Guns to armor?

PDA

rem
March 28, 2005, 02:03 AM
I just saw on the news (FOX5 KVVU) that in Philadelphia they are going to melt down thousands of confiscated guns to make steel plate. The steel is to be used as armor by our soldiers abroad. I could not find anything about it online though. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand our troops will get some much needed armor, on the other hand, those poor guns. What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns to armor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
winstonsmith
March 28, 2005, 02:11 AM
Why don't they melt down volvos? Enough steel there to make an Abrams.

Plus the armored-car-liberals would have to walk.

Fumbler
March 28, 2005, 02:28 AM
I don't mind, it's the state property afterall.

What would have been a better idea is to auction off the guns and use the money to buy raw steel. I'm sure that would be a better use of resources.

Chawbaccer
March 28, 2005, 07:28 AM
Just think about the poor grunt thats gonna have a Lorcin protecting his as.

bshepherd
March 28, 2005, 10:18 AM
The better plates in the vests over here (Baghdad) are ceramic rather than steel. Steel is too heavy.

lwsimon
March 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Its fine. On Fox News, I about fell out of my chair when they reported this.

"These guns have brought violence and death to our streets....... Well, to be honest, the people wielding them have brought violence and death to our streets."

This was from some Philadephia official! I was shocked!

armoredman
March 28, 2005, 10:23 AM
Just think about the poor grunt thats gonna have a Lorcin protecting his as.
"Achmed, aim there, where it says 'Davis'!"

Crosshair
March 28, 2005, 10:40 AM
They will probably melt some polomer framed and aluminum guns into the mix. They will most likely do a half-assed job and the resulting steel won't make good rebar.

shermacman
March 28, 2005, 10:52 AM
This is BS, this is the Nanny State lying to the sheeple.

Take your favorite gun out of hiding and hold it in your hand. How much steel do you actually see? Imagine melting the gun down into a liquid puddle. (Just imagine, don't get carried away and start crying!) You don't have squat. You would have various steel compounds with all kinds of weird admixtures of scandium, aluminum, cobalt, nickle, chrome, zinc: all absolutely worthless in making of decent armor.

Sergeant Sabre
March 28, 2005, 11:11 AM
I don't believe it.

"Armor", as used by our Defense Department, isn't just any old steel. (And I think they are talking about vehicle armor, not the ballistic plates for the new flak jackets). The metal is very specific. I would think, and I'm no metallurgist, that inferior steel could be more dangerous if it fragments upon impact or whatnot.

Omni04
March 28, 2005, 12:10 PM
i wonder if there may be any accidental dicharges? :)

rem
March 28, 2005, 08:45 PM
Yes, I believe the steel plate is for vehicles, not vests. When I first heard about this, I thought the same thing you did, Shermacman. Were they planning on dismantling all the guns and sorting out all the steel bits? But considering our troops are digging through trash heaps for steel to use as vehicle armor, I guess something is better than nothing. Fumbler's idea is the most logical, but since when does the government use logic?

Preacherman
March 29, 2005, 12:38 AM
With luck, they'll forget to unload the guns before they melt them down, and the smelting process will be a noisy and lively affair! :D

Third_Rail
March 29, 2005, 12:50 AM
Complete BS... the kind of guns most confiscated (cheap-o guns) would be zinc.

Can't make armor from zinc.

GW
March 29, 2005, 01:05 AM
And how many guns would it take to make any significant amount of armor?
They need 10's of 1000's to make it even worth the while to fire up the oven
This is just another stupid ploy
These politicians are like a bad comedian who can't see that the crowds are laughing at his jokes anymore.
"Oh gosh. They're onto me for corruption. Lets melt some guns"
"Geez I haven't done anything lately I know I'll pass a gun law"
and so it goes

shermacman
March 29, 2005, 07:42 AM
Just one more observation about US soldiers digging through garbage to come with armor: The standard armor package for the Humvee weighs about 2000 pounds. Consequently, that means the Humvee can carry 2000 pounds less other 'stuff'. Less stuff is water, ammo, guns, medical supplies, communications gear; all things that can also protect a soldier's life or things that can save a life if someone is wounded.

It also means that the Humvee is maxed out on brakes and suspension; and utterly under-powered in terms of speed. Speed and mobility are also life-saving factors. We have an entire class of battleship that opted out of heavy armor, they use their speed and increased fire power for protection. In the words of Admiral Fischer: "Speed is armor."

Similarly with the Humvee, there are no statistics that show how many times a driver has successfully veered around an object in the road because his Humvee wasn't weighted down, hit the brakes hard to avoid a problem, accelerated to confront a dangerous situation. Weighing down the Humvee with armor could cause as many problems as it solves.

The Willy's Jeep in WWII had no armor, either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns to armor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!