Some Help With My Priorities

PDA

Dionysusigma
March 29, 2005, 09:47 PM
Well, the "magical" age of 21 is only three weeks away for me. Needless to say, I've been looking forward to it for many years now, and can't wait for that wonderful Sunday morning when I wake up with a headache in a town I've never heard of. :D

In all seriousness, I'm really low on money due to getting my hours cut from lack of business at the book store. This throws me into a bind... in the world of guns, I've a few decisions to make at the cost of others. I can only decide to do one, at least until more money is saved up (which could easily be months). I really am not sure what to do first, as all seem really important to me. All advice is appreciated. :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Help With My Priorities" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
March 29, 2005, 10:31 PM
Each choice has its own hidden costs.

A CHL is nice, but you better have a means of carrying your pistol (some kind of holster, a good stiff belt, etc.). And, as you implied, all the handguns you have are too large for carry, though if you have the willpower and the equipment, you can carry pretty much anything.

The Garand is another good option, but if you plan on shooting it a lot, .30-06 can be expensive unless you buy it from the CMP (and even then, it's 200 bucks a case). Plus the gun itself is more expensive than (1) or (3).

The Mak is a nice gun, and probably the best value in pistols under $200. Again, though, you'd have to buy ammo (though Mak ammo is cheap), a holster, and you'd eventually end up getting the CHL anyway. You also might wind up wanting to carry a more potent caliber, but a Mak never outlives its usefulness. Plus it's just plain cool.

The AR-180B seems to me like the odd one out. No pressing need to buy (Armalite might actually improve on the current design), and fairly expensive ammo (even Wolf is $100/case at least). It's also the most expensive choice listed.

I suggest either Garand or Mak. Actually, you could probably get your CHL and Mak + ammo for the same price as the Garand, so...

Makarov!

EghtySx
March 29, 2005, 10:36 PM
First protect yourself. Everything else you have listed is more or less just for fun, right?

OF
March 29, 2005, 10:38 PM
No brainer. CHL first. Even if you don't have a gun to carry yet. Good for you, good for your community.

- Gabe

boofus
March 29, 2005, 10:42 PM
I voted for 'Other' get a MG while it is still 'cheap'. If you ever plan on getting one you will kick yourself when MACs and Uzis are $10000.

I shoulda got into MGs back in 1995 or 1996 when HKs and M16s were less than half the price they are now.

Everything else on your list won't be following Moore's Law of MG appreciation. :neener:

Seems MG prices double every 4 years or so.

patentmike
March 29, 2005, 10:58 PM
What 86 said,
and some folks carry a Mak.

Dionysusigma
March 29, 2005, 11:54 PM
Well, MGs and any other Title IIs are out for sure. :( Even Uzis, which run in the $4,000 range, are out of the question when in a good month you make $700. :banghead: That's before rent, insurance, electricity, gas, groceries...

The reason the Garand got on the list is that they're really good guns and they're not going to be this inexpensive again. Looks like that's gone.

I have one handgun, and that's the Vektor SP-2. For those who aren't familiar, it's based on the Beretta 96, chambered in .40, but with a few modifications. It's slightly heavier than a Beretta (due to its massive slide), and about the same size. It's been completely reliable thus far, and pretty accurate. However, concealing it is difficult, but possible... barely. The Makarov, however, would be so much lighter and so much smaller that it's really enticing.

But this is moot if I don't have the CHL... :uhoh: And I'm not one for breaking the law when unnecessary.

Valkman
March 30, 2005, 02:50 AM
Get the CCW first.

Uzi's haven't been $4k in a loooong time! Mine was $5500 last July and they've gone up since! :p

Freedomv
March 30, 2005, 04:08 AM
I voted for other as it has been my experience in wanting to do something, anything just because I was anxious to do something or anything made for regretable circumstances.

An example would be making a purchase only to find out that it really wasn't what you thought it would be or that it didn't satisfy your longing.

Of course gun purchases never satisfy your longing as you'll always want another.

Many times these purchases can not be rolled over to regain your initial investment, resulting in what I call " Tuition in the school of Hard Knocks." Depending on the cirumstances, this can be quite exspensive.

If you really want to purchase an M-1 I would contact a local CMP club or State Rifle & pistol Association and see if they have any available to sign out and shoot. The State Association may even have an M-14 match rifle available to competetion shooters for you to try out. This would also help you should you decide to purchase one from the CMP. (Who knows, maybe you would like competetion shooting)

What ever your choice, don't be in a hurry, relax and Have a Happy Birthday.
Vern

garyk/nm
March 30, 2005, 09:41 AM
I voted CHL. You'e going to need it eventually, might as well get it out of the way. Also, apply for a C&R license so you can get some good discounts.

Good luck!

Dionysusigma
March 30, 2005, 10:19 AM
From what I've heard, having little to no money and then getting a C&R is like having a container of hydrochloric acid and pouring water in it. :eek:

Bear Gulch
March 30, 2005, 10:21 AM
The C&R will quickly save you a ton of money over aution sites and gunshow prices.

Dionysusigma
March 30, 2005, 09:56 PM
Well... yeah, but when a "spare" $100 decides whether I get groceries that month or not, even one C&R gun is difficult to justify. Even if it's something in pristine condition; chambered in a common caliber; includes a sling, bayonet, stripper clips, and a case of ammo; and costs $130.00 out the door (which is normal for an M44, a steal for anything else) it has a tendency to make one overconfident and buy even more.

I already live on rice and ramen anyhow... :barf:

*sigh* The biggest problem I have is that financial independace costs money. ;)

Hardtarget
March 30, 2005, 10:33 PM
Go get the Garand...then go get the chl.Then you can save for the AR 180B... :D . By then you'll have several more "needs" on your list!
Mark.

Mulliga
March 31, 2005, 12:03 AM
I have one handgun, and that's the Vektor SP-2...However, concealing it is difficult, but possible... barely
I already live on rice and ramen anyhow...

I'm convinced the people voting CCW aren't reading the thread. ;)

Mak first, then CHL. Heck, you could probably get them both at the same time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Help With My Priorities" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!