The p90 rumors are true

PDA

airbornekyle1
March 26, 2005, 02:04 AM
THE rumors are true FNH is manufacturing the P90 in semi-auto. The only down fall about the conversion is that they are making the barrel a couple inches longer. The new product is somewhat ugly. Just think with the A.P rounds people will be able to perforate 48 layers of kevlar.

If you enjoyed reading about "The p90 rumors are true" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
March 26, 2005, 02:11 AM
Or with the FMJ rounds and a 30-06... or a .223.... or a .30-30....

Rifles generally penetrate soft armor, since it was only made to stand up to pistol rounds.

whm1974
March 26, 2005, 07:10 AM
How much are one of these things going to cost? I rather have a 10/22 chambered in .22 mag. At least I could get ammo for it.

-Bill

The Grand Inquisitor
March 26, 2005, 07:27 AM
The P-90 is going to go for around $1,500 and the F2000 will go for around $1,700.

Not too bad of prices, but it seems that it will be at least 6 months to a year before we see any anything on the market.

El Tejon
March 26, 2005, 08:26 AM
If they want to move it, FN has to be more aggressive in product placements in Hollywood. It will never sell unless you manufacture the desire by infecting the public with the "Iwannacoolgun" virus.

If FN is looking for agents, where do I send my resume? :D

grendelbane
March 26, 2005, 09:13 AM
If they want to move it, FN has to be more aggressive in product placements in Hollywood.

Unfortunately, truer words were never spoken. Look at the Desert Eagle.

It is sad that the vast majority of people who will never actually own a firearm have such influence on the purchasing decisions of those who do.

On the other hand, I have the distinct pleasure of hearing, "I never saw one of those before!", every time my Grizzly Mark I is displayed.

Not really fair, because it did have its own movie, but only dedicated Hollywood trivia buffs can name it.

El Tejon
March 26, 2005, 09:19 AM
gren, yes the DE is just one example of many. I always enjoy the fact that everyone will admit that Hollywood affects the gun purchasing decisions of OTHER PEOPLE. :D

No doubt the p90's use in Peru helped within a narrow niche market, but to really make money FN has got to get into the movies.

50 Freak
March 26, 2005, 09:27 AM
Two Words

StarGate SG-1

grendelbane
March 26, 2005, 09:39 AM
I admit that Hollywood affects my purchasing decisions. I saw the Desert Eagle in so many movies, I decided to buy a Grizzly instead. :)

No, I don't CCW it, that is what Government models are for.

Hollywood started affecting firearms thinking from a very early date. In, "A Rifleman Went To War", Herbert W. McBride tells about pistol ideas he saw expressed in the movies that he never saw in real life. This was pre WWI.

Most everything I know about handguns I picked up looking at covers of cheap paper-back books growing up in the 60s. :p

epijunkie67
March 26, 2005, 09:52 AM
Not too bad of prices, but it seems that it will be at least 6 months to a year before we see any anything on the market
Actually the store I bought my FN57 from is expecting to take delivery on their first order in 2 months. And yeah, I'm on the list.

Gewehr98
March 26, 2005, 11:43 AM
I bought it because the guy wanted $400 for it. Perfect for knocking down the 200 meter steel rams, thought I. ;)

48 layers of Kevlar, hmmm? Not that defeating body armor is a proper discussion for an online gun forum, but as Third Rail mentioned, can you imagine what a real rifle, perhaps in .308/7.62mm NATO, could do? :scrutiny:

nordaim
March 26, 2005, 12:06 PM
Two Words

StarGate SG-1

StarGate Atlantis
Battlestar Galactica

Nice to see FN still having an impact in foreign galaxies.

Nazirite
March 26, 2005, 02:28 PM
Who actually uses a P90 besides Hollywood? I don’t believe I have ever seen any military photos with someone holding a P90.

boofus
March 26, 2005, 02:32 PM
The US Secret Service uses them.

Marko Kloos
March 26, 2005, 03:41 PM
Not really fair, because it did have its own movie, but only dedicated Hollywood trivia buffs can name it.

Shakedown, 1988...Peter Weller and Sam Elliott. Released as Blue Jean Cop in some countries.

grendelbane
March 26, 2005, 04:14 PM
OK! You win! Your prize is bragging rights!

Now that I am totally guilty of thread drift, (not as heinous a crime as thread hijacking!), I will comment on the P90. I am not sure I will ever get one, as they have such limited actual use, and I have plenty of toys already. Still, it is as excellent a candidate for SBR as I have seen in a long time.

Sam Elliot had some great one-liners in that otherwise quite forgettable movie, didn't he?

PMDW
March 26, 2005, 05:07 PM
$30 says the semi-auto P90 is banned within 3 years. That, or FN stops making them.

TexasRifleman
March 26, 2005, 05:14 PM
Probably won't ban it, but the .gov will pressure THEM into ceasing sales of magazines holding more than 5 or 10. Then you'll have a $1500 Mini-14 with no mags available.

