Bullet hits (stupid) man in groin

PDA

MaterDei
March 29, 2005, 07:03 PM
Why am I not surprised that this happened at 4:30 am to a 27 year old who apparently lives with his mom. :banghead: If this guy had been shooting at something larger he might have been a prime candidate for the Darwin Awards.

http://www.saljournal.com/content/2-0-/module/displaystory/story_id/4945/format/html/displaystory.html

Bullet hits Delphos man in groin
Monday, March 28, 2005 11:19 am

Man said he was shooting at a bullet, which exploded when hit

By SHARON MONTAGUE
Salina Journal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A man using a pellet rifle to shoot at a .22-caliber shell ended up with bullet fragments in his groin early Sunday.

Michael Lewis, 27, Delphos, was reported to be in fair condition Monday morning at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, where he was taken after being treated at Salina Regional Health Center.

Sheriff Glen Kochanowski said deputies still are investigating the accidental shooting, and they hope to speak again with Lewis.

“At the time, he was uncooperative,” Kochanowski said.

Kochanowski said a deputy was sent to Salina Regional to meet with Lewis after he was taken to the hospital by an uncle. He said Lewis told the deputy that he was alone outside his mother’s house at 2745 N. Hedville about 4:30 a.m. Sunday, using a pellet rifle to shoot at the shell on a picnic table.

Kochanowski said Lewis told the deputy that a pellet from the rifle hit the shell, causing it to explode. The bullet hit Lewis in the groin.

Kochanowski said the bullet apparently lodged near major nerves and arteries, which is why Lewis was sent to Kansas City.

Kochanowski said there was no indication in the deputy’s report that Lewis had been drinking alcohol prior to the accidental shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet hits (stupid) man in groin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eagle45
March 29, 2005, 07:06 PM
Stupid hurts.

mete
March 29, 2005, 07:16 PM
??? The case would normally split without further problem.However if the cartridge is restrained [wedged in a crack for example ]the effects might be different. I also wonder how close he was .The Darwin gene!

Double Maduro
March 29, 2005, 07:19 PM
Makes my BS meter tingle.

How do you shoot the back end of a .22 cartridge so that it fires and have the bullet hit you in the groin? I think that if the cartridge fired it would simply explode and the projectile would not go very far and certainly not towards the shooter, he would have had to be on the opposite of the projectile.

I think he upset his uncle, or the boyfriend of someone he was chatting up and got shot.

I would be interested to know if there were any rifling marks on the bullet.

DM

Sistema1927
March 29, 2005, 07:31 PM
BS

As a youngster, we used to shoot at military surplus ammo with .22s. I was an Army brat, and we had access to some training areas (even had to hide from the MPs in the tunnels of the "VC Village"), and used to shoot at .50 BMG, 7.62, smoke grenades, and artillery simulators. Most of the time, nothing would happen (while firing at ammo), but the few that did "explode" just went "Pffft" and suffered case blowouts. Most of the time, the bullet would remain in the cartridge neck, or would end up inches away from the casing.

Phantom Warrior
March 29, 2005, 08:06 PM
Most of the time, the bullet would remain in the cartridge neck, or would end up inches away from the casing.

When a cartridge goes off outside of a gun barrel doesn't the shell casing fly because it's lighter than the bullet? Resulting in exactly what you described? How did he get fragments in himself?

Bacon
March 29, 2005, 08:08 PM
If he somehow ignited the primer with a projectile (bb, pellet, .22) then the casing would explode. The bullet wouldn't go very far. So, if true (which I doubt) then there would be casing fragments in him, not bullet fragments.

whm1974
March 29, 2005, 08:29 PM
If he somehow ignited the primer with a projectile (bb, pellet, .22) then the casing would explode. The bullet wouldn't go very far. So, if true (which I doubt) then there would be casing fragments in him, not bullet fragments.

That's probley what they ment. Most people are not aware that ammo is called a cartage not a bullet.

-Bill

LiquidTension
March 29, 2005, 08:31 PM
BS.

There was a thread with pics either on this board or TFL a few years ago where somebody dropped a 9mm round on the floor at the range. It went off, the bullet went a few inches, and the case blew into tiny bits. No harm to the shooter.

Me thinks there's more to this story than the "uncooperative" guy is telling.

TheOtherOne
March 29, 2005, 09:14 PM
Did anyone see the Mythbusters where they used a .22 round to complete the circuit in a trucks fuse box. Supposedly the myth was that someone had done it and while he was driving along it went off and killed him.

