A Couple New Shooters

PDA

viking87
March 28, 2005, 06:05 PM
I had the pleasure of taking two of the girls from my youth group shooting the other day. One's uncle also came along as he is an experienced shooter and was a great guy to deal with. Anyway, one of the girls had been begging me to take her shooting for a while, and this was the first opportunity I'd had (my range was closed). The other, though, was the last person I'd expect to even be interested. She is one of those who is freaked out by everything and was convinced that guns were scary.

I brought two .22's and a 16ga pump. Made sure we all had proper safety equipment and understood the Four Rules and then it was time to shoot. I shot first to show them what the shot sounded like and that one doesn't get pounded by recoil. We started them with three shot turns on my scoped Marlin 81 bolt action. Both were pretty good shots for their first time out. I let them get a taste of iron sights with my older Stevens bolt. After shooting paper for a while we switched to steel plate targets; both enjoyed the ping of bullets hitting steel. Let them try a couple of rounds with the 16, nothing too heavy.

Both were anxious to go again sometime and the second one, who was apprehensive at first, called home and informed her mother that she wanted a gun. :D Sweet success.... two new shooters added to the fold.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Couple New Shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cortez kid
March 28, 2005, 09:41 PM
Good job. We must keep the new blood circulating. Be careful, by teaching these kids responsibility, accuracy, reliability and dedication in a controlled environment, you may be accused of mind control from those who believe in mtv, loose liberalism, and the decay of morals.
good shootin
kid

Texas Gun Runner
March 28, 2005, 09:59 PM
Great job! I love hearing stories about new shooters' first times at the range. Another future anti-gunner bites the dust! :D

DSRUPTV
March 28, 2005, 10:10 PM
Glad you had a good time, and congrats on intoducing some new people to shooting.

Beetle Bailey
March 28, 2005, 10:56 PM
Sounds like you did good work. I just introduced a guy to rifles a few weeks ago myself.

Standing Wolf
March 28, 2005, 11:08 PM
Good for you and the lassies one and all!

If you enjoyed reading about "A Couple New Shooters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!