Guns for a Modern Cowboy

PDA

Cowboy Preacher
March 31, 2005, 11:11 PM
In the days of the Old West, the guns would have been a Colt Peacemaker or maybe a S&W No.3 and a Winchester 1873 in .44-40. What would your guns be if you were working as a cowboy to today. My choice would be my
S&W M28 Highway Patrolman and a Marlin lever-gun in .35 Remington.
I just thought, "Let's play the what if game." Lets hear the rollcall.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns for a Modern Cowboy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bratch
March 31, 2005, 11:22 PM
Are you talking about the mythical cowboys chasing down outlaws or the real cowboys shoveling crap and building fences?

Cowboy Preacher
March 31, 2005, 11:24 PM
Either one. This is a light hearted question intendedto start some conversation and maybe bring some Old West history into the mix.

Standing Wolf
March 31, 2005, 11:27 PM
http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/custer-gun.asp

bratch
March 31, 2005, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm.

Probably go with a 1911 and a Marlin Cowboy rifle in .45-70.

Second up would either be a Ruger in 45 Colt or a Smith in 44 Mag. Not sure if I would do the matching Marlin rifle or go with the 45-70 again.

I just finished the first season of Deadwood and love lever actions so this is a fun topic for me:).

joegerardi
March 31, 2005, 11:49 PM
Hmm... Good question.

I would have to say a Glock 21 for the pistol. Their reliability is unquestionable, and that fits in with the old SAA. Also, their ability to operate in the harshest conditions. This is actually an interesting reply for me, because I only own 1 Glock - the 17 - and it's not something I normally advocate.

For a rifle? Well, there isn't anything wrong with what they carried back then: a Winchester lever gun...

..Joe

JOE MACK
April 1, 2005, 03:23 AM
Hmmm... probably what I carried on the old homestead while growing up. I carried a Ruger OM in .41Magnum in a cross-draw rig. The saddle scabbard had my pre-64 Winchester 94 in .30-30. I'd probably substitute my Marlin 1894CCL in .41Magnum while having the Winchester re-blued as it's almost "in the white." These guns are familiar and have always delivered when counted on in a pinch.

sd
April 1, 2005, 05:21 AM
a new ruger flattop blackhawk .357, and a .357 lever rifle. Maybe a modern smith and wesson schofield (sp?) , not sure if smith is still making it. Anyone own/fired one of these?

jobu07
April 1, 2005, 06:29 AM
SAR-1 with a 1911 :neener:

cookiemonster
April 1, 2005, 06:48 AM
Colt 1911 and a Winchester Timber carbine in 450 Marlin.

If you can't knock it down with the one, the other certainly will...

Darrell

Soap
April 1, 2005, 09:32 AM
-Ruger Bisley Vaquero 5.5" Blued/Case, .45LC, Belt Mountain base pin, Power Custom hammer and trigger kit, burl mesquite stocks, sighted in for a Garrett load of some sort

-Marlin Guide Gun, .45-70, WWG sights, trigger, ejector, scout mount, Leupold 2.75x IER w/ German #1

TallPine
April 1, 2005, 09:33 AM
Well, you might be surprised to find out that the "gun to grab" for many ranchers out here is a bolt action scoped 22-250. The most likely thing to have to shoot is a coyote.

But then most "cowboying" these days is done from a pickup or ATV rather than a horse.

As far as handguns, I don't know that very many ranchers carry one anymore (unlike me ;) ) but I do know that my rancher neighbor has a 357 mag because we discussed it's effectiveness on porcupines. Haven't noticed him carrying it though. Maybe it's a bedside grab in the night sort of thing (or glovebox/under the seat).

Redneck Revolver
April 1, 2005, 12:04 PM
side arms: twin s&w .500 with black power coat finish and silver engravings(for that nice old west custom look)

shotgun: winchester model 97

rifle: mosin nagant 91/30 scoped.

of course this is just what I would do if i were a cowboy :D

Wakal
April 1, 2005, 12:19 PM
Pictures!

Cowboy: THEN:

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/guns/cowboy_then.jpg

Cowboy: NOW:

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/guns/cowboy_now.jpg

Alex

20cows
April 1, 2005, 03:16 PM
The most common guns one sees in a rancher's pick-up in my neck of the woods are a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and a Remington bolt action in .243.

The Ruger was the most practical least expensive quality center-fire available for a long time and it looked right. The .243 is a good generic "take-care-of-anything-you-need" gun that was easy to shoot.

Most of the people I'm talking about (I'm an exception) are working ranchers that don't shoot a whole lot, but know the value of a good tool. They recognise that sometimes you might need to put an animal down and it costs money to have it done by a vet. Sometimes you catch a varmint in the feed bin. They'll shoot a deer when they come across one in season while taking care of their stock, but probably won't go "hunting". They spend all day out where they would hunt and come evening, they're ready go to the house.

I believe this was the same attitude of many of the working cowboys of the late 1800's. A gun was tool that had a purpose.

EDIT: Most of the time, the only gun they carriy in the truck is the rifle. The Blackhawk is ususally only carried if they think they might run into two-footed critter trouble, such as not long ago around here when we had somone kill a cow and butcher it in the bar-ditch less than a mile from my place. This was considered rustling and was taken very seriously. The railroad commission, who has the authority over such matters caught the rascals selling beef locally (can you say dumbass?) out of the back of a truck. Would you believe the proof was DNA evidence (I told you, this was serious).

