The end of 1911forum.com

PDA

geegee
March 24, 2005, 04:12 PM
Man, I hate to see this happen:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/

That forum has been a motherlode of knowledge for me as I've pursued my passion of 1911's. I've learned a heck of a lot there, and still have plenty more to go. That's one forum I'll really miss. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "The end of 1911forum.com" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
March 24, 2005, 04:15 PM
Well, that certainly does suck. :(

Black Majik
March 24, 2005, 04:23 PM
Aww...

that was my favorite "specific gun site" to read and post at.

That sucks. They also had the best 1911 For sale forum. What a bummer. :(

Larry Ashcraft
March 24, 2005, 04:23 PM
That's too bad. 1911forum was the very first gun forum I belonged to.

jerryd
March 24, 2005, 04:29 PM
I am having withdrawl pains!!! It really sucks, such a wealth of knowledge there, going to miss it! :( :(

Sergeant Sabre
March 24, 2005, 04:38 PM
I too will miss that site.

I suggest those who havn't already, register here: http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

George S.
March 24, 2005, 04:55 PM
That's too bad as they had a lot of good info for 1911 fans and the best part was the separate sections for different makes of the 1911 design.

But the 1911 Owner's Group is also a good forum and hopefully they can pick up members and continue to provide some good information and knowledge.

Aleko
March 24, 2005, 04:56 PM
I suggest those who havn't already, register here: http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?
Or here:

1911 Owners Group (http://www.1911og.org/forum/index.php)

Lonestar.45
March 24, 2005, 05:06 PM
That sucks! It's one of the most valuable gun specific sites I know of. I'm sure someone would step in and take it over, there are lots of members over there that would be interested in keeping it going.

Mac Attack
March 24, 2005, 06:00 PM
I just joined that forum beginning of this year when I purchased a USGI 1911. I found all responding members to be extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I am saddened to see it go down and hope somehow it can be brought back to life.

Mac

shoot870p
March 24, 2005, 06:04 PM
what was the problem? funds? will also miss that site- good info was available there.

tc300mag1
March 24, 2005, 06:14 PM
yawn this is same thing that happened what 1-2 years ago was gone few months and reopened

ScorpioVI
March 24, 2005, 06:16 PM
Good riddance. I agree about that site being the motherlode of 1911 info, but I got banned from there for getting into an argument with one of the moderators in a motorcycle thread. What's worse is that the moderator started the whole argument to begin with.

pythonguy
March 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you got till its gone...."

One of the best and most professional forums for 1911 and gun aficionados on the net, loved to go there everyday and read the posts. Learned something new each and every time I read a new post. Thanks to those who owned and ran it, best to you in your future endeavors. Hopefully you will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix.

jefnvk
March 24, 2005, 06:20 PM
1911forum was the very first gun forum I belonged to.

+1. In fact, they are the ones that sent me here.

I haven't been there in two weeks, but it was a great site. I didn't care much for general gun discussion there, but if you needed to know anything about the 1911, you could find it there.

And I for one did enjoy the strict moderation. Maybe it was just because I was looking there for specific information, not as a place to chit-chat, but it was refreshing to read through a whole thread without 'I can't believe you believe that' and 'I agree'.

Jspy
March 24, 2005, 08:07 PM
Thats a pisser! That forum has cost me a lot of both time and money. I'm gonna miss it. :(

tthiel
March 24, 2005, 08:23 PM
Well I guess McVay and some of the other mods will have to find somewhere else to exercise their power trips.

AirPower
March 24, 2005, 09:05 PM
Okay, now the choices are:

http://forum.m1911.org/

and

http://www.1911og.org/forum/index.php

Which is better?

Sulaco
March 24, 2005, 09:29 PM
Good riddance. I agree about that site being the motherlode of 1911 info, but I got banned from there for getting into an argument with one of the moderators in a motorcycle thread. What's worse is that the moderator started the whole argument to begin with.

Exactly the same thing that happened to me but not about a motorcycle. I say good riddance.

Black_Talon
March 24, 2005, 09:38 PM
Okay, now the choices are:

http://forum.m1911.org/

and

http://www.1911og.org/forum/index.php

Which is better?

http://forum.m1911.org/ is the more active of the two.

BenW
March 24, 2005, 09:42 PM
It was the first firearms forum for me as well, and eventually led me to TFL and here. I also hope that the wealth of info there can be archived someplace.

cobb
March 24, 2005, 09:47 PM
Yep, years ago got banned by McVay too.

Went back under a different login and just avoided everything that had anything to with McVay.

It is one of my favorite forums, and I have gotten along just super for the past few years.

Sure hope it doesn't close up shop permanently. :confused:

Parker Dean
March 24, 2005, 10:31 PM
The message reads like he's wanting/needing somebody to take over ownership, not just shut it down. I feel the odds are good somebody will step up since even I'd do it except that I'm waaay past broke.

azrael
March 24, 2005, 10:37 PM
I for one wont miss it one bit...One of the mods pretty much ruined it for me..All I did was disagree with another member, and he jumped all over me for it...Watched him do it to several people, several times...Decided I didnt want to play in there sandbox and left...

Tman
March 24, 2005, 10:56 PM
Hey, maybe our THR & mods can take over the 1911 forum! :)

Third_Rail
March 24, 2005, 11:14 PM
Just to clarify, my intent is to transfer the forum ownership, not shut the doors. If I can get a few things in order, the forums may re-open during the interim. I apologize for any confusion.

