Springfield Milspec

PDA

March 27, 2005, 02:40 PM
Is the milspec a 70 or 80 series? What's the difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Milspec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nico
March 27, 2005, 03:44 PM
I think all Springfields are considered Series 70. I think the main difference is the firing pin safety (Series 80 has one, Series 70 doesn't).

Jim Watson
March 27, 2005, 03:54 PM
Neither.
Series 70 and 80 are Colt registered trademarks and it is incorrect to call a Springfield a Series anything.

A Colt Series 70 has a collet bushing and no firing pin block, a Colt Series 80 has a firing pin block, some early ones had collet bushings, too.

Late production Springfields have a titanium firing pin and a very strong firing pin spring so as to avoid the extra parts of a firing pin block. They keep their lawyers happy by putting a key lock in the mainspring housing.

Gunsnrovers
March 27, 2005, 04:26 PM
True, but when shopping for parts, most vendors use Series 70 and Series 80 to seperate certain parts (grip safety's, firing pins, and extractors come to mind).

While it may not be correct to call a Springfield a Series 70, when shopping for parts you do need to know the difference.

DMF
March 27, 2005, 04:59 PM
From now on we'll all just write "Series 70" or "Series 80" in quotes to note that it's not Colt specific. :rolleyes:

Jim Watson
March 27, 2005, 05:51 PM
It's amazing how flexible gun snobs are about their terminology. They have no problem calling a Brazilian or Communist Chinese knockoff of a Colt a Series 70 just because it doesn't have a mechanical firing pin block, or a plastic gun with a 28 shot magazine a 1911 because it uses the same shape hammer as a Colt, but will crawl all over you for calling a magazine a clip. And then procede to load theirs with bullets. Phooey.

nico
March 27, 2005, 06:04 PM
pot. . . kettle

Onmilo
March 27, 2005, 06:23 PM
The Mil Spec is built to the design JMB intended.
There are no extra safety features.

Stephen A. Camp
March 27, 2005, 07:24 PM
Hello.

Here are some observations and comments on the Mil-Spec if interested:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical%20Look%20at%20Springfield%20Mil%20Spec.htm

Since that was written, the gun has had some internal parts upgraded and worked over by Teddy Jacobson.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pe51ba56ff9a2a0892c74c1fe15968447/f4dd2081.jpg
This the same gun as it currently appears. Externally, there's not much difference but the gun continues to be 100% reliable and has become a favorite shooter.

Best.

popeye
March 27, 2005, 07:25 PM
I have one and like it. Unfortunately the hammer is cut with a series 80 style safety step and the thumb safety is new style. Both features I will correct ASAP. Plus mine came with goofy WWII wood grips. As soon as I can trade them for wood full checkered I will. Other than that a nice 1911a1 copy for $380.

Seraph
March 27, 2005, 09:38 PM
Hey, popeye, for your information, the EMC wide spur hammer I had installed on my Mil Spec features a true half-cock notch. Also, it's machined from hardened tool steel, and is a dead ringer for the USGI long wide spur hammer. If it's too long for you, you can bob the back of it a little, as was done on mine.
http://www.workhorsearmory.com/seraph/Valentine_preview.jpg

Jammer Six
March 27, 2005, 10:47 PM
The Mil Spec is built to the design JMB intended.
There are no extra safety features.

That may be true of a Colt, but it certainly isn't true of either Springfield Milspec.

R.H. Lee
March 27, 2005, 11:06 PM
That may be true of a Colt, but it certainly isn't true of either Springfield Milspec.
You're probably referring to the ILS in the MSH which is easily replaced. AFAIK, there are no other differences, EXCEPT the Series 80 has some sort of groove or slot in the firing pin, preventing it from moving forward if dropped, unless the trigger is depressed, correct?

Jammer Six
March 27, 2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

The statement that the weapon was built "...to the design JMB intended. There are no extra safety features." simply isn't true.

There was no ILS in the original design.

The fact that it's simple to replace has nothing to do with it.

popeye
March 28, 2005, 09:16 AM
Seraph.......Yep thats what I want in the way of a hammer for my milspec. I've got an Argentine 1927 frame I put a military slide an berrel on. It's not pretty but it's my favorite of my now meager 1911 collection. I was gonna swap out the milspec MSH with another one I have with a lanyard loop, but I think I,m gonna gut the ILS parts and fill the hole with dyed epoxy, or something.

Zach S
March 28, 2005, 10:02 AM
While we're on the subject of SA milspecs, has anyone ever had a hard time swapping out the MSH for one that didnt have the ILS? The ILS wasnt the issue for me, I prefer flat MSHs, and of course milspecs come with arched. I got a Les Baer replacement out of brownells, and it took quite a bit of filing and cussing before it would slide in and out of the frame without a lot of force.

jwhisler
March 28, 2005, 10:04 AM
I have a SA Milspec in OD green, my first 1911; but not my last

R.H. Lee
March 28, 2005, 10:05 AM
I also prefer the flat MSH and replaced the ILS with one I bought from Brownell's, I think. I slid right in no problem. My milspec is stainless.

Seraph
March 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
The MSH in my pic above is from a Colt, and it slid right in. I have tried a flat MSH, but prefer the arched MSH, as it fills my hand better, and brings the muzzle up to a more natural point for me.

Zach S
March 28, 2005, 10:37 AM
Okay, maybe the MSH was out of spec. I didnt try one out of any of my others because theyre all stainless, my milspec is parkerized.

popeye
March 28, 2005, 10:44 AM
I've had problems fitting some MSH's (in other 1911's). Some are tight, some fit so high in the channel that they interfere with movement of grip safety. I've got a couple in my parts box that the spring retainer pin hole is drilled a fraction too low.

Jammer Six
March 28, 2005, 04:58 PM
I did some minor filing and stoning to get my flat MSH to fit.

Dionysusigma
March 28, 2005, 06:39 PM
Um... I've had enough TLAs for a lifetime... :banghead:

What do MSH and ILS stand for? :uhoh: :confused:

nico
March 28, 2005, 07:29 PM
MSH- Mainspring Housing. It's the piece below the grip safety on the rear of the gun's grip

ILS- springfield's Integral Locking System. It's basically a device that prevents the mainspring from moving so the hammer can't move.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Milspec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!