I believe the reason the handgun is used for this purpose is that it's presence can be out of sight until the need arises and it is considered more intimidating, even if less effective.

theCZ
April 1, 2005, 03:36 PM
As an actual "modern cowboy", I can tell you what I like to take around the ranch. In the pickup I take my CZ452 .22 in case I see any ground squirrels along the way. If we're having coyote problems I'll take along my .223 CZ, which is also my primary varmint rifle. As far as pistols go, only time I've packed on horseback was a few summers ago when we were driving cattle high up in the Sierras and while crashing through the brush I found a complex irrigation system most likely used for growing marijuana. So, after that I put my CZ75 9mm in my saddle bag in case I saw someone that was a little wacky.

Now, as far as what the cowboys in my area used to carry, it was always a lever action, either a Winchester 94 in some of the obscure calibers that are now coming back in CAS, or a model 95 30-40 Krag, and finally a model 88 .308. When coyotes or bears were bad, a pistol would be taken, but guns were a nuisance a lot of times to carry around, and that is the truth.

Battlespace
April 1, 2005, 03:42 PM
I have my great gandfather's Model 94 in 38-55. It is a little beat up, but I will never restore it as each mark and scratch on it were made long ago by one of my heros.

theCZ
April 1, 2005, 03:53 PM
The sights on my grandfather's 30/40 Krag (made in 1896) had been set on the ~300 yard setting for so long that the spring had completely gone out of them and would not stay put when set on any different setting. I suspect that he didn't actually shoot deer at 300 yards, but 200 would have been about right for the mulies in our area.

No_Brakes23
April 1, 2005, 04:01 PM
bratch beat me to it, 1911 and Marlin lever action in .45-70 were the first two things that came out of my mouth.

In reality though, I'd rather have an AK/SKS or AR for the rifle.

What does a cowboy need a firearm for? Varmints? Self defense?

20cows
April 1, 2005, 04:15 PM
No_Brakes23,

See my earlier edited post.

griz
April 1, 2005, 05:09 PM
Let me try another twist on this. How about if you had access to modern arms and ammo, but everything else was the same as 1890? Still on horseback, towns still few and far between.

Given that I think I want a stainless bolt action in a synthetic stock, scoped, in a do everything caliber such as 308 or 270. The handgun would be caple of self defence and pot shots at critters. Ironically, I might take a Blackhawk in 45 Colt, or if DA seemed desireable I might get something like the S&W's titanium 44. Whatever handgun it would be corrosion resistant like the rifle, they WILL get wet.

Lonestar.45
April 1, 2005, 05:17 PM
A single shot .410 snake charmer for pests, and slugs kept handy in case an animal needs to be put down. Or maybe a .22 with ratshot for snakes and some CCI stingers for 'yotes and feral hogs. Not romantic, but I know enough of them to know that's pretty much what a lot of them do/would carry. Unless it's deer season, in which case a bolt action deer rifle is added to the mix for truck carry.

MountainPeak
April 1, 2005, 06:50 PM
Glock 20 and a Ruger Mini 14.

one45auto
April 1, 2005, 07:34 PM
A Winchester Model 94 Trapper and a Ruger Vaquero, both chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge.

Bill2k1
April 1, 2005, 08:37 PM
I would say a .357 glock and a shotgun (any of the major ones) with slugs/birdshot/buckshot in the pack. You can pretty much do the most with that setup.

Kurt S.
April 1, 2005, 09:20 PM
Mostly what 20cows said. We must have hung out in the same part of west Texas.

I've known at least several working cowboys. They carried a mid caliber center fire bolt action rifle in the pickup. A few packed .22 handguns, different carry modes.

I knew one that carried a 1911 that looked like it had been rode hard and put away wet. Could still shoot, though.

airbornekyle1
April 1, 2005, 09:25 PM
an AR-15 with the .50 cal boewolf upper. and the magnum reasearch desert eagle in .50 cal. and i intend on shooting them at the same time one in one hand and one inthe other. from a horse. :neener:

mustanger98
April 2, 2005, 02:07 PM
I'd have to say it depends on where I'm going and what I expect to do when I get there.

As much as I like .45Colt, I'd pick a S&W .44spl or Ruger .44magnum either one for the increase in power. Or, if it had to be a .45, it might be a S&W 625, or just as likely a 1911A1, in .45ACP. According to Mike Venturino, when black powder gave way to smokeless, the .45Colt case was found to be too voluminous causing way to much erratic range of pressures. .45ACP gives much more consistent pressures with the same powder charge weights than the .45Colt will because of the way the powder is confined to a smaller space so as to not be all to the rear or all the the front of the case. This is part of why the US Army, with the advent of smokeless powders, put the .45Colt on the obsolete pile and went with the ACP.

For rifles, I'd be just as likely to reach for a Savage Model 11 with Williams FP/TK in .243Winchester as a Winchester '94 in .30-30. Just depends on what I'm after and they'll both ride on the saddle or in the pickup. If I'm after large and maybe dangerous game, I guess I'd pick a .45-70 from Marlin or H&R either one. Rustlers? I guess I'd go to my Garand. It'll pack ahorseback too; just look through old photos and you'll see it was issued to cavalry too.

NMshooter
April 2, 2005, 02:18 PM
Folks back then liked high capacity and rapid firing weapons.

The weapons have improved a bit, and most people still like those attributes.

S&W44
April 2, 2005, 04:10 PM
How about one of these

Farnham
April 3, 2005, 12:42 AM
High Noon/Magnificent Seven/Man With No Name cowboy:

M1A and two Glock 17's

Reg'lar ordinary working cowboy:

Savage 10FP .308 and a Glock 17

Hey, I like .308's and Glocks... ;)

Hot brass
April 3, 2005, 01:17 AM
7 1/2" Super Blackhawk 44 mag with plenty 250gr hard cast bullets propelled by 21 gr of 296. A .223 varmint rig.

