King of the Hill--sitcom

PDA

Bandit01
April 1, 2005, 03:02 AM
Did anyone catch the King of the Hill episode tonight (a major repeat) where Dale started selling guns in Peggy's book store. I'm sorry but that episode was so funny, I have been laughing at it all night. It was the typical red neck, anti-government, pro-gun episode.

If you enjoyed reading about "King of the Hill--sitcom" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Combat-wombat
April 1, 2005, 03:49 AM
Looks like you've got some trigger control issues there, eh Bandit? :neener:

Yeah, I've seen that episode. It's pretty funny- although it does tend to mock the gun crowd a bit. I like King of the Hill a lot, though- it's always been a favorite of mine.

Missourigunner
April 1, 2005, 05:37 AM
Yo: Kinda overdone it with this thread didn't you. :) :) :) :) :)

280PLUS
April 1, 2005, 06:05 AM
There's something seriously wrong with that boy...

:p

stealthmode
April 1, 2005, 06:09 AM
bobby if you werent my son id hug you.

mcmoyer
April 1, 2005, 06:10 AM
I've seen that episode a couple of times & still get a hoot out of it!

:D :D

jobu07
April 1, 2005, 06:19 AM
That show is a hoot. I watch it often. :)

El Tejon
April 1, 2005, 06:52 AM
Sitcom? I thought that KoH was a documentary? :D

q102josh
April 1, 2005, 07:07 AM
oh yeah that was great lol... yeah fox does seem pretty republican

cowboybobb693
April 1, 2005, 07:13 AM
It is a documentary :neener: Actually, King of the Hill is mandatory viewing here in Texas. I just wish I didn't have a neighbor like Bill :rolleyes:
My younger brother lives in the Republic of Calfornicate and just does not see the humor in that show, I've tried to explain it to him but,it's like trying to teach a pig to sing :D :D :D

Archangel
April 1, 2005, 08:21 AM
I always loved the episode when everyone thinks Dale has snapped, and the police have him surrounded in the clock tower.

"Alright! I'm coming out. I'f you're gonna take me out, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, 'cause I know he'll put me down clean."

ZeroX
April 1, 2005, 08:24 AM
Quotes from the first ep of Season 2: "How To Fire a Rifle Without Really Trying"

BOBBY: Can I put a gun rack on my bike?
HANK: Do you know how long I've been waiting for you to ask me that?

COTTON: No wonder that kid from the playground stole your pail! He knows you can't shoot!
LITTLE HANK: I want my binky back.
COTTON: You want your binky back, you gotta come in firin'!

INSTRUCTOR: "I didn't know it was loaded" is not an acceptable excuse. "I wasn't there" or "I never met those people" are better excuses. When I was your age, I used to get so excited about hitting the target that I'd run right out onto the range. That's how I lost this thumb, and later, this eye. If it weren't for the NRA safety guidelines which I eventually accepted, I'd be a stub standing here before you.

COTTON: Someday soon, all of you will be drafted into war. Some of you, like Hank, will be killed. Others can shoot, and may become war heroes.

DALE: Let me ask you this: A guy breaks into your house, but you don't have a gun. How are you going to shoot him?

BOBBY: I think I messed up. I made Dad not like guns any more.
PEGGY: Oh, son, that can't be true. Your father's love for guns is unconditional.

HANK: I can't shoot... My aim is terrible, I can barely keep the gun steady.
PEGGY (after a long, agonized pause): I still love you!

LUANNE: Good news! The McKays just came out of the Gauntlet, and the younger one blew away an entire picnicking family!

BOBBY: We did it, Dad! Second place in a real father-son tournament! Can I put it on my wall? We were so good out there. We should always be shooting. This is the best day ever. You're the best dad ever. I'm the best son ever.

Billy the Kid
April 1, 2005, 11:08 AM
i LOVE the way they make fun of activists on that show. They had one episode once where there was an environmentalist who was trying to stop Arlen from draining the quarry. Anyhow... The best line was when he is talking to Hank and he says:

Activist: We must save the Amoebapods and water, if youre not part of the solution youre part of the problem, I will bet you even flush the toilet even if you DONT leave feces.

Hank: Sigh

I watch KotH every night at 7 while im working out at the gym. (yes our gym has machines with tvs and cable on them lol)

halvey
April 1, 2005, 11:18 AM
You forgot the best part though! :)
Dale: "Alright! I'm coming out. I'f you're gonna take me out, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot, 'cause I know he'll put me down clean." Bobby: O-Kaaay... (as he grabs for the rifle).

No_Brakes23
April 1, 2005, 11:44 AM
I can't believe Dale let that 1911 go fer a paltry $300.

Oh, and plenty of us here in the Soviet Repvblik of ********** love that show. Of course having lived in CO, GA/TN, and AZ for a while didn't hurt none.

