Dumb Gunstore Questions You've Heard?

PDA

Husker1911
March 24, 2005, 12:53 AM
I've been at this a while, making my living full-time managing a gunstore since 1991. Several times I've had people looking at scopes or binocs ask "How far can I see with this?" They mean "see clearly", but I usually mention how the moon is 250,000 miles away, and they can see that.

The best I've ever had asked of me, however, follows this short story. I had an elderly gentleman come in looking for a defense firearm. In talking to him, I determined he knew very little about guns. I eliminated semi pistols from his choices, (too complicated). I showed him several double action revolvers, but he seemed confused by their operation. I handed him a 20" twelve gauge double, and he asked me "How many does this one hold?" I did NOT sell this man a gun!

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumb Gunstore Questions You've Heard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SpookyPistolero
March 24, 2005, 01:43 AM
Whenever I am in the shop and hear questions or am asked questions (I'm not an emloyee) I do my best not to make them feel silly. Everyone is a newbie at some point, and some have no one to ask certain things to.

That said, a few visits ago a guy was there who didn't speak english all that well. He did recognize a few of the rifles though. I think he was there with his american friend, too. When he went to the pistol counter, he looked at some Sigs, and then at some 1911's. After handling them, he asked the fellow behind the counter if 'you could swap out the trigger on this one and put it on that one'. He wanted to take a 1911 trigger and put it on a sig.

I understand being new to things, but extremely basic concepts of mechanics should be well within the ballpark.

musher
March 24, 2005, 02:28 AM
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. :)
I'd say that goes double with stuff that might hurt you (or others).

airbornekyle1
March 24, 2005, 02:38 AM
Im with musher. IM kind of a newbi to the firearms world. i know a whole lot about some basic firearms(military rifles, some hunting rifles) but very little about most shotguns/handguns. And when asking for help a lot for times people are very arrogant and stuck up about their knowledge of basic firearm information. which in most cases (if i didnt love guns/hunting so much i would have been turned off to the whole thing.

pete f
March 24, 2005, 03:53 AM
Was dropping off some stocks i had worked on when i heard a supposed expert brought in to help his buddy buy his new deer rifle say. "Buy the 7 mag, if it kicks too much you can always shoot 7 mauser out of it, hardly kicks at all if you do that"

He was serious, too.

Wildalaska
March 24, 2005, 03:54 AM
All righty!!!!! The answers below the question are generally what i think to myself, although I have been known to give a pithy response as I show em out the door...and all of these are true!

1. What caliber is that 45-70?

Its a 22 you jerk off

2. If they are night sights, can you use them in the day?

No, butt munch, they are like vampires, they jump off the gun and hide in the day

3. Can you shoot a bear with this (holding up generally a 30-30 or a 25-06)?

Sure sh*t for brains, and then the bear is liable to get pissed off at you and help out the gene pool by eating your ass

4. Isnt this the gun that (add name here, Hinkley, Oswald, Ruby, Whitman, Son of Sam, John Wilkes Booth) used?

Yep, the FBI gave it to us as a present afterward

5. Wow, this looks like one my daddy had, did ya get it from him?

Yeah, when he was passed out drunk years ago we broke into his house and took it, hey, your mama was awake, hope you and I never do a DNA test, son....

6. Can you carry this concealed (holding a S&w 500 with an 8 inch barrel)?

With your fat gut, bet ya can

7. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

Hi, do you guys sell Guns?

No we just call ourselves Wild west guns to hide the fact that we are an enema parlor.

8. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

Hey hows the weather up there in Alaska?

:cuss: (My pete peeeve!) arggggggggggggggggg

9. Hi, can you make a take down M1A in 375 H&H? (I swear...Im not kidding)

No

Why Not? ( o boy got a real rocket scientist here)

Well, becasue the M1A, to start off with, wont handle a 375 H&H....

Well cant you build something like it in 375 H&H?

Not at a reasonable cost....

Well how much?

Umm (OK gonna smoke this one out)..OK, about $10,000...

Wow...thats a lot of money, do you have lay away?

*click*

10. Whats the best you can do on this one?

How about I add $100 to the price

11. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

Well hey, hows it hanging in the old igloo, yu-uk, uk uk. Well hey, I was reading about you in a magazine and wonder if you can shoot 50 Alaskans in a 30-30?

Yep, I wanna be there to watch too.

12. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

Hi waht street are you on?

71st and the Frontage road

71st...is that between 70th and 72nd?

No actually its between 5th and 6tth you ninny

13. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

Hi I have a Hi Point 9mm, can you put a flash suppressor on it?

Sure, how about ONE WITHOUT A HOLE IN IT YOU IDIOT!

14. to either Muffy the Shop Girl or Cheryl the Ship Girl...Hi I have a question about guns, can I speak to a guy? :)

15. Well this here 30-06 is an awfully big gun here, dont know if my wife (whose usually there rolling her eyes) can handle the pain?

Me to wife: You have any kids?
Wife: I have 6
Me to Husband: You think your wife cant handle recoil? Tell me there dude, ya ever pooped out an eight pound watermelon? Think you could handle that?
Wife to me: Got a 338?

WildshalligoonAlaska

gvass
March 24, 2005, 04:19 AM
5 minutes ago someone just walked in and asked:
"0.5 millimeter ammunition"
:-)))
"maybe for your refillable pencil, sir"

spacemanspiff
March 24, 2005, 04:23 AM
No we just call ourselves Wild west guns to hide the fact that we are an enema parlor.
that would explain the stirrups in the restroom. at least, i hope it does.

wasrjoe
March 24, 2005, 04:28 AM
10. Whats the best you can do on this one?

How about I add $100 to the price

Hey now, I've learned the hard way that most gunshops have a sucker price. Until those guys go away, I'm going to try and haggle. Nothing wrong with a guy trying to cut through the BS and get a real price.

Zach S
March 24, 2005, 09:08 AM
Whenever I am in the shop and hear questions or am asked questions (I'm not an emloyee) I do my best not to make them feel silly. Everyone is a newbie at some point, and some have no one to ask certain things to.
You hang out at the store so often you get mistaken for an employee? I'm glad I'm not the only one...

One that I find funny, for two reasons, is they see me behind the counter and ask "do you work here?" Thats like walking up to a LEO in uniform and asking "you a cop?"

I also find it funny because I dont actually work there, its just that I wind up working when it gets busy since I hang out there so often. It works out nicely, he gets free help, I have an excuse not to go home.

8. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

:cuss: (My pete peeeve!) arggggggggggggggggg

You have no idea how tempting this is...

HighVelocity
March 24, 2005, 09:29 AM
I heard a guy ask a seller at a gunshow about the Glock he was selling....

"Can I carry this cocked and locked"? :rolleyes:

teCh0010
March 24, 2005, 11:09 AM
9. Hi, can you make a take down M1A in 375 H&H? (I swear...Im not kidding)

That post just really made me want a garand in 9.3x62 with a fiberglass stock and a 22" barrel.

Rexrider
March 24, 2005, 11:11 AM
I have witnessed stupidity and ignorance on both sides of the counter.

There is not much you can do about stupidity, but there is a cure for ignorance. It's called knowledge.

All of us had to start from scratch as far as whatever level of knowledge we have obtained concerning firearms and ballistics. At some point, everyone has asked a stupid question out of ignorance. Asking questions is the starting point to gain knowledge.

Shouldn't we be trying to answer some of these questions before showing someone the door or hanging up on them?

Look, I don't have to make a living working in or running a gun shop. I will probably never know how frustrating it may be working with customers in that kind of environment. But doesn't good customer service dictate that you at least make an attempt to provide some insight as to why their questions are considered stupid?

Granted some people are so stupid they don't even know it and it may be impossible to work with someone like that. It should only take a minute or two to determine if a customer needs/wants a little knowledge or is a hopeless case.

I would be the first in line to defend your right to show someone the door if they have displayed even a hint of being unsafe and/or irresponsible. But somewhere amongst all this rampant stupidly may be a person who just needs a little knowledge to get started on the right track.

