Buy A Gun To Piss Off Chuck Schumer Day

PDA

countertop
March 30, 2005, 09:34 AM
As I posted here (http://countertop-chronicles.blogspot.com/2005/03/buy-gun-to-piss-of-chuck-schumer-day.html), my tax return this year is gonna be pretty good - and will leave me after credit card bills and stuff are paid off with about $500 to spend. I am wondering what to get.

I've always wanted a Garand, but have never gotten around to picking one up yet. The CMP is now down to just one brand of Service Grade Garands for $500. Are these a good buy? Or should I wait and buy a better quality rifle on the open market for more money (which means I may never do it)?

I also don't have an AR-15 type rifle yet. Is there a brand/model I should consider at his price point? If I buy used, what should I look for?

Also, I never got one of the k31s that AIM was selling (spaced out at the time). THe other option I was considering was to purchase one of those as well as a used wheel gun. AIM doesn't seem to have them in stock anymore. Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find one at a good price these days?

Finally, between these options - which one would you go for - thinking first about filling out the collection and second about annoying Chuck Schumer.

Thanks and as always, I appreciate the assistance and advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buy A Gun To Piss Off Chuck Schumer Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
March 30, 2005, 09:43 AM
The US Rifle Cal .30 M1 first.

Then buy the rest just to torque off UpChuck Schumer & his ilk.

Keoni
March 30, 2005, 09:44 AM
I believe everyone should have at least one CMP Service Grade M1 Rifle.

George S.
March 30, 2005, 12:00 PM
A USGI Springfield Service Grade M1 is a great buy but from what I have read on some forums, the wait time for one is getting very long. There is also some talk of a price "change" but nothing posted on the CMP web site yet.

The best way to get a Garand is to go to the North Store at Camp Perry OH and walk thru the racks to pick out your rifle. The staff will happily work with you to find the best rifle. They will sometimes go into the back rooms and bring out different ones. They provide tools to check muzzle and throat wear.

I have a CMP SA Garand that dates to April 1941 and I just got a Remington 1903A3 last fall that appears to have been rearsenaled and put away until the CMP got it and sold it to me. The barrel appears to be new and the parkerizing has no scratches inside the receiver!! Best $420.95 I think I have ever spent on a gun :D

Get your order in now!!

countertop
March 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks!

Don't know if I am gonna be in Ohio anytime soon, but I will be in ALabama in May. Does the CMP Store there (where I believe they run the mail orders from) accept walk ins??

LeonCarr
March 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
Buy the ultimate pi$$ off a liberal gun...buy an AK :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

armoredman
March 30, 2005, 12:20 PM
Or, if you can't afford an AK, another gun that really sticks in his and Feinslimie's craw, the Yugo SKS, an imported, semi auto, "assault style", (even though it isn't!), with attached pigsticker, that can be sent straight to your house, (if you have the C&R!), and there is nothing they can do about it! I got an unissued Yugo for my wife for $161 delivered. Great investment,,,when I can afford it again, will get one for me.

countertop
March 30, 2005, 02:01 PM
Buy the ultimate pi$$ off a liberal gun...buy an AK

Already have one (well, a SAR-1)

the Yugo SKS, an imported, semi auto, "assault style", (even though it isn't!), with attached pigsticker, that can be sent straight to your house, (if you have the C&R!),

its real tempting

wasrjoe
March 30, 2005, 02:08 PM
Garand. Garand Garand, Garand. Garand. Garand Garand Garand, *ping*.

jefnvk
March 30, 2005, 02:55 PM
M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1!

Nothing better than BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! PIIIINNNNG!

Authentic piece of US History, and I have a feeling that as soon as CMP is out (I was told not for a few years yet), prices will skyrocket.

If you get the chance, go to the store. You may even get lucky and find some nice rack grades sitting around. My last one was a Greek Rack with a Muzzle wear of 1 and TE of 3, with a bright shiney original barrel. Wood matched well, mid '43 production. Cost me $295.

