Is it worth it to join the NRA?

PDA

Hellbore
April 1, 2005, 12:17 AM
What do I get by joining the NRA? Give me the straight dope. I could read what their web site says but hey, they want to convince people to join. Realistically, what benefit do I get from joining the NRA, other than a magazine? I just don't know if the magazine alone is worth the $35 a year. I haven't even seen the magazine.

I have enjoyed shooting most of my life and now, as an adult, I am trying to decide whether I should affiliate myself with this group, and why. None of my friends or family are members of the NRA even though some of them are shooters. I have rarely even heard anything about the NRA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it worth it to join the NRA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 1, 2005, 12:29 AM
...I am trying to decide whether I should affiliate myself with this group, and why.

Part of what you get from joining the N.R.A. is the satisfaction of doing the right thing, which, sad to say, most of America's shooters don't bother to do.

The N.R.A. isn't perfect, but it's the big organization dedicated to preserving and defending your right to keep and bear arms. Without it, we'd all have been turned into disarmed serfs decades ago.

45Badger
April 1, 2005, 12:34 AM
Standing Wolf pretty much nailed it. They're not perfect, but they are the most effective firearm/gun rights lobbying organization.

There are other, more strident organizations out there. I think they are less effective, and that their message gets lost in the fire and brimstone.

orangeninja
April 1, 2005, 12:41 AM
What do you get?

Well for $35.00 a year you get:

1.) A multimillion dollar lobbiest group lobbying for your right to own a firearm.

2.) $1000.00 of firearm insurance in case one get stolen or somthing.(last time I checked, no extra cost.)

3.) Voter information so that you can do your civic duty in the booth to protect your RKBA without distortions.

4.) A news source that doesn't label everything an "assault rifle".

5.) Potential sporting events or training you can register for.

6.) An okay magazine.

7.) A hat you wouldn't be caught dead wearing.

8.) The ability to purchase insurance (at extra cost) in case you are ever held liable in a shooting.

9.) You get to support a worthwhile organization that tries to educate children about firearms intelligently.

10.) You get somebody on your side who may or may not step in on your behalf in case you ever get legally railroaded, sometimes they may even raise money on your behalf. (They have been known to do it.)

Lastly you get to know that you are doing somthing to pull your own weight in the never ending struggle to protect your rights.

Titus
April 1, 2005, 12:45 AM
What you can get out of membership depends on what you want to get out if it. Read the website to see if they do anything you're interested in. At a minimum, the larger the membership, the less politicians like to mess with us. :) Anyway, I'll send you a one year membership if you like, and you can decide for yourself.

RRTX
April 1, 2005, 12:45 AM
7.) A hat you wouldn't be caught dead wearing.

Ahh come on I know you wear the admirals cap around the house lol. I saw at least two people walking down the street with them on while me and Steve were driving thru Oklahoma last weekend lol

Hellbore
April 1, 2005, 12:46 AM
I did not know the NRA was working to protect our rights to own guns. I guess I never really heard much about this in the news. I think I will look into it some more and get a year memebership to start off with, once I get my next paycheck.

If what you say is true about them being responsible for our continued right to keep and bear arms, then I suppose it is well worth it. I didn't really think of that / know about it.

Cortland
April 1, 2005, 12:49 AM
Join the NRA here (http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XP011907) for only $25 -- a $10 discount. ;)

I did not know the NRA was working to protect our rights to own guns. If what you say is true about them being responsible for our continued right to keep and bear arms, then I suppose it is well worth it. I didn't really think of that / know about it.
Now honestly, are you screwing with us? I'm tempted to ask what rock you just crawled out from under, but that would be rude. I do hope you join, it's a worthwhile organization.

Titus
April 1, 2005, 12:53 AM
Don't take our word for it... Take Bill Clinton's.... (http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1184) :)

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
April 1, 2005, 01:03 AM
Yes

peacefuljeffrey
April 1, 2005, 01:08 AM
I like the magazine you get, especially. (I opted for the choice of "American Guardian," which then was replaced by "America's 1st Freedom.")

A1stF contains mostly socio-political gun-related articles, plus info on new products, news, legislative developments. And finally, "The Armed Citizen." This contains attributed news blurbs about actual, real-life people who have used their own firearms to thwart criminals and in many/most cases, save lives.

