Do you have a name for your gun?

PDA

outfieldjack
March 12, 2003, 01:55 PM
So, we all love our guns..... I was wondering how many of us have pet names for our "pieces?" And if you have a name for your gun, how/why did you chose it?

I have a KT P-32. Since some consider it a "mouse" gun, I named mine "Mr. Jingles" in honor of the mouse from "The Green Mile."

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a name for your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Soap
March 12, 2003, 02:04 PM
Nope. For me, names are for people and pets.

Missouri Mule
March 12, 2003, 02:07 PM
I call mine (of the moment) "Fluffy" It's snuggly soft.........:neener:

It is an oxymoron . Fluffy but will hurt you if need be!

I think I may have seen something similar on a tv commercial or somewhere. :D

DeltaElite
March 12, 2003, 02:14 PM
That is so warped.

Just wait til Mr Glock hears about this, that's the generic name for all of my Glocks. ;)
Just don't tell Mr Delta that I talk to Mr Glock, he would get jealous. ;)

itgoesboom
March 12, 2003, 03:10 PM
My mossberg 500 was nicknamed by my friends, they called it "Ol' Bessy". My Ruger Blackhawk was nicknamed "Old Rose" by a former co-worker after he saw some photographs i took of it with a rose next to it.

I don't have a name for my Bersa or my SKS, so maybe i need to talk to my old friends again, and see what they come up with.

I.G.B.

Tamara
March 12, 2003, 03:11 PM
No.

(...and if you can't tell through the monitor, I'm lookin' real funny at you right now. :scrutiny: )

Onslaught
March 12, 2003, 03:29 PM
My USP45 is affectionately referred to as...

WI-NO-NA!

(I'm a Farscape fan http://images.bravenet.com/brpics/smilie/alien.gif )

None of the others have names... It's just that, with the UTL attached, it does remind me...
http://perriverse.dreamhost.com/farscape/gifs/images/starburst11.jpg

Okiecruffler
March 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
My SKS is named "the Money Pit"

10-Ring
March 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
Nope, no names for any of mine. I tried that once, but everytime I picked up a gun, it had a different name. I guess I could name them all "Spot" :D Like George Foreman named all his kids George :D

BigG
March 12, 2003, 04:03 PM
Mr. Nine Emem. Apologies to Samuel L. Jackson!!

bogie
March 12, 2003, 04:06 PM
Humphrey.

I don't name my weapons.

pax
March 12, 2003, 04:20 PM
My carry gun is named "Miss Anne Thrope," but I usually refer to her simply as Miss Anne.

When my shooting buddy bought himself a matching gun, he named his gun "Sir Jury."

The kids' battered old .22 Marlin is "the wizard."

If we've named any of the other guns that wander through here, I don't remember the names...

pax

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers

Nathaniel Firethorn
March 12, 2003, 04:23 PM
Just wait til Mr Glock hears about this, that's the generic name for all of my Glocks.Funny, that's what my wife calls my G19.

My USP is "Der Heckler." I take it out to heckle targets.

- pdmoderator

We'll go dancing with Mister Slabside...

Skunkabilly
March 12, 2003, 04:30 PM
Nina, Bambi, Daisy, Henrietta and Grace for my Beretta, Benelli, M1A, USP45C and P7M8 respectively.

Banjo's named Pokey.

DeltaElite
March 12, 2003, 04:31 PM
I call my Remington 870 that I use for work Remy.
"C'mon Remy, we got bad guys to shoot."
"Ok Daddy, let's go."
:neener:

geekWithA.45
March 12, 2003, 04:32 PM
Sig P245 = Brunhilde: Swiss, Efficient, and a tad Severe
Sig 226 = Jessica: She's so durned friendly
Bushie Dissipator = Gugnir, the Spear of Oden
M1A = Mjolnir, the Hammer of Thor

uh, I guess I'm a freak.

scottgun
March 12, 2003, 04:35 PM
A friend calls his AR-15 dubya for short,
George W. Bushmaster is the full name.

My 12 ga. Remington 870, with extended mag tube and pistol grip has become known as "the captain" before I had a case for it, I would keep it in a camp chair bag with the words captains chair on the outside. It works having nick names, if there is ever a sign of trouble, all you need to say is "better call the captain."

T.Stahl
March 12, 2003, 04:46 PM
Well, I call my guns simply MY Glock, MY Enfield and MY SL8. ;)

Blackhawk
March 12, 2003, 04:48 PM
Mine came with names from the factories, so that's what I call them or some diminutive thereof.

BamBam
March 12, 2003, 05:16 PM
I have a KT P-32. Since some consider it a "mouse" gun, I named mine "Mr. Jingles" in honor of the mouse from "The Green Mile."
I don't name my guns but "Mr. Jingles" is too good!