It's not closing.

GunWares
March 24, 2005, 11:37 PM
It's not closing.

It should close. Incompetent owner, arrogant mods, and they let people who own Kimbers post there. :neener:

Seriously, I think m1911.org is a better site. I won't miss it.

ScorpioVI
March 25, 2005, 02:13 AM
LOL, glad to hear I'm not the only one that had problems with the mods there.

Zeke Menuar
March 25, 2005, 03:16 AM
Good riddance. Arrogant, self important internet Napoleons.

They won't be missed by me.

ZM

mcmoyer
March 25, 2005, 06:22 AM
I look forward to it reopening, myself. I especially enjoyed the Browning Hi Power forum.

:D

Also got in some great 1911 magazine group buys before the owner/mods shut them off.

:cuss:

71Commander
March 25, 2005, 07:24 AM
http://www.1911og.org is still in it's infant stage and growing. Give it some time.

Wingshooter
March 25, 2005, 07:34 AM
1911 forum was my first foray into the whole internet gun thing, which then sent me to TFL, then here. I loved the forum at first, but after a while I got tired of the constant bickering and heavy handed moderation. It just seemed like there was too much bitterness on that board, so I drifted away. Shame really. I did go back every now and then to bug Gary Smith about Caspian stuff, but on the whole I prefer where I am now.

Old Dog
March 25, 2005, 09:54 AM
Hmm ... a few comments along these lines:
Good riddance. Arrogant, self important internet Napoleons.

I guess a lot of folks can't stand forums on which the members are expected to communicate as mature adults, with no petty bickering allowed, and with consequences for personal attacks.

Personally, I've always found the 1911 forum to be the home of some of the most civil, polite and knowledgeable gun people on the whole internet.

But then, I like my information to be accurate and don't tend to relish the drama, insults and innuendo that are tolerated on other forums as part of the "discussions".

Wingshooter
March 25, 2005, 10:24 AM
I guess a lot of folks can't stand forums on which the members are expected to communicate as mature adults, with no petty bickering allowed, and with consequences for personal attacks.

Actually, that was my expectation. Unfortunately, at the time I quit posting regularly it was not that way over there. At least in my estimation.

Were there many knowledgeable people there, yes. I had a great deal of respect for them as well. I still do. Things probably got better after I left there, I don't know I wasn't there. At the time though, the things you mentioned above are the types of things I saw least often.

Rrespectfully, this is not an attack... merely a personal observation.

pinetree64
March 25, 2005, 12:00 PM
When THR took a break, I ended up spending most of my time over there. I never had a problem. Lots of good people and information. I will miss it. I hope it gets back up and running. As a result I am a Kimber :neener: and a Springfield owner.

tjg

Titus
March 25, 2005, 12:20 PM

Extend that to the mods and you'd have something there!

Zip06
March 25, 2005, 12:33 PM
An excellent site. It will be missed.

ScorpioVI
March 25, 2005, 02:52 PM

But then, I like my information to be accurate and don't tend to relish the drama, insults and innuendo that are tolerated on other forums as part of the "discussions".

The first sentence above comes pretty damn close to "innuendo" if you ask me. Pot, kettle, black. :rolleyes:

p.s. If you were a 1911forum moderator, you would ban me for pointing that out. :neener:

macavada
March 25, 2005, 03:55 PM
I saw an exchage between a member from this forum, and a moderator over on 1911forum. Civil exchange in which the member was asking about heavy moderation, and pointing it out to the forum. He was banned basically for civilly disagreeing. The moderator was very childish.

RoyG
March 25, 2005, 04:33 PM
Was one of the first forum sites I found after I got my 1911.

Mannlicher
March 25, 2005, 05:59 PM
I joined 1911forum a long time back. I did not post much, but read a lot.

http://forum.m1911.org is a pretty good place too. There is a lot of technical info there.

I like the mods there too :)

Sam in Miami

Bacon
March 25, 2005, 07:35 PM
That's too bad about the mods. I went there for learning reasons & thought it was a great site.

Excalibur
March 25, 2005, 08:12 PM
I'll join in -- 1911 was the first forum I ever posted on and I'll really miss it. I hope Jason finds a good replacement. I don't even know what it takes to run one of these forums but I really do enjoy them.

thorazine
March 25, 2005, 08:31 PM
Good riddance! From my understanding they were the first to start the retarded trend of putting your fancy watch next to your gun in pictures. :neener:

GunWares
March 26, 2005, 12:25 PM
I saw an exchage between a member from this forum, and a moderator over on 1911forum. Civil exchange in which the member was asking about heavy moderation, and pointing it out to the forum. He was banned basically for civilly disagreeing. The moderator was very childish.

I saw this on more than one occasion over there. And I've seen it occur on other sites as well. Brings to mind the old Roman maxim, "who will moderate the moderators?" :scrutiny:

geegee
March 26, 2005, 02:15 PM
Brings to mind the old Roman maxim, "who will moderate the moderators?"
Bannus Maximus, of course! :D

pax
March 26, 2005, 02:22 PM
Closed this because the 1911forum.com isn't actually closing, because THR doesn't do forum wars, and because it's not really on topic with our mission statement.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or another moderator.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "The end of 1911forum.com" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!