The SBH will take care of anything out to 100 yds. The .223 will reach out and touch.

stevelyn
April 3, 2005, 03:42 AM
Browning HP and a FAL Para.

GunnySkox
April 3, 2005, 04:45 AM
Hmm, modern-day cowboy..

Sidearm: Beretta 92 or CZ85 pistol (9mm, because one could carry [a little] more 9mm than .40/.45 for a given size/weight, and if we're going to be on the trail for a while, I'd be better served either carrying less overall [same no. of rounds] or carrying more for the same weight)

Rifle:
AR-15
--.50 Beowulf upper (for the BIG things that go "Brawwrrr!" in the night)
--.22 LR upper (for the little things, the kinds of things that go in a stew pot and make everybody's night on the trail a little easier.)

The ol' 9 is for people and small-to-moderate predator takin' care of (at short range, obviously) while the .50 is for dealing with any sketchy folks at a distance, or any large, vicious-type predator of-taking-care, and the .22 is in case one comes across an unfortunate small-game creature, with which to spice up the pickin's of the daily foodstuffs.

'Course, I don't know much about cowboys.

~Slam_Fire

mustanger98
April 3, 2005, 03:02 PM
Recommended Reading: "Hell, I Was There" by Elmer Keith. :cool:

Also, "Sixguns" by Keith.

20cows
April 3, 2005, 10:17 PM
I second the suggestion.

Edit: How do you underline a title?

mustanger98
April 3, 2005, 10:52 PM
Edit: How do you underline a title?

Over this box where you type your message, there's a drop menu [Font]. Right under that are three buttons:

B I U

Whatever you want to underline, just highlight it, then click on "U".

scotjute
April 4, 2005, 09:51 AM
Ruger Single Six in .22 magnum every day stuff. Ruger Security Six when there may be need for something bigger. Use "covered" holsters to keep gun clean. Shortened Swedish Mauser for longer distances.

Chut1st
April 4, 2005, 10:31 AM
Well, I ain't a cowboy but we have a farm. I usually carry a Kimber .45 everywhere I go so that's a given. As far as a truck gun, an AR-15 is usually in the back seat in case I see a coyote or a there's a feral dog bothering the horses.

firesafety3
April 4, 2005, 12:53 PM
Modern cowboy" kinda brought to mind something different when I read it.

Judging from the old cowboy and indian movies I watched growing up, seems like our boys overseas fit the bill of "modern cowboy". I do believe they're wearing the white hats.

Along those lines I'd take my two favorite range guns, my Bushmaster AR and the HK USP45 Tactical in the drop leg holster.

mustanger98
April 4, 2005, 03:12 PM
scotjute:
Ruger Single Six in .22 magnum every day stuff. Ruger Security Six when there may be need for something bigger. Use "covered" holsters to keep gun clean. Shortened Swedish Mauser for longer distances.

I believe the SingleSix with the .22magnum cylinder would be a good choice. I say that as the owner of one for the last 12 years. A S&W Model 48- same caliber- would also be a good choice with a change of grips.

The Swede Mauser, well, if you can get a M38 Cavalry Model (23" barrel, bent bolt handle), then why shorten it? I've had a project in mind for a good while that involves taking a M38 Swede and removing the rear sight (also involves correcting front sight height), installing a Williams FP/TK, and dropping it into a Bell&Carlson synthetic. This would also involve handloading. Should be good for at least 500yds if the shooter is capable.

Chut1st:
As far as a truck gun, an AR-15 is usually in the back seat in case I see a coyote or a there's a feral dog bothering the horses.

Well, I remember one of Sheriff Jim Wilson's "Gunsmoke" columns in Shooting Times. He was talking about the question of "what is a ranch rifle". It came around to the fact that a ranch rifle is any rifle a rancher/cowboy/farmer carries as a working do-it-all kind of deal. Much as I would favor a Mini-14 over the AR15, if it works, that's what matters. Sheriff Wilson's article covered a wide range of rifles used in this role.

Judging from the old cowboy and indian movies I watched growing up, seems like our boys overseas fit the bill of "modern cowboy". I do believe they're wearing the white hats.

Along those lines I'd take my two favorite range guns, my Bushmaster AR and the HK USP45 Tactical in the drop leg holster.

I think firesafety3 is right. And the drop leg holster bears a striking ressemblance to the Hollywood drop loop rig made popular by use in so many horse operas.

W Turner
April 4, 2005, 05:05 PM
Marlin .30-30 and a Glock 20 with a spare Advantage Arms .22LR upper.

The .30-30 would be rechambered in .30-30 Ackley Improved and be set up as a Scout Rifle with AO Ghost Ring sights, AO Scout mount and a Burris Scout Scope.

The Glock 20 would have a plain black rear with a front nite sight. The .22 upper is for small game as needed. The 10mm could take anything form jackrabbits (with FMJ ammo) up to short range deer, not to mention 2-legged vermin.

W

mustanger98
April 4, 2005, 05:14 PM
This is the first time I've heard anything about ".30-30 Ackley Improved". I've not seen it in stores and I've not seen dies for it. This, however, does not mean it it non-existant. What's the deal?

The 10mm could take anything form jackrabbits (with FMJ ammo) up to short range deer, not to mention 2-legged vermin.

As I understand it, in most states, FMJ's are illegal for hunting purposes. I beleive Alabama is one of those states.

