Prank Has Pennsylvania Officers Surround Truck with Guns Drawn

PDA

Drizzt
March 29, 2005, 12:28 AM
Prank Has Pennsylvania Officers Surround Truck with Guns Drawn

ASSOCIATED PRESS

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Four police officers surrounded a truck with guns drawn after a witness reported a possible kidnapping, but the incident turned out to be a fraternity prank.

The six people in the truck were being handcuffed Friday afternoon when police learned that the ''kidnapping'' was a prank, State College police Sgt. Mark Argiro said.

All six were released by police by Friday afternoon, and charges were being considered for the four men who carried out the phony abduction, police said. The other two occupants of the van were the ''kidnap'' victims.

The response came after police got a call around 11:30 a.m. Friday from someone who reported seeing a man bound with duct tape being taken from the trunk of a car behind Premiere Theatres. The witness told police the man was then put into the truck.

Argiro said some of the men faced underage drinking citations because there was alcohol involved and some of the participants were under 21.

http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=22552

If you enjoyed reading about "Prank Has Pennsylvania Officers Surround Truck with Guns Drawn" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheFederalistWeasel
March 29, 2005, 10:11 AM
I guess this one will be the cops fault too...

:rolleyes:

El Tejon
March 29, 2005, 10:13 AM
You mean alcohol was involved in a case of alleged Aggravated Criminal Stupidity? I AM shocked, shocked I say! :D

Daemon688
March 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
The question is why did they do this "prank"?

TechBrute
March 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
guess this one will be the cops fault too... Yeah, cuz cops never do ANYTHING wrong. :rolleyes: What does this have to do with the thread?

The question is why did they do this "prank"? Because they are drunk frat boys. Need I say more?

mete
March 29, 2005, 10:53 AM
'fraternity prank' there are lots of those that end up with people dead or maimed .

armabill
March 29, 2005, 11:27 AM
They should be arrested. The cops have better things to do.

TheFederalistWeasel
March 29, 2005, 11:38 AM
What does this have to do with the thread?

Lately it seems to have everything to do with nearly all threads which involve other peoples stupidity, where the cops are called or get involved thru other means such as the cop discovering the incident while just on patrol.

Cops react to what the see at the time, or based on the information they have and it turns out to be either somebody’s autistic 17-year-old male trying to open the back door to a total strangers hours at 2AM, then running at the police after they discover him, or this case of institution of lower learning behavior gone borderline Darwin and the cops are called to a possible kidnapping in progress and respond by pulling everyone out of the vehicle at gun point.

Just a matter of time before the armchair commandos and uber tactical types here come barging in blaming it all on the cops over reaction and a propensity to draw weapons before all the facts are known.

:(

TechBrute
March 29, 2005, 11:48 AM
Well, I suggest you wait to see if that happens, as I'd like to see who can stretch this into being the cops' fault.

iiibdsiil
March 29, 2005, 11:51 AM
It's the cops fault!

I just wanted to be the first to say it. :D

50 Freak
March 29, 2005, 04:24 PM
Darn Cops!!!!!!!!!! They should be held responsible for the stupidity of those Frat guys. :cuss: :cuss:

In all actuality, the Frat House should be made responsible for payment for the lost of those LEO's time. As because of their member's stupidity, the public lost money by having the local PD waste their time and resources.

It always comes down to: make it hurt in the wallet.

Standing Wolf
March 29, 2005, 05:05 PM

Not enough homework to keep them busy, probably.

45Badger
March 29, 2005, 06:58 PM
Young and dumb! I was a pledge in 1980-81 at a rural college in central Pennsyltucky. Frat parties were only social life in town (aside from tipping cows). They called this a "pledge drop" at the time. "Brothers" kidnapped a few of us, left us in assorted towns about 20 miles away from school in our boxers. A sympathetic Sheriff's deputy gave me a ride home after some poor/nice woman reported that I'd been dropped in a grocery store parking lot. Seemed amusing at the time. Looking back it was pretty stupid.

I was kicked out of the frat before the school year ended. I guess I didn't play well enough with others (or appropriately suck up to upperclassmen). I was mortified at the time, but getting tossed out was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me that year!

nordaim
March 29, 2005, 08:04 PM

A buddy of mine's fraternity performed this kind of "ritual" every year during the last week of pledging. It was the responsibility of the pledges to kidnap everyone of the brothers, load them into a moving truck, and then drive them to a random location more than 4 hours away from the college. The brothers would then be lead out of the van and the pledges would drive away. The brothers then had to make it back to campus in time for finals, the following Monday.

P95Carry
March 29, 2005, 08:30 PM
Dawson - glad you ''escaped'' and ''saw the light'' LOL! :p

TFW - fear not - there will be (guaranteed) those that will jump heavy on anything, if not everything, where ''cop'' comes into the equation. You will get blame, chagrin, just general dirt thrown. One of the reasons is (can be) that folks do not think outside of the box ... their box - not realizing the hazards extant in your work.

My one major experience with ''frat guys'' was probably the closest I have gotten to committing an ''armed transgression'' LOL!! Any ''ex'' frat folks here - sorry - not aimed at you. ;)

Dannyboy
March 30, 2005, 10:19 AM
make it hurt in the wallet.
One problem with that. It's probably not gonna be their wallets being hurt.

10 Ring Tao
March 30, 2005, 10:44 AM
I guess this one will be the cops fault too...

If chages are pressed in what was obviously an innocent prank (we kidnapped our own fraternity brothers all the time), then yes, abso-F'ing-lutely.

Skunkabilly
March 30, 2005, 11:28 AM
Not enough homework to keep them busy, probably.

I don't know about that. I had more than enough homework to keep me busy, I just didn't do much of it :evil:

Spreadfire Arms
March 30, 2005, 07:38 PM
when i was a police officer in CA there was a similar incident. guy was walking to his car in a parking structure of a shopping mall. two guys come up, grab him from behind, and throw him in the trunk of a car. car speeds off. camera gets license plate #.

mall security reports it to PD. license plate returns to an address in a nearby city. SWAT team en route for a possible kidnapping cuz an unmarked car rolled by the house a little bit later and saw the suspect vehicle parked out front.

this was going to be a high-risk, no-knock, flash-bang-the-hell-out-of-everything raid......

then.....they rolled by again and noticed a bunch of cars there. and a bunch of people inside the house. having a party. a birthday party. a surprise birthday party for you guessed it, the guy who got stuffed in the trunk! :)

wow. imagine if they didn't roll by a second time and figure that out. can you imagine the stories that would have been told after THAT party!

If you enjoyed reading about "Prank Has Pennsylvania Officers Surround Truck with Guns Drawn" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!