From '98 to 2000 I worked on an internal computer helpdesk for the company I am still with. Believe me, it seemed as if there was rampant stupidity as far as computers were concerned. What I did find out was these people were not stupid, they were ignorant as to how a computer worked. All it took was a few minutes at the end of the call to explain why they had a problem. Why they can't use the CD tray as a cup holder. That the box on their desk was the whole computer and just a hard drive or modem. That the monitor could be turned off independently from the PC. That some of the files they deleted were actually needed by the operating system and where not just taking up space.

Other people, of course, could not be convinced that the computer was not the tool of the devil and it was not on a personal mission to destroy their career. I wish I could have hung up on those people but I had to bite my tongue and say, "have a nice day".

Someone who never held a gun and the only knowledge they have about guns is from Hollywood would have no way of knowing why you can't convert an M1A to fire a 375 H&H.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. I could be wrong (or just stupid).

Car Knocker
March 24, 2005, 11:35 AM
Rexrider,

Well said!!

Spreadfire Arms
March 24, 2005, 11:45 AM
i think this thread was meant to be humorous, not disparaging :D

all of us started out not knowing anything about firearms and the only reason we do know about them is because we read up on it and ask silly questions.

i had a U.S. Marine call me last night and ask me how to convert his personally owned AR15 to an M16 because he said he saw all the parts available in the Bushmaster catalog. I had to explain to him legalities more than weapons knowledge. but he isn't the only one who calls me with questions like this.

i had a sheriff's deputy ask me if he could put a short barrel on his AR15 without registering it with NFA since he would only use it "on duty." i explained to him that even his agency's NFA weapons were in the NFA registry, so his personally owned, non-registered SBR would be a federal felony if he put the upper on the lower.

i have had several private citizens inquire about getting a "Class III License." I have also had many people thinking that the AW Ban Sunset meant all post-86 machine guns were now legal for civilian sale.

i have had citizens ask how they can legally own a Glock 18, an FN P90, and an HK G36.

i had a private citizen offer me $3000 cash to meet him in the parking lot of a gun show to sell him a post-86 machine gun cash & carry.

i had a gangbanger ask me how to convert his Glock to full auto.

i had a nutjob, who happens to be a gunshow vendor (and a former FFL too....thinks he is some sort of sergeant or higher in a law enforcement agency of some sort, will pull out his wallet as if to show a badge or credentials but never opens it up) complain about the price of body armor then ask to buy it from me if i would discount it to his liking.

but back to the original post.....

then my business partner always has the phrase when people ask:

"Are you willing to negotiate?"
"Sure, I'm always willing to go up. It's priced at $875, but i'll do it for $900 for you." :D
"But...but....you just raised the price?!" :confused:
"That's right, I'm a better negotiator than you." :D

Or...
"What's your best price?"
"What's your best offer?"
"No, I want to know your best price." :mad:
"You see a price tag on there, that is what I am asking for the item. You tell me what you're willing to pay."
"I'll offer you [insert 50% of retail price here]."
"Thank you for your kind and generous offer."
"So do we have a deal?"
"No, sir. I am not in business to lose money."
"But you'll have cash right now."
"Yes, but I am losing money on this deal."

Or....
"I can't believe you're asking so much for an AR-15. Didn't you know the ban ended?" :cuss:
"Yes sir, but there is a certain cost to manufacture these items, the price to manufacture the parts to assemble this rifle did not decrease with the ban."
"I'll take one if you can do $500 out the door."
"Sir, the raw cost of the parts exceeds $500, not including the labor to assemble it and the shipping charges."
"BUT THE BAN IS OVER!" :fire:
"Yes sir, it is, and thus parts that could not be put on the gun [i.e. flash suppressor] now can be put on. That means additional labor to thread a barrel and additional cost of parts to put on a flash suppressor. So, don't you think the cost would increase with additional parts and labor?"
"Well I'm going to hold out until I can buy one brand new for $500."
"Okay, sir."

and the best ones:

"Do you charge sales tax?"
"We collect sales tax, we do not charge it. The state charges it, we collect it."
"Does this price include sales tax?"
"No."
"Do I have to fill out a yellow sheet?"
"Yes."
"So you're a dealer?"
"Yes. I am an FFL." never mind the displayed FFL, SOT, Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice, and about 50+ firearms including machine guns, silencers, etc.
"So you can't sell me a gun without paperwork?"
"It is a federal felony for me to do that."
"Well I don't pay sales tax and I don't do paperwork on guns."
"Thank you." :confused:

patent
March 24, 2005, 11:49 AM
>>>Wife to me: Got a 338?

lol

Old Dog
March 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone -- while pointing at a stainless steel handgun -- ask, "Can I see that nickel-plated (revolver/automatic) there?"

Too many people had that Tommy Lee Jones line from U.S. Marshals stuck in their heads ("Get rid of that nickle-plated sissy gun") when he made the remark to Robert Downey Jr.'s character regarding his stainless Taurus (908 or 911?) pistol ...

Heard an old guy in a local gun store, when pointing at a SS Springfield Mil-Spec (in .45 ACP, of course), ask to see the "nickel-plated automatic" version of the "9 millimeter I used in the Marines."

chickenfried
March 24, 2005, 12:16 PM
expect my call shortly. thank god for verizon, free long distance.

'8. Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?

(My pete peeeve!) arggggggggggggggggg

Onmilo
March 24, 2005, 12:32 PM
"Yo man, I be wantin' a lazer for my Jennings deuce deuce, whatcha' got?

Sergeant Sabre
March 24, 2005, 12:37 PM
Working at a gun store, I can identify with being asked "How far can I see with this?" when a customer is looking at some glass. I still havn't come up with a good answer for that one, but I think the one about the moon being 250,000 miles away will be the next thing I try.

Here are some questions I have been asked:

(Note: I know that some people just have an elementary knowledge base. I was there, too. I understand this and I'm always very courteous and willing to help people who just don't know)

"What's the waiting period on this gun?" :cuss:

"I need ammo for my son's .22. I see all you have out here is .22 Long Rifle . Where is the regular .22 ammo?"

Me: "So, what are you going to use this .17HMR for?"
Customer: "Woodchucks, skunks, whatever. Varmints, mostly"
Me: "I see. How far are most of your shots?"
Customer: "Well, there is a swamp about a quarter mile behind my house, I'm going to sit on my back porch and shoot them when I see them"
Me: "A quarter...uh...how far?" :scrutiny:

Me: "A .300 Ultra Magnum? Ya, I got one. Here it is. What are you going to do with it?"
Customer: "I want to take shots out to about 600 yards on deer"
Me: :uhoh:

"Does X-caliber have more knockdown power than Y-caliber?" :cuss:

"How much magnification do I need to shoot X-hundred yards?"

kfranz
March 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Not gunstore related, but that statement just isn't true...On the first day of school last year, I was going over the school handbook with my students. After reading the section re: hats in the building, one fellow raised his hand and asked "What if I wear my invisible hat?"

Dumbest "gunstore" question usually comes from the Walmart clerk re: .22 ammo and if it's for a handgun.

Husker1911
March 24, 2005, 01:08 PM
Yes, the intention of this thread was at humor, not meant to disparage unknowledgeable customers. I answer all questions respectfully. Still, you must admit that, on occasion, one can't help chuckle at things.

