.303 Ammo Availability

PDA

alamo
March 24, 2005, 10:29 PM
I was kicking around the idea of getting an Enfield but in browsing the Enfield forum at Gunboards.com, I got the impression there is little, if any milsurp ammo available in that caliber.

I would not be shooting it much if I got one, would get it mainly for historical interest. Is there commercial ammo somewhat reasonably available & affordable?

If you enjoyed reading about ".303 Ammo Availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
March 24, 2005, 10:56 PM
PMP can be had for around $7/box of 20. Handloading can get you down to about $4/box of 20.

tommyt
March 24, 2005, 11:18 PM
Not much surplus left you would want. Old WWII stuff is like mud. Several companies load this caliber though.

swingset
March 25, 2005, 02:47 AM
S&B and HotShot make good MkVII grade commercial stuff, good brass too. Can be had for +-$7 a box.

MrMurphy
March 25, 2005, 09:08 AM
I shoot new-made Sellier & Bellot (S&B) .303 and it's effective out to 900+yards.

alamo
March 25, 2005, 10:13 AM
That's not bad at all for the amount of shooting I would likely do with it. Thanks for the info.

Texian Pistolero
March 25, 2005, 04:38 PM
Stay away from any early '50's British Army milsurp.

I had two lots with one in three hangfires.

Every third round (or so) would fizzle about three seconds before going boom.

You would not want to open the action to see what was going on.

If you enjoyed reading about ".303 Ammo Availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!