Dick's Sporting Goods...I don't like it.

PDA

OH25shooter
March 28, 2005, 03:01 PM
Dick's has just replaced the two local Galyan's. Twice I went to the store to buy 'ADVERTISED' UMC ammo (38 and 9mm). Both times, they didn't have it. The first time an employee allowed my to purchase .38 Winchester in it's place. This trip, I wasn't allowed any substitute. In fact, no substitutes are permitted, only rainchecks. What's up with this new store? Nothing but "bait" ads it seems. Apparently other items are not on the floor either. I probably won't go back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dick's Sporting Goods...I don't like it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SpookyPistolero
March 28, 2005, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't care enough to go back and give a faceless corp. my money. Support your local gunstore.

Yowza
March 28, 2005, 03:37 PM
I am of the opinion that unless you're into golf, Dick's Sporting Goods is about worthless. And if you're really into golf, it's probably worthless then too. Of course, I'm just bitter because Jumbo Sports (which I loved) closed here and all we got was a crappy Dick's.

Rick

Northslope Nimrod
March 28, 2005, 03:40 PM
Our local Galyan's was replaced with Dick's as well. It went from a Preppie store to a Bigger Preppie store. They care more about golf, tennis, hiking, etc than about hunting and guns. I like my stores to have more testosterone than that.

TexasRifleman
March 28, 2005, 03:42 PM
They bought all the Galyans locations, and I won't be in one again for anything.
Anti handgun as far as I am concerned. Why else wouldn't they sell them? It's a profitable business I assume since thier big competition sells them.
Enough for me.

El Tejon
March 28, 2005, 03:47 PM
The Galyan brothers sold out last year. :( I remember going to the original trading post in Plainfield, Indiana where the brothers would have a bison roast and my dad would buy guns. *sigh*

As a former employee of Galyan's I forced myself to enter Dick's last year. I bought a pair of running shoes and then hopped upstairs to the guns.

"No pistols?" I asked.
"We don't sell THOSE here." Was the reply I got with nose in air.
"Good luck staying in business." I got my money back for my shoes. :D

mtnbkr
March 28, 2005, 03:57 PM
Dick's: A name and a description.

Lying SOB's tried to tell my non-gunny wife a 44mag cartridge box is appropriate for 357mag ammo.

Truth be told, Galyans wasn't much better, but it did have a better selection of all things sold.

Chris

Texpatriate
March 28, 2005, 04:11 PM
Dick's is an absolute joke. :barf: I really liked Galyan's and shopped at their store in Frisco TX often. My first encounter with them involved me buying a Benelli Nova 12 ga. for the low price of $275 right after Benelli started putting them out. My last purchase from them before they changed over to Dick's was a Glock 22 at 25% off for like $400 when they were closing out all the handguns. Not to mention all the cammo, fly reels and other stuff I got there over the years. When I found out that Dick's was not going to carry handguns I figured I probably wouldn't bother spending my money there. I tried e-mailing them to tell them tactfully what I thought of their no-handgun policy and never recieved a response. I went in to Dick's twice back in February to check it out while my wife was foo-foo shopping. I think I was there for about an hour and not once did any of their employees greet me, ask me if I needed any help finding anything, or even acknowledge me in any way, shape, or form. I never even saw an employee behind the gun counter or even remotely nearby. I think I may have been one of a grand total of 5 customers in the store during that hour, so no, they were not busy helping other customers. The Galyan's folks were always friendly, always helpful, and *usually* reasonably knowledgable. Much better than any other big box store that sells guns in my experience. Don't waste your $$$ at Dick's. :cuss: Rant- Off.

El Tejon
March 28, 2005, 04:23 PM
Yes, at Galyan's, other than El Tejon pinching his hand in an M9 slide and shooting a Glock rod across the fishing aisles, we generally knew our stuff, or would go get someone who did know. :D

Bear Gulch
March 28, 2005, 04:47 PM
Dicks, not just a name but a management style!

Eskimo Jim
March 28, 2005, 04:55 PM
The first Dicks store that I went to had knowledgable and helpful people. The teeny bopper at the register had a heart attack when I tried to check otu with a case of pistol ammo.

In the same token though, I refuese to pay excessively high prices for ammo at a gun store.

-Jim

Dbl0Kevin
March 28, 2005, 05:08 PM
I worked for Dick's for a few months in the time between I graduated the police academy and I got hired at a police dept. The place was absolutely horrible. I worked in the "gun" section if you can even call it that and I figured it would have been a blast working in a gun store. WRONG. My manager seemed to model his personality after the name of the store and he did quite a remarkable job at it. We were all punished if we spent too much time with a customer instead of getting more stock out on the floor or re-arranging crap over and over again.

Any time I would be behind the gun counter talking to a customer about guns I'd see my manager walk by giving me dirty looks. After he got tired of me ignoring him he'd actually come over and interrupt and tell me to go do something else. I finally got so fed up with the place that I took off my "camo vest" threw it right at my manager and told him to take his job and shove it as I walked out the door. I became somewhat of a store celebrity after that and if I ever go back everyone always runs up to me to say hi. :D

LynnMassGuy
March 28, 2005, 05:16 PM
F Dick's. Dicks replaced Galyans around here. Galyans wasn't terrible. They had a great selection and very good prices if you could deal with terrible counter help. Dick's is awful. I'm done with the place. Tyey have nothing I can't buy better somewhere else.

Regards
John

Deputy25
March 28, 2005, 05:35 PM
Geez, I feel awful. I just bought a new Benelli Nova at the evil Dick's near my home. Local gunshop wanted 400.00, Dick's sold it for 329.99. I bought my son a new turkey vest and some calls with the difference. I hope he doesn't hate me now :)

Spot77
March 28, 2005, 06:00 PM
I guess I'm the lucky one here. My local Dick's has decent gun counter help, and has ALWAYS had the ammo I want....mostly .380, 9mm, .40, and .45. They seem to run a never ending sale on the handgun ammo - all Remington UMC.

They keep the Remington Gun Club 12 gauge in stock too and run that on sale for a great price.

Agreed on the Galyan's converted stores....Norton and I went into a Dick's in northern Virginia that was recently converted from a Galyans and they had NOTHING in stock that was advertised.

misANTHrope
March 28, 2005, 06:52 PM
I worked for Dick's for a few months in the time between I graduated the police academy and I got hired at a police dept. The place was absolutely horrible. I worked in the "gun" section if you can even call it that and I figured it would have been a blast working in a gun store. WRONG. My manager seemed to model his personality after the name of the store and he did quite a remarkable job at it. We were all punished if we spent too much time with a customer instead of getting more stock out on the floor or re-arranging crap over and over again.

