Are there any French THR members?

PDA

Atticus
March 12, 2003, 10:09 PM
This is not a joke or a bashing thread (I think we have those covered). I don't recall ever seeing any French members here, or at TFL. I enjoy posts made by our European friends, and I hope they hang tough through this ...struggle. This too shall pass. Has there ever been any French people on these boards?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are there any French THR members?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
March 13, 2003, 12:24 AM
There was at least one French member over at TFL.

segpiledriver
March 13, 2003, 01:29 AM
but i have a french last name. i am also part german, italian, and native american. this is JUST on my father's side. i've seen another poster here with a french last name also. but he is here in lafayette where i am.

stephen

PageField
March 13, 2003, 08:33 PM
Cajun don coun' !!!!

segpiledriver
March 13, 2003, 09:24 PM
"Aiyeee!"

Sven
March 13, 2003, 09:29 PM
I guess the answer is 'no' or 'yes, but we don't want to admit it'.

seeker_two
March 13, 2003, 10:38 PM
....or 'yes, but we don't want to admit it'.

At this point in history, would YOU want to admit to it?...:scrutiny:

hansolo
March 13, 2003, 11:17 PM
I ate some Escargot once.....better than frog legs, but not by much:confused:

cheygriz
March 13, 2003, 11:37 PM
segpiledriver,

Who's got the best boudin in Lafayette? I used to get mine at a little store on Mudd Ave. out close to the old northgate mall.

If you ever get to Crowley, is "Cormier the Boudin King" still in business?

Inquiring minds want to know!

segpiledriver
March 13, 2003, 11:52 PM
i think my post speaks for itself. I am not from France and have never been there. I was simply answering the question in that I am of French descent. But also German, Italian and Native American. That does not mean I support Hitler nor Mussolini (but hey-I do like Geronimo) nor what the French are doing (not doing) in our war effort. Hey, my French ancestors came to Louisiana in the 1780's and one of them fought for the Right of Southern Secession. I think the Government of France is a big weenie, along with 99+% of the celebrities in Hollywood who are bleeding heart liberals and are the ultimate oxygen thieves.

I noticed since I started writing that Cheygriz asked about the boudin. Comeaux's is pretty good and so is The Best Stop on the way toward Ossun (I think). I don't make it to Crowley much but I have friends living there. I can ask them this weekend. I'll send you a PM.

Hey Sven and Seeker-two, sorry if I sound defensive but I was taking your posts were meant toward me. My apologies if I am mistaken.

Marshall
March 14, 2003, 12:16 AM
A few quotes regarding the French

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country.
France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
---Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton

"I just love the French. They taste like chicken!"
---Hannible Lecter

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
---- Marge Simpson

No bashing here, just a few historical quotes.
:D

moa
March 14, 2003, 01:13 PM
Interesting remarks in Steven Ambrose's book, "Band of Brothers".

He comments upon the impressions that Africans and Europeans made on American troops. In most instances the pecking order was like this from very positive impression to a negative one. These impressions were not universal but pretty close:

1. Germans - dispite the attrocites, even against American troops, especially the Airboune.
2. Dutch (only the Airbourne met many of them)
3. English
4. Belgians
5. French
6. Italians
7. North Africans

I do not have the book in front of me, so the above pecking order was taken from memory.

Reason the Germans were liked the most is because they were the most like Americans.

The French in general were not liked because they appeared lazy, sullen and ungrateful. Some exception to that were the Parisans.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
March 15, 2003, 12:12 AM
Well I was on I-80 today to visit a reloading buddy who gave me an old automated Dirks reloader, and the freeway warning sign said that it was snowing on the mountain to Reno.

I hope the weather improves.

My wife wants to shoot.

John Paul

New_comer
March 15, 2003, 03:48 AM
I like McDonald's French fries...

Especially while waiting my turn to shoot... :D

Sodbuster
March 15, 2003, 02:20 PM
Aiyeee
Are you... Doug Kershaw? :D

Intune
March 15, 2003, 08:11 PM
My mom is French, she is from a seaport town in Normandy named LeHarve. She came to this country about sixty years ago and still has the accent. She has embraced the U.S., it’s people and the language for many years now and despite the poor performance of the French government and it’s dismal military, she’s got a lot more backbone and work ethic than many folks that I have met. Surrender is not in her vocabulary.

