Competition grips

PDA

Ironworker
March 29, 2005, 01:12 AM
Hi all,

Ive been lurking around for a while, and finally decided to throw my $2/100 into the pot.

I recentally acquired from a family member an older (1940's vintage, I think) S&W K22. It is in fairly good condition, and I was thinking about using it as a trainer for some longer distance shooting practice. Say, in the 75-100yard neighborhood.

The old Pachmyer grips are disintegrating, and given my intended use, I've thought about getting some of the spiffy orthopaedic grips as are on the european-friendly competition pistols. I've googled the subject, and have a few names, but they seem to make very nice and expensive per order. I am wondering/hoping that there's a company out there that makes something an off-the-shelf version. I have seen the examples by Hoague, Miculek and so forth; I am curious about what else is out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Competition grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sprout
April 3, 2005, 01:07 PM
I've heard good things about Herrett Stocks, although I have no personal experience. I was going to geta pair for the M17 I just got, but decided to get a Lasergrip instead. They sure are pretty though.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23393

http://www.herrett-stocks.com/album.htm

Ironworker
April 3, 2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks. This is what I was looking for, but the prices...

testar77
April 4, 2005, 12:03 AM
A lot of competition shooters make their own grips with an A B compound so that it is completely for your hand only. It is 2 sticks about 3/4" in diameter that you mix together and put directly on the gun, it remains plyable for a long period of time so that you can shape it, add or remove to fit you, then once you get it close you let it harden you go to work with the dremel tool and fine tune it. It is not the prettiest grip but it will be perfect for your hand. If you are ever at any national matches you will be suprised at how many you will see. But the best part is you can build it for $10-$15. I know a couple of people that I shoot Bullseye and Duello with that have shoe boxes of orthepedic grips and switched to this method because it is custom for your hand and your hand only. At least check into it before you spend up to $200 on some orthepedics! :eek:

Good luck and happy shooting!

If you enjoyed reading about "Competition grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!