Dr.Rob
April 4, 2005, 05:19 PM
Then:

Colt 1878 New Frontier .45 DA with a lanyard loop and buffalo horn grips. That's one 'victorian' looking old hogleg, and it has a little more character than an SAA.

Maybe a Marlin in .38-55 if not bigger... (saw an old Winchester lever gun that dwarfed my 45-70's like 50-90 or some such thing... huge receiver).

Carbines are a nice idea, but when you need a RIFLE you need a rifle. You aren't going to put down a Buffalo or shoot through a horse trough with a 'pistol' caliber carbine. Then again the little Colt Lightning Rifle sure did hold a lot of cartridges. .38-40 maybe?

Of course you need a scattergun behind the bar/on the stagecoach.. make mine an 1878 Colt 10ga. please.

Now:

Nowadays with modern smokeless powder your choices are far more wide-ranging. I've ridden predator control sorties while mending fences before... the only .223 (varmint gun) I had was an AK... fit well in the scabbard with the 5 shot magazine. I think I had a Colt New Service .45 on my hip that day. Tres "Red Dawn." If I was 'looking' for trouble, that old proven AK action could stand up well to saddle life... dirt grit, blowing sand etc. Not to mention 30 rounds on tap when rustlers come to call or the sheriff rounds up a posse. Ask those afghanis... that's a tough rifle.

Still most 'cowboys' and ranchers I know still keep a 30-30 in their trucks, Marlins and Winchesters both. The Marlin 336 is a solid performer for deer elk, black bear, black hats, whatever if it HAS to. I've killed an antelope with one.

Now The Marlin 1894 CB model in 44 Mag is a 'pistol' caliber that hits a lot harder than it's black powder equivalents... jacketed bullets can be pushed faster and farther than old soft lead. That's a rifle I'd love to have. Limited in range, but no doubt you can kill a deer or predator with it.

As far as a sideram... a good heavy revolver in 357 44 or 45 would be just fine, but you do see a lot of ranchers favoring the 1911... a Glock just don't belong on a cowboy. And while granddad's SAA is too valuable for open range duty these days, a Ruger Vaquero can certainly fit the bill and be loaded up to pack a whallop that old time six-gunners only dreamed of. When I'm hunting you can usually find a 7.5 inch Ruger .44 mag worn in a cavalry style cross draw holster, or that previously mentioned Colt New Service.

As for a shotgun? I'll let technology come forward a few years and opt for a good old Remington 870 3 inch 12 ga.

Sam
April 4, 2005, 06:34 PM
Around here it's a draw on handguns,
S&W 19"s and Blackhawks in 357.

For the rifle it's easy.
SKS's with bayonet. You can stick it in the ground by the bayo while working fence etc..

Sam

enfield
April 4, 2005, 07:26 PM
Smith model 66 and an 1894 Marlin in .44 mag.

Dionysusigma
April 4, 2005, 09:15 PM
If I was still rounding up horses, throwing bales, and shoveling manure (and had to be armed), I'd have to go for something light, like a S&W Mountain Lite .44 Special. Light enough to not be a pain, but still pretty effective when the need arises.

http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/userimages/163688_large.jpg

Texian Pistolero
April 4, 2005, 09:24 PM
Some years ago, I was cruising Idaho and Utah and saw more than one SKS UP on the easy rider rifle rack. If you think about it, for the cost, thats hard to beat, particularly now that soft point 7.62 x 39 MM Combloc ammo is cheap and available. You got TEN rounds of "thutty, thutty" ballistics at bargain basement PRICE, rapid fire semi-auto without breaking your cheek weld or sight picture!

Somebody's earler temple recommend of a .243 cal turnbolt or Savage lever action ALSO makes a whole lotta sense!

Also, I'm thinking that, for a working cowboy, having a handgun strapped on the hip can be a real pain, in terms of workin' man's body balance while actually tossin' hay bales.

But, depending on conditions, my choice of strapped on handgun would be ONE of the following:

.22 Ruger Mark II semi auto

.357 stainless Security Six mit 158 gn JHP, with two speedloadesrs

Glock 19, (cuze that my everyday carry)

or perhaps, no pistola at all.

At the end of the day,

a real working cowboy will use what he's already got.

Brian41
April 4, 2005, 09:55 PM
lets see....
Back then:
2 .45 Colt revolvers (one with a short bbl) & Lever gun, 12ga side by side on the horse

today:
Glock 20 & 29, scoped M14 .308 & Mossberg 500 w/ all the tactical accessories.

One of Many
April 4, 2005, 11:13 PM
Today:

Savage 99 lever action (4 round magazine) - .308 Win

Ithaca 12 Ga. 2-3/4"

Ruger Single Six .22 Mag

I already own all three.

The Savage is very accurate, and good for deer/antelope at up to 300 yards.

The Ithaca is good for the pot, and with SLUGS can handle Big Bears at close range.

The .22 Mag is for varmits at close range.

Carry with appropriate gear.

W Turner
April 5, 2005, 10:01 AM
mustanger98- The .30-30 AI is somewhat of a wildcat cartridge that was developed by PO Ackley. It uses .30-30 cases that are fire-formed in the new chamber and increases the upper limit of the .30-30 by about a hundred yards or so. The good thing about this chambering is that you can still shoot regular .30-30 ammo in it as well.

As far as hunting with FMJ goes, you're right, in some states it is illegal to hunt with FMJ, but if you are shooting at a jackrabbit or similar small table fare, it makes a lot more sense to use FMJ that doesn't expand that it does to use an expanding JHP that is going to ruin a lot more meat. Besides, it would probably be used for targets of opportunity rather than for hard-core hunting.