Any time I would be behind the gun counter talking to a customer about guns I'd see my manager walk by giving me dirty looks. After he got tired of me ignoring him he'd actually come over and interrupt and tell me to go do something else. I finally got so fed up with the place that I took off my "camo vest" threw it right at my manager and told him to take his job and shove it as I walked out the door. I became somewhat of a store celebrity after that and if I ever go back everyone always runs up to me to say hi.

Sad but true. I worked at a local Dick's for ~2 years until I finally got fed up with the BS. During those two years, the company changed for the worse. When I started, we were adequately staffed generally, but as time went by, the company went public and making profit numbers for the stock market became the name of the game. Suddenly payroll was cut while stupid "moves" were increased. Let's do some math here. You want us to move crap around more often, but do it with less payroll? Suuuure. By the time I left, there was never enough payroll to have more than one person working the lodge at once, except for maybe the three-hour overlap between the AM and PM people.

I laughed out loud when you mentioned the "camo vest." When they told us we had to start wearing those things, I just stared at my manager. I refused to wear that cheesy thing. Guess who backed down first? I inspired a similar rebellion in my fellow lodge peoples. The same sort of thing happened the last Christmas season I was there. At that time, the new thing was the in-store warranty program, and they gave everyone these gay little warranty things to hang from our nametags. That made for an interesting conversation with my manager.

"Philip, you've got to put this on my nametag."
"I'm not going to wear that stupid thing."
"Well, you have to do it."
"And what'll happen if I don't?"
"You have to wear it."
"What if I don't?"
Guess who won? Yeah, you gain a little leverage when you're one of only two people in the department who has decent knowledge about guns, hunting, and fishing.

But in the end, the ridiculous demands on us, the endless rearranging of the department, district managerial types coming down and deciding to rearrange things "just to try something," and then nitpicking and micromanaging like hell, the move from decent products to cheap store-brand ????e in the name of profit, and to top it all off, the stupid customers, became more than I could bear. I still shop there, partly because my rommate still works there (he played hardball and extracted quite the hourly wage from them) and gets the discount, but I will certainly engage in bashing of the corp at every opportunity.

I predict that within a few years, Dick's will be at the end of their current expansion and will start losing money, unless they realize they can't compete with Wal-Mart.

Dbl0Kevin
March 28, 2005, 07:42 PM
I guess it wasn't just my store then. That place certainly was hell to work for. :fire:

I remember when the big wigs came down for an inspection and I started telling him that we need to actually keep more ammo in stock as well as maybe sell some OTHER guns beside the boring bolt action and pump shotguns we have. I mentioned Bushmasters and Colt Match Targets and got quick "no we'll never sell AR's". :rolleyes:

MikeIsaj
March 28, 2005, 07:50 PM
I sent my mom to Dicks for "guy lines" fr my nephew's tent. he idiot in charge of the camping section told her she was crazy, that no one makes anything like that, you just buy rope and make them yourself. I went back with a sample of the item I bought there the year before and talked to the manager. I got an apology and a $30.00 gift card.

Wanna have some fun? Watch their eyes when you ask them for FMJ ammo.

Buy your ammo at the private gun shop. As I've said before, the extra buck or two you pay is worth all the great free help you get.

wundudnee
March 28, 2005, 08:00 PM
Our local Dork's is the place to go for Spandex bikeing shorts! :p :evil:

I live equal distance between Dork's and Cabela's, Let's see...............

XLMiguel
March 28, 2005, 08:04 PM
Yup, it's al in the name - Dicks. I went out to the one that replace my local Galyan's in Fairlakes about a month after the change. It was really depressing, the energy was gone, the merchandise was poorly displayed. The Galyan's staff was mostly pleasant and helpful, the Dicks were just a bunch of feckless droids wandering with blank looks. The gun dept was decimated. A couple of the guys I knew were still there, but one was just waiting to start a new job at Blue Ridge Arsenal, and the other was seriously looking for a new gig. They had and OK selection of rifles & shotguns, but almost no pistol ammo. I won't be back.

mtnbkr
March 28, 2005, 08:36 PM
the energy was gone
Probably the best description of the difference between the two, other than the lack of merchandise.

Gander Mtn is 45min away, Cabelas is 4hrs away and Bass Pro Shop is 2.5 hours away. I don't need to shop with Dick's.

Chris

jacketch
March 28, 2005, 08:52 PM
When the local Galyans turned into a bunch of Dicks, I lost interest.

greg531mi
March 28, 2005, 08:53 PM
Yes, Dick's is a glorified Sports Pro Shop. A year ago, they had Remington Golden Bullet 22's for $6.95. I bought a case, with another 10% off, and they asked why I bought so much!!! This year, they have the junk Thunderbolts, for $7.95/brick...Glad I stocked up when I did!
They seem to have nothing in stock, but you can always get a rain check, I always ask for more than than I want, so they stock something.....

Jubei
March 28, 2005, 09:11 PM
Went into two of the local Galyans turned Dicks for their Grand Opening Sale. I couldn't believe the complete lack of service in their Hunting section. I spent 15 minutes at the counter while the two sales associates carried on a conversation about their cars. I finally gave up and went to find the store manager, he was less than helpful as well.

A friend of mine used to work at Dicks, he told me that the Corporate Office is really gung-ho about their complaints that they receive, so I paid a visit to their website to voice my opinion. I still haven't heard back from them.

Jubei

MoeMentum
March 28, 2005, 09:15 PM
Who in their right mind would open a store and call it, Dick's ? Unless, well never mind.....

misANTHrope
March 28, 2005, 09:37 PM
Someone named Dick Stack might do it. How many gas stations are around named something like Ed's Eat 'n' Gas? (yes, I know it was probably sarcasm, but what the hell)

Oh, and if you think those rainchecks you write them have any effect on what comes into the store, you're mistaken. No one at the store level has any say on what merchandise gets sent down. Some guy in an office somewhere allocates the merch based on what he thinks the store needs. Sadly that induhvidual is quite often clueless. For example, the first year I was there, we didn't get any buckshot in until about two weeks into gun season. Some times I'd have six cases if UMC 9mm in-house, and sometimes we'd be out. There was no rhyme or reason to it as far as I could tell. And if you wrote someone a raincheck, you just hoped the stuff would come in. I always made sure to explain to customers that all the raincheck did was gaurantee the sale price whenever the merch came in, but there was no way to predict how long it might be.

I will say this for Dick's- they helped me get a BPS Stalker for $320. When I decided to buy a shotgun, I looked through the SKU books and found some likely candidates at clearance prices, and checked around to see if I could find some at other stores. I got my BPS transferred in for me. :-D

Standing Wolf
March 28, 2005, 09:44 PM
There's nothing like a shortage of real gun shops where I live, so that chain can do without my dollars.

bad LT
March 28, 2005, 09:52 PM
I should really move to where you live Standing Wolf; Dicks beats the other major gunseller in my community - Wallmart :(

mtnbkr
March 28, 2005, 09:56 PM
No one at the store level has any say on what merchandise gets sent down.
That's SOP for many large chain stores.