The fact that the same guy was resposible for Beavis & Butthead, KotH, and Office Space is testament to his versatility.

For those of you from TX, is Arlen supposed to be Garland?

Werewolf
April 1, 2005, 11:45 AM
Sitcom? I thought that KoH was a documentary? Which is exactly why I don't watch it.

The show is offensive. All it does is reinforce the stereotype of the dumbass, redneck, bible thumpin', narrow minded southerner. People believe that garbage.

Back in the days when I traveled on business I used to get so tired of dealing with folks who believed that just because I hailed from the south that I just had to be a stupid, uneducated, inbred redneck.

Surprisingly enough that problem was much worse in CA (where company HQ was) than the NE states. When I'd catch hell in the NE about my accent I'd just respond with a "yuze guys" or something and they'd catch on pretty quick. In CA they're just snobs - hmmm... maybe they just look down on anyone not from Kalicommiefornicatya.

Snake Eyes
April 1, 2005, 12:00 PM
Werewolf--

Everyone knows the show is about TEXANS, not any ding-dang Okies.

Everyone knows the Okies are too busy puttin wheels back on their houses to move 'em closer to the firewater and tabaccy store to watch King of the Hill.

Besides, KotH doesn't look that great on a black & white TV using tinfoil for an aerial.

:neener: :what: :neener:

lwsimon
April 1, 2005, 05:12 PM
Hey Snakeeyes - you know why Texas doesn't slide right off into the ocean? Because Oklahoma SUCKS!

EghtySx
April 1, 2005, 05:16 PM
The show is offensive. All it does is reinforce the stereotype of the dumbass, redneck, bible thumpin', narrow minded southerner. People believe that garbage.

I wish we had more people like that in the country. People who live up to a standard and have respect for things. Seems like everyone on the coasts wants to be european anymore with morals and laws to match.

GSB
April 1, 2005, 07:03 PM
I wish we had more people like that in the country.

As a character, Hank Hill is actually an incredibly decent man. He doesn't understand his son, but he loves the boy unconditionally even if, like many men, he doesn't quite know how to show it. He is steadfast in his marriage, proud of his nation and community, a loyal and honest worker, and he stands up for what he believes to be the right thing to do. And he does it all without being in-your-face preachy about any of it.

Sure, there are a lot of stereotypes on the show -- that really does tend to be the basis of comedy in general -- but I certainly don't see them as offensive. In real life, living in the South, I've run into variations on most of the characters on the show (really, judging the entire South based on animated characters on a comedy program says more about the mentality of the person making the judgement than the show. It would be like making a judgement about all North-Easterners based on Seinfeld).

No_Brakes23
April 1, 2005, 07:07 PM
You mean everyone in New York isn't like Seifield?

What's the deal?

Cortland
April 1, 2005, 07:23 PM
You've left out the best KotH gun quote: "Guns don't kill people, the government does." - Dale Gribble.

Dr.Rob
April 1, 2005, 07:41 PM
Almost as good as the episode where Peggy bought a roller derby team.

Don't mess with my Austin Roller girls.

nordaim
April 2, 2005, 01:12 PM
A guy I used to go to college with had some family members from the region of Texas where Arlen is supposed to be. Damn it they didn't sound like Boomhauer.

one-shot-one
April 2, 2005, 04:19 PM
"Sitcom? I thought that KoH was a documentary? "
if you live in passadena or vidor texas it is a documentary.
judging by the travle to dallas, houston and mexaco i'd say arlen must be in between dallas and houston.

DRZinn
April 2, 2005, 11:54 PM
A guy breaks into your house, but you don't have a gun. How are you going to shoot him? Good question.

Farnham
April 3, 2005, 12:05 AM
<--- Shackleford, Rusty Shackleford... :cool:

Eric Bryant
April 3, 2005, 07:34 PM

I'm from the Midwest, so what I don't know or understand about the South could fill many books. But I see little that's offensive about KotH - in fact, I see characters that remind me a lot of myself, my friends, and my family. If I had children, it'd be one of the very few shows I'd let them watch.

I recall catching the very first episode while in college, and when it opened up with the guys drinking beer and standing around a truck with a raised hood, I figured this was the first show to actually catch the true essense of the suburbs :D

DALE: I know what's wrong with your truck. It's your quote unquote pollution controls. I heard on talk radio you don't even need 'em, they're just an egghead government plot.
HANK: How is cutting down on pollution a government plot, Dale?
DALE: Open up your eyes, man. They're trying to control global warming. Get it? "Global?"
HANK: So what?
DALE: That's code for U.N. commissars telling Americans what the temperature's going to be in our outdoors. I say let the world warm up, let's see what Boutros Boutros Ghali Ghali has to say about that. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
HANK: Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas! It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm going to kick your ass!

If you enjoyed reading about "King of the Hill--sitcom" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!