Why all the Lorcin Hate?

PDA

lyricsdad
March 26, 2005, 04:15 PM
LOL I just had to post it.

I had a friend who had an UGLY lorcin 380, who he thought was the cats meow. I remember thinking it was sick, and just nasty. Hey it seemed to work when he shot it though lol.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why all the Lorcin Hate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
March 26, 2005, 05:06 PM
Bought one for $50. Sold it for $50. Never fired it -didn't dare....

Newton
March 26, 2005, 06:17 PM
I hear that they are similar to handguns.

armoredman
March 26, 2005, 06:28 PM
Remarkable likeness, almost the real thing... :barf:

larry starling
March 27, 2005, 10:24 AM
My brother had a lorcin!He took it apart and couldn't get it back together.So I started helping him and the firing pin sprung from the gun and stuck in the wall!Now said gun is still in pieces in his tool box!Think he use's it as a hammer or somthing. :banghead:

armoredman
March 27, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hold it for a "gunbuyback"...... :cool:

paul45
March 27, 2005, 11:07 AM
I found one in the street near my work by 2 busy interstates (77 & 85). It must have been dropped by the numerous, horrific crack whores and thugs who live nearby in flop hotels. I noted the quality workmanship, then gave it to a cop I know.

Krag
March 27, 2005, 11:13 AM
Because they deserve it!!! :cuss:

TexasRifleman
March 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
Isn't Lorcin a medicine for some kind of VD?

gbelleh
March 27, 2005, 12:09 PM
What's not to love?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23075&stc=1

lyricsdad
March 27, 2005, 12:30 PM
Its nuts, why is this company still producing handguns? where are they from? it seems like shady people like a backdoor thug gundealer would be the person selling them to little kids and crackheads for protection. also on gunbroker they seem to sell for like 50 to 100 bucks. plastic nasty pink handles, and the metal looks sickly. anyone have a history behind them?

Cortland
March 27, 2005, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah, they're just great. I know a fellow who likes them so much he has three (that's one to shoot, two for parts).

:barf:

greyeyezz
March 27, 2005, 01:02 PM
Can you spell POS? :p

outofbattery
March 27, 2005, 02:02 PM
anyone have a history behind them?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/ring/

I once saw a dozen .25's with identical serial numbers , make of that what you wish .

On a functional level , how much can you expect from pistols that cost $20 a piece to manufacture ? You don't expect a $5 Chinese watch to work like a Tag Heuer do you ? My opinion of them is that much like the producers of cheap malt liquor , the manufacturer knows they have a product to fit a market niche and go for it - the social aspects and damages of where and how the products are sold and how they are used isn't their concern . The " poor people need guns too " line is valid but the reality is that they need guns to protect them from people mostly armed with these things , sort of a vicious cycle . Where you can get a Makarov , Star , CZ52 or even a Nagant revolver etc. for little to no more money , buying one is a foolish proposition IMO , however ,if criminals just have to be armed I'd rather them have a Bryco/Lorcin/Davis . :scrutiny:

PCRCCW
March 27, 2005, 03:46 PM
Its the only gun Ive had fall apart in my hands, NIB having never been fired.
That was enough for me..............
Hell, at least my Accutek waited until I shot it to blow apart :neener:
Shoot well.........

lwsimon
March 27, 2005, 04:00 PM
I toyed with the idea of getting a Jennings or Lorcin handgun, then realized what a stupid idea it was once I picked one up. I got a CZ52 instead, same price, and it actually fires when you pull the trigger.

Flying V
March 27, 2005, 04:17 PM
In the unlikely event that I ever come into possesion of a Lorcin, I'll tape it up at the 25 yard line and use it as a target for a real pistol.

RyanM
March 27, 2005, 04:22 PM
The " poor people need guns too " line is valid but the reality is that they need guns to protect them from people mostly armed with these things , sort of a vicious cycle .

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/guic.htm

What caliber guns do criminals prefer?

In their 1983 study, Wright, Rossi, and Daly asked a sample of felons about the handgun they had most recently acquired. Of the felons sampled--
* 29% had acquired a .38 caliber handgun
* 20% had acquired a .357 caliber handgun
* 16% had acquired a .22 caliber handgun.

