Anyone too busy/broke for guns?

PDA

Monkeyleg
March 27, 2005, 01:08 AM
Sounds like heresy, I know. Let me 'splain.

I just don't have the time to shoot. It started during the fight for concealed carry here in WI, then continued after I started a new business venture. Now I've added to the time drain by taking on a freelance job to keep the dollars coming in until the new business is bringing in a respectable amount of revenue. And I'm getting pressure from other state gun groups to spend time again on concealed carry.

So, no time to shoot. Unless I don't visit my 87 year-old parents or spend any time with my wife, or do my share of household chores.

Also, cash is obviously tight, so no new guns other than those I can get in exchange for services rendered.

Reading the posts on THR, it sounds like just about everybody is going to the range every day and buying a new gun every week. An exaggeration, yes, but it feels that way sometimes.

Is anyone else stuck in this position?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone too busy/broke for guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
March 27, 2005, 01:15 AM
Ammo is a major expense. A new gun is out of the question.

But I worked out a barter deal with some friends to pay for range time, and figured out that if I write magazine reviews I can shoot lotsa guns without buying one, so all in all I'm doing okay on the gun front.

I just wish I could work out some kinda deal for ammo. Ammo's killing me.

pax

Clean97GTI
March 27, 2005, 01:17 AM
new mortgage payment and new flooring for new house.

I spent the last of gambling winnings on the floor, so no guns for quite a while. I could afford to if I wasnt making extra payments on the mortgage, but paying the house off early is really important to me.

Sucks too as the GF likes to shoot as much as I do.

ZeroX
March 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
The latter. :(

AZTOY
March 27, 2005, 01:39 AM
I 'm stuck in South Korea......................

I would love to buy a new gun or some ammo. :(

The only major expense i have is beer. :neener:

QuarterBoreGunner
March 27, 2005, 01:53 AM
Oh man...ammo all the way. I'm about through with the last brick of Wolf Gold Medal Match I picked up from Sinclair Precision; AND almost through the last case of XM193 for the ARs... I REALLY need to:

become independently wealthy
set up my reloading gear
come up with a plan 'C'

Jay Kominek
March 27, 2005, 02:54 AM
Reading the posts on THR, it sounds like just about everybody is going to the range every day and buying a new gun every week. An exaggeration, yes, but it feels that way sometimes. Considering how many members there are on here, I expect that on any given day, a few of them have indeed bought a gun or gone to the range.
I find the drive to the range very tiresome, and have a hard time bringing myself to make it. So I don't actually get out to play with my toys as much as I'd like. :(

chris in va
March 27, 2005, 03:02 AM
I've cooled off my shooting some lately. For a while there I was going to the range more than once a week, unloading 400 rounds of 9mm at a time. Skeet range, same thing.

Now that I'm selling my house to move elsewhere, it has really taken up my time and $$$. Even my 'paranoia' about CCW has gone down considerably, now that I realize this P11 is simply a tool for protection and I don't need to be constantly on the lookout for BG's on the prowl.

Life goes on.

jlwatts3
March 27, 2005, 03:12 AM
+1 for broke. :(

fjolnirsson
March 27, 2005, 03:19 AM
+1 for broke.
Me, too.
In fact, if I disappear for a while, it's because my net access has been cancelled.
But, I'm working on turning things around, so we'll see.
:)

Guy B. Meredith
March 27, 2005, 03:33 AM
Buying a house and worrying about layoffs put a screeching halt to my time, loose change and shooting almost two years ago. This month and last I went to the range about four times total which is more than I have in the above mentioned period of almost two years.

I have reloaded for all except the first couple of years I have been shooting. Can't afford $15 per box when I can reload for less than $4. Considering how much I earn per hour you might say that two hours spent on 500 or 600 rounds makes it a bit more expensive, I guess. Of course going through 1000 to 1200 rounds a month when I was competing burned up some chances to buy guns.

