rest being Matte. Came with good looking diamond wood grips. Mighta paid a bit too much at $625, but if you compare that to a non-parked Springer it ain't too far off, pricewise.

While waiting for the NRM to come thru the mail, I came across a Nork at the Hickory gun show last saturday and couldn't pass it up. Nearly new, and shoots prretty darn good...had a few failures to go into battery that 1911Tuner will look into later. I want to try some diff ammo other than my reload flat points to see how that works, and put some more rounds thru the NRM to give it a chance to mess up if it wants too, and take them all up to be checked out. Have to be careful tho, he might sneak a collie in my car while I'm not looking cause he knows I'm an animal lover with 2 dogs and six cats.

Boy, i sure did run on. :o

Onmilo
March 23, 2005, 09:55 AM
Yeah, ,,,those pistols coming out of the Custom Shop are just about the worst of the worst too,,,,,

Sergeant Sabre
March 23, 2005, 12:40 PM
I recently bought a NRM '91 brand new. I tell ya, it rattles when I shake it, the left side of the slide overhangs the back of the frame slightly while the right side is flush, and the hammer sits slightly off to the left side of the slide when down.

However, the pistol is accurate and reliable, so what's the fuss??? So the slide-to-frame fit isn't water-tight. Big deal. Somebody in Hartford still knows how to nail a pistol together. :D

I'm happy with my purchase...

dsk
March 23, 2005, 10:49 PM
ulflyer,

Your pistol is quite obviously defective. Send it off to a pistolsmith for modification and I promise you'll get it back jamming.

ulflyer
March 24, 2005, 08:02 AM
DSK, excellent idea. If this keeps up its gonna ruin Colt's reputation. I'll put a call in to Hartford and tell em to come get it. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Durned Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!