May I use it, Outfieldjack?

Thanks,
BamBam

clown714
March 12, 2003, 05:18 PM
whatever i happen to have on

seems to be called "betsy"

don't have an explanation,i'm just

silly like that:neener:

clown

MountainPeak
March 12, 2003, 05:39 PM
I do not name my firearms, but I do call the contraptions I store them in "safes".

PvtPyle
March 12, 2003, 05:40 PM
I call my .50 "AT&T" for two reasons. The obvious, and then to "get back" at AT&T for their anti-gun policies, even though it was their paychecks that paid for it.:D

JeanC
March 12, 2003, 05:45 PM
My Ruger Blackhawk is Teddy and my Ruger Vacquero is Eleanor :D My 12g coach gun is Ol' Betsy and my lever action rifle still hasn't settled on a name yet. I usually refer to her a Lil'bit when I'm thinking about it.

thumbtack
March 12, 2003, 05:54 PM
I have never named any of my guns before. I think I will start by naming my Glock 19 Yohan. :neener:

Skunkabilly
March 12, 2003, 06:05 PM
I think I will start by naming my Glock 19 Yohan

LOL! After the character from The Smurfs or our very own Texan? :D

CZ 75 BD
March 12, 2003, 06:15 PM
is Little Blue. The CZ 75 BD is "The Czech"

thumbtack
March 12, 2003, 06:22 PM
Skunk,

I named it after our very own Yohan, since he loves them so much.

cool45auto
March 12, 2003, 07:12 PM
"Blackie" for my Beretta, "Scar" for my roughed up SKS, "Big 'un" for my Ruger, "Lil' bit" for my Kel-tec.

bad_dad_brad
March 12, 2003, 08:00 PM
Yes, I name certain guns. Girl's names, in the tradition of the U.S. Marines. My AR-15 is Charlene. My Win 94 .30-30 is Wendy. My SP101 .38 is Cheri. But I have a lot of guns I don't name. She has to be something special to me, usually invoking some kind of fond memory.

cratz2
March 12, 2003, 08:24 PM
Hannah

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//SSSpringfield3.jpg

Making this, Hannah and her sisters. :p

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//1911%20Collection%202.jpg

dude
March 12, 2003, 09:24 PM
hell yes!
I have named a few of them:

P7M8- Mr P

IMI Baby Eagle compact 9- LJ (little jew)

Dan Wesson 6" compensated .357mag- Big Dan

Dan Wesson 6" compensated .44mag- Fat Bastard (same as the one he was waving around in the 2nd movie)

Dan Wesson 4" .357mag- little dan

SKS- NJ (never jams)

.308 Garand- The Beast

.308 Styer Mauser- The Nazi

Jesse H
March 12, 2003, 10:17 PM
Hannah...

Making this, Hannah and her sisters.

Hey, my gun is named Hannah. Actually it's Hannah Sandra.

Hannah ~ Grace of God
Sandra ~ Defender of man

It was the first gun I bought myself, and my first CCW. It's the only one I bothered to name, but it's helpful cuz people that know I carry, can just discreetly say,

"Hannah?"

and I can respond w/a reassuring nod. If I don't happen to be carrying the HS, I'll just say "sister."

Crimper-D
March 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
My Viking shortsword came with it's name already inscribed (in Anglo Saxon Runic alphabet) = "Begoth" & NO, I don't know what it means :rolleyes:
My battleaxe is called "ShieldKiller" :cool:
I named My Bowieknife myself... But ain't putting it down where kids might read it:evil:

Hutch
March 12, 2003, 10:43 PM
Rarely, but sometimes. I recently picked up a 3" M629 .44mag that for some reason seems to be named "Babe". When asked by a friend if it was a blue ox, I informed him it was named for the cute little piggie.

Kahr carrier
March 12, 2003, 10:48 PM
Nope no name for my gun.:)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 13, 2003, 02:31 AM
a few of mine have names...

BHP- John M.....obviously.

P229- Roscoe, after the wife's father's term of endearment for his pistol of the day and for a wonderfully huge but scarily unpredictable black Lab/Rottweiler cross I took in for awhile.

Blackhawk in .30 Carbine- the Hog Gun.

the Garand is respectfully The Garand.

All the Swedish Mausers are referred to fondly as the Squareheads.

The HsC is Rolf.

anything .30 caliber or larger in a rifle is Thumper.

anything smaller that .30 caliber in any rifle is Flyswatter.

The short Mossy 500 is Housewarmer.

Regards,
Rabbit.

They've got us surrounded again, the poor bastards. - General Creighton W. Abrams.