There's nothing like a shortage of real gun shops where I live, so that chain can do without my dollars
Well, that's nice. However, around here there aren't many good places to buy hunting and fishing gear. The local gunshops are many, but lack a good selection of bass lures and tree stands. Galyans was the last. The next nearest place is Bass Pro Shop in Hampton, a 3hr drive from here. Gander Mtn *might* carry fishing gear, but they're still 45min away.

Oh, I forgot GreenTop. They're only 1.5hrs away, but they have a great selection of fishing gear. Less so on the hunting side, but moreso than Dick's.

I go to the Hampton Roads area about 3-4 times a year. I guess BPS will have to be a regular part of that trip.

With Galyans, we lost less on the gun side and more on the general outdoor sports side. In NoVa, Galyans was the only serious game in town for hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking.

Chris

Johnnybgood
March 29, 2005, 01:31 AM
A Gander Mountain store in your area. I think Dicks says it all. :fire:

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
March 29, 2005, 02:22 AM
Dicks is terrible compared to the old Galyan's in Fiarfax Va. Not only have they gotten rid of the handguns, but most of the firearms accessories as well. I don't see any reason to go there at all. Nothing they sell can't be gotten elsewhere for less.

JohnBT
March 29, 2005, 07:33 AM
I've bought a lot of sale-priced end-of-season clothes at Dick's. No, not the golf clothes, the hiking shorts and flannel shirts kind of clothes.

OTOH, if it wasn't a half-mile from my favorite gun store I wouldn't go there at all.

John

foghornl
March 29, 2005, 08:02 AM
The only Galyan's near me became a Dick's a while back, and while service was 'spotty' at best while a Galyan's it has absolutely gone the way of the handwoven conveyance since becoming a Dick's.

Rickstir
March 29, 2005, 10:47 AM
I have a great ad slogan for them:

"Blow your wad at Dick's"

patentmike
March 29, 2005, 10:25 PM
Our local Dork's is the place to go for Spandex bikeing shorts!

I doubt it. I went into the local Dick's the other day looking for cycling gloves. They stocked exactly one kind, and charged way more than the bike shop down the street. I took a walk by what used to be the gun counter when it was owned by Galyan's and found another reason not to go back.

"Dick's, the clothing store that used to sell sporting goods."

R.H. Lee
March 29, 2005, 10:42 PM
If they advertise it, they oughta have it. Reminds me of the scam the toy companies pull at Christmas. They heavily advertise some new toy that all the kids just have to get. The kids ask their parents for it as a Christmas present, and the parents promise. But when the parents get to the store, there are none for sale, so the parents are forced to buy another alternate, maybe even more expensive toy lest the kid be disappointed. Then, after Christmas, the promised toy shows up at toy stores. The kids remind the parents of the promise, get the promised toy, and the store sells twice as much.

Free market capitalism. It ain't honest and ain't ethical, but it's effective.

AK-NOW
March 30, 2005, 08:23 AM
When Galyan's, sold out to Dick's, they went from bad to worse, and NO handgun sales at Dick's.

mtnbkr
March 30, 2005, 08:27 AM
NO handgun sales at Dick's.

Really? Are you sure about that?

Chris

Crosshair
March 30, 2005, 10:04 AM
Wow, I'm glad I live in Grand Forks, ND. We have a Cabelas over in "East Grease" as well as a Sheels (Where I have my M1 Garand on layaway). Sheels usualy beats Cabelas on reloading components but Cabelas has good deals on Wolf Ammo as well as on specialty items. I'm like a kid in a candy store up here. :cool:

lostdog
March 30, 2005, 11:30 AM
I worked there.....problems as follows: You can be fired for having a personal weapon anywhere on store premisis, including the parking lot.

Corporate sends out ads based on what should be in stock, not what is in stock, thus leading to angry people.

In my state, you are exempt from having a background check performed on you if you hold a CWP....they wanted me to still run the background checks, even though the FBI was laughing at be on the phone, telling me that the people were exempt.

Daemon688
March 30, 2005, 12:53 PM
Forget about Dick's. They are just like their name. Why support a place that won't even sell you handguns?!?! Shouldn't be a surprise they wouldn't sell any pistol ammo.

38SnubFan
March 30, 2005, 01:11 PM
Wow! I feel bad now myself too. I just bought a box of .38 Spl. and 2 boxes of .45 ACP from them last Friday.

I bought it since it was a good deal, and the nearby Dick's in Mechanicsburg, PA had all types of ammo in stock.

Grant you they don't sell handguns, but they seem to have a good rifle selection. And yeah, they are more focused on sporting goods than firearms, but they DO advertise themselves as a sporting goods, not firearms store.

As far as their corporate policies being bad, you should see Wal-Mart's (my girlfriend works for them).

-38SnubFan

mack69
March 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
Same here....my favorite big box store since early last year is Gander Mountain. Great selection of handguns, long guns, ammo, reloading gear etc. If you have one near you check them out....mack

misANTHrope
March 30, 2005, 03:14 PM
For those who seem to think that the nonavailability of handguns is a heinous affront, understand the corporate viewpoint. Dick's continues to carry firearms for basically only one reason, and that is because they have always had guns since Dick Stack opened his first little store up north. They definitely don't keep selling them because they turn a good profit- they might make $20 on that shotgun you just bought. From the corporate perspective, the additional effort required to deal with state-to-state variations in handgun purchase laws is not worth the return, given their lackadaisical attitude towards guns sales anyway.

Understand that I'm not trying to defend the corporation or tell anyone what they should do. I wouldn't recommend working there to anyone without a high BS tolerance. I do want everyone to understand the situation, and base their decisions on the actual situation, not some small observation or assumption.

mtnbkr
March 30, 2005, 03:17 PM
I could care less about their gun selection. I dislike them for the quality and selection of the other items they sell and the attitude of their employees.

Chris

Master Blaster
March 30, 2005, 03:26 PM
Commrade Das Vidanya,

Dicks works onthe old Soviet model of consumer satisfaction:

The buy a lot of what ever they can get cheapest, and then they push and sell that. You want winchester ammo or federal .22lr ???? We dont sell that we only sell the remmington crap or sometimes CCI.

Management tells the stores what the customers want and thats what they sell them, SPECIAL ORDER??? at Dicks there is no such thing, even at Walmart you can special order a firearm they dont usually stock, NOT AT DICKS.

