Molon Labe stickers interest?

PDA

CentralTexas
March 31, 2005, 12:42 PM
I have a friend that can do up quality stickers for a reasonable amount & trying to judge interest. I have 2 rough designs, 1 would be one of the white outline you apply and peel off. 2- is a solid one piece sticker in black with white letters and image. The one piece black sticker will be cheaper to make and I want to keep the cost down and offer these as cheap as possible.I feel that putting only Molon Labe on them will be perfect, those that get it get it & those that don't, oh well! Remeber these are rough, a pro is going to do them...
All input & suggestions welcome!
Thanks CT

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Labe stickers interest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SkyDaver
March 31, 2005, 01:15 PM
What's the size, and are they moderately weather proof?

I don't put stickers on the bumpers, just the rear window, so for me, I'd prefer smaller than larger.

Thanks for the effort!

CentralTexas
March 31, 2005, 01:17 PM
Vinyl so pretty waterproof. They would be 4-6 inches in size I think.
CT

Sistema1927
March 31, 2005, 01:20 PM
I get confused. Is it:

Mu-Omega-Lambda-Omega-Nu

or

Mu-Omikron-Lambda-Omega-Nu ?

I have a hat done one way, and a sticker done another.

Ukraine Train
March 31, 2005, 02:32 PM
I thought it was mu-omikron. The sticker I'd like to see is just "MOLON LABE" (in Greek) in white letters on either a clear background or one of those kinds where only the individual letters stick on. Maybe 6-8" wide. Would look good on a tinted window.

simon
March 31, 2005, 02:37 PM
one of those kinds where only the individual letters stick on

I'd get one of these ^^

cookiemonster
March 31, 2005, 02:41 PM
I would like either one...also where to get the shirts? I have a friend in Houston that has a few...I would like to get some of the shirts.

Darrell

robert garner
March 31, 2005, 02:44 PM
LOL!!!
I would / will take either!
but won't place on my vehicle,
concealed is concealed and won't advertise it!
go well on a gun case or something tho.
Geez i am already guilty of telegraphing!

Standing Wolf
March 31, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'll take several of each. Make it happen, please!

Rich K
March 31, 2005, 02:56 PM
I am with Standing Wolf,please make it happen

Fred Fuller
March 31, 2005, 03:02 PM
NOTA.

Scarlet background, white Greek letters only, no pictures, no translations, no explanations. Let 'em figure it out. 8^)

lpl/nc

Molon Labe
March 31, 2005, 03:22 PM
Great! I’ll take a bunch.

I also talked to my lawyer. He said each of you is required to pay me a royalty. ;)

DRZinn
March 31, 2005, 06:04 PM
I like it in the Greek letters with nothing else.

mack69
March 31, 2005, 06:14 PM
I like the black one...but would rather have just the words no figure.....
mack

Standing Wolf
March 31, 2005, 06:29 PM
He said each of you is required to pay me a royalty.

As long as you can accept $100 bills, okay.

Cacique500
March 31, 2005, 06:40 PM
I like the black one...but would rather have just the words no figure.....

+1 - better to keep them guessing

trickyasafox
March 31, 2005, 08:43 PM
i'd like just the greek, no graphic, no picture. this is very interesting I hope it comes to fruition

enfield303
March 31, 2005, 09:02 PM
Ok, it looks like I will have to ask someone to please translate for me? :confused:

Wingshooter
March 31, 2005, 10:29 PM
Just white letters only would look really sharp on my tinted windows. Especially the style that has the individual letters spaced out instead if a solid sticker with all letters connected.

MacPelto
March 31, 2005, 10:37 PM
I like the no graphic, just text idea better too...but I'm in for several no matter how it pans out.

Mac

TrybalRage
March 31, 2005, 10:40 PM
I like anything but the translation, it really bugs me that it is misleading the pronunciation.

Dr.Who
March 31, 2005, 11:04 PM
Enfield303..... It translates to "come and take them" Molon Labe is greek.

It is like Charlton Heston's quote "From my cold dead hands"

Both refering, of course, to the taking of our freedoms/guns... Molon Labe, can be looked as a challenge to those who wish to remove our rights. Just "come and try and take these from my cold dead hands..." I wonder what the Greek phrase for that would be?

DSRUPTV
March 31, 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm very interested in this, and would love to have a sticker or a shirt. I like the idea of just the text in black greek letters on a clear background about 1 and 1/2 inches tall. No matter what tho I'd like one.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 31, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'd go for several, no image, just the Greek text. White on black, black on white, white on red, red on white...whatever works best for the printer.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Taipei Personality
April 1, 2005, 08:58 AM
Agreed; all Greek letters, no picture, no explanation.

Indy7373
April 1, 2005, 09:00 AM
I would go for a couple as well. Again though, just the Greek, no pictures.