Oh, and I would be using this set-up if I was a cowboy out west where there are real ranches. In Alabama, you see a lot more wannabe cowboys (goat ropers) that would be scared to death to even be on a horse than anything else. Around here a "ranch" is a single-wide, a couple of cows, a couple of goats and a old swaybacked mare that you keep in the yard just so you can justify the $800 you have tied up in PBRA gear, Wrangler jeans, tombstone belt-buckles, Justin Ropers and tin spurs. Oh, and don't forget the $200 duster for wearing to the Wal-Mart on friday nights.
W

20cows
April 5, 2005, 12:31 PM
Probably not. I'm a full-time school teacher and a part-time rancher. If I'm just coming out to check the stock, I usually just have my ccw, a Kimber 1911. If I'm going out to do much more than that and I had to change out of my school clothes any way, I usually get the Uberti .45 Colt. (No, I don't carry at school, but I remedy that as soon as I get home.)

I carry the .45 Colt in a home-made loop holster high and tight so it is out of the way for nearly everything I need to do. On the rare occasion it gets in the way I put it in the truck, not far off. I usually only carry a rifle regularly during deer season, an Arisaka 99 rechambered in 7.7-06. I've taken deer out to 276 yds with it. Not bad for a minimumly sporterized Japanese servce rifle made late in the war (shortened the barrel, cut the stock and added a scope and thumb safety).

Dwayne Russell
December 30, 2005, 02:21 AM
My personal packing iron when I head for the backcountry with my horses is a .500 Linebaugh made by John Linebaugh, a custom knife by Dennis Friedly, all wrapped up in Keith Seidel Leather. All of these guys are located in Cody, WY and they make incredible stuff. But then you be the judge.

Dwayne

mountain_cowboy
December 30, 2005, 11:54 AM
I've always tried to have a good Marlin lever gun to pair up with each of my Rugers. My newest set is this Acusport Bisley with laminate stocks and the warning removed and a Marlin 1894SS LTD, both in .44mag/spcl. The Marlin is #26 of a limited run of 351 made for Davidson's.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/mtn_cowboy/1a246b9d.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/mtn_cowboy/16b22fb1.jpg

another okie
December 30, 2005, 12:09 PM
My wife's family are full-time ranchers here in Oklahoma. On horseback they almost never have a gun. In one truck they keep a .30-.30, in the other a Ruger mini-14, both basically for coyotes. On very rare occasions I have known one of them to have a .357 revolver in the truck. When they ranched in the mountains they usually kept bolt action rifles around with scopes for deer and elk.

ball3006
December 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
own guns............most are convicted felons.............chris3

engineer151515
December 30, 2005, 12:31 PM
This is it for me.
.375 Ruger & Winchester

Common ammo: .357 / .38spl

shane justice
December 30, 2005, 01:18 PM
No better rifle...for the Cowboy...now...then or tomorrow....

Shiloh Sharps.Reach out and touch someone....

http://www.shilohrifle.com/images/business1874.jpg

or even...

http://www.shilohrifle.com/images/quigley1874.jpg

or maybe....

http://www.shilohrifle.com/images/sadlerifle1874.jpg

middy
December 30, 2005, 01:58 PM
From what the real cowboys I know carry, the most popular seem to be:

Marlin .30-30
.357 revolver of any kind
.22mag revolver (for dispatching wild hogs in the traps)

.22mag bolt-action
.223 mini-14
.243 bolt-action
These 3 are for running down coyotes

Rem 870 (mostly for shooting clay out by the pond :D )

jerkface11
December 30, 2005, 06:17 PM
An SKS and a GP100 in .357.

TexasRifleman
December 30, 2005, 06:20 PM
Well considering back then the Pacemaker was the arm of the day, and the Peacemaker was generally state of the art, you'd suspect the modern day Cowboy to do the same thing.

He'd prolly carry a Glock or Sig in .40S&W and an AR15.

He carried the lever action because it was state of the art too, not because it was cool.

kentucky_smith
December 30, 2005, 06:56 PM
Cattle Farmer in Kentucky.

Dad
Handgun: never, .22 in the house, somewhere.
Rifle: M70 Winchester in .243. Coyotes and Deer
Because that's what he has.

Me.
Handgun: CZ 40b and RIA .45, just because I like handguns. .22 Bearcat for snakes sometimes in summer.

Rifle: Sporter Mauser in .308 or NEF in .223 for coyote.

Vet: Carries in his truck chock full o' stuff, a .45 Colt Peacemaker with 6" barrels. For putting down dying cows. :eek: I kid you not. Sits in back door pocket of ext cab Cheby.

yonderway
December 30, 2005, 07:03 PM
Let me try another twist on this. How about if you had access to modern arms and ammo, but everything else was the same as 1890? Still on horseback, towns still few and far between.

The AK47 is the modern cowboy's weapon of choice, under this definition. But what you're describing exists now in sub-saharan africa, afghanistan, and other regions. You look and see, most men are armed with the AK47.

Sam
December 30, 2005, 09:54 PM
Down here the combo is a 357 Blackhawk and an M44. They really like the M44 because they can open the bayonet and jam it into the ground while working on the fence. Second choice on teh rifle is the SKS but it has to have the bayonet.

Sam

f4t9r
December 30, 2005, 10:46 PM
SIG P220 & AR15

wingnutx
December 31, 2005, 12:54 AM
Are you talking about the mythical cowboys chasing down outlaws or the real cowboys shoveling crap and building fences?

What about gay cowboys eating pudding?

mustanger98
December 31, 2005, 01:09 AM
What about gay cowboys eating pudding?