Another famous one in my past: A young man, early twenties, asked a co-worker "Do you have any Batlaths?" Several of us pooled our knowledge and decided a Batlath was a two handed sword or knife used by Klingons in the Star Trek TV series. The co-worker passed the customer off to me, I responded with, "Yeah, we had one around here but someone left the cloaking device on. Now we can't find it!"

thrifty7
March 24, 2005, 01:20 PM
I am hearing a lot of people feeling smugly superior to others who don't seem to have the same set of facts memorized that they do. There are a lot of highly qualified shooters who just don't much care about ballistic trivia. I have known several old time hunters who barely know which cartriges to buy for their gun, but they will bring home more meat in a day than I will in a season. Ditto for the guy who gave me my first gun.....he didn't remember that a .357 mag revolver could shoot 38 specials, and he shot several deer with an old Marlin336 that had no elevation slide in the rear sight ( when you shoot them at 25 feet it doesn't matter). His occupation? State Trooper, Deputy Sherrif, State Legislator and house chairman of the Fish and Game Commission. Many of the most decorated and distinguished police officers and war heroes have used nothing but gov't issue ammo and quite literally would not know what to ask for at Wallmart if they needed to buy their own.
Personally I am a very technical person and have been studying Ballistics, Gunsmithing, and Handloading with a passion for roughly 50 years. I have more money invested in my gun-related library than most guys have in their gun collection. The most important lessons I have learned are as follows:
1. I will never know everything
2.Knowlege for its own sake is totally pointless. All that matters is what I can accomplish with my knowlege.

P.S. I am a slow typist and several posts have come in since I started my diatribe. I now realize that at least some posters were joking. Obviously my rant only applies to those who were not joking. You know who you are.
Thanks.

mfree
March 24, 2005, 01:27 PM
"Well I don't pay sales tax and I don't do paperwork on guns."

Teehee.

"What was your name and address again sir?"

trickyasafox
March 24, 2005, 01:39 PM
not gunstore related but paintball related.

"We never wear goggles when we play with our friends do i really have to wear em here?"

why cant you fill my co2 tank up with compressed gas?

why cant you fill my compressed tank up to 5000 psi?

can i use these paintballs (pulls out frozen ones....)

i know it says FPO (field paint only) but can we use ours anyway?

do i really have to chrono under 300fps?

some of the best ones are when i've been bouncing though:

will you kick me out if i punch that guy in the face?

*immediatly after putting GUM IN A BARTENDERS HAIR* why do i have to go?

can i put pot in your hookah? (we have hookahs for our special tobacco like stuff NOT POT)

come on man can you let this girl in just this once im trying to get laid (girl was 16) i then informed him he would probably like jail.

if i can kick your ass can i stay?

why do i have to keep my shirt on? (from a guy. . . . .)

the best are the statements they make as well:

you dont have to close now

go get me another drink (are you f'in serious?)

get me some free drinks (from people you dont even know. . . )

im not leaving

no ill make the cops verify im legal and you HAVE TO LET ME IN (thank god even if you are legal private establishments reserve the right to deny service to anyone)

fu** your dress code im coming in anyway (good luck buddy)

Smokey Joe
March 24, 2005, 01:41 PM
Where I work there are penty of questions. I don't mind at all the ones that are asked in a quest for knowledge. Most customers leave pleased, and some actually buy something. I really object to 3 attitudes:

1. I don't really know what I want, tell me everything there is to know about everything you carry, and then I'll make up my mind whether I want to buy anything, and whether I can get a better price somewhere else.

2. I want the best there is, but I don't know what it is, so show it to me, and whatever you ask for it is too much.

3. I know more about this than you do, and I'm asking you all these complicated technical questions to either start an argument or belittle you and inflate my own ego.

OrdnanceOutseller
March 24, 2005, 01:53 PM
First of all, ditto Spreadfire's post to the T....Sounds like, I dunno, EVERY gun show we have had a table at!!!

My favorite anecdote:

*ring-Ring*

Ordnance, this is James, how may I help you?

Hey man! You guys got that gun from Scarface?

*Long Pause*...Sir, I can sell you an AR-15 similar to it.

Look jus like it?

Yes sir, very similar.

Oh Man! How much does it cost!

Anywhere between $600 and $1500, depending on what you want.

Awright! With the grenade launcher and Sh*t?!! When can I get it?

*Click*

Also a favorite:

Excuse me, I'm here to return this 226DAK in .40 you sold me? (FWIW - it was loaded...)

After reprimanding him for bringing a loaded gunHas it been fired?

No. (It had not)

Sure, then. And for what reason will you be returning it?

Well, I was talking to my homeboy, and he said that a Beretta is better than a SIG, and that a gun with a hammer is better than a double action only.

I ???? you not. Who was this homeboy? Exactly that. No military or LE experience, no retail experience...nothing. I did not want to discuss the merits of trigger mechanics with someone who was bent on what his 'homeboy' told him, although he incorrectly referred to a DAK as a DAO.

C'est la vie. Customer service has it's ins and outs.

Rexrider
March 24, 2005, 02:26 PM
Yes, the intention of this thread was at humor, not meant to disparage unknowledgeable customers. I answer all questions respectfully. Still, you must admit that, on occasion, one can't help chuckle at things.

Fair enough. I will admit to sharing some of my customer calls with co-workers and friends over a few drinks at the bar after work.

I just felt that a lot of the "stupid" questions provided were good examples of questions asked out of ignorance.

Like this one WA provided:
1. What caliber is that 45-70?
How many times to people refer to their rifle or handgun by the caliber rather than the actual name? Someone who does not no any better may very well assume based on hearing other people talk actually believe the rifle is called a "45-70" and not realize 45-70 is the name of the ammo it shoots.

And this one:
"I need ammo for my son's .22. I see all you have out here is .22 Long Rifle . Where is the regular .22 ammo?"
Anyone who never bought .22 ammo before probably never heard of .22 long rifle or .22 short. Because everyone calls .22 long rife..... ".22's"

There really is not a lot of places for people to learn about firearms and ballistics. Sure you can pick up some magazines or books but most novice shooters would not even know where to start. Just walking into a gun shop for the first time can be very overwhelming. Most people hear stuff from other people who don't know any better and can't tell the difference between bad info and good info. Maybe there is a Shooting For Dummies book out there but I have not seen one.

You would think that asking someone behind a counter at a gun shop would be a good place to start. You guys are the front line to the world of shooting. You may very well be the first person someone approaches about information on guns and ammo. That person probably does not even have enough correct information to know how to ask a legitimate question.

I will step down from my soapbox now. Sorry for not taking this thread in the spirit it was intended to. It’s just that seeing how experienced shooters treat new/novice shooters at times has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Although I will have to admit this one from WA is funny
15. Well this here 30-06 is an awfully big gun here, dont know if my wife (whose usually there rolling her eyes) can handle the pain?
Me to wife: You have any kids?
Wife: I have 6
Me to Husband: You think your wife cant handle recoil? Tell me there dude, ya ever pooped out an eight pound watermelon? Think you could handle that?
Wife to me: Got a 338?

Rexrider
March 24, 2005, 02:36 PM
3. I know more about this than you do, and I'm asking you all these complicated technical questions to either start an argument or belittle you and inflate my own ego.

Even in a world of perfect customer service there is always an exception. Back at the computer help desk we were allowed to drop this type of customer.

You can't help/please everyone. Just keep an eye out for those that really do want to learn.

Brad Johnson
March 24, 2005, 02:56 PM
I don't mind questions asked honestly. In fact, I welcome them as they give me the opportunity to dispel many of the myths and urban legends associated with guns. What really cheeses me is when you just spent five minutes explaining away a myth to someone and they come back with, "...but my Uncle Joe said something else?!". Nothing personal, buddy, but your Uncle Joe is an idiot. My other peeve is spending time getting someone on the right track only to have some spit drippin' camo laden beer-bellied mall ninja (SDCLBBMN) come over and directly contradict me with some outlandish version of a popular myth. Usually something like "Ma'am, with your inexperience and your desire for a simple bedside gun for protection, I would recommend a small frame double action revolver chambered in .357, but loaded with .38 special. It is simple to operate and care for, easy to shoot, and gives you the ability to upgrade to more potent ammunition when you feel comfortable." Over comes the SDCLBBMN waddling at flank speed and spouting something like "She don't need that little pop gun. Here, sister, you need something like this here HK in a real caliber like .357 Sig." :banghead:

Brad

Phantom Warrior
March 24, 2005, 03:05 PM
Another famous one in my past: A young man, early twenties, asked a co-worker "Do you have any Batlaths?" Several of us pooled our knowledge and decided a Batlath was a two handed sword or knife used by Klingons in the Star Trek TV series. The co-worker passed the customer off to me, I responded with, "Yeah, we had one around here but someone left the cloaking device on. Now we can't find it!"

