private gun sales?

PDA

Bill2k1
March 31, 2005, 04:17 PM
How do I go about selling my weapons to a private party? Is there a set of forms, or do I just need to make a contract or no paperwork at all?

If you enjoyed reading about "private gun sales?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WillBrayJr
March 31, 2005, 05:11 PM
Know your state laws! You can go through a FFL dealer if you like, you will have to if the buyer is in another state. You'll just need a record of sale :)

Monkeyleg
March 31, 2005, 06:37 PM
As long as you're selling to a WI resident, there's no need to go through a licensed dealer. No paperwork, no background checks.

I'd suggest that you ask to see a driver's license, though, and write down the buyer's name and address. Years back, a friend of mine had a sheriff knock on his door. A gun he had sold years before had been used in a crime, and was traced to my friend. Fortunately, he had the buyer's name and address and a bill of sale.

Northslope Nimrod
March 31, 2005, 06:48 PM
In most states, you just can't "knowingly" sale to a restricted person (felon, Domestic Violence offender, etc). Federal law does not require anything special. I don't know if Wisconsin is "wierd" in this area.

Shipwreck
March 31, 2005, 10:36 PM
Yes, I have a receipt in the bank for every gun I have sold. I get all of the person's info...

Bear Gulch
March 31, 2005, 10:50 PM
Then you should be good to go. You just want a paper trail to prove that the dates that the firearm entered and left you possession.

Chut1st
April 1, 2005, 01:44 PM
A great site for finding what the law is in any particular state is:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx

The NRA also has a pamphlet for each state outlining the applicable laws which is free for the asking.

If you enjoyed reading about "private gun sales?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!