The magazine gives bad news and good news about RKBA, and when I read it each month, it gives me numerous reasons to feel good about owning guns, and good about the future of my right to do so. :)

-Jeffrey

sfhogman
April 1, 2005, 01:12 AM
I work in a VA hospital. As they say, the price of freedom is visible here.

And in our waiting rooms, so are those NRA caps........

Jeff

Cortland
April 1, 2005, 01:15 AM
All of the NRA magazines have "Armed Citizen." Since we're talking about magazines, you have four choices: America's First Freedom, of which Jeffrey has already provided an excellent summary; American Rifleman - this is primary NRA magazine and is like a mini Guns & Ammo with some politics; Women's Outlook is the NRA's newest magazine aimed at ... (you guessed it) ... hunters. I mean women. American Hunter is for hunters.

Now regarding the hats. I volunteer as an NRA recruiter at all the local gun shows. For the past few years all of the hats we've gotten to give out with memberships have been made in the USA. Sadly the last batch received were made someplace like Bangladesh. Although quality-wise they look the same. Equally hideous.

M2 Carbine
April 1, 2005, 01:24 AM
----------------------------

Well, if it wasn't worth it for me and a couple million people like me being in the NRA for the last 45 years you probably wouldn't have to worry, "if it's worth it to join the NRA". Chances are you wouldn't have any guns or rights to protect.

Ya, join the NRA and help see to it US citizens 45 years from now will still have the right to own and use guns.

Can'thavenuthingood
April 1, 2005, 01:29 AM
Join now, don't wait.
I like the American Rifleman magazine.

The neighbor kid drew a picture of me and hung it on my refridgerator. Wife seen it and noticed the big NRA hat on my head right off. Big yellow letters on a blue hat stands out. It's about the only thing he got correct in the drawing. I can't be that distorted.

Vick

PATH
April 1, 2005, 02:08 AM
alduro ran through all the points very eloquently. NRA is the biggest and best game in town. THe clubs I belong to require membership in the NRA as a requiremnet of membership!

Randall53
April 1, 2005, 02:25 AM
I just can't imagine anyone who enjoys the shooting sports (sporting clays, target, hunting, plinking etc....), or enjoys the warm fuzzy of knowing you can protect your loved ones from harm or death if needed, not wanting to be a member of the outstanding organizations that are around trying their best to beat back the anti-gun crowds in their drive to disarm honest Americans. The anti-gunners sure don't have a problem pouring money into their agenda.

It would be worth it if the NRA didn't give you a thing! I do really enjoy the American Rifleman mazazine and the other perks, but I'd still be a member if it costs more money and they didn't give us anything other than the assurance that they are fighting for our rights granted by the Constitution.

Every gun owner that's sitting on their hands on this issue should really think about what they will do if we are ever forced to turn in our firearms. I can just imaging the horrible feeling of helplessness upon hearing a burglar breaking down my door in the middle of the day or night, and not having my P90 faithfully on my hip or nightstand!! You can bet your sweet butt they will have a gun.....whether guns are outlawed or not!! A ball bat just ain't no good in a gunfight!!!

I wonder how many times someone has thought..."If I'd just had a gun....I could have done something"

dav
April 1, 2005, 03:02 AM
Two things bother me about the NRA.

They help draft firearm unfriendly legislation instead of fighting tooth and nail to simply quash it. They have not always been advocates of the 2nd Amendment, they seem originally to only care about having hunting left alone. They are coming around, but they still like to compromise (read "trade away rights" in my opinion) more than take a frim stand.

I only hear from them when I receive my copy of American Rifleman, and when they want money.

I know it is perspective, but they appear to spend more energy and money on fund raising than on any other activity.

Still, for all their faults, I am a member. But if I were poor, and had to choose only one or two firearms rights organizations to belong to, NRA would be the third choice. (My state organization, CRPA, being 1st)

Cortland
April 1, 2005, 03:14 AM
They help draft firearm unfriendly legislation instead of fighting tooth and nail to simply quash it. They have not always been advocates of the 2nd Amendment, they seem originally to only care about having hunting left alone. They are coming around, but they still like to compromise (read "trade away rights" in my opinion) more than take a frim stand.

