Are Olympic Arms AR-15 any good?

PDA

whm1974
April 1, 2005, 12:17 AM
I have been wanting an AR-15 for a while now. But I don't $1000 or more to spend on one, and I don't think I would be will to spend that much if I did.

However looking at wwwGunsamerica.com I see that Olympic Arm has AR-15's that are reasonabled priced.
I want a plinker or something to shoot not a compation rifle.

I would also prefer a 16" barrel and maybe a CAR15/M4 stock.

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Olympic Arms AR-15 any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lennyjoe
April 1, 2005, 12:26 AM
I have a post ban PCR-1 with the 16" SUM barrel.

Since I have had it (got it used in a trade) its been flawless. I have shot well over 3,000 rounds thru it.

I was impressed when I was hitting gongs out to 300 yds with factory ammo and iron sights.

RRTX
April 1, 2005, 12:41 AM
I believe that is a PCR-2 you have there :D

whm1974
April 1, 2005, 12:43 AM
Just about every AR-15 I've seen is like over $1000 retail. It's my understanding that the Armed forces only Pays like $500 or for each M-16, So why do most AR-15s cost so much?

-Bill

lycanthrope
April 1, 2005, 12:50 AM
You can slap an upper on a lower for around $515 and have an AR. The major companies ask high prices, because they can.

Olympics had a bad rep early on due to tight mag wells and the misconception that they all have cast recievers. Currently, only the Plinker model has a cast lower. I have the OA-03PT and it is very well made. It also shoots tighter than the Bushy carbine.

Matthew748
April 1, 2005, 07:30 AM
I have had a PCR 1 model for a few years and have only had one problem so far. Some how the little pin that secures the gas tube to the front site base worked loose. I replaced the pin and have not any problems since. The only magazines I have had trouble with are no name gun show specials. USGI, Orlite, and the nice steel British mags all work fine.

TC66
April 1, 2005, 08:31 AM
Currently, only the Plinker model has a cast lower.

This is no longer true. A factory standard rifle, this Plinker comes with a 16" barrel, forged receivers, A1 rear sight, A2 buttstock, bayonet lug, flash suppressor and more.

http://www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_plinker_models

I am very happy with my Olympic Rifles but I built them both so I could get exactly what I wanted. Only complaint I have is the black oxide finish on the SUM SS barrel was not good and had to be redone which I did with Norrel Moly Resin. Turned out beautiful and shoots great.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23172

TC

lycanthrope
April 1, 2005, 09:03 AM
This is no longer true.

Plinker PLUS models are forged. Original PLINKER models are cast.

TC66
April 1, 2005, 09:17 AM
Plinker PLUS models are forged. Original PLINKER models are cast.

OK The original plinker was cast but it is no longer produced. So currently there are no Olympic Rifles in production that have cast receivers. See below comments from Tom Spithaler of Olympic Arms.

The Plinker in all it's glory, was discontinued as a production rifle on July 1, 2004. The Plinker model was upgraded to the Plinker PLUS, and is identical except that it now has forged receivers instead of cast ones. This change was made for a two fold reason:
1. Due to increased production rates and increased production numbers, it became cheaper to make the forged than it did the case receivers.
2. It is a benefit to the end user to do so.
3. Better product: SAME LOW PRICE!!

We do still have a few stripped cast lowers, but we do not use them to build rifles.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 1, 2005, 09:40 AM
My first AR was an Olympic Arms model for the same reasons (budget). I was always very satisfied with its performance.

Lennyjoe
April 1, 2005, 09:57 AM
I stand corrected. How did you know that? ;)

whm1974
April 1, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys I may pick one up after I get my refund.

-Bill

Bravo11
April 1, 2005, 11:19 AM
Will aftermarket furniture fit on Olympic Arms rifles? ie collapsable(telescoping) stock, handguards.