<best Larry White voice>
hey hey hey hey...
</best Larry White voice>

I've been looking for one of those for YEARS. Still am. No reason to belittle the man for looking for a fine piece of weaponry.

20cows
March 24, 2005, 03:10 PM
I know the old saying of "there's no such thing as a stupid question," however, as a teacher, I can say there is such a thing. The stupid question is the one that was just answered before you asked it and your asking proved you weren't listening.

Titus
March 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
Just pop over to eBay and search on Batleth. Somebody sells them. :)

Daemon688
March 24, 2005, 03:27 PM
Although there are many "stupid questions"; do you really think it is good for business and gun owners in general when you make smart ass comments like that to a potential customer/first time buyer? Especially when it is YOUR business. I'm sure that everyone here is an expert on everything.

Griff
March 24, 2005, 03:39 PM
I, like a suprising number of people here, work in I.T. 'Puters, ya'll. Help desk, for Uncle Sugar. Every 3rd day or so a certain Bird Colonel calls me and says "Griff, I locked myself out, can you reset my password?" I tell him that it must be his animal magnetism scr*wing with the hard-drive, and he goes away happy.

What, you ask, does that cute little story have to do with this thread?

Those durn newbies might not know the muzzle end from a hole in the ground, but it's in your best interest to be the person who takes the time to break the ice, educate them, and foster a good working relationship; else you'll soon be finding yourself posting about the injustice of Mega-Mart stealing your customers.

Edit: Oops, looks like Deamon beat me to it.
Rant Off.

Warren
March 24, 2005, 03:39 PM
RINGRING

"Morning, Wild West Guns, this is Ken, how can I help you?"

"Hi can I talk to Artemis Gordon?"

RINGRING

"Wild West guns? Dude, don't you have any modern stuff?"

RINGRING

"Got any free samples? Like promo guns the factory sends you?"

RINGRING

"I sent something off to Bear Coat and I heard you can help me."

RINGRING

"Can you play Terrapin Station?"

Spreadfire Arms
March 24, 2005, 03:52 PM
i think people are right....don't belittle a guy asking questions. if that is the case then yes you will permanently lose business.

a little goes a long way. being patient and explaining things to people makes them not only more informed but more willing to go out of their way to buy from you, if not right then, at a later date when they're ready to buy, and for all future purchases too.

my examples i pointed out were ones that were not necessarily "stupid questions." to a person (either a citizen or a dealer) well-versed in NFA, they are obvious. however to the average gun owner they are not so obvious. i listed these to point out that a "dumb" question can be very relative. that being said, i always take the time to carefully advise a person on their questions because their question isn't necessarily stupid to them. making someone understand is more important.

believe me......gun owners don't like to be disrespected! :)

Lone_Gunman
March 24, 2005, 04:18 PM
I try to talk to gun store employees and customers as little as possible.

I've heard about as many dumb comments from the employees as I have from the customers.

bogie
March 24, 2005, 04:59 PM
After handling them, he asked the fellow behind the counter if 'you could swap out the trigger on this one and put it on that one'. He wanted to take a 1911 trigger and put it on a sig.

I'll be that he wanted the SIG trigger to be as nice as the 1911s...

Tom Servo
March 24, 2005, 05:20 PM
Most are curable ignorance, but I remember standing in a local shop one day when a guy came in with a Glock (19, I think) in his backpack. No holster, no box, just the gun. He put it down on the counter and asked the clerk, "yo, what kinda clip I need for this? You got bullets for this?"

Red Flag. I tensed up and moved out of arms' length, silently wishing I hadn't obeyed the store's "no loaded guns" policy.

The clerk took the gun, looked it over, and said (with a straight face), "man, this is one of those polymer Glocks. How MUCH did you pay for this?"

Homeboy: "Well, um, you know, I got it from...a friend."

Clerk: "Man, I wish I had friends like that. This here's a fine piece. Rare."

Homeboy: "So, you got stuff for it?"

Clerk: "For a GLOCK, man? No way, these things use HIGH CAPACITY mags, and there's that Assault-Weapons thing."

Homeboy: "Can I get something that'll work?"

Clerk: "No, man. I don't wanna go back to jail, if you know what I mean. You might wanna try an Army surplus store or something."

At that, the guy just took his gun and left, muttering under his breath. Turns out, they get that from time to time, and they just stall long enough to get a good picture of the perp on the store security camera.

Double Maduro
March 24, 2005, 05:21 PM
When I was looking for a Ruger P90, from a shop owner:

We don't carry Rugers, there's no $300 gun that is any good.

Same shop, when I was trying to buy a Beretta O/U:

Shop owner; Let's see if it fits you, aim at my eye.

Me; Why, what did you do to me?

SO; Nothing, why?

Me; I only aim guns at things I want to shoot.

SO; Well I won't sell it to you if I don't know it fits.

Me; Goodby.

I bought a Winchester 101 Upland special for less money and they sent me a nice hard case and a wooden cased cleaning kit to boot. I got it from another dealer.

At another shop, I overheard a phone conversation where the clerk talked a customer out of buying a Ruger and talked him into shopping at another store.

One of the funniest was when I asked a clerk in a gun shop if they had any of the Ruger Gold Label side by sides.

We both had a good chuckle over that one.

DM

Double Maduro
March 24, 2005, 05:36 PM
Another series of good ones.

A friend gifted me her dad's 1911. This one was made in 1913 and has the tankers holster and is in original condition, about 85-90% has the original grips and has never been refinished.

About 30 gun show vendors offered me $250 for it. I finally found one that offered $800. But it worked out, I was trying to get a value for her to give to the estate. She was happy when I told her that most of the dealers offered $250.

I took my oldest grand daughter to the range for the first time and we were picking out targets.

GD; "what about one of those?"

Me, astonished, and pleased; "you want to shoot at something that looks like a person?

GD; "YEAH!"

When we got to the line:

Me; "do you want to put my shirt on over your scoop necked t-shirt, you can wear it backwards."

GD; "No grand pa, that would look silly."

GD, after getting .22 case down her shirt and a nice little burn. "OOH, OOH, Ow, I think I'll take you up on your offer of the shirt."

I believe in letting people make their own decisions and mistakes, as long as it won't cause permanent, serious injury to them or others. In this case I was very proud of her, she put the pistol on the bench, muzzle down range, before commencing to do the dance.

DM

Wildalaska
March 24, 2005, 06:26 PM
OK depsite the fact I was trying to be humourous, seems again that the "hey Im the customer and am always right even when I am an idiot crowd so lets be kind and help out stupid people" have got their panties in a bunch again....

So let me point this out.

I assume everyone understands bu my post that while I may think someone is a jerk off, I rarely tell them they are jerk offs...... ;) well most of the time.....

That being said, let me also note that I am not an expert on everyhting (beleive it or not)..however, when I am going to make a purchase OF ANYHTING I take the few, tiny, minscule moments required to familiarize myself with what I am buying so that I dont sound like an idiot when asking questions. I expect that most normal people should do the same....

I am not a teacher. Its not my job to teach folks how to brush their teeth and wipe their butts. A little preparation goes a long way.........ya have some intelligent legitimate questions, I am here for you....

"I sent something off to Bear Coat and I heard you can help me."

Its probably in the shipment of guns I, as well as Weatherby, Les Baer and several other manufacturers send them regularly (and will continue to do so) :neener:

WildknowitallAlaska

Husker1911
March 24, 2005, 06:37 PM
Hey people, relax. Enjoy the humor in these posts. Again, I'm polite to customers, I answer their questions, and educate many of them. I'm glad they come in, I respect them, and they are my livlihood. Still, if ya can't appreciate a little humor sometime................

I'd set up at a gunshow. Had about 5 tables. Was selling the absolutely lowest priced 9mm ammo in the entire show. I was talking with a customer, when a guy down on the far end of my tables motioned me over. I walked the 5 tables over to him, and he holds up a box of the low priced 9mm ammo. He asked me, "How much for two of 'em?"