A little background: Her parents had 14 children and while the German occupation imposed hardships and loss of personal property, none of her immediate family died at their hands. The Allied forces however had a job to do and LeHarve was a strategic seaport. Sometimes the air raid sirens gave sufficient warning to make it to the shelters, sometimes they didn’t. During one of the “didn’t” raids my mom tells the story of this old man standing in the middle of the road, facing in the wrong direction for the nearest shelter, calling out “Marie, Marie,” over and over. The bombs were starting to impact some distance away but mom said they could move real fast. As she got closer to the man she could tell that the explosions were coming nearer and nearer. She heard one hit up the street but she said that it was quite a ways off. She was almost past the man when he stopped yelling the name, got a funny look on his face and sat down in the street. My mom stopped running and the man just looked up at her and slumped to the side. One of her siblings grabbed her and pulled her towards the shelter. After the all clear sounded her family headed back towards the house where they passed a knot of people gathered around the old man. An older lady had his head in her lap and was crying. The front of his white shirt had a little circle of blood on the chest. Her father later told them that a small piece of shrapnel from the bomb down the street had penetrated the old man’s heart and killed him.

Mom says that wasn’t one of the bad raids. The bad ones were when they came out of the shelter and the Germans would gather work details to clear the rubble. It was dirty and heavy and then there were the arms and legs to deal with. Parts. She says that torsos were the worst because lots of times the guts were hanging out. Decapitated heads on their own without a body to match them with were hard to pick up and toss. The bad ones were the ones that killed 7 of her brothers and sisters in various raids. Half of her family. The Allies had a job to do. She says that her whole family realized that. But she finally got away from that intense bombing campaign courtesy of the German army, they shipped her to a “labor camp.”

Never ride in a streetcar. Well, never ride in a streetcar with a bunch of German soldiers. And never, ever, ride in a streetcar with a bunch of German soldiers and spit in the face of their officer when he grabs your breast. Conquerors don’t react well to resistance. 15 months in a labor camp making munitions. They did y they could to sabotage the plant and slow production. She says that the lice would almost drive you crazy but the tuberculosis that she contracted while there is what really took its toll.

She doesn’t hate the Germans. She doesn’t hate the English, Americans or any of the Allies. In fact, she was the proud wife of a U.S. Army JAG Colonel for twenty-nine years. My dad is dead now. Mom still works. 79 years old and works a 40 hr week for the TN Health Dept. Offered her money to stay home. “What the hell am I gonna do, sit around the house?” I asked her about the present state of affairs and if it embarrassed her? “He (PM) doesn’t speak for the French people any more than Clinton was speaking for us when he was whispering in Monica’s ear. I didn’t see you marching outside the Whitehouse when that was going on! Besides, I’m an American!”

So yeah, I’m half French and proud of it. He doesn't speak for me either.

Riphalman
March 15, 2003, 08:49 PM
do you call 100,000 Frenchmen with their hands in the air, waving white flags?...........THE ARMY!

segpiledriver
March 18, 2003, 01:10 PM
Quote - "She doesn’t hate the Germans. She doesn’t hate the English, Americans or any of the Allies. In fact, she was the proud wife of a U.S. Army JAG Colonel for twenty-nine years. My dad is dead now. Mom still works. 79 years old and works a 40 hr week for the TN Health Dept. Offered her money to stay home. “What the hell am I gonna do, sit around the house?” I asked her about the present state of affairs and if it embarrassed her? “He (PM) doesn’t speak for the French people any more than Clinton was speaking for us when he was whispering in Monica’s ear. I didn’t see you marching outside the Whitehouse when that was going on! Besides, I’m an American!”

So yeah, I’m half French and proud of it. He doesn't speak for me either."

I have to agree. Chirac doesn't speak for all the French anymore than Hillary Clinton speaks for all the New Yorkers nor Mary Landrieu speak for all of us here in Louisiana.

KMKeller
March 18, 2003, 01:22 PM
I hear that French travelers in the US are being told to represent themselves as Canadians...

cheygriz
March 18, 2003, 01:22 PM
Seg,

I know what you mean about Mary Landrieu not speaking for you. Many years ago, when I lived in the "Big Sleazy" her father Moon Landrieu sure as heck didn't speak for me!

dairycreek
March 18, 2003, 01:36 PM
I think that this thread has little to do with guns per se. So I wonder why it persists here in THR. Having said that let me join in with my $.02 worth. It is not an uncommon event in history where the government does NOT speak for the people. That's nothing new and should not be a big surprise. So, bash away at the governments. But, to me, bashing the French people makes very little sense at all. So, as this forum purports to do - Take the High Road. Good shooting;)

Skunkabilly
March 18, 2003, 01:40 PM
Whatever...

A decent person who supports RKBA, civil rights and wears tactical black is one of us, no matter what nationality.

Quartus
March 18, 2003, 02:44 PM
Intune, we'll take all of that kind of Frenchman (or woman!) over here that we can get!

Maybe we can ship a few Perrier sipping Hollyweird types back in exchange?

I plan to go shooting on Saturday, maybe. Gotta try out a .22 that's been gathering dust since I bought it.

;)

pax
March 18, 2003, 02:48 PM
Closed as OT.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "Are there any French THR members?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!