marlin model 60 .22 for hd or trunk carry??

PDA

seansean
March 25, 2005, 03:03 PM
my local gun store has one for 79.95, opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "marlin model 60 .22 for hd or trunk carry??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhiteKnight
March 25, 2005, 03:17 PM
Home defense: no
Trunk carry [for an occasional bout of plinking or small game hunting]: yes

cookekdjr
March 25, 2005, 03:19 PM
For $80, I'd buy one right now.

Soap
March 25, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'd buy it, but for neither purpose. Every person should have a quality .22 rifle and handgun. For that price, snag it. Use the Mossy for HD.

RoyG
March 25, 2005, 04:13 PM
Grab it

Rupestris
March 25, 2005, 05:17 PM
let me be the first to say no, don't buy it.

I have one and I can tell you first hand that it will only lead to one thing. Wanting more .22 rifles.

It'll start with the 60, then a Nylon 66, then a bolt action, then a Marlin lever gun, then a tricked out 10/22...

:D

Bear Gulch
March 25, 2005, 06:43 PM
I have the 60 I got when I was 11. It still shoots great and has been through numeous adventures with my son and I. 80 bucks is about right.

black bear
March 25, 2005, 07:11 PM
I have the model 60, try to get the one with a magazine as is easier to unload from the gun.
The one with the magazine tube under the stock is much more delicated, and if the magazine get damage in the trunk of your car, or truck it will not feed reliable.
black bear

Mulliga
March 25, 2005, 11:50 PM
Even the tubular magazine version is a decent deal at $80 if it's in good condition.

My magazine-fed Marlin is a good, accurate .22, and I didn't have to support "loaded chamber indicator" Ruger, either.

A .22 is better than nothing, but worse than everything else.

greg531mi
March 26, 2005, 01:08 AM
That 22 will protect you against the squirrel army!!!!
Better check the law about having guns in the trunk......

sm
March 26, 2005, 01:29 AM
Listen to Rupestris , he speaks the truth. Band-aids, Benedryl, Calamine Lotion...nothing works to alleviate this "itch". :D

I beg to differ on the effectiveness of a .22lr for defense. Granted NOT my first choice or one I often recommend.

I base this on some folks that at one time used Shotguns, ARs, larger Centerfire handguns for HD and CCW that could no longer do so.

Dying of cancer, Back / Neck/ Spine Sugeries...many incidences can be cited and though of... and warned to NOT subject the body to any recoil larger than a .22lr. Think of our own Preacherman for a sec.

Got a kid that knows safe gun handling, has a .22 rifle and the balloon goes up?

I prefer to think out of the box, and kept options open.

chadintex
March 26, 2005, 01:47 AM
My grandmother is extremely arthritic and uses the Mdl. 60 as her home defense rifle. Anybody that can withstand 14-17 rounds of .22 to the head is a very tough person indeed. I have 3, it was my first rifle and I love it, snatch it up.

If you enjoyed reading about "marlin model 60 .22 for hd or trunk carry??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!