I think that one just got way off topic. Reference to "Brokeback Mountain"?:barf: :cuss:

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

el44vaquero
December 31, 2005, 01:25 AM
Colt .45 and Winchester 45-70

Dwayne Russell
December 31, 2005, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE=mountain_cowboy]I've always tried to have a good Marlin lever gun to pair up with each of my Rugers. . . . .

A man after my own heart! Thanks for posting that great pair. I never thought I would find a suitable backup to my .500 Linebaugh, however my Marlin 1895GS chambered in 45-70 is definitely up to the test. Since this picture was taken I have installed a set of XS Sights ring sights. The ring sights acquire a target very quickly and the 45-70 pretty much does all the rest. I have been giving some thought to maybe getting the Scout Scope mount, has anyone installed one in stainless? This is great package for the mounted horseman and backcountry enthusiast.

Hooray for modern sixguns and levers!

wingnutx
December 31, 2005, 02:42 AM
That was a South Park reference. Sorry :D

dodge
December 31, 2005, 10:25 AM
I would have to say that my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt (5 1/2" barrel) and my Marlin 1895 Guide gun in 45/70 would be my choice. Both of these can be loaded from mild to wild depending on your taste. On the Marlin I have a set of William's WGRS peepsights and on the Blackhawk just the factory setup.

Capt Charlie
December 31, 2005, 12:47 PM
I guess it depends on where you're at. Right tool for the job and all that. Around here, the only pesky critters are groundhogs and coyotes. Groundhog holes and horses don't mix :( , so I take 'em out any chance I get. I also have to think of my horse; centerfires are just too loud to fire off of a horse (I don't think they make earmuffs for horses :D ), and out of just under 200 horses on Faith Ranch, we only have three that are trained to shoot off of. All that said, I usually have a scoped Ruger 10/22 in a scabbard, and my sidearm is a Smith mod. 19 4" in my saddlebags. That's pretty much only for 2-legged pesky critters ;) .

Now if I was in hog or grizzly country, it would undoubtedly be a .45/70 in the scabbard and a Smith mod. 29 on my hip.

assegai
December 31, 2005, 10:40 PM
If you use a truck or an ATV, an AR-15 or sks would be nice. A pocket centerfire for bad guys, and an accurate, lightwt .22 pistol would be good. Something like a smith 422, which groups 1.5" or better at 25 yds. It only weighs about 20 ozs, and it's only 7.5" long, and it has great sights and trigger pull. If you didn't leave the gun when you went into town, just disassemble it, hide the parts, and it would be very unlikely to be stolen. Might even take the bolt and its carrier with ya, if it was an AR. With such a setup, you'd have real capability on deer, feral dogs, coyotes, yet you could also quietly and cheaply take rats, skunks, prairie dogs, etc.

rfurtkamp
December 31, 2005, 11:20 PM
The working guys out here that I sell guns to want:

Something cheap that'll hold up so they can sell it to someone else next season if they move on to other work. An awful lot of Ruger stainless used revolvers seem to get sold.

Rifle just doesn't seem to happen for them - I've never had one of the guys ask for them or buy shells. I'm sure some have 'em, but it's not something I hear about.

jtward01
January 1, 2006, 02:03 AM
Well, a few years ago I bought a gun that had belonged to a real, working, modern Texas cowboy. It was a Colt single-action New Frontier in .22LR. He carried it for about 25 years with first two cylinders loaded with snake shot and the next three with high velocity hollowpoints for rabbits to put in the pot. The dealer I bought it from said the guy traded it in on a new Ruger Vaquero in .357 magnum because packs of feral dogs were becoming quite a problem in that area and the rancher felt he needed something with more stopping power than a .22LR.

Now, for my choices, I'd probably go with a K-frame Smith in .357 and a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 'cause I'd want something effective on deer if I got lucky enough to get a shot.

akodo
January 1, 2006, 09:10 PM
two things about a cowboy's guns (as opposed to a gunfighter's or lawmans guns)

They were generally cheap, they were viewed as tools.

Losts of cowboys had cap and ball revolvers long after metallic cartridges were available, and they were the ones who were spending $3 to have a cap and ball converted rather than buying another brand spanking new one for $7

I'd say some sort of full power rifle, be it a 30-06, a sporterized ww2 surplus rifle, SKS or the like.

Round this out with either a .22lr handgun, like a ruger bearcat or mark22, or else an inexpensive full powered handgun. A used .357 S&W 4-6 inch barrel, an inexpensive 1911 clone, a highpower clone (FEG, etc) or even those inexpensive gunshow finds like a makarov or that egyptian hewlett(?) old beretta knockoff.

mustanger98
January 2, 2006, 12:20 AM
two things about a cowboy's guns (as opposed to a gunfighter's or lawmans guns)

They were generally cheap, they were viewed as tools.

Losts of cowboys had cap and ball revolvers long after metallic cartridges were available, and they were the ones who were spending $3 to have a cap and ball converted rather than buying another brand spanking new one for $7

This, I would say of the "old days", is because the average $30/month cowhand had to watch his budget. Of course, I'm taking a certain measure of my info from Louis L'Amour here in saying $40/month ("fightin' wages") was more likely to be able to afford a little more expensive peice. However, the professional gunfighter probably came with a higher fee than that, assuming the typical assasin for hire.

I'd say some sort of full power rifle, be it a 30-06, a sporterized ww2 surplus rifle, SKS or the like.

