reviews of CZ pistols

PDA

hayseed
March 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking of getting a CZ-52 pistol for around $100. I know nothing about these. Two questions:

Are these really a great value, or cheap junk?

What is recoil like? (7.62X25)

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "reviews of CZ pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hunter44
March 28, 2005, 02:52 PM
I do not know about the cz 52 but i have nothing but praises for my cz compact pcr that ha been very reliable for the past two years (at the range mostly) its accuracy is excellent on a steady diet of cci blazer ammo. most of reports on other cz firearms have beenadmireable.

Walt Sherrill
March 28, 2005, 03:33 PM
The CZ-52 is a well-made military pistol with some unique features.

Personally, I think they're BUTT-UGLY, and have never had a desire to own one. But, a lot of folks love'em, love the very loud bang they make, and especially like the hot round they shoot. Reputed to be one of the strongest pistols, but some experts say, "Yes, they're stout, but don't overestimate their strength when playing around."

No, they're not junk. They'd make a great truck gun, and ammo is relatively cheap. (Darned near armor-piercing, too... <grin>)

Only a solid Makarov and a couple of the older Stars offers better value in the under $200 range.

Black Snowman
March 28, 2005, 03:53 PM
It was one of the 1st things I ordered when I got my C&R and one of the reasons I wanted a C&R in the 1st place. Low, but sharp, recoil with full power loads and a fireball on par with 357 magnum (it is a SMG round after all).

Bad points: Horible sights, bad trigger, and an untrustworthy decocker, grip is long and doesn't always fit well. Firing pins are brittle and can easily break in dry fire. Bottle necked brass more time consuming to reload.

I won't be CCWing mine or anything, but I don't think you'll find anything better at that price range.

epijunkie67
March 28, 2005, 09:07 PM
I bought one recently and posted a range report in the livejournal guns community. Heres a link
http://www.livejournal.com/community/guns/439033.html#cutid1
Hope it helps.

Northslope Nimrod
March 29, 2005, 10:54 AM
Know nothing about CZ 52. However, CZ's are one of the best values out there in handguns. I have the CZ RAMI and I want a CZ PCR.

Walt Sherrill
March 29, 2005, 11:10 AM
I think I've got the following details right...

The new CZ (75, RAMI, PCR) while made by a follow-on company of the one that built the CZ-52, really share nothing with the older guns. The "heritage" is more apparent than real.

CZ-Strakonice built the older military weapons and some commercial long guns, later got into building heavy equipment, etc. CZ-Uhersky Brod [CZUB] makes the current CZ pistols and long guns, and are imported by CZ-USA.

The CZ-52 was the last gun that the Strakonice company made. Strakonice got out of the gun business, but was recently reinvigorated by some entrepenuers, and they're selling CZ clones (many of which are made by Tanfoglio in Italy) as "true CZs." They also sell a 1911 which, apparently, is made by Tanfoglio, too. These guns are imported by ADCO Sales.

The new CZ-TT 45 is one of the Tanfoglio guns called a CZ and assembled in the Czech Republic.

(The CZ name can apparently rightfully be attached to any gun made or assembled in the Czech Republic. "CZ" is an abbreviation for Ceska Zburojovka and means "Czech Weapons Factory.")

cls12vg30
March 29, 2005, 03:19 PM
I love my CZ-52. It's a blast at the range, and a very comforting thing to have tucked under the driver's seat of my car, it's almost like having a carbine under there.

JHP ammo is available if you know where to look. makarov.com has some, as does reedsammo.com .

Just this past Saturday I had it out at an outdoor range, and I had several people look over after my first shot with the '52 and say, "What the HELL is that?", and "That thing makes some NOISE!"

Really fun gun. I need to pick up another one in the original grey finish.

shoot870p
March 29, 2005, 09:13 PM
I hate to say it but I have got to get me one of the cz-52 pistols!

George Hill
March 29, 2005, 09:15 PM
I suggest the use of the SEARCH feature here on the website. Lots of information about the subject right there at your fingertips. The 52's only come up about every couple weeks for the last couple of years. I think you'll find all your answers.

cls12vg30
March 29, 2005, 09:25 PM
Don't hate to say it. Don't fight it. Get it. You won't be sorry.

BTW, there are a small number of veerrryyy nice satin-chrome-plated CZ-52's out there, done by a North Carolina seller called Classic Arms. Foolishly I did not pick one up when I had the chance. I may call them and beg them to do another run. Anyone else interested?

These were not "gangsta" chrome, rather they were satin chrome, a nickel-like finish that looked truly wonderful, and is very durable. Clashes a bit with the stock brown grips, but I also have a source of black CZ-52 grips, or any other color you might desire.

If you enjoyed reading about "reviews of CZ pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!