Cracked M14 flash hider. Accuracy loss?

PDA

ETCss Phil McCrackin
March 25, 2005, 07:05 PM
I’ve got one for you M1A/M14 gurus… I recently discovered that the flash hider on my match M14 was cracked. How much accuracy loss am I looking at until I get this replaced? 600 yard line loss especially.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cracked M14 flash hider. Accuracy loss?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlindRat
March 25, 2005, 09:36 PM
A cracked Flash Supressor can definitely affect accuracy. I can't quantify it off the top of my head, but I've seen off call shots at 200, 300 AND 600 yards traced to a cracked FS. Typically what I see happening is they will gas cut at the ends of the slots. The gas cutting creates a point in the slot which seems to eventually result in a crack. I'll see if I can post some pics.

It's definitely a "check periodically" item in the long maintainance list for the M14/M1A.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cracked M14 flash hider. Accuracy loss?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!