I have purchased two guns since I really became a 'serious' shooter, the others were won in a raffle and a match. I would like to get a few others, but that is going to take some long term planning.

On the other hand, I have spent a few hundred on range fees, competition fees, transportation to and housing at matches and such.

UnintendedConsequences
March 27, 2005, 03:49 AM
I am tight on cash doing part-time substitute teaching and being a part-time newspaper reporter for a local weekly paper along with being a starting out gunsmith in my rural market. I have enough land that I can set up a 100 yard shooting range in the timber once I clear the shooting lane again after cleaning up all the winter deadfalls that are between me and the 100 yard spot.

As for guns, I pick up old beaters to experiment upon right now that I can have some fun tweaking and trying new things before I do them on a paying customer's guns. Doesn't have to be pricey to be fun.

Missourigunner
March 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
Being on a fixed Income has put the skids to new gun purchases for me. Ammo for the firearms that I do have is usually gotten from cheaperthandirt.com. I have managed to put aside a few bucks each month to purchase the next firearm that I want. It is a used one, but in nice condition, a Ruger Mark II at my local gun dealer. :)

Preacherman
March 27, 2005, 08:06 AM
Following a work-related injury last year, I've been off the job for fourteen months so far. I've had to sell guns to raise money for my own expenses, plus help my mom, who's comatose in a nursing home, and doesn't have long to live. I'm not allowed to shoot, on doctor's orders, until my spine is healed to the point that he thinks it will stand up to the centerfire recoil transmission involved in shooting. So, all in all, I more than understand your frustration!

However, there are the good things to think about... we can still own guns, shoot them, carry them (in most states), etc. These are things to be thankful for. There will come a day when I hit the range again - with lots of ammo and lost time to make up for! :D

BryanP
March 27, 2005, 08:08 AM
Finances are a bit tight right now. I haven't been to the range for quite a while.

My wife hasn't worked for a while now due to medical problems. That may change soon. What extra cash I have right now is going to help my parents who are also in a bit of a bind due to medical problems. At least my dad's Air Force retirement pays his mortgage. To add insult to injury I just did my taxes and I screwed up my W4 when I changed jobs last year. Instead of a small refund (my goal) I just had to write a check for $1250. And of course I just adjusted my W4 so my take home will be about $100 less per month now.

That said, Ammo I can afford as long as I don't go nuts. I have 3 .22lr's (revolver, semi-auto pistol, semi-auto rifle) so that's not such an issue. And heck, the AK isn't that expensive to feed. .38spl for the revolvers & the Marlin 1894C isn't too bad either. .223 and .308 are a bit pricier, but I can leave those in the closet for now.

It just seems that every time I say "Y'know, today would be a good day to go to the range" I find myself responding "Yeah, but you really need to do x first."

uvakat
March 27, 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm broke as hell right now and really too busy to go shooting regularily. When I first started I was going about once a week shooting off about 200-400 rounds, now if I go once a month it's a good month. Money's tight since I'm graduating in May and haven't found a job yet so I'm saving up enough to pay a couple of months rent incase I need it. Sadly, extra target ammo I have but the nearest public range requires I buy their range--> sometimes driving 2 hours to go shooting might be worth it. School has also taken up a lot of my time... I wish I could buy a gun a month or go shooting everyday, but that doesn't seem like it is in the cards anytime soon.

absolute0
March 27, 2005, 09:58 AM
I spell relief .-2-2-L-R

Dang near as cheap to shoot as a pellet gun and tons of fun!

Dave Markowitz
March 27, 2005, 10:03 AM
I am too busy to get out much to the range. During the week my downtime doesn't start until after 1900, and on the weekends I'm usually with my kids* or fixing something in the house.

*An 8.5 month old baby and a 2 y/o demand a lot of attention, but it's worth it. In a few years I can start teaching them. :)

Bear Gulch
March 27, 2005, 10:06 AM
I don't have thime time. I currently have a 50 hour a week job and am working to open a new program and work into that job. Alos , dare I admit it here, Archery has become my weekly practice. I am also putting every spare penny into guns for my store not my collection.

