Got Delayed :( Any help?

PDA

DonNikmare
March 28, 2005, 12:17 AM
03/29/05 Update Made a Mistake on the FFL 4473 Form-Anything I can do now? (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=1614870#post1614870)

Finally went to pick up a long awaited and planned for cz P-01 and got a "Delay" at a local Academy store.
I'm a permanent resident/green card holder and this happened to me when I bought a rifle with last year's tax return. However, at that point it only took a day. Went on a Friday, got the delay, and was called back on Sat. morning.
This time, it's been since Fri. and I'm starting to worry. Should I be worried?

I doubt that there is someone with my name that did something illegal as my name is pretty unique for the states. I have nothing on my record - worse I did was to get two trafic tickets and that was years ago. I went over how I filled out the yellow form and think I made no mistake.

Anyone know how long is an average delay?

Does anyone know if that yellow form is available anywhere on line so I can look at it and make sure I answered everything as I think I did?

Any FFL help would be appriciated!

Dang it! This wait is killing me :confused: :(

Nik

If you enjoyed reading about "Got Delayed :( Any help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
March 28, 2005, 12:22 AM
If you set off _any_ thing weird, odds are you'll be delayed. I've got a friend who is a doctor, and he's got the DEA authorization to prescribe narcotics. He gets delayed every time.

RRTX
March 28, 2005, 12:39 AM
A delay can be anywhere from a minute to a few days. I believe it was recently changed though so that if the FFL does not recieve a Denied on you within 3 business days they can release the gun to you.

DonNikmare
March 28, 2005, 12:48 AM
if the FFL does not recieve a Denied on you within 3 business days they can release the gun to you.

One of the Academy guys told me that too but he also said that Academy stores have a policy against doing so.

I'm jumping out of my skin here. I only manage to afford and justify one firearm purchase per year. I spend a long time reseaching, deciding, what I want, and a long time finding a good deal. So every extra day I have to wait after all that's been done is just a major frustrating pain.

Nik

Standing Wolf
March 28, 2005, 12:52 AM
One of the Academy guys told me that too but he also said that Academy stores have a policy against doing so.

I'd take my dollars elsewhere.

ConcernedCitizen
March 28, 2005, 01:17 AM
This happens to a friend of mine quite often. Always annoying, but never serious.

What our favorite FFL did was just ask if they had a "Pended" or "Pending" file on my friend, which they did. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact wording.)

This allowed them to resolve the situation in minutes, since they already had a file on my friend from the last time he was delayed, and how they resolved it then. All they had to do was find the file, and he was approved almost instantly.

Jeez, with "National Security" and all, one would really hope they could be a little more organized with our criminal histories and such... :rolleyes:

RoyG
March 28, 2005, 08:12 AM
Since you are always getting delayed why not get your CWP? In TX it qualifies as A NICS check when buying firearms per the BATF.

I know it's another outlay of money for the traiining and permit but it makes it much easier to walk in and get your next firearm without any delay.

QUALIFYING PERMITS (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/bradylaw/permit_chart.htm)

dleong
March 28, 2005, 09:46 AM
I am a PR/"Green Card" holder too, and have purchased several dozen firearms wherein the delay was none to three days. More often than not, the FFL calls back within 24 hours to let me know the "proceed" has come through. If I am mail-ordering a firearm, I'll visit the receiving FFL a day or two before the firearm is scheduled to arrive, to fill out the 4473; this way, the "proceed" has comes through by the time the firearm arrives.

I have a CCW permit, but unfortunately, here in MN, that does not exclude you from a NICS background check. :cuss:

DL

slowworm
March 28, 2005, 10:46 AM
This is how is was explained to me once.

The NICS check is sub-contracted out by the FBI to what is basically a call center where the operators just key stuff in to the NICS system to run the check.

Since you are a Green Card holder the the call is handed off to a real FBI agent when the basic information on the 4473 has been entered. The FBI agent can then verify that the INS number you entered on the 4473 is valid and that is also mathces the information that the INS holds. Because the NICS system is supposed to be standalone this chack has to be done manually.

If there is an agent free at the time you will get cleared there and then. Usually they have to deal with multiple queries and so you get delayed.

There is nothing at all you can do about this other than put up with it.

boofus
March 28, 2005, 11:15 AM
I second getting a TX CHL if just for speedier gun purchases. When I go to shows with my non-packing friends it takes them 20-30 minutes, if they're lucky, to buy a gun. But I just whip out my magic card and 5 minutes later I got a new toy.

:neener:

DonNikmare
March 28, 2005, 11:19 PM
Since you are always getting delayed why not get your CWP? In TX it qualifies as A NICS check when buying firearms per the BATF.

That's the plan. My generous and gracious wife thinks I'm a little nuts but has given me the go ahead for the CHL course on account of our tax return :) . I'm getting the P-01 for concealed carry. I'm also getting off my lazy butt and moving things toward applying for citezenship.

I appriciate all of you taking the time to respond - makes me feel a little better.

Slowworm thanks for the detailed explanation.

dleong (if you are the cz-forum dleong), glad to see you on this board and thanks. You have helped me more than once before.

Of course, I could not wait and called Academy to inquire just in case an approval came through but no luck yet. Tomorrow is my birthday so I'm double hoping. They said the three day period starts from today but could take up to 27 days. :scrutiny:

Nik

aguyindallas
March 29, 2005, 11:32 AM
Nik, when ya gonna come shoot with us again? Its been a loooooong time!

Oh, and happy birthday too!

20cows
March 29, 2005, 12:09 PM
"My generous and gracious wife thinks I'm a little nuts but has given me the go ahead for the CHL course on account of our tax return."

Be sure and hang on to that girl.

My wife does not share my enthusiasm for firearms, but when Texas first passed concealed carry, she supported my decision to get the liscense all the way. She even let me buy a new gun or two, because I needed something other than what I had to carry.

What a gal!

DonNikmare
March 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, my wife is a hang oner type wife :)

aguyindallas, thanks. May be able to do so the next time. My parents are here from oversease(no daycare costs) and I'll be able to have the $ to come with one of the next times. I ran into TechBrute and, I think, High Velocity last Saturday at the range. It was nice to catch up though briefly.

Nik

halvey
March 29, 2005, 02:41 PM
if the FFL does not recieve a Denied on you within 3 business days they can release the gun to you.
The key word here is CAN. Most won't. Technically, if the NICS is down, they can approve you too. Good luck!

DonNikmare
March 29, 2005, 04:44 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Just got the call, spead over there and got the P-01.

I'm extremely happy and relieved!

Thanks to all for the info. shared!

Will take and post pics in the next few days,

Nik :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Got Delayed :( Any help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!