I only deal with any of these places if they have an item I want on sale as a loss leader, I bought 2 base model 10/22's from them because they were 139.99 and no one had the ability to match that price.

Now adays I seldom ever go into Dicks unless they have .17 HMR ammo on sale, or I'm in a hurry to get a weaver mount. They have 2 older nice retired guys who are hunters who work there, and they set me straight on how Dicks runs their business.

misANTHrope
March 30, 2005, 03:52 PM
Actually, Dick's does have a special order program. However, they go through a third party supplier whose prices are generally quite a bit higher than the in-store prices, and it takes 4-6 weeks to get to item in. The system is in place, but it's obnoxious enough that I had exactly two special orders in my two years with the company.

They used to even have Springfield Armory M1A1s and repro M1 carbines in the catalog, in my first year there. You could order some pretty cool stuff. The cool stuff disappeared in the next year's catalog, though.

Clean97GTI
March 30, 2005, 04:48 PM
My guess on the lack of selection is that Galyans was trying to clear out as much ammo as they could before the takeover. I know they were doing excellent deals on ammo at the location here in Las Vegas.
I bought 2 of the 100 ct. Remington green boxes (9mm FMJ) for $8 each and a brick of .22lr for $7. Not a bad deal.

Dicks does seem to have a decent selection of long arms provided you want a camo stock. :rolleyes:
The selection of fishing gear isn't bad though. Prices were decent, but Big-5 is closer and does sales more frequently.

I asked if they were going to stock handguns as Galyans had (who, BTW, had some excellent deals from time to time) only to be told no, we don't carry "THOSE."

Shame too, the guys who worked behind the Galyans gun counter were usually very helpful and quite knowledgable.

I go through Dicks every time I'm at a certain mall, but only because its closest to my favorite section of the food court and it allows me to park closer.

Stevie-Ray
March 30, 2005, 09:38 PM
Dicks sucks. I've got a Gander Mountain 15 minutes away. If I want even more, there is a Bass Pro Shops about 45 minutes away in one direction and Cabelas about the same distance in another. Needless to say I'm a Gander Mountain kinda guy.

LiquidTension
March 30, 2005, 11:38 PM
I worked at the Dick's in Columbia for about 3 months. They put me in the "camping" section instead of the firearms section ALL THE TIME. Normally I wouldn't complain, but I knew more about firearms than everyone else there except for one guy that left after the first 6 weeks of my employment (because they pissed him off by being stupid).

They'd tell me to get back in the camping section when there was not a soul in the store (except for employees). At one point they actually assigned me to the Lodge (rifles). A guy came in with a gun that he bought from a pawn shop. The pawn shop guy told him it was a 7mm something or other. Well, I looked at it, determined it to be a 6.5x55, informed him that the reticle on the scope was defective, got him a new scope, mounted it, boresighted it, showed him how to disassemble it (which he didn't know how to do previously), got him the CORRECT ammo, and sent him on his way. Needless to say, he was happy when he left and probably became a repeat customer. I say probably because the manager reprimanded me for helping the guy! Apparently I spent too much time helping the guy and keeping him from trying to fire 7mm in a 6.5. It also didn't mean anything that he bought a product from us. Two, actually (ammo and scope). Oh yeah, the manager also gave me some BS about how if the guy's rifle had any problems he could now sue the store since I helped him :rolleyes: That was my last day there - I went to lunch and never went back.

Is it any surprise that you can't get good help there when they have high turnover due to management @ssholes?

chris in va
March 31, 2005, 04:33 AM
I had an interesting issue recently at Dicks.

Usually I only go there for fishing tackle or the cheaper Remington 20ga shells. I saw they were sold out of 9mm and asked when they would get more in.

Apparently they only stock a few boxes (ala MalWart) and someone buys out all of them at once. Then, corporate will only restock in a couple weeks or more. The guy working firearms actually gave me his business card with the corporate's phone number, asking me if I could get them to move things along a little. He said their hands are tied being employees.

WVleo
March 31, 2005, 06:29 AM
Hi, Went to work at Dick's in Hagerstown B4 they opened . Worked the lodge ! My manager was pretty cool,but was offered another job at a real outdoors store some where else and he was gone within 2 weeks . They sent another ********* to run the lodge . Little pissant didn't know guns from fishing poles ! Then the fat ba$**** from the golf section wanted Me to unload his freight becuz His employees split on Him . I told Him I don't do golf, explained that when I applied for the job it would just be the lodge or nothing ! He started ranting and raving about he is a manager and I'll do what ever He tells me to . I told him if he didn't shut his fat mouth I would shut it for Him ! Then He made the mistake of pointing his finger at Me and I chased Him all the back to the golf section. Dick suck's and there managment visa-versa !!!!!!!!........WVleo

Shovelhead
March 31, 2005, 06:47 AM
I've heard a rumor that Dick's has posted "No Firearms" at the doors.

Is this true?

scout26
March 31, 2005, 02:35 PM
Funny I should find this thread, I just e-mailed Dick's the following:

Normally I would not bother to write about my experience but in this case I will make an exception simply because I hate to see a store that I had previously enjoyed spending my money and one of the few businesses in the Chicagoland area that is Hunting friendly lose or go out of business. I like to spread my hunting and shooting dollars around. I purchased firearms from local gunshops, over the internet through gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com; and also from major retailers like Galyan’s and Gander Mountain. I buy ammo from the internet at cheaperthandirt.com, ammodepot.com, my local gunshops, Wal-mart, Galyan’s, and Gander Mountain.

I had seen and heard your ads both radio and TV about your to Grand (re)Opening of your stores. I decided to wait until I saw your flier in the Sunday, March 27, Chicago Tribune. My daughter has her Spring Youth Wild Turkey permit for several weeks now, but we had been unable to get our Illinois Hunting Licenses, as none of the license vendors near our home had received the 2005 licenses. At the top of page 19 of your flier boldly proclaimed “WE HAVE 2005 HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES.” In addition there were several items listed that I was interested in examining further and possibly purchasing for the upcoming Turkey season.