The Freeholder
March 27, 2005, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry to hear that so many of ya'll are having hard times. I sincerely wish you all the best of luck in working out the problems that you face.

I went through hard times a couple of years ago--had to face losing everything, right down to the house. Lost a few things, but was able to save all that was really important to me. Things are better now, but the new reality is that money will never be as plentiful as it was.

Still, I find money for guns on occasion, and I'll find money for ammo even if I have to do without lunch. (Which, if you saw me, you would say I could do without!)

Those of you concentrating on paying down debt, you're doing the right thing. It would seem that harder times are a-comin', and we'd all better be ready.

Fastlane
March 27, 2005, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hear about the problems we seem to share. I am also going through some cash flow problems and some health problems "minor". I am sure it will get better for us. :)

SpookyPistolero
March 27, 2005, 11:43 AM
I definitely feel your pain on being broke. I am working two jobs during school right now, so time is also definitely scarce. I am not complaining about this, I am blessed to be able to have two jobs and to be able to go to school. I try to figure out ways to earn extra money but those seem to fizzle out quickly.

I am looking forward to the summer where I can work a lot more to save up some money. I will try to get set up for reloading and just use late nights/early mornings for reloading some here and there. Sure doesn't help that my carry pistol is in a high-priced caliber! I end up spending 30 bucks just to have enough to shoot at the IDPA match, which is pretty much my whole 'extra money' fund.

Anyway, I once heard something along the lines of the richest man being he who enjoys the less expensive things the most. So I am glad I like plinking with my Marlin 60 above most things!

Take care-

WhoKnowsWho
March 27, 2005, 12:00 PM
Pre shift change:
Gun every other month if not more. Shooting every two or three weeks. Having a three/four day work schedule and built in overtime was great! Plus car pooling with the roommate.

Post shift change and lay offs:
Needed a car, got a car but that rules out new guns for a while. Ammo is still in quantity in the room, but I am not sure how much I can still spend on it since I am on a five day work week now which has no built in overtime which I have had for the past five years. And the weekends sure do feel short now. Plus very likely more lay offs in the coming weeks or months means extraneous spending is way out of the plan.

But you know what, I already have so many guns I am not too heartbroken. And the reloading helps the ammo problem out a ton. But, post lay off, I hope I can find a job as good as this one paid.

Biker
March 27, 2005, 12:08 PM
I started a new job recently after being unemployed for four months. I even had to sell a couple of guns and that reeeeaaaallly hurt.
Biker

March 27, 2005, 12:08 PM
So, no time to shoot. Unless I don't visit my 87 year-old parents or spend any time with my wife, or do my share of household chores.

Not much you can do except visit your parents and enjoy the time you spend with them.
Taking your wife shooting with you will let you shoot AND spend time with her. :D

azrael
March 27, 2005, 01:00 PM
Mine is budget AND time..

$$$$
As many know, I suffered an arm injury a few months ago...Getting shots for my arm, kinda kills any extra cash, besides I have had to sell many of the guns that I had collected to pay for the DR visit's <~~~GRRRRR!!

Time
Business is doing well, but that also cuts down on the amount of time that I can goto the range...

Luckily I am dating a gal that makes about TWICE what I do :evil:

nordaim
March 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
I am not quite broke, but money is tight. Always is Nov-Mar, due to winter heating bills. With natural gas fluctuating the way it has all through the cooler/cold months, I have had no idea what I would have available. During the summer it can be months without even seeing a bill (the gas company has a $45 minimum before they invoice you), but the winter can be as high as $500/month. Now that things are getting warmer and prices regulating, I will probably buy something new here in a few months. I normally buy 2 guns a year.

As for shooting... time is a lot tighter than I would like. 12-15 hours a week spent commuting, 45-50 hours a week a the job... leaves no time to make it to the range during the week, weekends are spent doing the things I should do around the house. As a result, range trips only happen every 6 weeks or so.

