LAR Grizzly ???

March 25, 2005, 12:31 AM
I'm sure I won't get to much response to this.
I'm thinking there's not too many Grizzly owners here.
If you do have a LAR Grizzly, do you holster it ?
If so, in what ? I know LAR made some Leather back in the day.
Do the Grizzly's happen to fit in some holster designed for another gun ?

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

If you enjoyed reading about "LAR Grizzly ???" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
March 26, 2005, 01:52 AM
Nice LAR! Is it a 50AE? I have been wanting one but I don't see them around much. Those I saw were... err... a little pricey?
Sorry I have no answer, but I have looked a lot at different leather smiths lately, looking for a perfect couple of holsters, one for protected carry when hunting and another for ccw. Quite a few places will custom make one to a gun, cost not being much higher.
BTW, how does the LAR shoot? Recoil heavy or not?

March 26, 2005, 09:08 AM
Hello PaulDaisy,
This one is actually the MK IV which is the 44 magnum version.
I felt that this one would not take me to the cleaners everytime I went to shoot it, yet it's still a very collectable version of the Grizzly as I have not found many of the mark 4's anywhere.
I'm wondering if it will just tuck into a bottomless 1911 holster to accomodate the Compensator ?
I have not had the pleasure of shooting her yet. I have not been to the range in a long time and there's a list of guns that will be going next time.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

March 26, 2005, 12:02 PM
I have a Grizzly, a MkI in .45 Winmag. It will fit in a couple of cheap nylon generic holsters that I have. One is a shoulder holster, vertical style, and the other is a belt holster.

Yes, I remember seeing LAR holsters for sale last century. There was one on E-Bay earlier this week.

I feel a little silly putting such an expensive gun in such a cheap holster. However, I don't feel silly enough to pay mega$$$$ for an original holster, or to have one custom made.

The Grizzly is a great gun, I wish some one would put it back in production. There is an LAR Grizzly forum that I have visited. I felt silly for paying $40 for my 2 spare magazines, look at the price for magazines now!

March 26, 2005, 12:43 PM
Do you remember what the holsters were designed to fit ?

Also, do you have the address for the Grizzly forum ?

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

March 26, 2005, 01:45 PM
The shoulder holster is a Bianchi Ranger, size #5. It is not open on the bottom, so your comp equipped pistol probably won't fit. Mine is a 5.5" uncomped version. It is not exactly comfortable with the heavy Grizzly, but at least it works.

The belt holster is a generic nylon model, complete with adjustable velcro straps, and ambidextrous belt slots. It has no markings whatsoever. I bought it about 15 years ago at a gun show. It will hold a variety of handguns, not well, but passably so. It is open on the bottom, so it might accomodate a comp gun.

This forum is not very active. Maybe we can change that.

I hope all this helps.

March 26, 2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the address.
See ya over there.

If you enjoyed reading about "LAR Grizzly ???" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!