went to get my new gun and..

PDA

mister hankey
March 28, 2005, 08:38 PM
my Dad went with me and took a old 1911 we have had for awhile and were buying some ammo to go shoot and the guy looks at the gun says we probly shouldnt be shooting it cause its old and goes to get his book we then find out that its a 1918 US army Colt and worth around $3500 :what: in perfect condition. my dad bought this gun when he had his pawn shop for $300 and just let it sit around. although the gun itsnt in perfect conditon( the previous owner tried to make a pimp gun by removing the blued finsh and adding pearl grips) :cuss: :fire: so we left it up there to be cleaned and plan on trading it in for a rock rivers m-4 they have sitting up there or we might just sell it but i am now goin threw all my guns and looking to see how much my peices of junk guns i vever use are worth.

and if any one knows were a good place to find a person that is into older guns please let me know.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "went to get my new gun and.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeIsaj
March 28, 2005, 08:59 PM
"and if any one knows were a good place to find a person that is into older guns please let me know."

You're here!

Chupacabra
March 29, 2005, 02:50 AM
Whoa! :what:

That's awesome dude!

I would hold on to that thing if I were you.

:D

mbs357
March 29, 2005, 04:06 AM
Whoa!

trapperjohn
March 29, 2005, 07:31 AM
did the guy trying to pimp it out actually remove the blued finish? If so, its only worth a few hundred.
the $3,500 quote would only be for a gun in very good condition with most of its original finish still intact, and with al original parts.

thatguy
March 29, 2005, 09:01 AM
I agree. Any modification from 100% original results in rapid and drastic reduction in value. Collectors want pristine guns and they are hard to find and that's what makes it worth $3500. If it has ben buffed to bare metal it might be worth $500-$800.

spacemanspiff
March 29, 2005, 01:22 PM
plan on trading it in for a rock rivers m-4 they have sitting up there or we might just sell it but i am now goin threw all my guns and looking to see how much my peices of junk guns i vever use are worth.
{shakes head, rubs eyes}
huh???? you're going to trade a piece of american history for a RR m4gery?

mr.trooper
March 29, 2005, 03:06 PM
No, he is going to trade a mangled up De-hisorified gun for an m-4gery.

If it was in MINT condiditon, id sell it and buy a butt-load of new guns,...but since the previous owner robed it of all its monetary AND historical value, id say trade it for something you like.

Clean97GTI
March 29, 2005, 03:17 PM
I'd keep it and try to restore it. While that won't make it "original," it will at least return the look of the gun. You could also send it to a 1911 pistol smith and let them freshen things up.

If its not original anymore, at least make it a nice shooter...or trade it for a new 1911.

spacemanspiff
March 29, 2005, 03:33 PM
all it needs to LOOK like its original is some OG grips and have it reblued. true, it wont be worth as much as it could be if it was 100% OG, but it'd still look the part.

MilsurpShooter
March 29, 2005, 05:26 PM
I'd keep it and turn it back to the way it's supposed to be. a Re-done 1918 is better then having no 1918 at all....

Still my favorite gun and if I was 21 i'd pitch you an offer in a heartbeat lol

mister hankey
March 29, 2005, 05:41 PM
i left the gun up at the store to get sonic cleaned and the guy said he kind of shine it up alittle for us. even though its not worth the full price i think a couple hundred bucks for a gun that we barrley shoot is good.the only thing i dont like is that this is the only 45 that we have so im probly just goin to get it all sparkely and then lock it up for awhile. and im still alitle pissed that some person who most likely got this gun from there grandpa tried to pimp it out :fire: and then decided to sell it . but my dad only paid $300 for it so there loss is my gain :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "went to get my new gun and.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!