I took my son and daughter to your Lombard store on the evening of Monday, 28 March. I was disappointed to discover that you no longer carried handguns and even more discouraged that the Hunting section had shrunk by at least one third of it’s size from when it was a Gaylan’s. We went through each aisle basically just looking to see what was left. I found that what had been an entire firearms cleaning aisle had become just 12 ft shelf space. The only Bows I saw were for kids. There were maybe 7 or 8 different broadheads to choose from and most either 85 or 125 grains. I looked for CLP it apparently is no longer carried. We looked for the EZ Strut Starter Kit, as I figured it would be a good way for my daughter to learn and practice in addition to me teaching her. Needless to say, we could not find it. After approx 45 minutes of browsing through the hunting section (and not seeing a single employee, we waited by the firearms counter, and waited and waited some more. After another 20 + minutes, a rather harried looking employee came from the fishing section toward the office area behind the firearms rack. I asked “Can I get some help over here ?”, as he did his best to ignore us on his way to the office. With an exasperated sigh, as I was obviously interrupting something of great import, he came over. I asked about the price of a portable blind I had found on a shelf. He had a hand price scanner, quickly scanned the item and gave me the price. He tried to get away but I asked about the Starter Kit that I had been unable to locate and he reluctantly lead us back over to the aisle with the turkey calls. Once we got there his phone rang and he took the call, while we patiently waited. I pointed out the item on the flier, he looked through the racks, I looked through the racks again, my daughter looked through the racks again. “I guess they didn’t come in” he said and walked away toward the office. No offer of a raincheck, no suggestion of a different product or combination of products. I was dumbfounded by the attitude of ‘If we don’t have it, you don’t need it.’

We then went to check out and ask about licenses at the customer service counter. I knew it was a bad omen when I saw the “This Register Closed” sign on the customer service counter. We got in line for one of the registers. I informed the clerk that I wish to purchase hunting licenses. I called over the “head cashier” that I wanted to buy a hunting license. She informed another lady that I wanted to buy a license. That lady (whom I presume to be a manager.) Informed me that they didn’t have them. I showed her the page of your flier that clearly stated “WE HAVE 2005 HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES.” She informed me that they had not received them from the Illinois DNR and that I would have to take it up with the state of Illinois. I paid for my purchase and left. On the way home my daughter and I had a lengthy discussion (basically me asking her questions and her opinion) of customer service and what we had just experienced.

Needless to say neither her nor I have any desire to return to your store ever again.

Sincerely,

scout26

lbmii
March 31, 2005, 11:41 PM
Dick's replaced Gaylands in the Kansas City area and I am really turned off by it.

gulogulo1970
April 1, 2005, 01:02 AM
I really liked Galyan's. They were pretty new to the DFW area. I bought alot of gun supplies and three handguns from them. Their prices and gun counter service were great.

I went into the store about a month after if changed over. They basicly had nothing in stock that I used to buy there. I've been there three times since then and I have yet to see anyone behind the gun counter. Galyan's usually had two employees behind the counter, pretty much every time I shopped there.

Sad I lost a store I really liked and now it has been replaced by one that frankly, sucks.

Jspy
April 2, 2005, 08:28 AM
Dicks....
What can I say, the name says it all. :uhoh:

Rich K
April 2, 2005, 11:00 AM
I am really fortunate-I have a Gander Mountain 15 minutes from my house,a Bass Pro 25 minutes away,and a Cabela's about an hour way.So I don't have to bother with Dork's.

aut2no
April 2, 2005, 11:25 AM
OK, everyone's piling on Dick's, so I'll bite and throw my 2 cents in with a different perspective.

First off, most of you who p_ _ _ & moan, need to be thankful you live in areas where you have a variety of gun/ammo retailers close by to take your business to when you just don't like the cashier's question.

I, for one, am glad to have the Dick's here - even as limited as it may be. Unfortuneately, in Massachusetts, the local towns have autonomy on issuing licenses for both gun owners & dealers. Many WalMarts do not have guns/ammo. This is sometimes due to local pressure; sometimes because of an arrogant police chief. The local Sports Authority (Danvers Mall) just cleaned out all its long guns (only airguns left), however the manager, who seemed to be a straight shooter, explained he had only sold one shotgun since November and it was purely a corporate decision on the issue of sales/per/s.f. There were no whining 'million moms' or any town issues involved.

I went this week for the first time to our new Dicks (former Gaylans). The 2 guys at the Lodge were knowledgeable and friendly. They had a Ruger 10/22 for $169 and good prices on various 870's. They had great deals on some shotgun shells but nothing in terms of bulk 38 target ammo. I had my daughter with me and we bought her first archery set - they even had an 35 ft. archery target setup for her to try it out first - we had a blast.

So an hour at Dick's is a lot like an hour at the range sometimes you hit sometimes you miss, but you still have fun.

And yes the naive, but harmless, cashier asked when handling the shotgun shells (skeetload) if I were a hunter. With my straightest face let him know "Yes, these help keep the varmit snipe herd on my land in balance."

PS They kept the climbing wall from Galyan's which my kids love.

veloce851
April 2, 2005, 12:10 PM
I too have been dissapointed with the buyout of Galyans.
My local Galyans wasn't the greatest when it came to firearms.. but they always had a nice selection of used handguns.. nice to look at until you saw the price. But that's what I expected. Then Dick's came in and really screwed them up.
They took that rustic outdoorsman feel and turned it into a stark highschool gym feel :barf:
Oh well I quit buying most goods locally anyway.
I'm sick of paying excessive school taxes that just go to "administration"

I have this theory about the decline of the retail customer experience.
Since a majority of our retailers are large corporate entities... we are living in a land that is 100% at the mercy of loyYaws
All the company policies that I have seen(from an employee perspective) from the multibillion dollar international corporations to the small local ran franchise. The bad policies that did nothing but piss employees off, or insult our intelligence were all based in fear of legal action by shister lawyers.
None of it is based in common sense and logic. They say its for the good of the company...
but take the example Dbl0Kevin gave.. he was hassled to replace customer service and customer relationship building (which has a HUGE umpact on future sales) with "higher productivity" as if nonstop product rotation is the end all and be all of good merchandising. There is a small amount of truth to rotating product by modifying displays and changing out endcaps with the seasons. But you don't choose it over building relationships with people.

I think that's why more and more of us find making this switch to doing most if not all our shopping online.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that spends extra time calculating local sales tax to shipping rates always looking for the best deal.

RangerHAAF
April 2, 2005, 12:37 PM
I live in the metro-Atlanta area and apparently the national conversion of Galyan's to Dick's has not gone as smoothly as possible. Fortunately, I have the Option of Shopping at Bass Pro Shops which is superior IMO to Dick's/Galyan's; to begin with Dick's is located in my town in a place called Buckhead. This is the wrong location for a shop like Dick's to be in; for those of you who know Atlanta this area is an upscale financial district where people will pay $200-300 for a pair of shoes and about $10.00 for a cup of coffee and a bagel and will think nothing of it.

I don't think that the store will last but maybe another 2-3 years where it's at especially with competition like Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's nationally; their demographics just aren't right. They may siphon off some of REI's customers but I may be wrong.

SDGlock23
April 2, 2005, 01:49 PM
There's a Dick's in Lexington. I've been there a few, but it's nothing to brag about...kinda sucks actually.

