Handgun Identification Riddle

PDA

fistful
March 25, 2005, 02:03 AM
A friend of mine (a hunter, reloader and developing into a true gun nut) asked me about a pistol that his son in Alaska had described to him. The following are the points used in the description.

Inexpensive

Russian

Beretta

Made in the 1950's

fires 9mm ammunition

Someone please tell me what he is talking about. A Russian 9mm similar to a Beretta? A Beretta copy made in the USSR or some Soviet Bloc country?

So confused! :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Identification Riddle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
only1asterisk
March 25, 2005, 02:06 AM
Maybe an Egyptian Helwan?

David

Sunray
March 25, 2005, 02:13 AM
Hi. They really didn't give you enough info. However, it could be a Tokarev. Does it look like this? http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/Tokarev.htm
Being confused is ok.

Scottmkiv
March 25, 2005, 02:13 AM
Thats my guess too.

fistful
March 25, 2005, 02:17 AM
They really didn't give you enough info. No kidding.

Zak Smith
March 25, 2005, 02:23 AM
It's probably just a Makarov. The Makarov PM/PMM was adopted in 1951. Its slide mounted decocker/safety looks like the decocker on a Beretta 92. It is chambered in 9x18 Mak.

-z

Archie
March 25, 2005, 02:26 AM
No Berettas made in Russia. Nor am I aware of any contract sales. (Not that that is the law of the cosmos....)

Egypt and Russia were awfully pally in the late 1950's - early 60's. The Helwan copy of the Beretta Brigadier fits the bill, sort of.

Unless someone thinks the Makarov is a Beretta variant....

max popenker
March 25, 2005, 06:06 AM
maybe Tokagypt 58 - a hungarian-made 9mm Tocarev clone, made on Egypt order, but latter replaced in Egypt by the Beretta M951

However, about 2 years ago i received an image of an actual pistol, with slide engraved "Makarov Tokarev military 9mm"
Guess what? It was a 9mm Tanfoglio (a.k.a. EAA Witness) with homemade funny engraving, made for unknown purposes.

So - anything is possible ;)

lwsimon
March 25, 2005, 07:08 AM
CZ-52?

Doesn't QUITE fit, it IS:
Inexpensive
Made in 1952-54
Fires 9mm - more commonly 7.62Tokarev, but some were made in 9x19

It isn't:
Russian(Czech)
Beretta

I'm putting my money on the Mak, due to the slide-mounted safety though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Identification Riddle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!