PMDW
March 26, 2005, 05:21 PM
Probably won't ban it, but the .gov will pressure HK into ceasing sales of magazines holding more than 5 or 10. Then you'll have a $1500 Mini-14 with no mags available.

It's a good thing HK doesn't make mags for the FN P90. :)

I still say it gets banned like the Five-seveN is going to, though.

TexasRifleman
March 26, 2005, 05:25 PM
Mind said FN, fingers went HK :evil:

Fixed now....

viking87
March 27, 2005, 12:50 AM
As to who uses the P90, I'm pretty sure that's what I saw in the hands of some French troops at Charles DeGaule Airport in Paris. Wasn't very close though, so I could have been mistaken.

dc2wheel
March 27, 2005, 04:01 AM
US Capitol Police use them also - I have a great picture of an officer comparing weight of one with a carbon fiber bicycle at a lobbying event last week. The P90 weighed less, but not by much - oh technology.
-dc2wheel

Gifted
March 27, 2005, 05:04 AM
I've heard from a store in my hometown that the local police were interested in buying them, for shooting up engine blocks and such.

PMDW
March 27, 2005, 12:11 PM
I'd like to see a 5.7 round go through an engine block.

I'd be very amazed.

LiquidTension
March 27, 2005, 06:36 PM
I'd love to make an SBR out of the P90.

I'm less concerned with the price of the weapon than I am with the price of ammo. That stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Gifted
March 28, 2005, 12:22 AM
The point wasn't to go through, it was that not much will stop them. I wonder if anyone has tested the performance against vehicle armor, kevlar plates, bulletproof glass and the like.

Forseti
March 28, 2005, 12:27 AM
Has anyone actually shot one? I'm going to guess that the percieved recoil is low.

Very much a "movie" gun though...its futuristic shape does seem to make it appear in a lot of sci-fi. Plus it seems cool sci-fi gadgets can be hung off the thing.

(Stargate command should switch to the G-36 PDW variant...I'd much rather have a full sized .223 than a not-quite-a-rifle-not-quite-a-pistol round...)

Domino
March 28, 2005, 12:52 AM
Has anyone actually shot one? I'm going to guess that the percieved recoil is low.
It is said that the recoil in the Five seveN is about 40% less than that of a 9mm. So, my guess it that the recoil will be just about non-existant in a semi-auto rifle. Actually, it's probably just about like a .22 WMR bolt rifle as the ballistics are pretty close.

JShirley
March 28, 2005, 01:18 AM
P90 was in X vs Sever...

Phyphor
March 28, 2005, 02:26 AM
.... I seem to remember her whining about being scared to fire 'live ammo' through the P-90....

Onslaught
March 28, 2005, 04:04 PM
My local FFL dealer tells me that FN is discontinuing civilian sales of the "SS192" 28gr ammo and releasing a 40gr 1600fps version for the sheeple that won't penetrate body armour.

I still can't help but wonder how much better either round would be than my 13 rounds of 230gr Golden Sabres coming from my USP45 at your average B&E scumbags.

mons meg
March 28, 2005, 07:32 PM
To say the Five-seveN has less recoil than a 9mm is an understatement. My perception was more like a really hot .22 would be. It is LOUD, however...put your foamies in under your headphones. :)

epijunkie67
March 28, 2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I've likened recoil in my FN 57 to a .32 ACP being fired from a full sized 1911. I can only imagine what it's going to be like from the P90.

jthuang
March 29, 2005, 02:25 PM
(Stargate command should switch to the G-36 PDW variant...I'd much rather have a full sized .223 than a not-quite-a-rifle-not-quite-a-pistol round...)

I have wondered why more modern sci-fi shows don't use the G36. I don't watch SG1 but the P90 is featured in the new BattleStar Galactica (as previously mentioned by another poster).

If anything, the G36 got some screen time with Joss Whedon's short-lived (but excellent) show Firefly. Hopefully the G36 will also be used in the Serenity movie.

grendelbane
March 29, 2005, 05:34 PM
What firearms didn't get screen time in Firefly?

another48hrs
March 29, 2005, 08:20 PM
I think alot of scifi shows like having bullpups, because they seem futurastic, kind of like flying cars. Or they may be fans of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell or Appleseed manga.

If anything, the G36 got some screen time...

For more G36 action you might want to check out Alien Vs Predator, and Shaun of the Dead.

mr.trooper
March 29, 2005, 11:07 PM
Id buy one in an instant!.....If i had the money....and if the 50 round mags were avalible...and if the REAL ammo was avalible for a decent price...

But thats basicly like asking H&K to make a semi-auto MP5-10, or a semi-auto UMP .45, or a REAL G-36 (not a look-alike converted from an old SL8...)

Not in this life time. Id sell my car in an instant if a semi-auto P-90 was practical...but alas, it is not to be.

If you enjoyed reading about "The p90 rumors are true" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!