Spreadfire Arms
March 24, 2005, 06:38 PM
Erik F wrote:

"I remember standing in a local shop one day when a guy came in with a Glock (19, I think) in his backpack. No holster, no box, just the gun. He put it down on the counter and asked the clerk, "yo, what kinda clip I need for this? You got bullets for this?

Turns out, they get that from time to time, and they just stall long enough to get a good picture of the perp on the store security camera."

If he is a "perp" what crime did he commit? Just wondering if he violated some law by carrying it in a backpack, without a holster, or a box?

patent
March 24, 2005, 06:44 PM
Hey people, relax.

Amen. These gunstore customer vs. gunstore owner threads always seem to get tense, but this one should have been an exception. I'm in the stupid gunstore customer category myself, but I don't mind being poked fun of.

If he is a "perp" what crime did he commit?

Silly, he had a glock. Isn't that a crime?

Of course, my read from the context is that he probably picked up that glock with no down payment, which could be another crime.

patent

Rabid Rabbit
March 24, 2005, 07:31 PM
While there is no stupid question, sometimes stupid people ask questions.

trickyasafox
March 24, 2005, 08:57 PM
the crime with the glock was an implied one i admit. but guns with muddy pasts have a tendency of being less than legal

trapperjohn
March 24, 2005, 09:59 PM
Same shop, when I was trying to buy a Beretta O/UShop owner; Let's see if it fits you, aim at my eye.

Me; Why, what did you do to me?

SO; Nothing, why?

Me; I only aim guns at things I want to shoot.

SO; Well I won't sell it to you if I don't know it fits.

Me; Goodby.

:

That is actually a very common way for peopel knowledgeable about shotgunning to check the fit of a shotgun. I have seen it performed by very competant shotgunners.

he is probably on a shotgun forum somewhere using you as an example of dumb customer stories, such as this thread

Double Maduro
March 24, 2005, 10:07 PM
trapperjohn,

Yep, I have heard this is common. But I refuse to point a gun at someone I don't intend to shoot.

I hope when he is telling the story to his buddies that he also tells them that it cost him over $1000 in sales that day.

DM

Too Many Choices!?
March 24, 2005, 10:17 PM
Went to the local guns shop and heard my fav. lady(The owner German I believe) tell me about guys in Europe saying that"You can now buy MG at Walmart in the States" :cuss: ......Some guy also came in asking could he now buy a "street sweeper" and another wanted an uzi or some other Machine pistol :cuss: Made me madder than hell about the ignorance and purposefull twisting of the Sheeples trust..... :cuss:

Archie
March 25, 2005, 02:22 AM
May I present the following list?

Things I would love to say at work:

1. I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ????.

2. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

3. How about never? Is never good for you?

4. I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

5. I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

6. I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

7. I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message..

8. I don't work here. I'm a consultant.

9. It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

10. Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...

11. I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.

12. You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.

13. I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.

14. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

15. I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

16. Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

17. The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

18. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

19. What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

20. I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.

21. It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.

22. Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

23. And your crybaby whiny-butt opinion would be...?

24. Do I look like a people person?

25. This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

26. I started out with nothing &still have most of it left.

27. Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

28. If I throw a stick, will you leave?

29. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

30. Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

31. I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

32. A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

33. Can I trade this job for what's behind door #1?

34. Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

35. Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?

36. Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done.

37. How do I set a laser printer to stun?

38. I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks

Warren
March 25, 2005, 02:55 AM
From http://www.actsofgord.com/

More Mod Chip Madness!
"Do you sell mod chips?"

"Go ahead, ask me what I sell."

"What do you sell?"

"I sell video games. What a stupid question."

"What does a mod chip cost?"

"Apparently one of us isn't keeping up."

"What do you mean?"

"If I sold you a mod chip, then you would never buy a game from me ever again. And that would be very much in opposition to my being able to run a profitable business."

"I just want one to play copied games."

"What? Do I look like an idiot? What the hell did you think I thought you wanted it for?"

"err…"

"Exactly. Now look, if I were to sell you a mod chip I would lose you as a customer. Now, if I were going to lose you as a customer I'd rather do it on a high note like setting you on fire. At least then I would have some satisfaction of a job well done."

"I'm leaving!"

"But I haven't set you on fire yet!"

P0832177
March 25, 2005, 04:12 AM
I tell you that many times it is the people on the other side of the counter that make shopping difficult.

This is evidenced by a shop in the south metro area of Mpls./St. Paul. The people behind the counter have their perceptions of certain brands of fireams. They really come across as omnipotent. Now, for me a experienced shooter I write of as them trying to impress!

Then we have "C" word of which there are two stores in the state. I was shopping for a scope at the southern "C" store. I had a gift certificate to use so I figured mise as well get something I wanted. The fellow behind the counter was a young fellow. I told him what I wanted! He then questioned me as to why I needed that for? I said it was none of his business! He then went off to tell me that all I needed was X. I walked out the store. Upon return home I went to the C website and emailed them regarding my encounter at the store. By the next morning I had two calls from the manager of the gun dept. of the C store.

He went on to explain that they treat customers with idea they know very little! As this is the type of customer they ecounter the most. Well, I said that I know more then his associate! I knew what I wanted! The manager stated the experienced shooter is the exception and not the rule! So that explained the mentality of the associate. He then told me to personally ask for him or XXX the next time I was in the store for help. I thought that it was pretty good customer service follow up to a concern.

I always get a kick out of people who frequent gun shops. There are those the chime in that they "read this on the internet" or that in the last issue of Guns and Ammo it said this.

Then you have the people that bash brands for no other reason other then they are snobs! I believe what shooters say, not what some arm chair moron with a bunch of safe queens!

whm1974
March 25, 2005, 10:00 AM
Then you have the people that bash brands for no other reason other then they are snobs! I believe what shooters say, not what some arm chair moron with a bunch of safe queens!

Any gun I will own is a gun I will shoot. It maybe only once a year or in a blue moon, but it will be shot.

-Bill

wardog
March 25, 2005, 10:42 AM
I was at a shop and one customer was looking at a stainless Beretta 92, holding it about 2 inches above the counter. When his gaze fell upon a chromed Desert Eagle in .44 he immediately let go of the 92 and sent it loudly clunking to the glass counter. At the same time he's asking to see it he says "Is it loud?"

Titus
March 25, 2005, 12:07 PM
He went on to explain that they treat customers with idea they know very little! As this is the type of customer they ecounter the most. Well, I said that I know more then his associate! I knew what I wanted! The manager stated the experienced shooter is the exception and not the rule! So that explained the mentality of the associate. He then told me to personally ask for him or XXX the next time I was in the store for help. I thought that it was pretty good customer service follow up to a concern.

Was that last line sarcasm?

nomadboi
March 25, 2005, 12:41 PM
While picking up some ammo just yesterday there was a group of three kids (age range probably 19-28) in there asking for hollow points in 9mm. Fair enough, but their total surprise at the price and at only getting 20 in a box tells me they haven't done this before, and then when they start asking about 'yo, you got any foleys' it just got bad... "foleys?" 'Yo, you know, foley auto'.

Sorry dude, if you're complaining about the price of a box of 9mm hollow point, you probably don't have a permit for full-auto, nor could you afford one for a very, very long time. And no, that particular store doesn't carry any.

..and if they did, something tells me they probably wouldn't want to sell to these guys.

Spreadfire Arms
March 25, 2005, 01:14 PM
i had a gold toothed youth ask me at the Belton (TX) Gun Show for a "Stack On Stack." Another asked me for "a gauge with the round thing." :confused:

what they meant was:
"Stack on Stack" - a side-by-side shotgun
"a gauge with the round thing" - a Mossberg 500 shotgun modified with the Knoxx Sidewinder Conversion Kit (had a 10 round drum magazine...the "round thing").

UnintendedConsequences
March 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
I have heard both customers and sales personnel speak manure and also stand on stilts like they were better than the other person. The ones that get me are the ones that sound like they know something until they say a few more words or they do something that has them showing the lack of knowledge.

