Argentina dove hunt

PDA

xtarheel
March 12, 2003, 09:04 AM
Got back a couple weeks ago. Wow, what an experience. We were treated like kings at the Estancia and the six of us managed to shoot 9,441 dove in what amounted to 2 1/2 days of shooting! If anyone would be interested I can't say enough good things about the outfitter I used. He has a website at www.argentinawildwings.com The country was surprising, we spent a day and night in Buneos Aires before heading inland to Cordoba. Very interesting "European" city with an exchange rate that is really in the Americans favor. Fantastic hunt if you don't mind a nine hour flight from Miami.

If you enjoyed reading about "Argentina dove hunt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
March 12, 2003, 10:29 AM
Yeah, the Argentine economy being in such a shambles, it oughta be a really good place right now, moneywise.

Whose shotguns? What part of the country? Did you hunt over grainfields?

Do you have any feel for the size of kill as far as other hunters doing the same? Is there enough of such hunting that the population dynamics could be affected? (TFL had an Argentine member; from his comments I'd think there are far, far fewer hunters down there than in the U.S.)

Art

xtarheel
March 12, 2003, 05:07 PM
Hi Art. To answer your questions, it is not as tough to bring shotguns into Argentina as it is in Mexico so we brought our own. We agreed among ourselves to bring one extra gun for each two hunters in case of a problem. I brought my Benelli SBE and my wifes Beretta 20 ga auto. I was the only one with a non-Benelli.

The Estancia was about 60 miles east of Cordoba. Cordoba is a one hour flight by jet from Buenos Aires. I was completely surprised by the land. It looked like Illinois or Indiana with North Carolina climate. We hunted over soy beans and corn fields. That far south of the equater this is the equivilant to our late summer. In fact, their school year is just now starting.

The "roost" near where we were hunting holds between 15 and 18 million dove. They are a real pest. The government tried to posion them several years ago but it caused too many other problems.

We never ran into any other hunters while we were there, although there are several other outfitters in the Cordoba area. Our estancia was no more than 10 minutes from any of the fields that we hunted. For the six of us we had a english speaking host ( A 25 year old man that had been an exchange student in Seattle) a gormet chef, a waiter, two house keepers, a hunt master that cleaned our guns twice a day, a massuse, and a bird boy for each hunter! Also good Argintenian wine and live entertainment every night. Yes, we were spoiled :)

Art Eatman
March 12, 2003, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a heckuva deal!

A bit closer to home, I was talking to some folks down in Costa Rica. The rice farmers there love to have folks come in and hunt those pestiferous whitewing doves that eat on their rice crops. :) Didn't find anything at the time about commercial bird hunts, though...

Haven't heard of any change in gun laws: I saw an ad in the Tico Times, "For Sale: Ruger Blackhawk, $300 US." (1985 price, there.) Great place, CR.

Art

cratz2
March 18, 2003, 04:19 PM
Speaking of Costa Rica, my wife's mother and step father are retiring down there in a few years. He's wanting to set up something on the beach for boat/houseboat rental and taking folks out of deep sea fishing. Maybe a few cabins or somesuch.

He's invited us down there with them. With three kids, maybe we'll visit a coupel times first but they've gone down there a couple times and seem to think they are extremely pro-America and would be 100% safe. I just can't imagine living in another country.

cratz2
March 18, 2003, 04:21 PM
Sounds like you were really living it up down there, Robert. I'd love to do something like that someday.

Rembrandt
March 26, 2003, 09:00 PM
....I was just down there for three weeks last month on business, didn't have time for any hunting. You're right about the money exchange being in our favor. I have to return later this summer, maybe I'll get a chance to try some birds....Thanks for the link to your guide service....good to have positive feedback.

Grayrock
October 26, 2003, 04:30 PM
I saw a show on Shotgun Journal today about hunting in Argentina. The ranch was owned by a guy named Serge Dompierre. Seemed like a very nice place. What did the trip set you back in round numbers? How long were you there? Did you feel it was an efficient use of your hunting dollars? What happened to the birds you got?

ralphtt
October 26, 2003, 08:27 PM
9441 doves in 2.5 days is 3776 doves per day for six hunters.

Comes out 629 doves per day per hunter. ;)

If you average seventy per cent . . . had to shoot about 900 shells each day. In an eight hour day, this amounts to one shot each 112 seconds.

Geeze, that's a lot of shooting; and sounds like a lot of fun, but kinda' hard on the shoulder. :uhoh:

:D :D

I'd like to try it sometime. :cool:

Steve Smith
October 27, 2003, 01:59 PM
How much do you tip your workers?

Selfdfenz
October 27, 2003, 05:59 PM
By G--, I sure wish they would consider being the 51st state!!!!!!
We could fix that exchange rate right up for 'em.....
Also, and this is not a PC thing to say and I apologize, but many of the ladies there are not hard on the eye if what I have seen on TV is accuate.

What on earth do you do with 9000 doves? It boggles the mind.
Holy smokes!

S-

Lennyjoe
October 27, 2003, 06:52 PM
I saw a show on Shotgun Journal today about hunting in Argentina.

I seen the same show.

Made my dove hunting trips out here in Arizona look like a waste of time.

We do have a good spot where they come in to roost but nothing like down in Argentina. WOW

Smoke
October 30, 2003, 08:58 AM
I've been hunting in Monahans, TX for a number of years. Best hunting I've ever encountered.

Then I went to Argentina with my Brother .... the numbers xtarheel speaks of are "normal". I did my best to burn out a shotgun.

You do lots of shooting and its a great opportunity to work on specific shots you may want to fine tune. The birds fly by the thousands so you can pick only the shots you want.

It's interesting to say the least. They have american hunters pay good money to come shoot their pests.

It would be like an Argentine going to NY to shoot rats.

Grayrock
July 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
I know this is an old thread- but why start a new one when some of the previous posts have good info in them? When I use the "search" feature some folks get perturbed when an old thread pops up- anyway...

I have one of my best friends pestering me to make a trip to Argentina to hunt dove with him. Is it THAT much better than what you can do in Mexico (almost a day trip for me, here in Texas)? He said I should budget $5-7K for a trip like this. I guess if he were a REALLY good friend he'd pick up the tab- but not likely. He is in Argentina right now and I am sure he is going to taunt me with lots of pics if he has internet access there. Is it an efficient use of one's hunting dollars? What is the exchange rate now?

Paul24
July 20, 2011, 08:31 PM
GO, it is not cheep but GO. I went in April and Febuary. 2 half days and 2 full days, 141 boxes of 25. There is no where in US you can do that. $12.50 per box. First trip I shot my 12 gauge O/U it beat me bad. If you want to shoot an auto it best be Italian inertia operated. 20 or 28 guage O/U is the best way to go. Rented guns second trip not a good idea, I realy like my own gun it is fitted.

oneounceload
July 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
One of my friends arranges hunts and shoots all over the world, including Argentina - right now, he says to budget $1K per day not including airfare or extra shells. His locations include 1500-2500 shells per shoot for thee days and all meals, transfers, tips, etc.

Rent their guns -costs about 60/per day; bringing your own costs about 100 per trip per gun - less hassle with TSA, etc.

When you consider there is no limit, a Georgia quail hunt costs about the same for 12 quail per day

Paul24
July 20, 2011, 08:33 PM
exchang rate is not relivant, all pricing is in US Dollars.

Paul24
July 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
I have never had a problem with TSA and flying with guns. Study the rules and follow them. Flown with hand guns, rifles, shot guns never even had TSA peep.

If you enjoyed reading about "Argentina dove hunt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!