TC66
April 1, 2005, 11:22 AM
Yes it will fit no problem at all.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23172

MiniZ
April 1, 2005, 08:57 PM
My Oly is over 11 years old, and has been perfect.
Yes, Oly had issues with a run of lowers in the past, but that has been corrected. If the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Oly barrels are very accurate barrels as well.

whm1974
April 2, 2005, 07:30 AM
You can slap an upper on a lower for around $515 and have an AR. The major companies ask high prices, because they can.

I have thought about doing that. But what tools do I need and how much will they cost? If I can pick up an new AR-15 for ~$700 then I'm not going to bother.

-Bill

Number 6
April 2, 2005, 08:11 AM
It's my understanding that the Armed forces only Pays like $500 or for each M-16, So why do most AR-15s cost so much?

There are several reasons for this. Firstly, economies of scale is at work here. The government buys massive quantities of M16s, so companies can charge less, since they are making up for it in a lot of sales. Secondly, I have read somewhere that FN actually loses money on the actual sale of M16 rifles, but makes up for it by selling the government spare parts. I am not sure how true it is, but maybe someone else can verify this. Thirdly, there is a basic supply and demand curve happening here. People are willing to pay around $1000 for an AR-15, so the companies are going to charge that much. Honestly, $1000 seems like a little much for your out of the box AR-15, but then again, you cannot find AR-15s in my area anyways. AIM has Bushmaster AR-15s starting at $720, if you find a good FFL, you can probably get the rifle for a little less than $800, depending on what model you get.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Bushmaster_Sunset_Rifles___Preban_features_.html

whm1974
April 2, 2005, 08:15 AM
I guess I just have to settle for an AK then.

-Bill

MrMurphy
April 2, 2005, 09:01 AM
Olys aren't bad.

You get good ones, and you get bad ones. The hard part is telling which you got.

Save your pennies and buy a complete Rock River upper, and then a lower, and then put them together. About $700-800. If you can push two pins in, you can assemble it.

355sigfan
April 2, 2005, 09:39 AM
I had a very bad experience with Oly about every thing that could go wrong with an Ultra Match I bought from them did. The chamber was cut improperly and buldged brass. The trigger started to double after only a few thousand rounds. The floating handguard was installed incorrectly, It shot like crap. It took them 18 months to fix it. They lied to me about the return shipping date. I had to threaten to get my states attorney generals office involved before they made it right. They suck. Most problems I see with AR15's or complaints come from Oly owners. They are the number one trouble brand. Stay far away from them and their trash.

Not all AR's are created equal. Colt has the best quality control and they cost the most. Bushmaster is not too bad but they have problems from time to time. Armalite has several problems. (things like sending out 223 chambers in guns marked 5.56) I don't know about Rock River. DPMS has their share of problems. We issue them and we have had to have 3 guns out of 10 fixed. Stick with Colt or at the very least Bushmaster.
Pat

lycanthrope
April 2, 2005, 11:46 AM
But what tools do I need and how much will they cost?

You will need your dominant thumb to push the two pins to mate the upper and the lower.

Eagle Firearms sells complete RRA lowers for around $200. They are good enough for match use.

Once you have the lower you can order the upper through the mail from wherever you please. Model 1 sales, Adco and various others offer a full line of uppers in differing configurations. Model 1 will be cheapest and great for plinking, but won't be a match gun of course.

To get the cost to $515 you need to buy a stripped lower from Eagle or elsewhere ($90). Then a "kit" from Model 1. The upper is assembled. You just need to put the small parts in the lower. You can find detailed instructions on the web and at www.ar15.com. I didn't need any tools, but punches for the pins are nice.

Onmilo
April 2, 2005, 01:57 PM
Forged component Olympics are comparable to any of the other manufacturers with the exception that Oly uses some non-Mil-Spec small parts.(i.e. the upper buttplate screw for one.)
These can be easily switched for Mil parts.
Olympic barrels and upper and lower receivers are made in house and quite good when forged parts are compared to forged parts.
Olympic barrels are comparable to some of the very best manufacturers when they do their best work.

