Holster position question

PDA

Phantom Warrior
March 25, 2005, 02:23 AM
I was watching Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous tonight w/ some friends. One thing sticks out though. Well, the part where I noticed a guy had his spare mags on his RIGHT side, thought "Hey, I bet he's left handed.", and was right later sticks out too.

But the question I had was this. In the movie, a number of people are shown with their holster extremely far forward on their belt. Roughly 1:00 or 1:30 on the belt. Personally, I'm not comfortable carrying forward of 3:00, usually more like 4:00. Now I know Hollywood isn't a great place for gun tips. But I figure it's worth asking. Does anyone actually carry in this manner? Esp LEOs who don't have to worry about being made? Your thoughts please...

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster position question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chupacabra
March 25, 2005, 02:49 AM
I think a few people here carry at 1:00 or 2:00.

As long as the pistol is secure and can be drawn easily, it's a good position. It's not for me, as I prefer 3:30, but I can see how some people might like it.

;)

Sunray
March 25, 2005, 03:23 AM
"...Your thoughts please..." It's a movie. Nothing in movies or on TV is real. Especially anything that has to do with firearms.
Stop worrying about what is portrayed in movies and go buy and read 'Hatcher's Notebook'. You should be able to find it in your local gun shop. About $30.

Kelsey
March 25, 2005, 03:24 AM
3:30 is the perfect spot for me. Conceals well and is easily accessible with any type of covering. Just have to remember to continually train from your carry position to ensure clean efficient draw to the firing position.

Archie
March 25, 2005, 03:30 AM
It works very well indeed under a loose pullover type arrangement. Either a polo or tee shirt, or sometimes a pullover sweater.

Helps to have a short barrelled pistol in this case. The muzzle can poke into one's thigh, or the butt gets one in the jelly roll.

Wayne D
March 25, 2005, 10:00 AM
A straight drop or muzzle forward holster can work well, but I think what Phantom Warrior is talking about is all the TV cops with their FBI cant (butt forward) holsters worn in the appendix position. This bothers me too, along with the absence of spare mags, cuffs, radios, etc.

Stinger
March 25, 2005, 10:24 AM
You were watching what?

Did you lose a bet or something? :D

Stinger

Jeeper
March 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
I've carried a Para P-13 45 at 1 oclock for about 8 years. It is the only comfortable way for me to carry and not print. I also carry a smith 640 when it is hot in the same position. One reason is that I can easily get to it while driving.

P95Carry
March 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
I reckon for some, that is a viable position - does not suit me however, at all. I am pretty much a 3 0'clock to 3.15 carrier.

Ran a thread on positions (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=128751&goto=newpost) not long ago - to see what folks thought - might be of interest.

Jim K
March 25, 2005, 02:15 PM
I never carried that way, preferring the right side, but I have seen cops carry the gun well forward, usually right beside the badge which is also on the belt. I have also heard of cops getting he** for carrying that way, due to bad PR. I emphatically do not recommend it for CCW licensees for the same reason. Sure, it's legal, but do you really want every old lady you pass calling the police to report you? I don't.

Jim

grampster
March 25, 2005, 02:27 PM
When I worked in uniform patrol I carried in the 1:00 o'clock position, cross draw on the right side as I'm left handed. It was more comfortable in the car and made it easier to get at if I needed to. I usually carried that way when walking around as well, as I didn't really care what it looked like. More important to be able to get at easily it if needed.

When carrying a mouse gun, for me, Beretta Tomcat, itb, with a shirt out, it is more comfortable and accessable that way as well. Usually I carry my Tomcat in a back pocket, though.

jlwatts3
March 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
You actually paid to see that movie? You're kidding right? :scrutiny:

Standing Wolf
March 25, 2005, 10:01 PM
When I carry openly, I sometimes shift the holster in front of my hip bone to about 2:00. When I carry concealed, 4:00 usually works best.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holster position question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!