I am thinking that a nice pellet rifle and pistol would be good to keep around so I can get more practice in and continue to hone my skills...

jeff-10
March 27, 2005, 01:14 PM
I am actually flush with cash right now but have no time to go to the range. I work sometimes 6 days a week to 7pm. I have recently bought guns I haven't been able to fire due to lack of time. I have stockpiled so much ammo and spare magazines in the meantime, from ordering from Midway and CDNN, that I am afraid the DHS is going to be knocking at my door any day now. I am realy itching for some time off and being able to shoot.

R.H. Lee
March 27, 2005, 01:26 PM
I already have more firearms than I have time to shoot. A range session of over a couple of hundred rounds (except .22lr) does not contribute to my skill and is only a waste of ammo. It's the middle of tax season; plus I drive 50 miles each way to my regular day job; both parents are in nursing homes with multiple health issues; money is always a consideration; etc., et yada, et quackity quack. So yeah, I'm way too busy and too frugal to be buying guns.

And I didn't even mention looming weed abatement on several acres. :uhoh:

wasrjoe
March 27, 2005, 01:51 PM
No money or time now... but I'll have money soon. But it doesn't matter, because not only will I not have time, but I'll be living in California. :( Oh well, time to focus on women. :evil:

JeepDriver
March 27, 2005, 04:00 PM
Between the mortgage and car payment (which is about to double since the wife needs a new car) My shooting is droping off big time.

I have one advantage though, I took a part time job at an indoor pistol range. I've been able to finance ammo and the occational new gun from that salary, but I find more and more of that money going towards home improvements!

trickyasafox
March 27, 2005, 04:21 PM
school+football=not shooting a third as much as i would like

cgv69
March 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
I'd say kind of both in my case.

I had a very good last year or so gun purchase wise only because I did a lot of paying side jobs. The flip side is between normal work, side work, normal family\home stuff, etc., I just haven't had time to even use a couple of them yet! :(

I know I'm going to be real busy through spring\early summer but it should die off after that. The down side is no new toy money but the up side is I will hopefully have the time to enjoy the toys I already have :D

Monkeyleg
March 27, 2005, 06:23 PM
Sounds like some people here are having a bit of a hard time. Things will turn, though. They generally do.

I have as many guns as I need, but not as many as I want. Luckily, the ones I do have are ones I've kept because they're my favorites. Quality over quantity.

There's plenty of ammunition for each gun, and lots of reloading components.

So, now it's more time than anything else. Well, there is a little jealousy reading a post about someone's new Ed Brown Kobra Carry. ;)

Preacherman, I didn't realize your back problems and other problems had been going on for so long. Have the doc's said when you could start shooting again?

Harry Paget Flashman
March 27, 2005, 07:23 PM
At long last with the kids gone, mortgage paid off and no car payments I have been buying guns as if H. Clinton & C. Shumer were moving into the White House next week. My job and chores keep me too busy to shoot as much as I'd like. I need to work on that.

BlkHawk73
March 27, 2005, 07:36 PM
Well, let's see...

Got a mortage to pay each month, a new car payment each month, college loan payment each month, weekly daycare costs, plus normal household expendatures. Keep it all within budget and it's still possible to buy a new gun every couple months. Worked out a savings plan where a set amount is taken from each paycheck and put into a "gun fund". All the bills are paid and the fund can still grow. Purchased 4 this way this year so far.
Now as for shooting time...I've had veruy little time for range time the last couple years. New house, a 3 yo and a wife with an inconsistant scheduale made it hard. Now that she's gotten her promotion and has a set schedule, Saturdays are mine! Not going to go every Sat. but will as often as I can. have a new garage, breezeway and gun room to build this summer. Also, with it being light out later, I can go after work some nights after work as well. Looking like this will be a good year- gun wise - for me.