I don't have much use for the very inexpensive cast part guns but they will get an under budgeted shooter into the AR game.

chink
April 2, 2005, 02:57 PM
I got an Oly in 1999. I really enjoy it. I haven't had any problems with it. I clean it regularly and shoot it great.

jeff-10
April 2, 2005, 05:33 PM
Just about every AR-15 I've seen is like over $1000 retail. It's my understanding that the Armed forces only Pays like $500 or for each M-16, So why do most AR-15s cost so much?

If you place an order for a lot of 25k or so at a time then you can probably get them for $500 a piece also. I have seen NIB M4 configured Armalites at gunshows near me between $700-$750. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal at all. The only way I would get an Olympic Arms AR is if I wanted one in 10mm.

jefnvk
April 2, 2005, 06:15 PM
Just got back from a gunshow, plenty of EBR's in the $750-1000 range. Many ban-era rifles in the $700 range.

I myself bought a stripped DPMS lower for $140. Yes, I know it is high, but once you add in shipping and FFL transfer to the $100 you pay online, I am not paying much more. Maybe $30 at most.

I'll add that to a $450 J&T or Del-ton kit, and for $600 have myself a nice EBR.

jamz
April 2, 2005, 06:53 PM
Alternately, you could go used.

I was in the same boat- I really wanted an AR-15 of some sort, but always balked at the price. Then the other week I saw a used Bushmaster in great shape in the gun shop, and got it for $589. The price was palatable, so I got my first AR that way.

-James

Black Snowman
April 2, 2005, 08:29 PM
I shopped around and got a stripped lower and parts kit. Cav Arms poly lower, black with an Armalite parts kit for about $200. Assembled that myself. Now I'm just waiting on Oly to build my 24" 243 WSSM upper so Atlantic Firearms (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/) can deliver it to me. It was $560 with shipping. So I'm getting a unique, portable, long range caliber semi-auto rifle for under $800 out the door. Not too bad. Less exotic uppers can be had cheaper.

whm1974
April 2, 2005, 08:58 PM
Alternately, you could go used.

I was in the same boat- I really wanted an AR-15 of some sort, but always balked at the price. Then the other week I saw a used Bushmaster in great shape in the gun shop, and got it for $589. The price was palatable, so I got my first AR that way.

I don't mind buying used. But what problem areas should I be looking for in used AR-15s?

-Bill

Hawkmoon
April 2, 2005, 10:49 PM
I have thought about doing that. But what tools do I need and how much will they cost? If I can pick up an new AR-15 for ~$700 then I'm not going to bother.
The Olympic Plinker (or Plinker Plus) sells for $520. Forged lower, bayonet lug and flash suppressor included on the new model. Standard buttstock, but Oly offers a model with a faux collapsable for a few bucks more.

http://www.gunsnstuff.net/index.aspx?pagename=listpage&dssid=f7b467a4-6838-4af5-9f00-1adf602d27d6

3rdpig
April 2, 2005, 11:06 PM
I've got 3 AR's and one is an Oly, a K4B 20" A2 and the other 2 are built on Stag lowers (CMT), one has a J&T upper with an Oly telestock, bolt and bolt carrier and the other is all RRA with the exception of the Oly FIRSH floating handguards. I really like all 3, but the Oly 20" rifle is my favorite AR, and probably my favorite shooter rifle period. It's fit and finish is as good as the others, it's functions as well (all 3 are completly reliable with any ammo) and it's the most accurate of the 3, on any given day it will group under 1" with quality ammo.

I've heard all the stories about Oly, but if my rifle is an example of their current product line then I see no downside to owning an Oly. Very good product, lifetime warranty and great customer service. Oh, I paid $639 brand new in the hard case for the Oly A2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Olympic Arms AR-15 any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!