Sheley and Wright found that the juveniles inmates in their 1991 sample in four States preferred large caliber, high quality handguns. Just prior to their confinement--
* 58% owned a revolver, usually a .38 or .357 caliber gun
* 55% owned a semiautomatic handgun, usually a 9 millimeter or .45 caliber gun
* 51% owned a sawed-off shotgun
* 35% owned a military-style automatic or semiautomatic rifle.

Do juvenile offenders use different types of guns than adult offenders?

A study of adult and juvenile offenders by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services found that juvenile offenders were more likely than adults to have carried a semiautomatic pistol at the crime scene (18% versus 7%).

They also were more likely to have carried a revolver (10% versus 7%). The same proportion of adults and juveniles (3%) carried a shotgun or rifle at the crime scene.

Some studies of guns used in homicides provide information about caliber

McGonigal and colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center studied firearm homicides that occurred in Philadelphia, 145 in 1985 and the 324 in 1990. Most of the firearms used in the homicides studied were handguns; 90% in 1985 and 95% in 1990. In both years, revolvers were the predominant type of handgun used, however, the use of semiautomatic pistols increased from 24% in 1985 to 38% in 1990. The caliber of the handguns used also changed:

In Philadelphia, handguns most often used:

In 1985, of 91 homicides
44% .38 caliber revolver
19% .25 caliber pistol
14% .22 caliber revolver
14% .32 caliber revolver
3% 9 mm pistol
2% .357 caliber revolver

In 1990, of 204 homicides
23% 9 mm pistol
18% .38 caliber revolver
16% .357 caliber revolver
16% .22 caliber revolver
10% .32 caliber revolver

The Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services studied 844 homicides that occurred in 18 jurisdictions from 1989 through 1991. Firearms were identified as the murder weapon in 600 cases. Over 70% of the firearms used were handguns. Of those handguns where the caliber and firing action could be identified, 19% were a .38 caliber revolver, 10% were .22 caliber revolvers, and 9% were 9 millimeter semiautomatic pistols.

The Hawaii Department of the Attorney General, Crime Prevention Division, studied 59 firearms-related homicides in Honolulu from 1988 to 1992. Handguns were used in 48 homicides (over 80%) including 11 handguns of 9 millimeter caliber, 10 of .357 caliber, 10 of .38 caliber, and 5 of .25 caliber.

denfoote
March 27, 2005, 06:03 PM
I have always thought of the Lorcin as a "plant" weapon for corrupt cops!!
Maybe I have been watching to many cop shows on TV, however!!! ;)

gbelleh,
I dunno??
Is it the house of Johann Mattes?? :D

albanian
March 28, 2005, 01:23 AM
I have owned a few Jennings and Ravens but no Lorcins or Bryco. They are all the same anyway. I am just glad that I never got hurt while shooting these pure junk guns. So amny things could have gone wrong that didn't so I am thankful of that. I won't own one now because I feel they are dangerous and not worth having. I won't hang around anyone that is shooting one of these for fear of being hit by stay fragments if it blows up.

I have heard that Jennings, Bryco, Locin and others are the same company under different names. They would be sued and declare chapter 11 and later open up under a new name selling the same old crap.

Jamie C.
March 28, 2005, 01:37 AM
Don't know about Lorcins, but owned a Jennings once, for a couple of months...
Couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn if I were locked up in it, with that "pistol".... unless maybe I threw it.

One way or the other, I'll pass on owning anymore zinc guns, thank you very much...

J.C.

P.S. I'm an ex-cop.... and I wouldn't even bother "planting" that kind of crap.
Who'd ever believe it was a real threat?

armoredman
March 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Lorcin will be back - the old manager bought the plant and all the designs, (such as they are), after the last bankruptcy....more fishing weights, anyone?

molonlabe
March 28, 2005, 10:25 AM
Ever wonder why all these POS's are made in **********?

Dionysusigma
March 28, 2005, 07:06 PM
Something I've always wondered...

What exactly makes these so *&@#$ awful? Is it the general design, the quality of metal, the accuracy, the sights, the lack of customizability ( :neener: ), their ugly appearance?

quantico
March 28, 2005, 07:23 PM
I have never owned a jennings / lorcin / davis / sterling and never will. These guns are hated because they are made from very poor quality metal... and have very poor design and parts... and tend to fail to fire at an amazingly high rate. They typically are seen in the inner city and often sold three four even five times before they land in the evidence bin. They are typically available in inner city bars for 25- 50 dollars. The average time between being built and being used in a crime is the shortest of any class of guns...