I saw a Wal-Mart associate (I know...who would have thought) tell a guy buying a rifle scope that if he wanted to shoot a deer he needed X model so he could zoom in on to make the deer bigger. They guy was going to be hunting mostly in timber at shorter ranges where a lower power setting would have been better to use to see more field of view. The guy didn't know enough to think about the logic, and I didn't have the time then to say anything to correct the misinformation.

Last hunting season a guy was in a Wal-Mart wanting to buy .44 Magnum rounds for his hunting rifle. He asks the associate for FMJ rounds because they are inexpensive. She explains that for hunting he can't use FMJ ammo. He looks at her and looks puzzled. Then she explains what a box of the hunting loads cost in .44 Magnum and if he wants any. He bought the cheapest box he could of the hunting rounds, but left muttering about why couldn't he use FMJ rounds.

Then I was visiting a gun shop three hunging seasons ago, before I had my FFL, and was browsing at left hand friendly firearms (I am a southpaw) and the clerk said he didn't have much in stock for lefties, but he first shows me a nice Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win. Mag. but I explain that most of my hunting will be in dense timber with perhaps 80 yards max that I can see clearly enough to identify my target. He hands me a Ruger Deerfield Carbine and explains how he had one and used it for deer hunting the year before. Then he tells me how he shot the deer, hitting it in the shoulder, then firing again and blowing a leg off, then firing again to hit it in a hip, and then finally shooting it in the neck with the last round. He tells me he did this in the span of a few seconds.

It made me wonder about the accuracy of the rifle and the potency of the cartridge, as well as the skills of this clerk trying to sell me this rifle with his "testimonial" of how good it was. I do know now that it just takes a properly aimed shot to do the job, regardless of the caliber, as long as you have sufficient ability to cause quickly fatal injuries on a deer. That year I just went with a 12 gauge slug barrel on my Mossberg.

The ones that make me uneasy are those that talk about doing something unsafe, or look at me like I am a space alien because I am careful when looking at a gun. I have had dealers give me a puzzled look when they give me a gun to look at and I check to make sure the gun is empty, magazine removed (if possible) and I inspect the chamber for a few seconds before closing the action. When a dealer or customer aims a presumed to be unloaded gun at someone while demonstrating it, that makes me want to duck and cover. I have safety rules drilled into me by my CMP highpower club range officers at our competitions and from hunters safety. I get uneasy when safety is being ignored.

Control Group
March 25, 2005, 02:11 PM
When a dealer or customer aims a presumed to be unloaded gun at someone while demonstrating it, that makes me want to duck and cover.
It's even worse when you're that customer...and particularly if you're new to the whole experience of buying/owning guns, so you're hesitant to say anything about it. When I bought my first gun (circa three months ago), I had the clerk take two similar pistols out of the case for me to look at. In the course of pulling them out and putting them down, he never cleared either, and swept me with each at least once. After I had picked one, and while the transaction continued, he persisted in pointing the muzzle straight at me every time he put the gun down.

At this point, I had cleared the gun, but it still made me fairly nervous (call me crazy, but a guy holding a pistol with the action closed and the muzzle trained on my midsection makes me twitchy). More importantly, I came in knowing the four rules in that I could tell them to someone, but not habitually using the four rules such that it was part of how I did things (I'm still working on this). It actually made me wonder if I was overly paranoid about the rules, if people "in the know" treated them as more of a formality than real rules.

(Obviously, my instincts on this were right, and I thank THR for reinforcing them)

whm1974
March 26, 2005, 06:39 AM
In the course of pulling them out and putting them down, he never cleared either, and swept me with each at least once. After I had picked one, and while the transaction continued, he persisted in pointing the muzzle straight at me every time he put the gun down.

If I OWNED a gunshop there will be a board posted with the four rules. And I'll make sure the employees follow them.

-Bill

MikeIsaj
March 26, 2005, 07:21 AM
Just read the whole thread, (I have no life right now). Great stories. They served to re-enforce what a great gun shop I shop at. I can go in and ask any stupid question I have and get a straight faced answer. They make a clear line between facts and their opinion and even went out of their way to help my 12yo find a holster for his air pistol. Being a 12yo, my sons thoughts eventually run to Desert Eagle .50's. At my request both owners gave their honest opinion of guys who come in looking for them. Whacker and strap were the words used.

Wait, this isn't a stupid gunstore story.... never mind.

Too Many Choices!?
March 26, 2005, 09:59 AM
Lady shop owner has guy come in asking for a 44mag desert eagle...After being informed of the rarity of this weapon and price of ammo.....He bought a Glock on the spot! Oddly enough, the guy probably had enough cash on him to buy the D. eagle :uhoh: ! He got some extra glock mags/ammo and I gave him a quick lesson on take down proceedures and that was that :)

whm1974
March 26, 2005, 10:03 AM
Being a 12yo, my sons thoughts eventually run to Desert Eagle .50's. At my request both owners gave their honest opinion of guys who come in looking for them. Whacker and strap were the words used.

I've always thought that a 357 or 44 mag revolver would be more practicle than an a overpriced auto chambered for revolver ammo. Or for that matter in ammo that is hard to find.

-Bill

The_Antibubba
March 26, 2005, 10:58 AM
"...yo, you got any foleys? You. you know, foley auto?" :D :D

LMAO! OK, that one goes next to "you got DA SWITCH?"

Foleys! :rolleyes:

uvakat
March 26, 2005, 08:46 PM
It's even worse when you're that customer...and particularly if you're new to the whole experience of buying/owning guns, so you're hesitant to say anything about it. When I bought my first gun (circa three months ago), I had the clerk take two similar pistols out of the case for me to look at. In the course of pulling them out and putting them down, he never cleared either, and swept me with each at least once. After I had picked one, and while the transaction continued, he persisted in pointing the muzzle straight at me every time he put the gun down.

Yeah that happened to be a couple of weeks ago. I'm unusual in that my normal gun shop is about 2.5 hours away. I went with a friend to my local gun shop and I asked to see something in the counter. I was bored when he was trying to put a rifle on consignment. The guy working was on the phone, took the gun out of the case, pointed it at me (mid torso area), and then just set it down on the counter. I swear I was about to draw on him. I mean there is NOTHING like seeing the business end of a pistol pointing at you. Oh well... it just took a couple of years off of my life. Like you, I took out the mag and checked the action. I handed him back the gun with the action open and the mag removed. He looked at me like I'm an annoying little girl who should have made it easy for him to put away... This is why I drive 2.5 hours to go to a gun store that will hand me guns with the actions open and who's advice I trust...

Zach S
March 26, 2005, 10:23 PM
I thought a "stack by stack" would be a side by side.

A "stack on stack" would be an over/under;)

Oh, silly me, I forgot about the gangsta grip. You're right...

Clean97GTI
March 27, 2005, 01:55 AM
A new gun store recently opened up here and my GF and I went to check it out. The people were friendly and pretty knowledgable about the products they were selling. The prices were pretty good as well.
The owner was working on a customers AR rifle in the "back," but looked up long enough to greet us and point us to another employee who could help us.
At first, she seemed very friendly, but once I asked to see a Glock 19, she flat out told me I didn't want it and that the XD was better. This type of thing always bugs me.
I have the potential to be a paying customer and you telling me what I should and should not buy simply because of what I point at is not a good way to get me to part with my money.
At any rate, she went into a whole detailed explanation of why the Glock was bad and the XD great. I kinda shut her up when I mentioned that the standard issue sidearm for our city's police was a Glock 17. hated to do it, but if I want a Glock, I'll buy a Glock. I don't care if you like em or not. You can share your opinion, but don't expect me to agree with you...especially when I know better.
[/RANT]

My favorite one was at the same shop. Some guy and his female friend were asking to hold every Colt Fotee-Five in tha shop. The guy helping them was squirming all over the place as the customer covered him with the muzzle (finger on trigger no less) multiple times. He aimed it at the ceiling, sweeping everything in his path and then at an imaginary miscreant.
I started getting jumpy about the whole thing. My GF and I thanked the opiniated lady and left.