They slept with their shining shields at the edge
Of their pillows; the hall was filled with hemets
Hanging near motionless heads; spears
Stood by their hands, their hammered mail shirts
Covered their chests. It was the Dane's custom
To be ready for war, wherever they rested,
At home or in foreign lands, at their lord's
Quick call if he needed them, If trouble came
To their king. They knew how soldiers must live.
- Beowulf, c. 900 AD.

SquirrelNuts
March 13, 2003, 02:48 AM
I have refered to guns as...Glock as Gaston, H&K USP as Mr. Heckler, 91/30 as Mr. Mossin. That was for "tactical" reasons though. Asking someone if they have their Glock on them in public sounds worse than "Did Gaston come?"

I started making a list. I like the girl's names idea, but lesse what happens.

Mossberg 500-Social Worker
Maverick 88 (turkey gun)-Tom

Glock 17-Gaston
Raven P-25-Mouse
Buckmark-?
SA 1911A1 (9mm)-Mr. 9mm

Garand-Jennifer
MN 91/30-Rooskie Rifle
Rem 700 .30-06-Bambi (hehe)
AR-7-?
Marlin 880SQ-The Squirrel
Marlin 882SS-?
SKS-Katie
SKS-Emily

I have more, but this was a quick ist.

-SquirrelNuts

Big_R
March 13, 2003, 06:42 AM
I haven't named any of my firearms, however my wife calls my motorcycle "the mistress". I tell her that fits because at least I can ride my bike.

Ryan

ruger357
March 13, 2003, 06:52 AM
No.

Archie
March 13, 2003, 06:56 AM
I name the personal ones.

1911 45 ACP is "John Moses".
M 38 Swede is "Ole".
1917 revolver is "Bill", after the best revolver shooter in the known universe.

There's others, but not all have names. And I don't remember all of them anymore anyhow.

mrstang01
March 13, 2003, 07:43 AM
Not usually, but my 4" 29 is named Elmer after it's creator.

280PLUS
March 13, 2003, 08:00 AM
now that you got me thinkin' about it, my sweetie inadvertantly dubbed my xm15 the "bushwacker" and that one kinda stuck and then i sometimes refer to my 332 as smitty or schmitty or mr schmidt depending on my mood, as in "say hello to schmitty" then hmmmm...let's see...my hi power is "the nine" .

i think the rest go by they're given names and haven't aquired nicknames as of yet. i'll work on it though. i doubt if any of them would stand for being called "mr jingles" however.

:barf:

lol

Scooter .45
March 13, 2003, 08:13 AM
My parkerized 1911A1 Springfield Milspec .45 is "Gus." No particular reason, it just seems to fit.

outfieldjack
March 13, 2003, 08:17 AM
QUOTE: I think the rest go by they're given names and haven't aquired nicknames as of yet. i'll work on it though. i doubt if any of them would stand for being called "mr jingles" however.

Well, it IS just a .32 so he can't complain too much. The Browning .380 BDA and the Glock 22 don't even have names...... YET :p

rick458
March 13, 2003, 08:43 AM
Stanley 5"Stainless MKIV ser 80 STS COLT
CC Colt 1991a1 Commander
Rose Kimber Stainless II with rosewood grips

BOB BILLY and BART got stolen

Mastrogiacomo
March 13, 2003, 08:57 AM
My Inox Beretta is Triddu and the Black is Giuliano -- Hell, they're Italian after all.:neener: :D :D

stevelyn
March 13, 2003, 09:10 AM
My K2:
SIR! THE WEAPON"S NAME IS EVELYN. SIR!

Most of the time I call her E-2 for short. Irritates the :fire: :evil: out of it's namesake.

stevelyn
March 13, 2003, 09:16 AM
My K2:
SIR! THE WEAPON"S NAME IS EVELYN. SIR!

Most of the time I call her E-2 for short. Irritates the :fire: :evil: out of it's namesake.

buzz_knox
March 13, 2003, 09:30 AM
Boomstick.

45R
March 13, 2003, 10:19 AM
Remington 870 = Uncle Jesse

JohnBT
March 13, 2003, 11:28 AM
Never even thought of naming a gun. Novel idea, but just one more thing to remember. Oh well, to each their own.

Anybody name their computer? Their cell phone? Just wondering.

John

buzz_knox
March 13, 2003, 11:31 AM
Yup, I name a lot of stuff.

Computer=obsolete (200mhz piece of crud)

Cell phone=cheap

Cell service=crappy (Cingular sucks in this area. Wish I'd known that before meeting a very hot sales person).

Apartment=pig sty (hey, I've been working a lot!)

Searching for a good house=futile

Social life=car wash (i.e. touchless).

KMKeller
March 13, 2003, 11:59 AM
The only weapon I have that has a name is my Beretta 21A. My son has dubbed it "itty bitty bang bang".