I have no use for a gun that is not built well. Ruger , makarov, beretta , taurus or older traded in s&w wheelguns all make better options than these cheap awful guns.

achey
March 28, 2005, 10:31 PM
I had bought one in 25acp. It was real cheap and I thought what a deal. :what: Boy, was I wrong. I didn't even get one mag through it and the thing blew up in my hands. :cuss: I had both grip sides, the mag, and various other parts craddled in my hands. Oh and some powder in my face. :fire: This is no bull. Don't buy one and don't let your friends buy either.

Achey

albanian
March 28, 2005, 10:39 PM
"Something I've always wondered...

What exactly makes these so *&@#$ awful? Is it the general design, the quality of metal, the accuracy, the sights, the lack of customizability ( ), their ugly appearance?"

Yes! But you forgot: unreliable, dangerous, poor fit and finish, and their ability to break. When someone says they are going to "break in their Jennings", watch out. :)

drf
March 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
Back way back when I wasnt making much money at the time but wanted a small handgun. I foolishly picked a Bryco .380 NIB for $109....
After 10 rds threw the gun it came apart in my hands, I put the gun back together and it seemed fine but I would have never trusted shooting that gun again!

I took the gun apart broke off the trigger and threw away the firing pin so now it can never be shot ...
I still have the POS and if it wasnt in my name I would throw it in the garbage were it belongs..
These cheaps guns AKA Saturday Night specials should NOT be manufactured for consumer use.
They serve no good purpose for a citizen to protect himself for self defense.....drf

albanian
March 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
Some people think I am crazy but I consider Kel-Tec to be the closest thing to the Jennings, Bryco, Locin junk now made. The only thing that separates Kel-Tec from those other junk guns is the price. Kel-Tecs cost three times as much as the Bryco but gives just about the same results, broken guns! :barf:

I had a P-32 that I can not say was a better gun in ANY way than my two Jennings J-22s I bought for $50 each! I paid close to $300 for the P-32 with extras and it never was reliable after several trips to KT and it finally just broke one day! The trigger axis just snapped in half for no apparent reason. If this was the only flaw or problem, I could say that any gun can have a bad part but nothing on the gun worked or seemed right. From what I hear, about 50% of the Kel-Tecs are lemons so I am not alone. Some people get good ones and they love them. I can understand that because I would have lover mine if it had worked! It was so easy to carry and it was truely a gun you could have on you at all times.

BluesBear
March 29, 2005, 08:56 PM
A study of adult and juvenile offenders by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services found that juvenile offenders were more likely than adults to have carried a semiautomatic pistol at the crime scene (18% versus 7%).

They also were more likely to have carried a revolver (10% versus 7%). The same proportion of adults and juveniles (3%) carried a shotgun or rifle at the crime scene.

Why not just come right out and say that juvenile offenders were more likely to carry a hangun. But more likely to carry a semi-automatic 18% vs 10%.

While adults were split 50-50 revolver vs semi-automatic.

Also looks like 28% of the juveniles carry guns opposed to only 14% of the adults. Hmm twice as many.
I wonder if that has anything to do with more severe sentencing of adults?

I say that any juvi commiting a crime while carrying a deadly weapon should be tried as an adult.

RyanM
March 29, 2005, 09:29 PM
Hey, I didn't write it, I just copy-pasted from the source.

And it's actually 31% for juvies vs. 17% for adults, you forgot to add in long guns.

Mortech
March 31, 2005, 12:02 AM
Owned a Jennings once , you could actually SEE the metal deform after several shots ! I eventually gave it to someone I didn't like at all . I believed I paid $40 for mine used and the reason I bought it was because I was just curious about it :banghead:

Johnny Guest
April 5, 2005, 01:44 PM
Thread closed.
Please see floated thread at top of Handguns: Autoloaders forum, at - -
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=133354

Best,
Johnny Guest
THR Moderator,
Handguns: Autoloaders Forum

If you enjoyed reading about "Why all the Lorcin Hate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!