Antjo
April 2, 2005, 04:41 PM
Put it simply, I hate Dicks, they have nothing and noone ever is there to help you get something that they might actually have. Won't go there anymore. Galyans was 100 times better.

DSRUPTV
April 2, 2005, 05:17 PM
I went to the new Dick's in Charlotte beside South Park mall to get some ammo with a gift card that my girlfriend's mother had given me. I went upstairs to the hunting section and looked around for a little bit before going over to the counter. I asked the clerk if they had any 45-70 ammo and he said sure. He turned around and grabbed about five boxes of ammo for me to look at and choose from. Three were .45 acp and the other two were .45 long colt. Needless to say I wasn't imprerssed.

dfaugh
April 2, 2005, 07:46 PM
is good, we got one a while back. Galyan's was only fair to start with, not much better than the Dick's here, but my buddy got a couple good deals on used handguns...We stopped in one day, and .....no handguns. Was told by employee that since Dick's had bought them out, they couldn't sell handguns because, some time ago Dick's ran afoul of the BATF. THAT'S why they don't sell handguns....

Dan Morris
April 2, 2005, 08:40 PM
Galyans, in Denver metro area was NO prize...;....they would not honor ads
either...Dicks is even worse! We are getting a Cabellas very soon...can't wait!
No hand guns and no knowledge by employes!Tryed to buy 45ACP....idiot was telling me 45LC was the same...left, never to return.SW area Gart is not much better.
Dan
:banghead:

GRB
April 3, 2005, 05:26 PM
The sad thing about Dick's is that they apparently started out great. I think their first store was in Binghamton, NY (not the big one in the shopping cneter, the smaller on on the street whose name I cannot recall). Anyway it was probably their first NY store if not THE first store. They used to sell handguns, then stopped. They used to sell lots and lots of hunting and fishing accessories, then cut back some. They used to sell almost no yuppie kind of stuff and now sell lots of nylon short shorts, and multi colored sun glasses. I will say though, that when I have asked advice at Dicks in Binghamton, I always got a knowledeable person with a fairly good answer. They also had lots of whatever they stocked in stock, and if they did not you got a substitue or a rain check. I would rather they sell more of the stuff I like to see, but the truth is there are fewer and fewer young hunters, young shooters and young fishermen. Yeah they have a few ditzy salesclerks with attitudes if you ask about a gun or want to buy bullets, but usually the regular gun counter guys are pretty good.

Then they really started to expand and they bought out Galyans. Galyans was a dump as far as I am concerned. This is judging by the one they had near me, nice fancy store with lots of understocked shelves at most times, refusals to order rifles they did not have in stock {all I wanted was a Ruger 10/22}, refuusal to order ammo, and salesmen who out and out were boobs {I ask for .35 Remington, and the guy looks for it for 5 minutes, then tells me they do not stock it and cannot order it. He goes on to explain they have never had it in stock - yet he just looked for it for 5 minutes and; I know I bought it there the year before. He also goes on to say how odd a caliber it is and I'll have problems finding it anywhere. This guy now works at Dicks, ouch.}

Now Dick's is having to manage someone elses failed business and has kept the old employees (including the expert who told me all that bull about .35 remington, and I dealt with him yesterday on another matter and he is still a dope). Any lack of stock is probably due to poorly stocked shelves before the takeover and to growing pains while trying to acclimate the old Galyans employees to Dick's way of doing things. Sure Dick's may not sell handguns anymore and, they may not sell as many rifles and hunting suplies as they once did but, they still sell a lot of it and usually do a pretty good job at either of their Binghamton stores I have visited.

Give em a chance, they will probably improve. As for them ever again selling hanguns, maybe if enough people ask and show an interest.

All the best,
Glenn B

GRB
April 3, 2005, 06:25 PM
Ah, I know I just said give em a chance, bcause they will probably improve, but I also figured that a little shove might help a bit. I just sent them an email about my experience, yesterday, at their store in Garden City, NY.

Dear Dick's,

I have been a loyal Dick's customer now for well over 25 years. I regularly have shopped at your stores in Binghamton, NY. I started shopping at Dick's on Court Street many years ago when my uncle, who owned a farm near Binghamton recommended your store to me. I shop at Dick's primarily for firearms, ammunition, hunting accessories and fishing supplies. Until a few years ago, you unquestionably were the best retailer of these items I had ever encountered. Over the years though, your stores have changed. You sell less hunting accessories and less fishing supplies now, and more things for other sports. You also no longer sell any handguns.

Over those same years, your staff has become somewhat cool, if not antagonistic, toward the firearms enthusiast, hunter and, fisherman. This goes even for your original store on Court Street. It has detracted somewhat from the pleasure of doing business at your stores. Yet, even if not the best - as you once were, I usually have found what you sell to be a fairly good selection of the things in which I am interested - of course with the exception of handguns. Because you maintain a fair to good stock of items, and because not all of your salespeople seem discourteous to the firearms, hunting, fishing enthusiast – some remain very courteous, I keep returning to your stores time and time again.

My patronage of your stores once however very pleasurable, may soon come to an end. I recently visited your store at the Roosevelt Field mall in Garden City New York. This store used to be a Galyan's. I visited there yesterday and, I was shocked to see that the once poorly stocked shelves of Galyan's were now even worse off now that the store was a Dick's Sporting Goods store.

I shopped in the gun department only to find the area around the gun counter chocked full of fishing rod displays. This was strange as the section is quite a distance from the gun section yet it was so cluttered by fishing rod displays as to make it difficult to get to the gun counter. I was also pretty surprised to see that the rifle racks were about 1/2 empty. When I tried to inquire about a firearm with a salesman (who was apparently a retained Galyan's employee) we were interrupted by a manager who demanded to know why the clerk had not been answering the phone. When he explained because it had not rung recently (and I can attest to that after waiting for help for 10 minutes and hearing no phone) the manager took out a cell phone and dialed the number of the phone at the counter to hear it ring. She then started an argument with the clerk - this in front of me and my son and interrupting my inquiry. No excuse me sir, no pardon me folks, no sorry but I have to take care of this; she just talked in a nasty tone of voice to the salesclerk, implied he was a liar, then she stormed off in a huff.

The clerk just walked away from me and helped another customer as if he had totally forgotten about me. I was not involved in the encounter at all, but had been trying to order a rifle, a Ruger 10/22 All Weather which other Dick's stores sell regularly. It turned out when I finally got help I was told all the rifles that currently were in stock were all that would be stocked; no more could be ordered. I left quite disappointed.

I looked around at the aisles and the shelves and I was again disappointed. The aisles were in disarray. Empty boxes littering the floors, displays askew and out of place, many nearly empty shelves. I also went to the show department and found items all around on the floor. I could not believe this was a Dick's Sporting Goods Store.