Boss Spearman
March 27, 2005, 08:32 PM
I traded for mine, but I'm losing my job by the end of the year, and I have a large credit card bill to show for some of my lack of wisdom in firearms purchases over the last year.
So I won't be buying anything at all for the undetermined future. There are no jobs of my kind in my area, and I've no idea what I'm going to do when my company gets shut down.

Soap
March 27, 2005, 09:03 PM
I haven't had time for the past 6-8 months because of my job. I quit that so now I have time but I've so far elected to do other things with my time like doing hand-to-hand training and reading. I'll probably be doing a good deal of international travel in the next few years so I'm focusing on my empty hand and improvised weapons. I'm looking for a day job right now to cover bills and help my investment accounts. If I spend any money on guns this year it will be going to classes.

geegee
March 27, 2005, 09:35 PM
Heading into 4 1/2 months of unemployment, so even though I've been a good boy, I don't see any gun purchases on the near-term horizon. :(

GT
March 27, 2005, 10:06 PM
I am sorry that many of you are going through hard times right now.

As BJ Klintoon would say "I feel your pain"!

It was only a few years ago that my wife and business partner was incurably ill and I was writing a check to the IRS for $30,000; all that I had.
It was hand to mouth for a while.

Fortunately she recovered and our business recovered.

It gets better.
And you are living in one of the few places in the world that LETS you own guns.

Never forget that.

G (expatriate Englishman living in the greatest country in the world for 25 years now)

GRB
March 27, 2005, 10:29 PM
Reading the posts on THR, it sounds like just about everybody is going to the range every day and buying a new gun every week. An exaggeration, yes, but it feels that way sometimes. Not me, no time for the range lately. Some fun money stashed away but no desire for a new gun for myself right now, although I owe my son a Ruger 10/22 All Weather. Sooner or later when I see one at a decent price. Hopefully sooner.

As for ammo no problem. I have a foot locker full, and then some, of .45 ACP, 9mm JHP, 9mm NATO, .380 Auto, .32 Auto, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .22 LR, .22 CB, .223, 7.62X54R, 7.62x39, .35 Remington and 12 gauge slugs, buck, bird and target shot. Could not budge the thing if I tried, and I can only guess what it is doing to the carpet and carpet pad underneath. Nice military foot locker too, circa 1940s, a real deal at only about $15.00 at an estate sale.

Someday I'll shoot a whole bunch of it up in one outing. For now I'll just keep it nice and dry.

All the best,
Glenn B

Magnuumpwr
March 27, 2005, 10:44 PM
Boy, I feel lucky. I have been unemployed since November have purchased a case of wolf 223, brown bear 7.62x39, (2) 100 rd beta mags, a remington 700 BDL custom, and also a Bushy carbon P21S. With being a member of a gun club and owning the amount of guns I do, I shoot very little compared to others in here. Mainly invite friends over to the house to shoot @ the 100 yd range I've setup.(no charge of course!) The one thing I failed to mention earlier is that my wife makes as much a week as unemployment pays me in 2 weeks. Unemployment pays the bills and wifes checks go toward extra spending (i.e. guns, camping, and the like). I hate reading that times are so tough for others and I hope that things only get better for our current economy. :)

Monkeyleg
March 27, 2005, 11:13 PM
Magnuumpwr: "Unemployment pays the bills and wifes checks go toward extra spending..."

Don't want to turn this into a Legal/Political thread, but those of us who pay the Unemployment taxes every quarter or two quarters pay those bills.

I've paid in roughly $15,000 into unemployment compensation taxes over the last seventeen years. Since I'm the owner of my one-man conglomerate, I can only collect for one month, or roughly $1200 if I go under.

That other $13,800 would have bought a very minty MP5, and an AC556 to boot. :cuss:

Atticus
March 27, 2005, 11:26 PM
I don't even have time to post anymore...so yes on both accounts. On the flip side, the weather isn't so good anyway and I don't have a burning desire to buy anything new.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 28, 2005, 12:51 AM
Money is OK-----workin 2 jobs to pay my child support obligations-----but the second job pays that and then some.