Harry Tuttle
April 1, 2005, 09:13 AM
been there
done that

i think i sold 100

joshlm
April 1, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'd be interested, just the letters of course.

enfield303
April 1, 2005, 09:46 AM
I ran it through my Latin to English translator and got "a slight stain". I gotta confess I was a bit confused. :rolleyes: Then I tried Greek, but the bloody thing kept putting it into Greek letters. :banghead: That helped not at all. So mucho appreciande from Iowa.

CentralTexas
April 1, 2005, 09:48 AM
the plain black with Greek letters only, is a big favorite. Should have a quote in next couple of days so stay tuned!
CT

Ukraine Train
April 1, 2005, 10:52 AM
the plain black with Greek letters only, is a big favorite. Should have a quote in next couple of days so stay tuned!

How about another one with just white letters instead of black? Can't read black on tint.

No_Brakes23
April 1, 2005, 11:48 AM
so just how is it pronounced, anyway.

Redneck Revolver
April 1, 2005, 11:56 AM
i second the all greek only. btw let me know when these are availible, ill need alot of them.

RaggedClaws
April 1, 2005, 11:57 AM
Here's a good explanation with pronunciation:

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

It was the first thing that came up when I googled.

By the way, I'd like one with just the Greek letters, nothing else.

arizona
April 2, 2005, 02:26 PM
Interesting story.

mo-lonelah-veh

In 480 BC, Xerxes King of Persia (son of Darius who was defeated in a prior attempt to take Greece) had landed in Greece and was in full preparation to invade Athens, the leader of the independent Greek city-states as part of his strategic plan to conquer all of Greece.

King Leonidas of Sparta (left) and another Greek city-state agreed to help stop the invading Persians, and marched with 300 hand-picked troops to Thermopylae on the north coast of Greece. Thermopylae was the best of three possible defensive areas in which Xerxes' invading army had to advance. This mountain gap along the coast was about 60 feet wide, and was the best location for a blocking action. Since the 300 knew they were going to die fighting against overwhelming force the first requirement was that each man had to have a son left behind.

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE",or "Come And Get Them."

"Our archers are so numerous,"said the envoy, "that the flight of their arrows darkens the sun."
"So much the better,"replied Dienekes, a Spartan warrior, "for we shall fight them in the shade."

After three days of fighting and having killed countless numbers of Xerxes' elite troops, they were finally overrun after being betrayed by a traitor who showed the enemy another pass behind the defenders. King Leonidas and his Spartans were then killed to the last man in a final battle. Xerxes marched on and destroyed Athens.
However, the Spartans gallant defense gave the rest of Greece more time to mobilize and increased their morale and willingness to fight. The Persians now faced an united Greek army and navy, lead by Spartans, that destroyed his fleet at the Straits of Salamis and defeated his army at Plataea. Xerxes eventually withdrew back to Persia.

Today there is a plaque dedicated to those heroes at the site. It reads: "Go tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie."The point of this true story is when anybody demands you to give up your guns, tell them "MOLON LABE". You may fall in the first fight, but many more will step into your place and a determined and organized people can do anything.

Redneck Revolver
April 2, 2005, 02:54 PM
the version i had heard was that the spartans were wiped out with arrows from a distance.

homeka45
April 2, 2005, 03:01 PM
Red letters on a black background for me.

Farnham
April 3, 2005, 12:56 AM
White letters on a black background, Greek letters only, bumper sticker type.

Make it and I will buy. Probably buy a couple extra, just to put them on cars with Kerry for President bumper stickers. :evil:

Bear Gulch
April 3, 2005, 11:17 AM
Reminds one of the Gonzalesa, Texas "come and take it" flag during their fight for independence from Mexico. The flag consisted of a picture of a cannon with the above inscription.

hrb02
April 3, 2005, 11:26 AM
Sign me up for a bunch with the Greek letters only, white on black.

Any chance of shirts as well?

P.S. Molon Labe, your royalties are on the way <shuffles off to xerox machine> :neener:

Bane
April 3, 2005, 11:58 AM
I would like a few that were black with white letters, no pic, no explanation. Here is a link to the bumpersticker that life liberty etc. sells. I have one on a pistol case and it looks really nice. They spell it slightly differently though. I don't know which way is right, just thought you might want to take a look.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=32

Drizzt
April 3, 2005, 12:19 PM
I would also go for the black with white letters, text only. I cannot tell you how much wearing that on my hat has had people coming up to me asking for an explanation. That gives you a bit more of an opportunity to get a feel for the person before you give them the full explanation.