I am hopeful that this mess was due to the store recently taking over Galyan's but, I am none too sure of this since, said store has been under the Dick's name for a while now. Hopefully you can do something to improve customer service and the quality and quantity of your stock at this store and other stores. Maybe it is time for you to remember who were your first customers and, maybe it is time to remember who were the customers that made you so successful over the years. They would be primarily those who were among other things: firearms, hunting and fishing enthusiasts. I am not saying to forget your other customers, but we deserve at least just as good as the others get. Nylon running shorts, T-Shirts, running shoes, seem to be overflowing the shelves – how about putting some more emphasis back into the firearms, hunting and fishing goods along with a bit more courteous customer service from your salesclerks.

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley

Ruger Redhawk
April 3, 2005, 06:29 PM
To my knowledge we don't have any Galyan's or Dick's down here in Florida. Reading these comments I'm glad we don't.I went in a Dick's in Cincinnati Oh. a few years back.I walked in looked around for maybe a couple minutes . I knew it wasn't a store for me. I've read other topics on another forum about Dick's/Galyans.If you look on www.anticcw.com you'll find Dick's listed. Granted these are individual stores. No my friends I wouldn't spend my last nickel at one of these anti gun stores.Hopefully when the word gets out Dick's will be a store of the past. Between here and other sites apparently the word is getting spread loud and clear.

Ruger Redhawk

rangemasta
April 4, 2005, 05:13 PM
Galyans was a lot better than Dicks, Dicks just bought Galyans in Minneapolis/St Paul Area. I am sick and tired of hearing those stupid Dicks employees saying "hello welcome to Dicks, Today we have blankity blank on sale for blankity blank. I DO NOT call that good customer service, every time I was approached by an employee they just kept saying this.

gm
April 4, 2005, 07:30 PM
If you dont like that place, theres a place in shelby, ohio called sportsmans den that has sales...lots of them. their recent flier,they have an april sale- they list a new in the box springfield gi model at 348.00. What Im getting at is go somewhere else, if I had been talking to a employee about a future sale and a manager came up and started jumping in the employees crap then Id be inclined to leave, to me it not only shows the managers ignorance but also is very rude.

GRB
April 4, 2005, 11:45 PM
gm,

Like I said in myletter to Dick's, I may not be a customer much longer. Now that my email has been marked as undeliverable, that may come about even sooner than I had expected. Apparently their customer service email link does not work. One more poor aspect of how they treat customers as of late.

All the best,
GB

arcticap
April 5, 2005, 02:59 AM
I have no problem with Dick's whatsoever. They have just doubled their # of stores from 2 to 4 in the past year. I have several to chose from close by. The 2 closest stores are always very well stocked with pallets of shotshells, ammo, safes, cases, guns, archery, hunting clothing etc...They made heavy investments in construction from an old K-Mart store and in a mall. They have always been decent and fair to me as a general customer so I can't complain. They help fit rings on guns, will show you guns, they b.s. about hunting with you and do most of the things that you would expect. None of this out of stock garbage around here. They have a niche market without pistols which they leave to the gunshops. I don't think anyone should shop where they are not happy, but the situation everywhere is different. In a hostile N.E. gun environment where the suburban folks have protested WalMart selling guns here, Dick's is willing to invest in jobs and the communities by offering items not readily available elsewhere especially at their prices. So, while I sympathize with all the folks affected by whatever takeover happened, it's just not the same situation everywhere or they would be out of business already.

airbornekyle1
April 6, 2005, 12:49 AM
You All Should Shop At Sports Authority! While They Dont Carry Hand Guns Its Only Because Of Insurance Policies With The Corporate Peopple. They Are All Pretty Knowledgeable And They Always Stop To Serve You With A Friendly Smile And Good Attitude!

Joe D
April 6, 2005, 06:15 AM
Most of the Dick's gun guys are waiting for the new Bass Pro and Cabelas to open.

FlyinGN
April 6, 2005, 06:42 AM
I've been happy at my local Dicks. Bought a few shotgun cases there and ammo is cheap enough. I go there knowing what I want so I have little interaction with the sales people tho.

Frank

mikeb3185
April 6, 2005, 07:54 AM
the short version:

i was going to be working right up untill i left for a hunt, and i got a new barrel for my nova. i had a scope but needed rings, at dick's if you bought rings they gave you a "free" mount and bore sight. this dicks (former galyins) was in a local mall so i left my gun there and did some shopping with my wife (MISTAKE #1) about 2hrs later i picked it up looked it over tooo quickly (MISTAKE #2) the next night i went to a local indoor gun range to fine tune the scope, i start shooting and i cannot hit the paper, the range owner seeing my distress tries, same problem. after looking over the scope he notices that they mounted it wrong!! (the adjustments were on the left side) so we came to the conclusion that the adjustments were over tightened and there fore broke the internal springs. so the morning before i left i returned everything to dicks and took it gander mountain and had it done right it was not free but worth it. scope was dead on.

lesson learned: YOU REALLY DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

NO MORE DICKS FOR ME

MIKE

GRB
April 6, 2005, 06:53 PM
Well AOL said my email to Dick's Customer Service was undeliverable, but now it looks as if it went through anyhow! Here is the reply they have sent me so far. Maybe they will actually into the problem. Maybe I should tell them about this forum, they would really have their eyes wide open after that -lol.

Dear Valued Customer,

You have contacted customer service for the Dick's Sporting Goods online
store. We will immediately forward your comments to the corporate
office that has responsibility for land-based store issues. They will
make every effort to respond within one business day. Thanks again for
your patience, and have a great day!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you and
thanks again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Customersupport@dickssportinggoods.com

For best service, please include this message with your reply.

Note: The corporate office Customer Support Department hours of
operation:

Monday - Friday (8:00AM - 6:00PM Est.)
Saturday - Sunday (10:00AM - 6:00PM Est.)