This stands to reason as time progressed. Elmer Keith, known as a cowpuncher and rancher, was on the Montana and Idaho National Guard rifle teams at different times and he used '03's and sporter variants during part of his career. While many real cowboys seem to have used leverguns, Mr. Keith in his one words, was no fan of the .30-30 (and presumably anything lighter). Also, from my reading "here and there", I've developed an impression that many ranch cowboys were armed by their employers and the guns remained with the employer when the cowboy moved on.

Round this out with either a .22lr handgun, like a ruger bearcat or mark22, or else an inexpensive full powered handgun. A used .357 S&W 4-6 inch barrel, an inexpensive 1911 clone, a highpower clone (FEG, etc) or even those inexpensive gunshow finds like a makarov or that egyptian hewlett(?) old beretta knockoff.

Those are all viable, IMO, for their intended uses, as part of a cowboy's equipment as picked out by the individual. That Egyptian knockoff of the Beretta was the Helwan(sp?).

pluvo
January 2, 2006, 10:01 AM
My father wasn't a 'working' cowboy so-to-speak. He was born & raised in Ohio, but lived all his adult life in the boondocks of Colorado & Arizona. He didn't have a farm or a ranch, didn't drive cattle or mend fences, but he did ride horses and run cookouts and such, and keep the cityfolk tourists out of trouble. He definately had that western spirit just the same.

His combo was an M1 carbine and a 7.5" Blackhawk in .30 carbine. I can't say why as it never dawned on me to ask him, but I would hazard a guess that it had something to do with the M1 carbine that served him so well in Korea.

Times changed and he sold the M1 as he didn't need it any more. :fire:

I do still have that Blackhawk and the High Standard .22 revolver he carried for snakes & such (and taught me on) as well as his 'dress' hat and a few of his knives.

The hat doesn't fit my big head, but I use one of his filet knives on a regular basis. My EDC is a Glock, but that Blackhawk is always loaded should I need it. This year I'll be teaching my daughter how to shoot with the same .22 I learned on.

I live in the city now, and a sitting at a comuter all day is a long way from riding the range, but I still carry some of that frontier spirit with me... all thanks to my father who passed that down to me and I will pass on to my daughter.

U.S.SFC_RET
January 2, 2006, 12:07 PM
A good repeatin 22lr for the varmints that make the holes in the ground. A good 30. 30 model 94 winchester for the feral dogs that tear into your cattle ought to do it.

doc tc
March 13, 2006, 12:12 AM
marlin 30-30 and a kimber .45, neither of which are high-tech. ammo everywhere ammo is.

the 30-30 is adequate for any cowboy needing to kill a cow. and the .45 is plenty sidearm for self defense.

simple enough.

doc

PlayboyPenguin
March 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
I think I would have my .45colt Ruger Birds Head Vaquero in my hip holster and my .45/70 Marlin 1895GS in my saddle holster.

Revolver Justice
October 10, 2009, 09:42 PM
For my neck of the woods in SW Virginia, I terrain in fairly wooded, so I would probably pack my Glock 17 and a couple of extra magazines along with a Winchester 94 in 30-30 or a Remington 870 riot gun in 12 gauage.

gyvel
October 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
In the days of the Old West, the guns would have been a Colt Peacemaker or maybe a S&W No.3 and a Winchester 1873 in .44-40.

Unfortunately, the reality is that most cowboys couldn't afford either one of the aforementioned Colts or Winchesters, so the likelihood is that most still carried surplus 1851 Colt Navys or 1860 Armys.:D

Most of the guys I see today that herd cattle usually carry either a .357 or .44 magnum of some kind, usually a Ruger because, again, they still can't afford the Colt or (in the case of the .44) the S&W.

Elbert P . Suggins
October 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
I've been on this place all my life and for carry in my situation a double action revolver in 357 and Mini 14 with 5 shot clip and no scope that fits in a saddle scabbard with a carry on 20 shot clip fits the bill very nicely for farm and ranch carry. What else would ya need except a sandwich and a pretty woman?

owlhoot
October 11, 2009, 01:01 AM
I'd still be well content with a Colt SA and Win 73, both in 44-40.

DirtyHarry31
October 11, 2009, 07:15 AM
My setup for me when I retire to New Mexico for my GMC is 357 mag, my Rossi 92 rifle, My S&W 686 4" for my side & My S&W 360 M&P for conceal/backup. The combo covers all situations up to 200 yrds, and that's enough "personal space" for me! I can carry two calibers of ammo (357/38), can get it anywhere and is a very effective round.

Aaron12
October 11, 2009, 07:39 AM
talk about bringing back the dead.....

Mp7
October 11, 2009, 07:53 AM
SKS with folding stock
and a Glock

glockman19
October 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
I would say a .357mag or .44mag combo.

Revolver:
.....Ruger
.....S&W

Rifle:
.....Marlin
.....Puma
.....Winchester

Dr.Rob
October 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
Now that I have an 1894 Marlin in 44 magnum, I kind of want one in .32-20.

You know that would be a great coyote rifle. ;) Lots of deer killed with that old cartridge too.

Iggy
October 11, 2009, 07:42 PM
There's a S&W Mdl 19 2.5" under that vest and there is an AR-180 with a 30 round mag in the pickup.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/5005/chipandhorse25.jpg

paintballdude902
October 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
new america? ummm depends what u view as new america

for me mini-14 and a 1911

for the more tactical guys probably an ar-15 and a glock

pikid89
October 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, you might be surprised to find out that the "gun to grab" for many ranchers out here is a bolt action scoped 22-250. The most likely thing to have to shoot is a coyote.