That's a fact, although I think less so now than ever before. It's often claimed that Reagan let the NRA decide whether the FOPA would become law, and clearly that was a tremendous misjudgement -- they were complicit, afterall, in the first federal gun ban. I do, however, think it's totally inaccurate to say that the NRA cares only about hunting. They realize that hunters make up a large percentage of their support, so while they often try to shape the gun control debate in a way that's meaningful to hunters, the NRA is very vocal about the Second Amendment being about more than just hunting. Recently the NRA has gone to bat for assault weapons, the FiveseveN, .50 cals, etc. -- things generally seen as pretty un-P.C. I think the biggest indication came just over a year ago, when the NRA scuttled the protection of lawful commerce in arms bill to prevent an AWB renewal. The NRA could have very easily pulled another FOPA maneuver but this time it did the right thing.

I know it is perspective, but they appear to spend more energy and money on fund raising than on any other activity.

Now don't be silly. If, at the end of year, the NRA looked at its books and saw they were spending more money soliciting donations than they were actually bringing in, don't you think they would stop? Of course they would. The fact is the NRA does good work, work that can't be done with goodwill alone.

Hellbore
April 1, 2005, 03:45 AM
Well I'm sold! I just joined with a 1 year membership. It's actually pretty exciting to hear about the kind of political ground the NRA has been able to gain. Good work! I guess a membership is money well spent.

DorGunR
April 1, 2005, 08:22 AM

I thought it was..........check my sig line. :)

GoRon
April 1, 2005, 08:23 AM
You can tell a lot about an organization by its enemies. The NRA has all the right enemies!

Welcome to the NRA

Rembrandt
April 1, 2005, 08:57 AM
What bothers me is when someone asks....what do "I" get? Indicates more concern about trinkets and something tangible to exchange their dollars for than...."what can I do to help the cause?"

Ohen Cepel
April 1, 2005, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear that you joined.

For me it has been money very well spent.

The biggest gain is that the NRA's numbers keep growing which makes it that much harder for the left to fence us in. I highly doubt that the AWB would have gone away if the NRA was shrinking.

Again, congrats.

71Commander
April 1, 2005, 09:35 AM
I only hear from them when I receive my copy of American Rifleman, and when they want money.

Would you like them to waste valuable resources to send out mailing to inform you of things that can be found out by looking at their website?

DigMe
April 1, 2005, 10:14 AM
About that NRA hat:

I just got one yesterday that they sent for filling out a survey. It's black with block letters that say "NRA." Is that what you're talking about? It doesn't seem bad to me. Just a normal hat. Maybe you're talking about a different one.

Hellbore:
I kept getting offers in the mail to join for $25 instead of $35. If you get yourself on their mailing list then you might get the same offer..

brad cook

mfree
April 1, 2005, 10:15 AM
I do believe I'm going to plunk down on the ELP program, *right now*.

MLH
April 1, 2005, 10:33 AM
I didn't get no hat! :(

TRK2AJK
April 1, 2005, 11:34 AM
I work in a VA hospital. As they say, the price of freedom is visible here. And in our waiting rooms, so are those NRA caps........

i work in a va hospital also, (biloxi ms.)
i see at least one nra cap everyday.
god bless all veterans

hrb02
April 1, 2005, 11:54 AM
It's not the only game in town, but it's certainly the biggest, and IMHO, the best.

Yes, I get a little tired of the thinly veiled attempts at changing the names on the solicitations for money. But, if you don't want to donate, throw it in the trash with the other junk mail. :)

Personally, I didn't do the "Life Member" because I feel it gives me more control over my ongoing donations/funding, should they stray from their mission (doubtful though that may be).

orangeninja
April 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
MLH...no hat? Want mine? :evil:

The hat we are talking about are the short brimmed, scrambled egg mess on the bill, with a giant patch on the front.

I think I might take the patch off though and sew it on a jacket. Why not?

Hellbore....good choice. Glad to see my typing was worth it. :D

Also fair warning, some shooters will bitch and complain about the NRA selling out, not doing enough or being corrupt, my reply is always, "they are a Washington D.C. lobby group, I hope they grease a palm every now and again since everybody else is."

Besides, who else is in D.C. lobbying right now?

Complainers are rarely doers, they just enjoy the fruits of everyone else's work and sacrifice and talk about how they could have done it better/faster/harder/higher/whatever.

Lastly, compromise is part of life, you'll know this if you've ever been married.

PressCheck
April 1, 2005, 12:26 PM
Yes. Also consider joining Gun Owners of America, which is a much more "in your face" group.