Daniel964
March 30, 2005, 03:02 PM
I've been thinking about going to the CMP this summer and getting a couple of rack grade greeks. What should I look for as far as MW and TE? As well as any other advice on getting one.

mtnbkr
March 30, 2005, 03:07 PM
The historical aspect of the Garand make it tempting, but I'm never impressed when I pick one up, nor did I get much out of shooting one. For me, it's definately going to be a purchase for my kids (if I get one at all). I have no interest in one myself.

Countertop, build an AR. It's easy, it's the prototypical EBR, and is fun to build.

Or, use the money as a downpayment on that S&W 500.

Oh, you were supposed to piss off Chucky, not make him soil himself.

Chris

countertop
March 30, 2005, 03:53 PM
Countertop, build an AR. It's easy, it's the prototypical EBR, and is fun to build.

Maybe that'll be a good summer project.
Hmmmmm

Is there any real difference between the gReek, the Danish, and the Regular Service grades???

whm1974
March 30, 2005, 05:25 PM
Myself I want an AK clone. However I don't have a place to shoot a rifle. But I still would like to have one.

I like evil looking weapons.

-Bill

El Tejon
March 30, 2005, 05:27 PM
Angering Senator Chuckie? What a noble idea, counter! :cool:

whm1974
March 30, 2005, 08:39 PM
I would also get AR-15 pistol. The Five-Seven would also be good if ammo was commonplace and cheap.

-Bill

natedog
March 30, 2005, 08:46 PM
Get a Garand before the CMP runs out and the price skyrockets over $1k. Next I'd get an AR15.

Stevie-Ray
March 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
Get the AR-15. Preferably a tactical or an M4. I recently got mine and I'll probably get a Garand next. I've always wanted one of those. These posts about going to Camp Perry sound great. Maybe I'll do that this year as well. ;)

jefnvk
March 30, 2005, 09:07 PM
I've been thinking about going to the CMP this summer and getting a couple of rack grade greeks. What should I look for as far as MW and TE?

I just look for the best ones. Most will be junk, and you'll know it when they are so far worn they won't gauge. Remember, Racks are supposed to have readings of over 5 on throat, although some don't. Both of mine are racks, and the one is a 1M/2T and the other is a 1.5M/3T.

The employees are friendly, they will help.

PATH
March 30, 2005, 09:22 PM
Does my purchase of an S&W Mod. 41 count? :D

whm1974
March 31, 2005, 08:46 AM
No. It has to look evil or at least be a gun that antis have complained about, such as the FN Five-Seven.

-Bill

shermacman
March 31, 2005, 09:02 AM
The appearance of "evil" is not important. To Schumer and crowd all guns are evil. Get the Garand; they are a piece of history that deserves to be in the hands of those who love and cherish this nation.

That fact alone makes the Garand the most dangerous gun in the world.

txgho1911
March 31, 2005, 10:31 AM
Instead of reloading equipment and such as I allready have a few manuals. I found an HBAR yesterday and had to have it. Like new and 100% for $1010 bought me a 6601.
Ok gonna brag myself into the doghouse. SWMBO was not impressed. I did remind her she told me to spend my tax refund on what I wanted. I did. 1 1895g in January that cost me because I waited till I had done my taxes to tell her. This one I laid the reciept out on the bed as she comes in to read she picked it up.
"What Did You Buy!" and I said "An ugly black rifle." She will never admit it but it turned out more amusement to her than I would have imagined. Now we are negotiating compromise for the next one.
She will go with and have a chance to speak up. Still working out a time frame. I am steady around a number of months and she is solid on 2 years. She thinks the oportunity for her to paint the gunrack blue is a bargaining chip I have.
Anyone one a 3 long gun wooden riflerack. It's looking for a good home.

Redneck Revolver
March 31, 2005, 10:55 AM
i second the ak. what better way to frighten a liberal then with "terrorist/gang banger weapon of choice" :evil:

PATH
March 31, 2005, 01:16 PM
Okay. That's it. I start getting the money together for an M1A. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Buy A Gun To Piss Off Chuck Schumer Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!