THR has helped me become better informed.

PDA

280PLUS
March 30, 2005, 08:23 AM
Went to the local gunstore yesterday with my wife to look at ideas for her first CCW. We had already decided it should be a DA revolver. My friend the clerk there immediately pulls out the .38 Special in S&W J-frame lightweight. I immediately know this isn't the gun for her and can't believe he's showing to her. I mention the .32 Magnum J-Frame (same as I carry) thinking she could load it with .32 S&W Longs for practice and the full bore magnum rounds for carry. He shakes his head, "Not enough stopping power." So I say, "OK, how about a .38 in steel to reduce the recoil?" Clerk, "Too heavy." :uhoh: So we decided maybe we should hit the old S&W range in Springfield and shoot a few of these before she spends her hard earned $ on something she won't shoot.

If I hadn't been hanging around this forum with all you other "gun loving rednecks" and soaking up all this knowledge for a while now we mighta walked out of there with probably the wrong gun and at a premium price.

so THANKS!

I would almost want to see her get something similar to the Lightweight J-frame in .22LR but his disdain was too much to bear :rolleyes: and it doesn't come hammerless.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR has helped me become better informed." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MarkDido
March 30, 2005, 08:27 AM
Concur.

The folks on THR have been a wealth of information for me.

And this is the most civil board I log on to (and I log on to many)

So much for the stereotype of "gun totin' rednecks"

mec
March 30, 2005, 08:31 AM
You went about making your choice the right way. It's best, if possible to try out the guns before buying.

Stickjockey
March 30, 2005, 10:28 AM
My friend the clerk there immediately pulls out the .38 Special in S&W J-frame lightweight. I immediately know this isn't the gun for her and can't believe he's showing to her. I mention the .32 Magnum J-Frame (same as I carry) thinking she could load it with .32 S&W Longs for practice and the full bore magnum rounds for carry. He shakes his head, "Not enough stopping power." So I say, "OK, how about a .38 in steel to reduce the recoil?" Clerk, "Too heavy."

Just out of curiosity, where was she in this process?

middy
March 30, 2005, 11:14 AM
The .38 lightweight is carried by lots of women. Did you even let her try it?

280PLUS
March 30, 2005, 01:36 PM
Holding it in her hand saying, "This one has a lot of recoil?"

I don't have a problem with her getting a lightweight .38 but I want to make sure she's going to be comfortable shooting it before she plunks down all that money. We already know she doesn't like the trigger pull on my .32 J frame because she said so. So really, the .32 mag or the .38 might not be the best choice for her either way as they have basically the same pull. Hence our educated descision to walk on out of there and take the time to try a few seeing how we have the opportunity. As a new shooter I'd like to see her start with a steel .38 and when she's comfortable with that she can get into the lightweights if she'd like. I already know one lady who hates the .38 lightweight her husband made her buy. Why create another cause the gunstore guy wants to sell one?

There WAS the undertone of my friend trying to sell us what HE wanted us to buy as opposed to maybe what we were asking about or offerng us other selections to try. It was like there wasn't another gun in the whole store that might work for her. :rolleyes:

foghornl
March 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
That's why I like the guys at my local gunshop...They will ask what you have in mind, and will make appropriate suggestions, but never try to steer you away from what you want.

Case in point...lady looking at some small .38/.357 revolvers. Guy said the J-frame "Ultra-Lite-Tanium" was significantly lighter than an SP-101, but because of the less weight, would 'kick' more with the same loads. How much are you going to shoot this one?

You just can't beat "The High Road" for good info.

Standing Wolf
March 30, 2005, 04:42 PM
The High Road is one of my three or four favorite sites on the entire internet.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR has helped me become better informed." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!