Waitone
April 1, 2005, 12:51 PM
The NRA gives anti-2nd amemdment bigots a bad rash. Suits be just fine. :D

Yes, the NRA does craft legislation that some interpret as being contrary to our best interests. But in congress quite often legislation is introduced which is far worse than we can imagine and the votes are there to pass it. The NRA knows we are going to lose, so the question becomes how bad will we lose. IIRC that is why the NRA signed on to AWB I.

It ain't perfect, but neither am I.

Chut1st
April 1, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hellbore, welcome to the NRA and "thanks".

Not much I can add to the thread except that the NRA is the "big dog" in the fight. You never hear anti's blasting GOA, CCRKBA or any state organizations, just the NRA. No, they're (we're) not perfect but they are one of the most effective lobbying groups in the US, bar none.

If you ever get to the DC area, go to NRA headquarters and visit the National Firearms Museum. They have an incredible collection and feature a special exhibit that changes regularly. Got a nice range, too, that is open to members. (Just don't carry your firearm across the river into Washington!)

DigMe
April 1, 2005, 03:55 PM
The hat we are talking about are the short brimmed, scrambled egg mess on the bill, with a giant patch on the front.

Ah ok...the hat I got is different and from what you're saying it's MUCH better looking. Not bad looking, actually. Black with NRA in block yellowish letters. It's adjustable velcro with cloth all around...none of the 80's mesh stuff.

Here's a pic I found on the net:

http://www.savetheguns.com/images/NRA-Black&Gold.jpg

The Black & Gold Shooter's Cap is a new member benefit only. Inside the new member's credentials package that should arrive in 4 to 6 weeks, there is a postcard that must be returned if the member would like a new hat. New members also have the option of calling 1 (800) 672-3888 and request that the hat be sent.

brad cook

scout26
April 1, 2005, 04:13 PM
Join your state organization also. They do for you on the state/local level what the NRA does at the Federal/State level.

MountainPeak
April 1, 2005, 07:53 PM
Quit making fun of my hats!!! :)

MoeMentum
April 1, 2005, 08:50 PM
For $35 bucks a year, you get to keep your second amendment rights, and a magazine.

Kamicosmos
April 1, 2005, 09:03 PM
I like 1st Freedom. It fills in a few gaps from stuff I find on the internet. AND, it is accurate and straight from the horse's mouth, unlike alot of stuff on the internet.

I highly recommend joining a state level organization too. The NRA does alot with states, but there is so much to be done for RKBA, that we ALL have to be more active on the state level.

EVIL5LITER
April 1, 2005, 09:11 PM
Sadly enough, the new hat design just sold me on a membership, lol.

Oh well, whatever it takes.

rugerman
April 1, 2005, 10:05 PM
Congrats on joining the NRA, Its got a lot of good people in it and even if I don't always agree with some of their programs their hearts are in the right place. Without them no telling where we'd be. Lifer since 1976! rugerman

ReadyontheRight
April 1, 2005, 10:10 PM
Without it, we'd all have been turned into disarmed serfs decades ago.

What SW said.

Is it worth a few pennies per day for RKBA?

Join the NRA.
Join the GOA.
Join JFPO.
Take a friend out shooting.
Take a kid out hunting.
BA/UU/R.

Share your sport.

ReadyontheRight
April 1, 2005, 10:17 PM
I posted before I saw that you joined. Way to go!

No go wear your new hat into some liberal coffee shops. :)

DigMe
April 2, 2005, 12:32 AM
Is it worth a few pennies per day for RKBA?

Sorry, but that just gives me visions of Sally Struthers!!

"For the price of a cup of coffee a day you can feed 300,000 children in Africa."

Drop that stuff and just show 'em the hat like I did. It already worked in this thread! :neener:

;)

brad cook

Tom Bri
April 2, 2005, 01:43 AM
The magazine is good. The gun reviews are a little bit less slanted than you will see in other gun mags. They also do lots of reviews of older guns that are interesting. I am pretty ignorant about gun technology, so the level of information they provide is helpful for me, pretty basic, not too technical.

I also like their historical articles, although there I wish they would go into more depth, many of the articles are very shallow.

Stevie-Ray
April 2, 2005, 01:50 AM
Welcome to the NRA. If you've a mind to, slide the ILA some change every once in a while also. It's worth it.

Sunray
April 2, 2005, 02:16 AM
"...what benefit do I get from joining the NRA..." It ain't about you!
What you get is a recognised, strong, experienced and well organized lobby group, started by politicians, that has been around for over 100 years. There's nothing like it up here. Trust me. It matters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it worth it to join the NRA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!