So I make it the to the shop here and there----and buy here and there----just not much time for trigger time after doing that and seeing my kids.

Once I get a few bills paid off----I'll have a lot more free time when I quit the second job.

homeka45
March 28, 2005, 12:59 AM
Buying too many rifles, must buy more ammo.

No_Brakes23
March 28, 2005, 01:18 AM
Here is a story of neglecting the range, for ya...

I bought my Remington 870 ExSuMag in '01. Then 9/11 happened, and I spent the next few years getting deployed all the time. I was never home for more than 4 months at a time, and going to the range wasn't a big priority compared to spending time with the family. Within a month of getting out of the Corps this January, I made a point of finally firing my shotgun. 79 rounds later, I couldn't believe it had taken so long to fire it.

Now my conservative goal is 50 rounds per HD weapon per month or 100 per quarter if I can't make that. That is 400-600 rounds per year of .45ACP, .380ACP, 7.62x39mm, and 12 ga. Also, I drive a couple hundred miles to go to a 300 yard range with my Dad every two or three months, (Can't neglect the rifle marksmanship.) That is all gonna add up, though, so who knows...

They say to practice what you load, but I can't afford 800-1000 rounds of Hydrashok per year. 400-600 of mixed slug, #00B, #1B, #4B is a little more affordable, though.

nomadboi
March 28, 2005, 11:31 AM
Was a bit poor, but doing ok all things considered... just had my car stolen last night though, so I'm now both more broke and more motivated to practice...

.45&TKD
March 28, 2005, 11:37 AM
I'm on Commissioned Sales:

When I'm really busy, I have the money to buy guns, but not the time to shoot them.

When I'm not busy, I have the time but not the money for ammo and range fees.

So half the guns I have, I have not shot, yet.

Magnuumpwr
March 28, 2005, 01:28 PM
Monkeyleg, where do you think the 8 years of insurance my employer paid should go to me or someone else? I know I earned the vacation I am on. Assuming thing usually causes problems, look at the anti-gun freaks! The statement you made was a "blanket" statement and tend to cause problems of their own.

Monkeyleg
March 28, 2005, 02:05 PM
Magnuumpwr, I didn't express myself very well.

My rant was at the state government that takes all that money from me but, if I become unemployed, I can only collect about $1,000. (Four weeks).

Lonestar.45
March 28, 2005, 03:17 PM
I've suffered from this for a while now too. My solution has been to start picking up and shooting cheap milsurps instead of more expensive stuff. I wanted an AR, but two SKS's and a thousand rounds of ammo is cheaper. I've had to compromise what I really WANT in order to get to shoot. If not, I'd never get to buy or shoot probably. SKS, WASR AK, Springfield GI instead of a Garand, AR, and Kimber. I've learned not to be a gun snob. Along the way, I've re-discovered that I LIKE to shoot, rather than just buy the nice latest thing and not have any $ to shoot it or be afraid to scratch it because it would devalue it or something.

As for the time issue, that is always tough. I went over a year without shooting after my son was born, I'm just now getting back into it. But with as little time I have after work and necessary "chores" around the house, it's tough to choose to go to the range over playing with my 2yr old son. I typically wait until he's out doing something with momma, and I'll sneak off to shoot for a few hours.

Eskimo Jim
March 28, 2005, 05:06 PM
Monkey,
I'm in the same boat, just working a different oar.

My 'fund' was depleted last Autumn for the hardware collection. I still have some dough for ammunition and reloading supplies but my firearm purchases are about 1 every two to three years now. this kind of forces me to enjoy each firearm before making an addition. It also allows me to research each addition so I don't end up with stuff that is just a passing fad.

Always keep a couple of arms chambered in .22lr for cheap fun!!!

-Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone too busy/broke for guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!