Our toll free phone number is 1-866-677-4771

Mixlesplick
October 2, 2005, 08:10 AM
I'll beat this dead horse a little. I was at Dick's yesterday looking for 165 gr. Hydra Shoks for the .40 S&W. I need new glasses so I couldn't read the box behind the counter. I asked "What are those?" and the guy said, "Those are 9mm Lugger." He pronounced it lugger. Hehehe. :p Definitely not a gun guy. I was mostly amused but all I could find there were low recoil Hydra Shoks. If anyone knows where I can buy 165 gr. Hydra Shoks or Golden Saber for my .40 S&W in West Michigan I sure would like in on the secret. I have looked at and called quite a few stores around here with no luck.

ruger270man
October 2, 2005, 12:35 PM
I dont like Gander mountain OR dicks. My favorite place by far, is this older guy that owns a little gun shop out in the boonies, about a half hour from my house.. the only people that know its there are true gun-nuts, and he likes it that way, so he doesnt get any yuppies off the highway coming in. But his prices are always unbeatable, always great service, and a very nice guy to talk to. :)

a9mmauto
October 2, 2005, 01:58 PM
We had a Galyans here in western NY and they sold handrguns at good prices dicks just sells rifles and shotguns mostly overpriced, now I know why they don't wait on you at the counter. @#$$%%$# BEAN COUNTERS :cuss:

Atticus
October 2, 2005, 02:08 PM
Dick's appears not to want any gun/hunting business. I'm happy to oblige.
I went in there last week over lunch (simply because I was in a rush to pick up some ammo). The guy stocking the shelves was really stressed about waiting on me (bears out the previous posts from ex employees). I wanted to buy four different calibers of ammo -but he only had time to hand me one box of .223 and then nervously told me he had to go back to stocking. He told me to just leave it on the counter if I didn't want it. I laid it down and left the store....then grudgingly went to Walmart....and that was another story of ineptitude. The first question out of the Walmart sporting goods clerk's mouth was, "How much does a gun cost to that shoots that .22 LR stuff?" Walmart did make me pay at the ammo counter...which is a blessing really. I'd much rather buy ammo online from Georgia Arms or Midway.
The difference in mark-up for CCI mini-mags between my local gun shop and Midway is about 50%. Screw em.

akluvr
October 2, 2005, 02:48 PM
I missed this thread the first time around but feel obligated to beat the dead horse too. I went to DICKS to pick up a gore-tex parka for work. I had to find someone to help me whick took about 5 minutes, the person I found was a manager. I asked where the gore-tex might be and he says, "Wow, you know that stuff is pretty expensive?". I told him that I was well aware of the costs, and that I would like to see some. Again he starts telling me that it is VERY expensive. I asked him if it was my appearance that was leading him to believe that I couldn't afford it or is he just an ass to everyone that walks through the door. I went to Galyans and had two people falling all over me to help me find the parka that worked best for my needs. It was a crushing blow to find out that money (DICK-S) won over service. Anyone know where you can pick up good hunting gear around central ohio that is reasonably priced and good service? Just looking for wind and water proof gear that works. I have an outlet for ammo and weapons, but it is a little thin around my area for clothing.

ssr
October 2, 2005, 03:28 PM
The Dicks near me recently got rid of all of their gun stuff. Got rid of all the guns, the ammo, the accessories, etc.

And not only that, but they are in a little mall with a few other shops and they hung a No Concealed Weapons sign on the front door.

rbernie
October 2, 2005, 04:46 PM
Seems to pretty much be the consensus - they suck. First they got rid of the nasty ol' handguns that Galyans had. Then they started paring down the rifles and the ammo. Of course, they got rid of anyone over the age of 25, and anyone under the age of 25 if they showed any intelligence at all.

They suck. I'd rather go to Academy if I need to hit a sporting goods chain.

Spot77
October 2, 2005, 05:04 PM
Only thing I buy at Dick's is ammo when it's ON SALE. Sometimes they'll run .380 and 38 special at $6.99 per 50. Seems like such a good deal that I think they have to be selling it as some type of loss-leader, which I don't mind one bit.

I'd never go there and pay full price for it.

5shot
October 2, 2005, 07:48 PM
Once upon a time..... my Dad took me to Dicks on Upper Court St. in Binghamton NY. I got my first .22, a Ruger with a revolutionary feature, a 10 shot rotary magazine. He even added a 4x weaver scope for an extra $11. The Ruger was $54.50. That was 1964 and I was 13. Still have it and it works as good as the day I got it.
Dicks has changed a lot since then.

blacksuit
October 2, 2005, 08:34 PM
Well I guess thats a good thing...lol. Picture this, A room full of fellow male employees sitting around a small office not realy doing much but burning time, A friend of mine notices a Dicks flier sitting on the table and exclaims really loud, " Man, I LOVE DICKS!" The whole rooms stares in disbelief and then starts laughing their asses off. Of course the replys of " We always new it " came for a while. :evil:

Atticus
October 2, 2005, 08:37 PM
Anyone know where you can pick up good hunting gear around central ohio that is reasonably priced and good service? Just looking for wind and water proof gear that works.

Gander Mountain in Reynoldsburg. Buckeye Outdoors has a great selection as well. They are out by Newark/Heath

Mnemesyne
October 2, 2005, 08:47 PM
If you don't mind the drive Ohio Valley Outdoors down in lancaster is nice...most of their people are gun enthusiasts themselves, so they tend to have a knowledgeable staff....and a good selection of ammo, gear and guns/rifles....they tend to run some decent sales every now and then as well...

motoman
October 3, 2005, 03:04 AM
I went into a Dick's in Minnesota, I was looking for a Beretta Storm. The guy at the gun counter told me they couldn't sell those type of guns because it required a different kind of FFL. I had to call B.S., but that was the story he was sticking with. I have given up on Dick's. We have a Sportsman's Warehouse here, so I don't have any further use for Dick's.

akluvr
October 3, 2005, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the gear info fellow Ohioans! I'll take a look at these.

Northslope Nimrod
October 3, 2005, 10:48 AM
Dicks is gutless, gunless girly-men store!

fletcher
October 3, 2005, 02:35 PM
Last time I went to Dick's was to purchase some black powder. Unable to find it, we ask the man behind the counter with the firearms. He hands me a box of muzzle loader bullets. I say, "Those are just bullets for a muzzle loader, I'm looking for black powder." His response? "The powder is inside."

Unfortunately left the store surprised and empty-handed :p

JohnBT
October 3, 2005, 04:13 PM
Dick's always has Remington ear plugs (my favorite) in stock and at a pretty good price, too. I like buying their end of season sale clothing and now it won't be so much of a pain to do it because there's a Dick's next door to the new Orvis store. Orvis store => bring money, lots and lots of money. Yeah, like I really need a $79 button-down shirt and a $199 bath robe. ;)

Dick's sold me a case of 28 ga. AAHS for $4.49 a box, but that was a one-time accident.

John

dman4384
October 3, 2005, 05:31 PM
I heard that DIcks and Big Lots are going to merge...

The new store is going to be called Big Dicks..

akluvr
October 3, 2005, 05:34 PM
That my friend was a much needed laugh. And fitting.

CAPTAIN MIKE
October 4, 2005, 09:11 AM
It's pitiful. Gaylan's used to be a pretty darn good place to shop. But since Dick's Sporting Goods took it over, it's just not the same. Too bad.

Boss Spearman
October 4, 2005, 09:31 AM
I didn't like the place the moment they took over Galyans. They went from being cool to being uptight about everything concerning firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dick's Sporting Goods...I don't like it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!