CentralTexas
April 3, 2005, 02:01 PM
and get the black with greek letters only ASAP to start, will see what I can get shirts done for also.
Stay Tuned,
CT

RaggedClaws
April 4, 2005, 08:52 AM
If you're interested in the Battle of Thermopylae, I highly recommend the novel, Gates of Fire (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385492510/104-6700407-9711922), by Stephen Pressfield. The only non-fiction contemporary account of the battle (to my knowledge) is in Herodotus' Histories (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140449086/104-6700407-9711922).

elkhunter
April 4, 2005, 08:57 AM
I'm interested in a few both white and black. Preferably white if you only do one color, for my tinted truck windows.

I'm taking off for a couple of weeks so I'll check in when I get back.

Bob F.
April 4, 2005, 11:39 PM
I have a hat from Larry Coreia (sp?): love it. Most "High Roaders" would recognize the implications, but the sheeples and BG' shaven't a clue.

Stay safe.
bob

trickyasafox
April 4, 2005, 11:41 PM
just keepin this post at the top cause im very interested in a few of these!

71Commander
April 5, 2005, 06:02 AM
A movie was made years ago. 300 Spartans with Richard Egan. Sheesh. I saw it when it first came out. :o

cookiemonster
April 5, 2005, 07:22 AM
Waiting paitently... :)

The black and white sticker will find a nice home right next to my NRA and Browning stickers.

Darrell

DSRUPTV
April 5, 2005, 04:23 PM
Are these going to end up as bumper stickers or will they be intended for the back glass?

SJ
April 5, 2005, 06:43 PM
Please get the spelling right, that TFL page is mistaken. Omicron then omega in the Molon. Pic and closeup from Thermopylae monument:
http://home.flash.net/~mpisi/Pics/leonidas3.jpg

http://home.flash.net/~mpisi/Pics/molon_labe.jpg

edit: fix word order, doh!

CentralTexas
April 5, 2005, 07:55 PM
We are looking at 2" x 6" or so, small enough for window but smaller than standard bumper sticker. A few expressed intrest in using them as both and on gun cases etc. More to follow...
CT

Harry Tuttle
April 5, 2005, 09:28 PM
480 BC

On the arrival of Xerxes at Thermopylae, he found that
the place was defended by a body of three hundred
Spartans and about seven thousand hoplites from other
states, commanded by the Spartan king Leonidas.
Xerxes learning about the small number of Greek forces
and that several Spartans outside the walls were
exercising and combing their hairs, in his perplexity,
immediately called Demaratos to explain him the meaning of
all these. Demaratos told him that the Spartans will defend
the place to the death and it was custom to wash and
dress their hairs with special care when they intended to
put their lives in great danger. Xerxes who did not believe
Demaratos, delayed his attack for four days, thinking that
the Greeks as soon as they would realize his great forces
will disperse.

He sent also heralds asking to deliver up their arms. The answer from
Leonidas was "Come and Take Them" (Molon Labe)

A Spartan, who was told about the great number of Persian soldiers, who
with their arrows will conceal the sun, he answered: "So much the better,
we will fight in the shade".

At the fifth day Xerxes attacked but without any results and with heavy
losses, though the Medes fought bravely. He then ordered his personal
guard the "Immortals", a body of ten thousand consisting from the best
Persian soldiers, to advance. They also failed and Xerxes was observed to
jump from his throne three times in anger and agony. The following day they
attacked, but again made no progress.

Xerxes was desperate but his luck changed when a Malian
named Ephialtes told him about a secret path across the mountain.

Immediately a strong Persian force was sent, guided
by the traitor. At day's break they reached the summit, where the Phokian
army was stationed and who upon seeing the Persians fled.

When Leonidas learned all these incidents, he ordered the council of war to
be summoned. Many were of the opinion that they should retire and find a
better defendable place, but Leonidas, who was bound by the laws of
Sparta and from an oracle, which had declared that either Sparta or a
Spartan king must perish, refused. Three hundred Spartans and seven
hundred Thespians took the decision to stay and fight. The rest were
permitted to leave, with the exception of four hundred Boeotians, which
were retained as hostages.

Leonidas did not wait the Persian attack, which was being delayed by
Xerxes and advanced in the path, he fell upon the Persians. Thousands of
them were slain, the rest were driven near the sea, but when the Spartan
spears broke, they started having losses and one of the first that fell was
king Leonidas.

Around his body one of the fiercest battles took place. Four
times the Persians attacked to obtain it and four times they were repulsed.
At the end, the Spartans exhausted and wounded, carrying the body of
Leonidas, retired behind the wall, but they were surrounded by the enemy,
who killed them with arrows.

On the spot, a marble lion was set by the Greeks in honor of Leonidas and
his men, together with two other monuments near by. On one of them, the
memorable words were written:

"Oh stranger tell the Lacedaemonians, that we lie here, obedient to their laws".

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Labe stickers interest?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!