I think I will end up back there as the service and knowledge was good. Better than some other, better known shops in town. They also quoted me the best FFL x-fer price for my new Steyr S9.

Husker1911
March 27, 2005, 02:47 AM
Clean97GTI "A new gun store recently opened up here and my GF and I went to check it out. The people were friendly and pretty knowledgable about the products they were selling. The prices were pretty good as well.
The owner was working on a customers AR rifle in the "back," but looked up long enough to greet us and point us to another employee who could help us.
At first, she seemed very friendly, but once I asked to see a Glock 19, she flat out told me I didn't want it and that the XD was better. This type of thing always bugs me.
I have the potential to be a paying customer and you telling me what I should and should not buy simply because of what I point at is not a good way to get me to part with my money.
At any rate, she went into a whole detailed explanation of why the Glock was bad and the XD great. I kinda shut her up when I mentioned that the standard issue sidearm for our city's police was a Glock 17. hated to do it, but if I want a Glock, I'll buy a Glock. I don't care if you like em or not. You can share your opinion, but don't expect me to agree with you...especially when I know better.
[/RANT]
===============================================================

A good, fair post. I've made my living full time 15 years selling guns. My personal style is to show you several designs and brands, and tell you the features of all. You make up your own mind. If you don't buy today, you'll remember I answered your questions and didn't pressure you. You might just buy that gun from me, and if not, perhaps your next one.

Again, the intent of this thread was entertainment. I've been selling guns 25 years. I've described some humorous encounters. Those I've described would probably smile at the story.

I'm now going to post a thread encouraging supporting local gun stores. God Bless America. DP.

azrael
March 27, 2005, 10:53 AM
2 quesitons I gotta ask if I ever call Wild West Gun's

1...Whats the weather like up there??

2...Ya'll got any of those fancy carbine's that was in them shooting mag's??

HEHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

One of my personal favorites is this...and yea it is gunrelated

OHH yea...I hang at a local gunshop to see what is selling well, and to pick up some extra business..NO I am not being a vulture, gunshop dude gets 10% if I sell anything while I am there..so Nah!@!!! :neener:

Customer...You the guy that makes leather holster's and stuff??

Me...Yup sure am

Customer...you make stuff out of leather??

me...Yup sure do

Customer...Are they handmade??

me...yup they sure are

Customer...Do you make the leather??

me...nope the cow does, I just use it once they dont need it anymore :evil:

ANother customer...a nice lady, but kinda misguided

Lady...you make stuff out of leather?

me...yup sure do

Lady...where do you buy it??

me...from a leather wholesaler

Lady...Where do they get it??

me...from tanneries, that get them from slaughter houses, after they are killed for hamburger

Lady...I think it is wrong to kill an animal just to use it's skin...

Me...So do I...Thats why I only buy leather that is guaranteed to have NOT been killed...The leather I use is aquired from cows that were allowed to die of old age, in a pasture in Texas..

Lady...really??

me..yup :evil:

I got more...someday guys remind me to tell ya about the dude who asked if the cow leather was "kosher"...I got into all kinds of trouble with SWMBO with that one :D

entropy
March 28, 2005, 09:57 AM
Several I remember from being behind the counter:(Now I spend more time in the smithshop downstairs)

Old (like 80+) duffer: 'Ya got any clips for a tree-oh-six?' (Phone call)

Me: 'Which model of .30-06, sir?'

Old guy: ' A tree-oh-six!'

Me: 'Sir, offhand I can think of about 20 models of .30-06 rilfes that take magazines. Do you know which one yours is, sir?'

Old Guy, yelling:'G** D*** you smart a**, I said a clip for a tree-oh-F****** six!'

CLICK! I hung up. :rolleyes:
I figured it was probably an en-bloc for his Garand he brought back from Dubbaya Dubbaya Two , dere, but sorry, no sale.

Quite often guys would come in on Friday evening on their way out of town, after hitting the bar, (there were several within a couple blocks ) and want to buy a deer rifle for the opener Sat. morn.:

Tipsy customer: I'm going deer hunting tomorrow.

Me: Not with any of these guns.

Hilarity usually ensued after with them begging, pleading, attempting bribery, threatening, but usually, "Aw, come on, I just had a beer after work, man...."

And the ever popular; Can I hunt with...?

Customer: 'Can I hunt deer with a machine gun?' :what:

Me: 'Why? Ya got one?'

Customer: 'Can I hunt deer with a silencer? Y'know, so they don't spook after the first shot?' :eek:

Me: 'I try to shoot them with the first shot myself. That way they never hear it coming.' (Often with an explanation as to why)

Customer: "What's the best machine gun for deer?"

Me: 'Well, I find the belt-feds tend to scare them away with the noise from the links and all...'

Customer: "Yeah, that makes sense..." :rolleyes:

Third_Rail
March 28, 2005, 10:32 AM
While slightly off topic, yes, someone (http://www.anviltree.com/batstylbatax.html) does sell Klingon weapons. :D

Spreadfire Arms
March 28, 2005, 11:31 AM
Zach S wrote:

"Quote:
"Stack on Stack" - a side-by-side shotgun"

I thought a "stack by stack" would be a side by side.

A "stack on stack" would be an over/under

Oh, silly me, I forgot about the gangsta grip. You're right..."

i think once there was a write up in Guns & Ammo by Mossad Ayoob regarding the "gangsta" grip and if people shot better or worse with it. i think he concluded most people shot much worse with that grip. :rolleyes:

thank goodness if the gangsta is shooting at you because he'll probably miss you. however if you are an innocent bystander, maybe you'll eat lead. :(

i was at the Mesquite (TX - East Dallas) gun show and a young looking gangbanger type wanted to see a pistol grip shotgun i had (yes you have to be 21 to purchase a "pistol grip" shotgun per ATF - or as the gangsters call it a "pistolgrip pump" - yes there is a rap song called that).

it was a beat up Winchester 1200. he took it off the rack with my permission, and instead of playing with it like most people do, he stuck it under his t-shirt to see how concealable it was.

never mind the printing issue of a 12 ga. under your white fruit of the loom t-shirt...but that was quite an interesting way to see if you want to purchase something by how it fits under your shirt.

needless to say....i wasn't about to sell it to him. i suppose it was too large for him anyway because he didn't offer to buy it.

just an interesting story. :)

Control Group
March 29, 2005, 10:53 AM
I mean there is NOTHING like seeing the business end of a pistol pointing at you.
Motion seconded and carried. The only thing I can think of that would have a higher pucker-factor is someone deliberately holding a gun on you, and that's something I devoutly hope I never have to deal with.

(Though a friend of mine at work tells a great story about a time he and some buddies took a wrong turn while the pres. was in town to speak - he's the only guy I know to have been covered by an MP5)

nomadboi
March 29, 2005, 10:59 AM
I've been on the wrong end of an MP5 before... was rehearsing a fight scene for a play in a parking garage outside a community college, and one of the security guys musta seen us and flipped out. Had SWAT called on us.

They got a good chuckle out of it, once they figured out what was going on.

whm1974
March 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
Try walking the aisle at a gun show, and getting a creepy feeling, and then looking up and realizing that someone looking at a milsurp one aisle over not only has it trained on you, but has been tracking you with it.

One of the reasons I don't like going to gun shows. It is quite common for people to bring in loaded guns they inherited from relations to sell and since they don't any thing about guns...

Gives me the shivers...

-Bill

mfree
March 29, 2005, 01:54 PM
it was a beat up Winchester 1200. he took it off the rack with my permission, and instead of playing with it like most people do, he stuck it under his t-shirt to see how concealable it was.

never mind the printing issue of a 12 ga. under your white fruit of the loom t-shirt...but that was quite an interesting way to see if you want to purchase something by how it fits under your shirt.

Someone comes into our store and grabs something off the shelf and proceeds to *hide* it, without one of us present, is likely not to be treated as "customer" for long.

No common sense these days.... unless the punk was *actually* attempting to see if he could hide the thing well enough to walk out with it.

