THR please help re. Zeiss Scope

PDA

Navy joe
March 11, 2003, 11:36 PM
Ok, I bought a scope, now(great sequence) I want to know what it's worth. :D

Carl Zeiss Jena ZF 4x32-M- It's got the clear lens covers, coated optics, Box, instructions in Deutsche only. Looks like it was mounted once on the rail, optics and rest of finish is pristine. It's a beautiful scope, if nothing else I will figure out a mount for some rifle I don't own yet and keep it. The integral rail mount is tres cool, just no guns made for it.

Obviously it is post WWII and pre 91 coming out of the DDR. With a S/N 278230 how old is it?

For any Zeiss(no, not scheisse) experts out there, where can I find this on the web since I can't find it myself, searched E-bay to no avail and others. Also, what the heck is the difference between a #4 and a #42 reticle? From what I could find they look the same, a Euro 3 post Duplex deal, kinda like it, has crude ranging potential too.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR please help re. Zeiss Scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
March 12, 2003, 09:18 PM
The rail mounts were mostly popular on some Mauser rifles. The windage adjustment is usually integrated into the mount. I assume your's only has one turret, for elevation?

Those old scopes have beautiful glass. Brighter than reality. It's hard to establish a value... generally the scopes with just the rail are quite affordable, even if in pristine condition. If they include the mount, they are likely to triple or quadruple in value. Sometimes, one the larger models (8x56 and 10x56) it is possible to mount them traditionally with high rings. Assuming the scope itself has a windage turret.

When I see an older scope (esp Swarovski) that have the standard mount, I snatch up.

Navy joe
March 12, 2003, 11:08 PM
no, mine is newer than the war type ZF4s, seen a few of those for sale. It has a windage turret, both are finger adjustable. The Multicoat is beyond nice, makes Nikons look amateur. Weird part is the main dovetail is about the length of the tube body and then there is another short dovetail spud on the front lens bell. Worst case I'll make a mount, I just have no rifle to put it on that needs such. For the scope I'd like to find something suitable to be a nice 500yd gun and then figure out a rear cammed mount. Having access to a machine shop is a great peril to a gun nut.

joehomie
January 1, 2005, 06:52 PM
I have the same scope with the dovetail that is part of the scope sn 278389 and I have the claw mount that fits the dovetail. The guy that sold it to me said it was of a HK sporting rifle. I was going to mod. it to fit my 91 but maybe it worth more to someone that has the gun it will fit. Nice scope but same boat no gun to fit,I can e-mail pics of the mount if you want. I wish I could use it it look like a nice scope.I looked all over to see if there is mounts for this dovetail on the scope.The lever on the claw mount when down releases the mount and when up holds the claws open to lock the mount on the gun. Seems to be a QD mount

bq2210
January 10, 2005, 11:29 AM
Hello Navy Joe

please let me introduce first: I am a german hunter who was looking online for Info on the Zeiss 4x32. I own two of them on my stalking rifles and I am more than content with them. They are slightly older than yours (probably from the 50's) and though they have been heavily used still in brillant order.
Now: for the dovetail rail: this ist quite commonplace with Zeiss scopes still nowadays. A claw mount is attachted to the rail(s) and the actual mount is attached to the claw. The reason is that you do nat have to put rings around the scope's tube and so avoid damage. If you need more info on that, let me know.
As for the reticles 4 and 42. Both are dawn/dusk reticles, the bolder at the 9, 3 and 6 position make it easier to aim for an animal in bad lighting conditions, as for example wild boar which are normally shot at bad light in the night.
Both have a ranging device. If this bores you, simply skip it, as it is very german: a roebucks body normally is about 70 cm wide. Now: if this body fits exactly between the bolder parts of the reticle at 9 and 3 position, the buck is at a distance of about 100 m. Same goes for a stag, only then the distance is 150 m.

Reticle 42 has a small bar below the crosshairs. This is thought to be the point blank at 200 m, depending on how you have zeored your rifle.

Hope this answers your questions.

Bertram

PS: as for the mount parts: these are easily obtained by any german or austrian riflemaker

joehomie
January 11, 2005, 05:03 PM
I sent you a e-mail with the link but if you didn't get it i have my scope and mount for sale on e-bay Item number: 7127014081 I would like to use the scope but can't find the right mount to put it on my 91

If you enjoyed reading about "THR please help re. Zeiss Scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!