AK in 223, worth it?

PDA

whm1974
March 26, 2005, 10:21 AM
I would like to have an AK, but are the ones in 223 any good? Or should I get one in 7.62x39?

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "AK in 223, worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WillBrayJr
March 26, 2005, 10:36 AM
Just get one in 7.62X39mm. Vector Arms AKs are very good for the money. Remember AK-47s are supposed to be cheap. I don't recommend the Romanian AKs though! Vector Arms AKs run between $450.00 to $550.00 :)

Ohen Cepel
March 26, 2005, 10:38 AM
Always seems like the 7.62 ammo is cheaper as are the mags.

Getting an AK in .223 makes mags harder to find and more expensive. Also, ammo seems to be more.

I'll stick to the 7.62 for an AK.

12 Volt Man
March 26, 2005, 10:56 AM
I like mine. I have a SAR 3. I blast Wolf .223 ammo through it. Very cheap.

If you don't have one in 7.62 x 39, then get that first.

whm1974
March 26, 2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys. What I really want is an AR-15, but I can't afford one. However I wouldn't mind having an AK.

-Bill

GreenFurniture
March 26, 2005, 12:07 PM
You could get a good, used AR for about the price of an AK in .223.

CentralTexas
March 26, 2005, 01:13 PM
in 5.45, that's the ticket! That seems to be the most accurate and perfect caliber for the AK I've shot yet. Ammo runs about the same and several folks like Wolf make it.

wally
March 26, 2005, 04:52 PM
I don't recommend them unless they come with all the mags you'd want. Good mags are hard to find. While 5.45x39 mags may work in some guns, I've posted a thread showing photos to explain why they usually don't.

I've a Polytech AK .223 and Romanian SAR3. The SAR3 needed work to feed reliably the bolt was very loose in the carrier allowing it to ride up and fail to catch the rim of the next round in the mag when fired -- hand cycled it always fed, but was unreliable in actual shooting. Fix was rather difficult.

As to ammo 7.62x39 can be had for $80 a case of 1000 all day, Cheapest .223 is same price as 5.45x39 about $105 per case. While 5.45x39 may be a great round, until it gets chambered in some other guns and made by domestic ammo companies you run the risk of ammo drying up if imports of it are banned via exectuive fiat as happened with Norinco ammo.

--wally.

another48hrs
March 26, 2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys. What I really want is an AR-15, but I can't afford one. However I wouldn't mind having an AK.

Bill I think you answered your own question. I think right now you could probably build an ar15 cheaper and more convenient than buying an AK in 223. Most parts and accessories for the ar15 are built in the US and so many companies sell the parts that the prices are competative. Right now most ak rifles, parts, and accessories are at the mercy of the countries of origin, customs, and importers. But if you are still interested in an AK in 223 I compiled a list of some rifles for you.

(This list does not contain preban or custom rifles).

SAR3- These have gone up in price ever since CAI has stopped importing them. You might find a deal online for a used one, but most CAI guns I've seen its best to inspect in person before making a purchase. They use there own mags and are about $15 each. 1x8 twist.

Saiga 223- These too are going up in price, ever since EAA said they are no longer importing this rifle. This may change once Spartan Arms starts importing them. They only have a 10 round capacity, but most people change these into American rifles and use 5.45 mags converted with Robarm 5.56 follower. 1x9 twist.

Vepr 223- These rifles are built on RPK receivers and are already set up for normal capacity mags, and pistol grip by Robarm. They are around $579 and use Robarm 5.45 converted mags. 1x9 twist.

SAM5 - These are AK rifles made here in the US on Bulgarian tooling. Basically Arsenal-BG set up shop here and called it Arsenal INC. These are milled receiver rifles that cost more than stamped rifles. They average around $700 each. They use Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags. These mags are some what hard to find right now and cost about $25-$35 each. 1x7 twist.

Onmilo
March 26, 2005, 06:12 PM
Bulgarian, and Arsenal USA made Bulgarian guns are excellent though spare magazines are hard to find.

The recently discontinued .223 Saigas were another excellent AK varient though only 10 round magazines are available for these.

If the Negotiations are sealed and these Saiga guns come back into the country the Russians should have functional High capacity magazines available.

whm1974
March 27, 2005, 06:47 AM
Well the gunshop were I brought my .22 at had olimpic arms AR-15s for $750. Quite a bit more then I want to spend right now.

However I wouldn't mind having an AK anyway. The SU-16 also looks nice as well.

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "AK in 223, worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!