IPSC reloader needs some titegroup advice

PDA

Babalouie
March 25, 2005, 05:08 PM
I'm listing this here because I need some info from some fellow IPSC shooters. My son and I are shooting Para P-16s 40S&W. I'm currently loading 4.3 grains of Titegroup but I'm not sure it makes major. What do you load? I'm also not sure how case overall length effects how the round chambers and my son has had a fair number of ftf jams. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "IPSC reloader needs some titegroup advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeeper
March 25, 2005, 05:16 PM
Here is a ton of load date that you can use

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

CCW1911
March 27, 2005, 01:51 AM
Good info on the mass site. The 40 is very touchy about OAL, the pressure will go up on any given load as you shorten it, and down as you lengthen. You didn't specify bullet weight but if it's 180 4.3 might be close if you are using a shorter OAL like with factory ammo. Tightgroup is a good powder but you will need to chrono your gun and load to get the powerfactor. OAL has a big effect on feeding, make up some dummy rounds at different OAL's and see which ones hand feed thru your gun the smoothest, .030 can make a difference, don't go shorter than factory rounds. Then work up a load with that OAL starting well under the charge weight shown in the chart. OAL's posted in the charts are only good for the specified bullets, the profile of the bullet will determine which OAL feeds best in your gun. Para's usually don't need the longer OAL's that the STI's like. Sounds complicated but it's not and once you get a good load and OAL just stick with it, just remember if you change bullet you may have to start over.

Ross

Joe D
March 27, 2005, 11:16 AM
4.3 is my Glock load. OAL is 1.125-1.130". I had to go up to 4.6 in my .40 Kimber to make Major. OAL was 1.200". 180 gr Rainier HP for both.

waktasz
March 27, 2005, 08:46 PM
I chrono'd some loads today. They were 4.2 grains titegroup with a 180 Zero JHP at 1.126 OAL. They made like 159 or something powerfactor. Sorry I can't be of more help, I just started out reloading and this was my first load attempt.

lycanthrope
March 27, 2005, 11:44 PM
180 gr LEAD RNFP
4.3 gr Titegroup
OAL 1.180
CCI 400 Small rifle primers
165 pf out of STI Edge (5" barrel).

Titegroup isn't as sensitive to seating depth as other powders.

For a jacketed bullet, I'm betting 4.2gr comes up short.

lycanthrope
March 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
Also....

I load 1.155 length for my friend's P16. I've found loading too short in the double stacks can cause misfeads in picky guns due to the rounds shifting in the mag a bit.

BillL223
March 29, 2005, 01:28 PM
For my STI. I load 4.7 Titegroup using Winchester small pistol primers, 180 gr Star jacketed bullets, and 1.20" oal. This will average about 168 pf. This gives me a little leeway in case the match chrono is a little slower then mine etc. I minored once by accident and it cost me 50 match points.

Zak Smith
March 30, 2005, 02:33 PM
Here's the recipe I use for my SV:

180gr Montana Gold JHP
4.9gr Titegroup
1.230" (note the LONG OAL)

Just over Major PF in my gun.

I think you want to load as long as possible in your gun, and then adjust the powder charge until you're just over Major.

-z

Joe D
April 1, 2005, 07:00 AM
Forgot to mention the 4.3 gr load has a 10 shot average of 952 fps out of my G35.

If you enjoyed reading about "IPSC reloader needs some titegroup advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!