Halffast
March 29, 2005, 03:39 PM
Funniest one I heard at my favorite store was that a guy brought back the deer rifle and scope he had bought the week before complaining that there was something wrong with the scope. The owner asked him what it was doing and he said that it wouldn't stay on target when he shot offhand. If he rested it on the bench, it shot fine, but when he just threw it up and shot it wouldn't hit. He thought it might be him, so he had his buddy try. Same thing. Shot great off the bench, but wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn offhand.

David

wolf_from_wv
March 29, 2005, 07:13 PM
i had a gold toothed youth ask me at the Belton (TX) Gun Show for a "Stack On Stack." Another asked me for "a gauge with the round thing."

what they meant was:
"a gauge with the round thing" - a Mossberg 500 shotgun modified with the Knoxx Sidewinder Conversion Kit (had a 10 round drum magazine...the "round thing").
=======================================

I'd have tried to sell him a set of dial calipers... :confused:

We have this set here from Midway, they are fairly cheap, and are more tactical because they have a cannon on the case. If you want something better, we can order you a set of Starretts or Mitutoyos, bet they will cost a lot more...

akviper
March 29, 2005, 11:35 PM
Turning it around a bit, I was attempting to purchase a box of 41 mag ammo at a gun store. The young lady behind the counter brought down the box, opened it, and asked, "how many do you want?" I was tempted to tell her I only wanted two rounds but patiently explained to her that people usually buy the whole box. She was amazed.

Logistics
March 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
Dumbest thing ever I suppose was a guy walking in to the store I work for with a Ruger M77 in .270 and said he wanted it "fixed" as he accidentally put 6 rounds of .308 down range through it! The gun held together, however I could not help myself from laughing outloud in front of the customer! "Are you SURE you can't fix this???" He retorted, I said "no sir". He said he noticed something was wrong when the bolt "got a little stiff and then stopped moving almost altogether".

Needless to say I still get a huge chuckle out of that one.....

Story #2 was about a week ago when little johnny mouthbreather was in the literature section of the store staring endlessly and mindlessly flipping through pages in several gun value type books we had for sale. After ignoring him because we are NOT A LIBRARY, he finally approches me and in typical mouth breather tone says, "Sir could you make me a copy of these three pages?", I replied, "For 24.95 I'll give you every page in that book", he stared in amazement and I walked away.

Still however, for a part time job it has some great benefits.

;)

Mark8252
March 30, 2005, 01:19 AM
For some reason gun shops get more than their share of arrogant employees.
I believe its called macho stupidity.

wolf_from_wv
March 30, 2005, 11:15 PM
I was in a gun store a couple weeks ago... There were two guys at the counter having a heated discussion with the employee about a gun bash. I guess someone's name was called, but that person wasn't there. Once the name was called, that was it. They moved on to the next gun.

The guys were saying that that wasn't fair. Since the person didn't pick it up right away, they should have put it back in the drawing again. Or, they said people should have got their money back because they didn't have a chance on each thing...

It is amazing what kind of "logic" people can come up with, and try to convince other people of...

========================

I work in a college library... I have been asked...

"What makes a condominium, a condominium?"

Ummmmm...

"How do I know what year to use for the catalog?"

It is the first year that you had class...

"I need to find information about American Wars in the Midwest involving the American Indians, the Vatican, Guam, Vietnam, ----and several other things that I can't remember now..."

:banghead: He was looking for information about the Melungeons...

"Can I buy my books here?"

No, the bookstore is down the hallway, beside the door that you came in...

Answered the phone:
_______ ________ Library, ______ speaking...

"Is this the library?"

:banghead:

ckyllo
March 31, 2005, 11:29 AM
not a dumb question but a dumb act. was at a sporting goods store and a fellow had a beretta CX4 storm, I like the rifle but... He was having it fitted with a bipod and a scope that looked like about a strait 10 power bushnell 3200. and than asked for a box of ammo, somthing that hits hard at 25 yards. a 10 power scope and bipod and shooting at 25 yards. :what:

I also saw a guy at the same store that traded a glock 23 for a ruger 22/45. the 23 was his carry gun and he could not shoot it and hit anything. so since he could shoot a 22 good he decided to carry that instead of the 40. I think he would of been better off keeping the glock and getting some training or maybe consider trading to a 9mm or 38 with some range time. the kicker was that he transported gems and gold for a living.

Bopleo
March 31, 2005, 11:39 AM
I find it funny that most gun store employees think they are gun experts, when they are just your basic retail salesman.

Zach S
March 31, 2005, 12:39 PM
...the gangsters call it a "pistolgrip pump" - yes there is a rap song called that).
By Volume 10. IIRC it was on the hip-hopera album...

cowboybobb693
March 31, 2005, 01:20 PM
Many years ago I was working in a gun store in Las Vegas. A young man came in and asked to see a particular weapon. I made sure that the weapon was unloaded, magazine out, slide back etc... and this duffus asked me why I did all of that!!! I explained that it was for his and my safety to insure that the weapon was unloaded and safe to be handled. He then proceeded to point this weapon at me, saying that since it was unloaded he could point it at me !!! I moved away from him and explained that even though it was unloaded you should NEVER point a weapon at something you did not wish to shoot. This jerk-off pointed the gun at me AGAIN !!!! at this point in time I walked from behind the counter grabbed his "cluster" with one hand and stuck my LOADED Gold Cup in his nose and explained to him very softly that he had been warned once and now was the time to get out of the store before someone got hurt, namely him
It bugs me that people are so stupid.

Spreadfire Arms
March 31, 2005, 05:41 PM
Jesus Bobb i thought you were a friendly gent :p

now im skurred! :what:

mack69
March 31, 2005, 06:44 PM
Cowboybob...I had just the opposite of your story....I was shopping for a new handgun and asked the clerk behind the counter to see the CZ97B, CZ's 1911 double stack. The clerk opens the case grabs the gun with his finger through the trigger guard, flips it around on his finger and hands me the gun muzzle first. I quickly open palmed the muzzle to my left and down and he looks at me like *** are you doing? I told him I don't much care for someone pointing a gun at me...he says it's unloaded...I asked how do you know that... to which he responds we don't keep loaded guns in the case. He was also amazed at just how fast I dropped the mag cycled the slide a few times, checked the gun and handed it back to him butt first and walked away. He seemed quite offended on all counts...This is the same guy I find out later that got nailed by his manager for twirling of all things a 1911 like he was a gun slinger....Go figure.....Even my kids know the proper way to handle a firearm...and my daughter is only 5. Always impresses folk when they hand a weapon to one of them and the first thing they do is drop the mag and cycle the slide a few times or pop the cylinder on a wheel gun before handling....mack

cowboybobb693
March 31, 2005, 08:46 PM
Aw Steve, You KNOW I'm a mellow guy. I mean just look at they way I dress. :eek: :eek:
Cheap Wally World straight legged jeans, baggy old shirts, Johnson and Murphy tassled slip ons, soft spoken( LARGE caliber handgun).
I look so whimpy that even UGLY chicks won't give me the time of day. Maybe it's my "mall ninja" watch that scares them off :uhoh: :uhoh:
I guess that after having a couple of extra holes placed in my body I'm kinda paranoid about such things.

mfree
March 31, 2005, 11:38 PM
Some of the muzzle pointing, "It's not loaded" peeps could use some judicious prestidigitation...

What I mean is, plan ahead, and palm a round that fits the gun. When you get handed a closed-action gun muzzle first, flip it around, rack the slide, and drop the round on the table like it spit out the ejection port.

Then hold your nose, because someone's going to need a clean pair.

MikeIsaj
April 7, 2005, 09:58 AM
Am I the only person in the world who wants the magazine on the table when handed a weapon? I've only seen the mag dropped one time in a gunshop, and that was by another Marine. We were told that further reduces the chance of a magic bullet making it's way into that chamber.

And when I'm told "you don't want THAT gun", my response is "if it's no good, why do you sell it?"

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumb Gunstore Questions You've Heard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!