They did get it to off, but they concluded that the most it would of done is give you a little bruise.

Preacherman
March 29, 2005, 09:26 PM
Hmmm... For "Tactical", read "Testicle"! :D

Standing Wolf
March 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
Kochanowski said there was no indication in the deputy’s report that Lewis had been drinking alcohol prior to the accidental shooting.

Well, meth, then.

Archie
March 29, 2005, 11:10 PM
BS!

Centerfire rounds aren't particular powerful unconfined, let alone 22 rimfires.

There is a reason this 'victim' is being uncooperative and I've got a nickle says it has to do with being shot. More than likely on his own merits.

Hey, Standing Wolf. Maybe he was stone cold sober and just has 'natural talent'?

R.H. Lee
March 29, 2005, 11:18 PM
I don't buy his story. Something else happened, and he's lying about it.

Tory
March 30, 2005, 12:21 AM
and sounds like a case of "Mexican carry" - with the usual consequences... :rolleyes:

DSRUPTV
March 30, 2005, 12:44 AM
"Mexican carry," If you don't mind explaining what this is for a newbie I'd appreciate it.

mbs357
March 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
Mexican carry is an unholstered pistol in the front of the pants.

DSRUPTV
March 30, 2005, 12:50 AM
Wow, quick response! Thanks, and what an unsound way to carry.

big inch
March 30, 2005, 12:51 AM
This story does sound a little suspect. :scrutiny:

I'm thinking something along the lines of: "I'm the only one in my mother's yard professional enough..."

LHB1
March 30, 2005, 01:08 AM
My BS meter is also pegged to MAX OVERLOAD!! Shooting outside at 4:30 am? In the dark or using what kind of lights? What was he doing up and outside at that time of the morning plinking with a pellet rifle? Also agree with statements about "bullet" not going anywhere fast enough to penetrate a human when exploded under these conditions and how did "bullet" come backwards? If anything had hit him, it should have been very small case fragments. BS BS BS I think the "true story" has not been told yet.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

g56
March 30, 2005, 01:29 AM
My BS meter is also pegged to MAX OVERLOAD!!
Let's see, he was up at 4:30 in the morning just goofing off...yeah right...sounds like he was with his meth buddies and got shot, then made up a unlikely story to try to explain it. :barf:

Freedomv
March 30, 2005, 05:57 AM
This kind of BS is covered in "Hatchers Notebook" along with countless other BS as is spread around by the "uninformed sensation seekers etc."

This book was written by Major General Jullian Hatcher. who used the vast resourses of the United States Army available to him and the actual experinces whitnessed in his carrer as an officer to explore and test everything imaginable in the field of firearms and munitions/explosives etc.

Very interesting reading. Some pictures. I would highly recommend adding it to anyones library.

Vern

flatdog
March 30, 2005, 05:33 PM
What if he combines the Mexican Carry with fast draw and finger on the trigger.

BANG!, he gets his O.S. moment.

flatdog

Clean97GTI
March 30, 2005, 05:39 PM
I was always curious about what would happen if I shot a hot cartridge.

I've got a bunch of old shotgun shells laying around...time to break out the .22 and see what they sound like.
That being said, I think I'll do the shooting from behind a berm of some sort. I really would hate to set it off and have the thing do me harm.

Bear Gulch
March 30, 2005, 05:44 PM
Mexican carry is a direct violation of Rule #2: Never aloow you muzzel to cover anything that you are unwilling to destroy. Maybe this direct hit to the hydraulics will teach him.

Tory
March 30, 2005, 05:53 PM
My only objection is when the stupid party is NOT the one paying the bill. :fire:

mete
March 30, 2005, 06:37 PM
Maybe things have changed but I though 'mexican carry' was at the back ,not front .?

SLCDave
March 30, 2005, 08:17 PM
AFAIK, "Mexican Carry" is carrying an unholstered firearm anywhere in your waistband.

Hardtarget
March 30, 2005, 08:38 PM
Where is CSI when you need them. :scrutiny: They would have this hashed out in a heartbeat! :D
Mark.

GRB
March 30, 2005, 09:05 PM
Makes my BS meter tingleDitto.....

DSRUPTV
March 31, 2005, 01:16 AM
I agree that there are probably details that haven't been told. Something along the lines of, I lied to the police so I wouldn't have to tell them how I really got shot.

PowderBurn
March 31, 2005, 01:22 AM
Poor guy - that's what happens when you go off half-cocked...

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet hits (stupid) man in groin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!