A rancher i know has that in his truck along with his 30-06

on his horse he has only a ruger single 6 in .22 mag

and IMO the old cowboy type lever actions just wouldnt cut it on open prairies(see preferred bullet above) and cow pastures
(a 30-30 or 45-70 would be useless on a 300 yard shot on a coyote)
as a tube fed magazine allows for only flat tip bullets thus affecting long range performance (excluding hornady leveRevolution bullets) and all the cowboys i know dont buy premium ammo...just good ole core lokts the deadliest mushroom in the woods

mljdeckard
October 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
Some of the cowboys I know go traditional with SA revolvers and lever guns, but I also know some who go with 1911s or Glocks, and a LOT of Mini-14s. I haven't seen some of them in a long time, I might be interested to see how they like my SKS as a horse/truck gun in comparison.

In high school you would have seen me riding a horse down main street with BDU pants, a Cure t-shirt, jungle boots with spurs, and a 1911. Yes, the tourists LOVED me.

9MMare
October 11, 2009, 10:32 PM

You might be long gone, but if not, high five!

9MMare
October 11, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hey Iggy. Nice pic, nice pony.

My pony spent some time ranching in WY and OR and I'm hoping that he's been exposed to gun fire....will probably find out this winter!

sonier
October 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
ok modern cowboy here, in my saddle scabard i have ususally, a 22 mag stainless or 30/30 winchester, side arm is a 357 magnum colt python.

BTW glocks will get you killed out here, and so does any semiauto

jordan1948
October 11, 2009, 11:04 PM
.45-120 and Colt Peacmaker .45lc

mljdeckard
October 11, 2009, 11:30 PM
sonier-

There's a difference between "They will get you killed" and "I just don't like them".

Dimis
October 12, 2009, 12:00 AM
Modern Cowboy:
Pair of Ruger Redhawks in of course .45colt
Marlin lever rifle probably in .45-70 but the full barrel not the carbine
remington 870 pump shotgun

otherwise
kimber 1911 .45ACP
colt 6920 5.56 ar-15
mossberg 590

BBQLS1
October 12, 2009, 09:13 AM
I think the 1911 and .45-70 is a good suggestion. I might also look at a scout sized rifle in .308.

BBQLS1
October 12, 2009, 09:17 AM
For the rifle it's easy.
SKS's with bayonet. You can stick it in the ground by the bayo while working fence etc..

Awesome!!!

Coyote3855
October 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
NEF .17 HRM with Leupold 3.5x10 in the truck, Ruger speed six .357 on the belt. The .17 is for ground squirrels. I leave the coyotes and foxes alone.

texas bulldog
October 12, 2009, 01:54 PM
keep it simple:

marlin .30-30 and just about any .357 revolver. used would be just fine.

Redneck with a 40
October 12, 2009, 08:10 PM
Marlin 30-30 and Ruger GP-100.:)

230therapy
October 12, 2009, 08:31 PM
Modern cowboys are not stupid. Why use a single action revolver and lever action rifle when high powered bolt action rifles, good optics, AR-15's, AK-47's, FAL's, AR-10's and M1A's are available?

Heck...most cowboys I know have Masters degrees in nutrition, agronomy, soil science or reproductive physiology. They use these skills to really maximize production. They have to do this in order to stay competitive. They use the best equipment they can afford...they may not have 20 1911's and a stack of AR's, but the ones I know do have good stuff.

sean m
October 13, 2009, 12:21 AM
Marlin 1894 in 357 mag with a GP100 with 4" barrel. Or a Ruger Ranch rifle with Ruger P95

DNS
October 13, 2009, 12:26 AM
I live in west Texas and the only problems here are coyotes or rattlers so an SA revolver in .22 mag and a pump .22 mag rifle are all I use. I've thought about a pump 760 rifle a couple times though since the 91/30 is kinda long for the truck.

Mike

X-Rap
October 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
I would have a good Ruger Mk1 Target mod with a few extra mags for filling the stew pot plus a short lever in 30-30 or 45-70. Top it off with a 3" Titaniun/Scandium 357 and a couple speed loaders for the 2 legged varmints.

theotherwaldo
October 13, 2009, 12:42 AM
The tasks, duties, forms of transportation, and equipment vary so greatly among cowhands that deciding what weapons they'd carry is a bit of a joke. I mean, a south Texas ranch hand will have little in common with an Alabama, California, or South Dakota ranch hand. If their guns are similar it'll be pure coincidence.

X-Rap
October 13, 2009, 12:45 AM
The tasks, duties, forms of transportation, and equipment vary so greatly among cowhands that deciding what weapons they'd carry is a bit of a joke. I mean, a south Texas ranch hand will have little in common with an Alabama, California, or South Dakota ranch hand. If their guns are similar it'll be pure coincidence.

How the heck did Gus and Woodrow make it all the way from Texas to Montana with the same guns? or did they switch out on the way?

nwilliams
October 13, 2009, 12:56 AM
Don't know about modern cowboys but I can tell you what future cowboys will be carrying:D

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/SerenityAK.jpg

BBQLS1
October 13, 2009, 08:39 AM
Love that show.

rizbunk77
October 13, 2009, 09:07 AM
I grew up in cowboy country and here is a dose of reality for you:
Today's working cowboys have:
1. A bolt action rifle in a fast caliber to handle deer, coyotes, badgers, prairie dogs etc. (This one rides along in the pickup)
2. 12 gauge pump or semi auto for pheasants and grouse.
3. Big revolver because they are fun
4. 22 rimfire

Every cowboy is different but this is what I have seen.
The cowboys I grew up around didn't carry a rifle on horseback, just a rope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns for a Modern Cowboy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!