Yohan
March 13, 2003, 12:05 PM
Gah! I'd rather have a fork jammed up my eye than have a *gag* GLOCK be named after me. Wait no no no- I'll take the second- I like my eye :D

Viking6
March 13, 2003, 12:09 PM
What was that name Jay of Jay and Silent Bob used for his girlfriend.......BooBoo Kitty Something? Seriously, it's hard enough coming up with names for children, pets and imaginary friends much less for guns.

280PLUS
March 13, 2003, 02:09 PM
news alert, they all suck, so don't feel so bad, you shoulda had worldcom when they went out, hooboy!!

:cuss:

280PLUS
March 13, 2003, 02:16 PM
i forgot my kid was checking out my friends .50 BMG rifle and round and decided it should be renamed the .50 BAR for

"Big *** Round"

can i say *** around here?

oops, did it again...

:neener:

well,,,that answers THAT question...

:D

FPrice
March 13, 2003, 02:30 PM
I have two.

One is called Mr. Smith.

The other is called Mr. Wesson.

spacemanspiff
March 13, 2003, 02:37 PM
the only gun i'd name *might* be the Mauser.... and only because its a bolt action. that sig line that says "Oh bother" said Pooh as he chambered another round, so i think i'd call the Mauser: Winnie.

3hounds
March 13, 2003, 04:02 PM
I also named two and one is a mauser and one is a Mosin Nagant.

The first is a turkish mauser named " Texas Turk ". The reason being i bought it over the net from a guy in virginny and i live in PA.He sent it to texas by mistake so i named her "The Texas Turk ".

The second i named " The Puke Stik ". It's a mod. 91 that i put a A.T.I. scope mount kit and bolt handle on it.I look at it now and feel like pukeing knowing what i have done to it.It's works great but i should have left it alone.The bolt handle loks like crap and i will never ruin another collector military rifle again by sporterizing it.Or what ever you call what i did to it.

That's my story 3 out.

scottgun
March 13, 2003, 04:10 PM
My computer has a name and an IP address, my gun just has a name.

coonan357
March 13, 2003, 06:42 PM
Names for my guns not from me.., my friends call the coonan the cannon ( flames and noise ) and my p6-45 the paperweight because its on top of all the papers on my desk . and yes the house s a pigsty ( construction or is that destruction ??)

hawk0484
March 13, 2003, 06:46 PM
Since I am the only female in the household (hubby, 3 sons, male dog), I gave my weapons girl names to even up the population:

Ruger .22~~Ethel
Taurus model 85~~Jane
S&W model 60~~Rosie
S&W model 65~~Lucy or Bertha...I just got her today!

shepsan
March 14, 2003, 05:30 PM
Until I held my new project gun in my hands I had thought that naming guns was kind of childish. That first time, the name Black Beauty sprung into my mind.

Take a look and tell me what you would call it.

FPrice
March 14, 2003, 06:53 PM
"Take a look and tell me what you would call it."

One fine-lookin' firearm!

4 eyed six shooter
March 14, 2003, 10:21 PM
My much upgraded Series 70 Colt 45 that I have carried for 20 years is named "Ol Loud Mouth". Like my American Express, I never leave home without Ol Loud Mouth.
It ain't heavy, it's my 45. :D :) ;)

Hand_Rifle_Guy
March 15, 2003, 12:38 AM
If a gun is sufficeintly unique, a name is not inappropriate. That being said, I've yet to assign a name to any of my guns. Other people do that.

Case in point: The ADC Model 8, chambered for 7.62 x 39. ADC had to obtain a reamer to build it, and they said it was the only one.

Recoil is a bit snappish, to say the least. Bright, loud muzzle-blast.

Has happened more than once where someone will shoot it twice, carefully put it down, refuse to touch it again, and exclaim: "That thing's a MONSTER!!" + :cuss:

I suppose it fits. It DOES bite, but has yet to draw blood, from either end. I also call it my Pocket Double Rifle, but no-one else does. :rolleyes:

Pic is one I swiped from American Derringer (http://www.amderringer.com/first.html) and crudely re-sized to life-size for a different project. A bit fuzzy, but the size is precise when I hold the actual gun in front of it on my screen.

12.7x99mm
March 15, 2003, 12:46 AM
no.... but my girl friend does

:D

Andrew Wyatt
March 15, 2003, 01:42 AM
I call my 1911 Government model in .45 ACP "sting.", because the sights glow when goblins are near.

spacemanspiff
March 15, 2003, 09:52 PM
Take a look and tell me what you would call it.

rudolph the red-sighted reindeer?

shepsan
March 15, 2003, 10:06 PM
Spacemanspiff, not bad. Not right. but not bad at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a name for your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!