Does it cost more to ship ammo via UPS than it does other stuff?

PDA

EVIL5LITER
March 26, 2005, 07:08 PM
I was just checking shipping prices on 1,000 rounds of .40S&W ammo from www.OutdoorMarksman.com...... $36.23! Holy ????, and that's for ground shipping! I can ship a package that weighs 20lbs from here to Alaska for like, $15 dollars.

I know how they make their money.... geebus!

If you enjoyed reading about "Does it cost more to ship ammo via UPS than it does other stuff?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abby
March 26, 2005, 07:15 PM
It's not that bad in small amounts - just sent 20 rounds of centerfire ammo from FL to NC - cost me...$7.30 to move the package and .13 fuel "surcharge."

It was a two-pound package - I don't think that's a whole lot more than I'd have paid to UPS two pounds of something else.

Car Knocker
March 26, 2005, 07:58 PM
Well, one thousand 200-gr bullets weigh 28.5 pounds. I imagine the brass would weigh another 10 pounds. Add the powder and packaging and you're probably close to 45 pounds.

WhoKnowsWho
March 26, 2005, 08:21 PM
23.29 from Midway USA to me, which I why I try to buy at the gun show when Miwall Ammo comes. Or I reload, which still requires ordering bullets. Sigh.

Best place to order from and not feel like you are over paying for shipping, http://www.newgraham.com/ for knives and such. I have ordered multiple times, paid 5.99 for shipping, and get packages with a stamp for $10+ being paid to ship it! And it gets to me fast!

George S.
March 26, 2005, 08:33 PM
O-M is good about charging only the actual shipping costs based on the weight of the package. The problem is that UPS and probably FedEx have "zones" that can quickly raise the cost of shipping. The idea is that any address within a "zone" has the same delivery cost. Go to the next zone and the price of shipping can go up drmatically. I think that UPS has 7 or 8 "zones" that split the country much like the time zones do.

I only live about 170 miles north of the O-M warehouse and I typically pay about $8 to $10 for 1K lots of ammo depending on the caliber (which determines the shipping weight). I'm in the same zone as O-M so I pay the lowest freight costs for the weight of the shipment.

Bobarino
March 26, 2005, 08:38 PM
ammo doesn't cost any more that anything else to ship aside from the adult signature required charge. the same thing as shipping beer or wine. the UPS prices are based on the weight of the package, and the zip code its coming from and going to and in some cases the size of the box is a factor also. for instance, it might only cost $14.00 to ship X pounds from Washignton to Oregon but the same package will cost $30.00 to ship from Washington to Florida. now consider the following. for your $36.23, you get:

a courier to come get the 40# package from the shipper,
a free $100 worth of insurance, (about 50 cents per hundered after that)
free tracking so you know where you package is at all times and a guranteed deliver date,
a loader that makes sure it get on the right truck,
a truck and driver to drive it all the way from there to you,
another loader to put it on another truck headed to your house,
a personal courier that takes your package directly to your house and puts it in your hand. ( if you're home)
don't forget all the fuel this takes at today's fuel prices.

with prices of gas the way they are, i doubt you would be able to get out of your state with $36.23 worth of gas, not to mention the time and labor.

if you really think about what you get for your $36.23, you'll find its very cheap and you are getting more than your money's worth.

UPS does however charge $2-$6 more for a residential deliver as opposed to delivering to a commercial location and some of the more rural areas are also slapped with a "delivery area surcharge" and the fuel surcharge is now up to 1.75% for ground and 9.5% for air. ammo must also be sent with an adult signature required which is another $3 or $4.

and just for the record, depending on where you live, shipping 20# to AK will cost a minimun of $21.15 through USPS, and that does not include tracking or insurance. most of AK for 20# will cost you $36.40 before tracking and insurance and its STILL the cheapest postage in the world! and UPS is often far cheaper than USPS. especially when your package weighs over 10-15 pounds, depending on distance it needs to travel.

Bobby

Standing Wolf
March 26, 2005, 10:09 PM
...a personal courier that takes your package directly to your house and puts it in your hand.

Assuming, of course, the driver is a.) able to read the address, and b.) willing to deliver it there.

Cawdor
March 27, 2005, 09:56 AM
UPS - Calculate Time and Cost (http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US)

If you enjoyed reading about "Does it cost more to ship ammo via UPS than it does other stuff?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!